Latest news about Explora Journeys

Beamafar

15 hours ago, TER777 said:

I attended an online sales presentation last week. I asked if they would have dance hosts. The very disappointing response was NO. 

Did you ask why not? Especially since they're trying to go after the Crystal pax?

10 hours ago, AtA said:

Did you ask why not? Especially since they're trying to go after the Crystal pax?

Let’s face it they’re after any passengers at this stage - ex Crystal or not

One thing I did note from a recent presentation was they said they were not going to have a large central theatre - instead entertainment would be spread around the ship - that doesn’t augur well for the Crystal type ensemble shows and larger groups of entertainers. Oh well time will tell and I’m forever hopeful 😉

My impression from the Explora marketing materials is that they are thinking of this as a luxury yacht, not a cruise ship.  Therefore I wouldn't expect big production shows or ballroom dancing.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

My impression from the Explora marketing materials is that they are thinking of this as a luxury yacht, not a cruise ship.  Therefore I wouldn't expect big production shows or ballroom dancing.

900 pax is larger than a yacht so maybe they should consider some of the things that will bring in the most pax. Crystal didn't have "big" productions but they had very high quality shows and they brought in excellent talent. 

They also had excellent lecturers and classes.

• Like 2

Crystal is gone.  You need to find a cruise line that meets your needs.

I see trees of green

green trees there too

I see the trees

and they are green

and I think to myself

I am lost in these woods.  😢

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Crystal is gone.  You need to find a cruise line that meets your needs.

I see trees of green

green trees there too

I see the trees

and they are green

and I think to myself

I am lost in these woods.  😢

Yes and that's the issue. Crystal met our needs. Each cruise line we tries has some of what we need.

37 minutes ago, AtA said:

Yes and that's the issue. Crystal met our needs. Each cruise line we tries has some of what we need.

I understand.  But they aren't going to change and copy Crystal.  The only way forward is to accept each line for what it is and decide whether that meets your needs – for some of your trips.  You may find that one line meets them in certain circumstances and (an)other(s) in others.  For instance, I look at Explora and Ritz Carlton and Scenic Eclipse in the same genre as Crystal Endeavor (despite size variations).  Scenic or Tauck might replace Crystal for river cruises.  People are looking at Regent, Silversea and Seabourn to replace Crystal for ocean cruises.

I have never felt loyal to any one line, and even after writing off one or two I still have half a dozen that I follow checking for new itineraries to plug in to my dance card.  As a wise fellow on the Crystal forum says, 'Choice is good.'

• Like 3

Does anyone have a recommendation for any lines that have excellent enrichment speakers?  Has Explora talked about enrichment in any of their presentations?  I haven't found any lines so far in my research that are offering much of that.  

~Nancy

11 hours ago, oakridger said:

I will check out the single fares too!  Thanks @dodglover214.

15%-75% single supplement. They made a big point of saying they would never charge 200%. When I pointed  out that it was not reasonable to expect one's TA to be available around the clock to calculate single supplements on six assorted Caribbean cruises they allowed as how they would make it easier to see as opposed to the (then at least) manual calculation. I haven't looked to see if they have done so yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Two more ships ordered by Explora taking the fleet to 6 - and some interesting choices on the fuel (hydrogen and LNG) to power a couple of them

The two additional ships covered under today’s MOA will bring Explora Journeys’ investment in its fleet to €3.5 billion, the company said

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/27806-explora-journeys-orders-two-more-cruise-ships-and-goes-to-hydrogen-power.html

Edited by Stickman1990

• 2 weeks later...

Crystal Cruises has been purchased by another venture, retaining their name and at least most of their assets. They may start to accept new bookings soon for the loyalists enjoyment.

Considering that all Explora ships are being made from the same prototype used by Viking, I'd think both lines would be targeted on more or less the same cruising class: Premium or Mid Luxury. By the designs I'm watching online, Explora might to be a single notch above Viking here and there, but never at a full luxury cruise line. I started to know Explora as the non English markets Viking! Why? Because Viking only sells to the English speaking markets, while Explora sells globally! Explora will accept kids as well and that might to be their main distinctive against Viking. Maybe they'll add something else on the mix. Named Captain came from Regent, but that doesn't tell anything else special. Times will tell.

3 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

Crystal Cruises has been purchased by another venture, retaining their name and at least most of their assets. They may start to accept new bookings soon for the loyalists enjoyment.

Considering that all Explora ships are being made from the same prototype used by Viking, I'd think both lines would be targeted on more or less the same cruising class: Premium or Mid Luxury. By the designs I'm watching online, Explora might to be a single notch above Viking here and there, but never at a full luxury cruise line. I started to know Explora as the non English markets Viking! Why? Because Viking only sells to the English speaking markets, while Explora sells globally! Explora will accept kids as well and that might to be their main distinctive against Viking. Maybe they'll add something else on the mix. Named Captain came from Regent, but that doesn't tell anything else special. Times will tell.

