What's the bottom line (Covid wise) on Royal? Carnival just cancelled our December sailing

Tom-n-Cheryl

Carnival just cancelled our December cruise (that ship is not yet going back into service). We're looking at a couple of Royal Caribbean options at this point.

I figured you folks could summarize what Royal requires/recommends/suggests (both pre cruise and during the cruise) as far as:

Vaccines

Testing

Masks

Carnival is pretty much an all vaccine cruise, requires testing within a couple days prior to sailing, and requires masks in some places onboard (though enforcement of that last one was very iffy). 

THANKS!

Tom

Basically the same. All vaccinated (for passengers 12 and older), test required 2 days before boarding (antigen, PCR, or monitored at home all accepted), masks required indoors in most places. Before they went to 100% vacced, there were vaccinated only areas where you didn't have to wear a mask, not sure how that will change with the recent update to all adults being vaccinated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

Before they went to 100% vacced, there were vaccinated only areas where you didn't have to wear a mask, not sure how that will change with the recent update to all adults being vaccinated

They still exist. The shows were where it was totally enforced. The other places (bar and solarium) were pretty well enforced. There were some times when there was no one checking but besides the odd family walking through then it was vax only. The last night there was one family that was in schooner for a bit and none of the crew asked em to leave while I was there. 

18 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Carnival just cancelled our December cruise (that ship is not yet going back into service). We're looking at a couple of Royal Caribbean options at this point.

I figured you folks could summarize what Royal requires/recommends/suggests (both pre cruise and during the cruise) as far as:

Vaccines

Testing

Masks

Carnival is pretty much an all vaccine cruise, requires testing within a couple days prior to sailing, and requires masks in some places onboard (though enforcement of that last one was very iffy). 

THANKS!

Tom

Royal is handling protocols much better than carnival...thats for sure. 70% capacity compared to 35-40%

• Like 2

Hi tom. Protocols seems the same to me except rcl has some areas for vaccinated only that you can remove your masks. Shows have vaccinated area for instance. Shows are way better.

The main difference are suite perks imo. Suite lounge with free happy hour for instance. Ck kitchen on oasis and up class. Js isnt a real suite, any suite above js.

Same 2 day and other protocols. 

I'm sure you have seen posted differences. Rcl sailing at about half the capacity of carnival. Imo carnival is giving away berths to gamblers to fill the ships higher.

Buffet is not self serve and from what I read closed at dinner until capacity goes up, but I've seen posts that Mdr has been extra good with so few onboard .. or try a suite on oasis with ck kitchen and even fewer diners around.

Less capacity to me is a plus.

4 hours ago, awestover89 said:

Basically the same. All vaccinated (for passengers 12 and older), test required 2 days before boarding (antigen, PCR, or monitored at home all accepted), masks required indoors in most places. Before they went to 100% vacced, there were vaccinated only areas where you didn't have to wear a mask, not sure how that will change with the recent update to all adults being vaccinated. 

We got off Mariner a few days ago. The majority of bars and theaters/lounges were designated vaccinated only and masks weren’t required even if you weren’t drinking or eating. It was better when we were on Adventure last month when you never had to wear a mask on the ship. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

We got off Mariner a few days ago. The majority of bars and theaters/lounges were designated vaccinated only and masks weren’t required even if you weren’t drinking or eating. It was better when we were on Adventure last month when you never had to wear a mask on the ship. 

Were you able to sit AT the bar and have a drink or did you have sit at a table?

10 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Hi tom. Protocols seems the same to me except rcl has some areas for vaccinated only that you can remove your masks. Shows have vaccinated area for instance. Shows are way better.

The main difference are suite perks imo. Suite lounge with free happy hour for instance. Ck kitchen on oasis and up class. Js isnt a real suite, any suite above js.

Same 2 day and other protocols. 

Yep, we always go for a suite. We're looking at the Independence (never sailed that class), and it does not appear that there are increased perks at higher suite levels as on the Allure and Oasis, which we've sailed. Not seeing free internet or drinks mentioned (a nice plus with Celebrity or NCL). perhaps I'm missing it.

Does Royal still not allow people to purchase bottles of alcohol for consumption in their cabins, unlike most other lines?

