Will Dominca let you off the ship if not booked via cruiseline excursion?

NWHairGal

Heard from a cruise line agent that some islands are not allowing passengers off the ship, regardless of vaccination status, unless you are on a cruise line excursion.  He said that status can change.  Of course I'm thinking that's a great ploy to get someone to book via the cruise line, but am wondering if anyone knows if Dominica is such an island that has done this since Covid has been an issue?   I love to do my own thing on a cruise, but also don't want to be stuck on the ship either.  Any insight on this?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2021 at 6:11 PM, NWHairGal said:

Heard from a cruise line agent that some islands are not allowing passengers off the ship, regardless of vaccination status, unless you are on a cruise line excursion.  He said that status can change.  Of course I'm thinking that's a great ploy to get someone to book via the cruise line, but am wondering if anyone knows if Dominica is such an island that has done this since Covid has been an issue?   I love to do my own thing on a cruise, but also don't want to be stuck on the ship either.  Any insight on this?

Wondering this myself. There is December and the offerings by the ship are dismal. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2021 at 7:43 PM, kac911 said:

Wondering this myself. There is December and the offerings by the ship are dismal. 

I tried booking a tour with Woody and he replied that he is not operating his tours right now as he understands it they are only allowing ships tours at the present time. 

• 2 weeks later...

This was released for the first ships earlier in 2021, but no details on protocols since. 

https://news.gov.dm/news/5225-cruise-ship-to-return-to-dominica-in-june-2021

Nothing currently in particular for cruise ships. But here are the pages to watch:  

https://discoverdominica.com/travel-advisory-for-dominica

Hopefully they get more detailed soon.  

• 4 weeks later...

We will be there in 3 1/2 weeks, and RCL is saying that we do not have to book thru them if we have a "government approved" tour.  But came here to ask what exactly that means, and how I can find out if someone is government approved.  Anyone have any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Dominica on the Dec 1st Rotterdam cruise.  If you weren't booked on an excursion through the ship, you were limited to the immediate port area, with tables/tents set up flea market style for locals to sell their wares.  

We did the Trolley Train tour and enjoyed it - we chose it because it was only 1.5 hours and we didn't want to take a lot of time away from our cabana on the ship.  HAL had a number of other options that lasted half a day and sounded like they'd be fun for a future visit.

Sue/WDW1972

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

At Dominica right now.

Yes you can go on your own but.....you must use a cab in port and they must stay with you the whole time.

You want them to stop for a beer? No, they can stop and bring you a beer.

Note....on MSC right now and they purchased all the Major sight tickets and resold on board bfor triple.

You cannot go to any ship purchased tour on your own.

Also they were all sold out

On 3/24/2022 at 1:16 PM, mscdivina2016 said:

At Dominica right now.

Yes you can go on your own but.....you must use a cab in port and they must stay with you the whole time.

You want them to stop for a beer? No, they can stop and bring you a beer.

Note....on MSC right now and they purchased all the Major sight tickets and resold on board bfor triple.

You cannot go to any ship purchased tour on your own.

Also they were all sold out

Thanks for the information. Were you able to have cab take you to a beach, and they wait for you and return you to the port? 

Edited by Happiest when cruising
Spelling

10 hours ago, Happiest when cruising said:

Thanks for the information. Were you able to have cab take you to a beach, and they wait for you and return you to the port? 

Yes, you can anywhere and they must be with you.

We went to champagne reef and he came out on the beach and waited.

The beach was major rocks and almost no bubbles, so don't waste your time

4 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Yes, you can anywhere and they must be with you.

We went to champagne reef and he came out on the beach and waited.

The beach was major rocks and almost no bubbles, so don't waste your time

Thanks for the tip. Do you remember which beach it was… so I can avoid it, and choose another one. 

• 2 weeks later...

We were there mid march and went to Mero Beach.  It was a black sand beach.   We could only use the taxis at the port.  They waited for enough to fill the van so there was 8 of us.  Charged us $30 round trip a piece. He stayed with us.   It cost us $10 for 2 chairs and an umbrella from a vendor on the beach.  There wasn't much there in terms of food/drink but there were a few options.  It was about 30 minute drive.  Very quiet and relaxing.  

01fdcf8ae82fbd49ce7c2b64a9088c0648b4e3e38e.jpg

IMG_4686.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1