I think you might not have this quite right.  The Viking ships are about 48,000 tons and carry 930 passengers which gives them a space ratio of about 51 tons per passenger.  But the Explora ships will be about 63,900 tons and carry 900 passengers for a space ratio of about 71 tons per passenger.  That is a huge difference.  The  Explora ships are designed with luxury line space ratios that compete with Seabourn, Silverseas, etc.    Whether Explora will be a true luxury line remains to be seen, but apparently it has been the long term goal of the Aponte family to operate a luxury line.

Viking is also not an all-inclusive cruise line.  Many of the amenities that will be included on Explora are an extra charge (or package) on Viking.  As to welcoming kids on Explora, we have not noticed any dedicated kids/teens facilities on the Explora I deck plan.  When we cruise on other luxury lines, they theoretically welcome children, but offer very little incentive (in terms of facilities and programs) that make the cruises attractive to families with kids.   So, for example, when we have cruised on Seabourn we rarely see any children (they are allowed).  Most families seem to prefer cruise lines that offer children's and teens programs and have the facilities needed to support those age groups.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I think you might not have this quite right.  The Viking ships are about 48,000 tons and carry 930 passengers which gives them a space ratio of about 51 tons per passenger.  But the Explora ships will be about 63,900 tons and carry 900 passengers for a space ratio of about 71 tons per passenger.  That is a huge difference.  The  Explora ships are designed with luxury line space ratios that compete with Seabourn, Silverseas, etc.    Whether Explora will be a true luxury line remains to be seen, but apparently it has been the long term goal of the Aponte family to operate a luxury line.

Viking is also not an all-inclusive cruise line.  Many of the amenities that will be included on Explora are an extra charge (or package) on Viking.  As to welcoming kids on Explora, we have not noticed any dedicated kids/teens facilities on the Explora I deck plan.  When we cruise on other luxury lines, they theoretically welcome children, but offer very little incentive (in terms of facilities and programs) that make the cruises attractive to families with kids.   So, for example, when we have cruised on Seabourn we rarely see any children (they are allowed).  Most families seem to prefer cruise lines that offer children's and teens programs and have the facilities needed to support those age groups.

Hank

Thanks to the remarks. True luxury ships are usually on the 500-800 pax. Explora will have 920 (or more with the kids) on a larger than Viking ship, based on similar platform from same shipyard. Surely the experience may be more inclusive... Surely some true luxury lines accept kids... But, something is failing here on me. I'd prefer to wait till the cruises are sailing to see what really the product will to be like...

No luxury line has had a 1,000 passenger ship yet.  That doesn't mean that no luxury line can have a 1,000 passenger ship.  A few years ago people were saying that no luxury line could have a 600 passenger ship.  So let's wait until the Explora reviews start to come in before writing them off...

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

No luxury line has had a 1,000 passenger ship yet.  That doesn't mean that no luxury line can have a 1,000 passenger ship.  A few years ago people were saying that no luxury line could have a 600 passenger ship.  So let's wait until the Explora reviews start to come in before writing them off...

Crystal was considered a luxury line and it had a 1000 passenger ship - they reduced capacity but was over 1000 for some time

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, ctjon said:

Crystal was considered a luxury line and it had a 1000 passenger ship - they reduced capacity but was over 1000 for some time

You took the words out of my post :).  HostJazzbeau raises a terrific issue about whether size matters :).  Having cruised on a few luxury lines (including Crystal and Seabourn) I am not sure!   We always look at space ratios with the high-end lines and like to see 70+ tons per passenger.  This generally assures a spacious vessel with few issues getting deck chairs, seating in the Lido, etc.  Silverseas has ships that handle up to 720 while Seabourn's largest ships hold 600.  We have cruised on Seabourn's 450 passenger class and also on their 600 passenger class and have not noticed much difference in quality.  When SB built their larger ships they kept much of the same design as on their smaller vessels but simply added more cabins and expanded all the public rooms  It does seem to work.

Crystal did have over 1000 on the Symphony but cut it back to 960!  They did seem to maintain their standards on that vessel.  Regent handles up to 750.  Can Explora create and maintain luxury quality with 900?   By creating multiple dining venues (to keep down the volume in each venue) is a good start.  We think the key to luxury ships is the crew and the cuisine.  MSC has also demonstrated (with the Yacht Club) that they can find and train good staff.  Our big question about Explora is will the cuisine reach a level one would expect on a luxury line.  We do think that YC cuisine does fall short when compared to our luxury line cruises, although the YC certainly has good food.  But in the luxury world good is not good enough!  Providing haute cuisine is simply a matter of hiring the right staff and giving them the necessary raw products.  With the price of food products increasing at a rapid pace, this will be a challenge and need a commitment from management.  Will we be able to get decent caviar on demand?  Will Explora buy decent lobster?  Will they use a world-class beef purveyor or simply buy good (not excellent) beef?   Even at my ole age I am excited about Explora and we will give it a try by booking one of their first year cruises.  I guess that will make us a "Guinea pig" (to quote another post).  I do think that many who have cruised in MSC's Yacht Club will give Explora a try.

Hank

• Thanks 1