Can one bring on a bottle or two of wine?

Just wanting to get up to speed!!

THANKS,

Tom

51 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Yep, we always go for a suite. We're looking at the Independence (never sailed that class), and it does not appear that there are increased perks at higher suite levels as on the Allure and Oasis, which we've sailed. Not seeing free internet or drinks mentioned (a nice plus with Celebrity or NCL). perhaps I'm missing it.

Does Royal still not allow people to purchase bottles of alcohol for consumption in their cabins, unlike most other lines?

Can one bring on a bottle or two of wine?

Just wanting to get up to speed!!

THANKS,

Tom

Hi tom. I think all ships have a suite lounge. It will have happy hour drinks for about 3 1/2 hours. Oasis class will have beer and wine during the day in the suite lounge you dont have but there is a free happy hour. 

Pinnacles did have access to the suite lounge but kicked out for social distancing and given their own lounge. There will be a concierge in there if you need help booking. 

Tree skier did a live from that's still up and he stayed in a suite. Has pictures but he did the drink pkg and said he didn't spend much time in the suite lounge but has pictures. 

I've read of several smaller ships like jewel and adventure at less than 500 pax. Capacity on rcl is  uch lower than carnival. .. enjoy

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

On most ships you can preorder a package for your room. The package is just a 375 plus 4 cans of matching soda. Usually about three choices to pick from. 

8 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

On most ships you can preorder a package for your room. The package is just a 375 plus 4 cans of matching soda. Usually about three choices to pick from. 

lol - perhaps they should just hook you up with a half pint, or a couple of miniatures!  😄

I'll look into that - thanks.

Tom

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Two per cabin.

Hello,

The 'Treeware' (printed) UK brochure always stipulated 'Fine Wine', though whether the security operators/baggage screeners were up to making such a distinction I'll leave to others to pass comment.

Regards,

Cublet

• 1 month later...

Are there many unvaccinated adults on Royal at this time, or is that really only those under 12 at this point? I've watched some cruise related YouTube reports that make it sound like there's a good number of unvaccinated adults. Perhaps that's their spin to attract viewers, no idea!

Thanks

We got off the Ovation in September, and there we a few unvaccinated, mostly with young children. There were venues that unvaccinated couldn't get into, and no masks were required. There were signs everywhere that told when to mask or not. They were very diligent in checking wrist band to mak sure you were vaccinated in those places.

On 9/9/2021 at 8:24 PM, awestover89 said:

Adults with children under 12 (presently) are considered unvaxxed. even if they had the jab.  On Oasis out of Bayonne they had the upper tier of the theatre for unvaxxed and had to wear masks and social distancing.  MDR, the 4 & 5th deck were for everyone, while the 3rd deck was for vaxxed only.

The Aqua Show had separate shows for vaxxed and unvaxxed.  Ice skating was only for vaxxed.

Giovanni's and Chops was for everyone, however every other table was empty.  Likewise for the WJ.

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

Adults with children under 12 (presently) are considered unvaxxed. even if they had the jab.  On Oasis out of Bayonne they had the upper tier of the theatre for unvaxxed and had to wear masks and social distancing.  MDR, the 4 & 5th deck were for everyone, while the 3rd deck was for vaxxed only.

The Aqua Show had separate shows for vaxxed and unvaxxed.  Ice skating was only for vaxxed.

Giovanni's and Chops was for everyone, however every other table was empty.  Likewise for the WJ.

Parents are considered unvaxxed if unvaxxed children are with them

Edited by abpplh
  • Thanks 1

Tom,

You book anything yet?

Look into Harmony of the Seas in mid January.  We're heading to Antigua and St Thomas.  And of course CocoCay.  Most excited about Antigua. Never been and the first of Atlantic rowers will be arriving then.

Look into CELEBRITY, we were on edge a few weeks ago and it was absolutely amazing. I have been on Symphony for all of 90 minutes, already inquired - I have til 5pm to make up my mind if I want to leave the ship. 

Protocols? I am a first responder who worked in the heart of the pandemic, when we had to keep bodies in refrigerated trucks….. Royal has brought me back to spring of 2020.