Mobility Scooter.

Cpt Pugwash

I have been on a couple of Cruises before and i have booked one on the Iona for next year but this time i will be going Solo Disabled Passenger as i now have a Prosthetic Leg which limits the amount of walking i can do. 

I have found one of these companies that hire Mobility Scooters for use on board and though i can walk with crutches, (i'll not be running any more Marathons) so am hiring one to get around ship.

I have booked a Accessible Cabin and the company i am using to hire from work with the Cruise Companies so they can advise me the best one for space in Cabin.  

What my question is to anyone that has used Mobility Scooter or Wheelchair User is there a seperate exit from ship in ports as i know the gangplanks can be at a acute angle sometimes.?

I know i won't be able to take it on tour buses but would be useful for getting around ports.

Grateful for any info.

Cpt Pugwash.

• Like 1

I believe that depends on the cruise line and the ports.  I have been on cruises where there were tw gangways, one for guests, the other for crew and cargo.  But occasionally when returning to the ship, the tide has raised the gangway to be more steep, and they either move the gangway to a different location, or wave scooters, etc. to the second one which is usually lower and smoother.  And occasionally we older folk are waved to the easier gangway.  Since you are on P&O, I would as on that board also.  EM

As essiesMom said it varies from ship to ship and port to port.  Probably best to contact the accessible department of the cruise line. If you are going to Skagway the White pass Railroad excursion was a highlight of our trip. I recommend you make the reservations for that as early as possible. It sells out regularly and quickly. They have a rail car that is set up for accessible travel with a lift and an area for wheelchairs or scooters.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mosttoyswin said:

As essiesMom said it varies from ship to ship and port to port.  Probably best to contact the accessible department of the cruise line. If you are going to Skagway the White pass Railroad excursion was a highlight of our trip. I recommend you make the reservations for that as early as possible. It sells out regularly and quickly. They have a rail car that is set up for accessible travel with a lift and an area for wheelchairs or scooters.  

The OP is in the UK and has booked on P&O Iona, so doubt he will be visiting Alaska.  EM

• 2 weeks later...

Crew members are very helpful with going up and down the gang plank.   I have a mobility scooter and they walk in front of me and behind me and hold onto my scooter (even though I have brakes and in good control).   I always feel quite safe going up and down.   If it's steep and I want to walk they will drive my scooter for me.   They are also helpful with getting on and off the tender boats and my husband lifts my Travelscoot onto the tender.   It is less than 35 lbs. with the battery so easy to carry.

• Like 2