Sunday excursion in Barcelona?

eileeshb

I’m doing the western Mediterranean itinerary on Epic next month, as I’m boarding in Rome it means Barcelona is a port of call on a Sunday. 
NCL basically has nothing on offer at this stage and I’m not finding an awful lot online. 
I’m not so bothered about doing something in Barcelona as I’ll be coming back to the city in the future to give it the few days it needs for proper touristing.

NCL had an excursion called Classic Chocolate and Cava but it isn’t being offered (or could already be sold out, I only just booked). I’m hoping someone knows of some independent excursion company that runs that or something similar. 
If all else fails I’ll book a guided tour at Sagarda Familia and do some shopping…. If I can find anywhere open on a Sunday… 

You could do a self guided museum tour.  The Museum of Catalan Art (MNAC) is fantastic - both the building and the collection.   Nearby is Joan Miro museum.  They are both in Parc de Montjuic.  I took the subway there to include the special "train" they have that goes up the hill/mountain.  The views of Barcelona from Montjuic are wonderful.  From MNAC I walked down the stairs, bordered by beautiful fountains, to the subway stop at Placa d'Espanya. I believe Montjuic is also on the Hop On Hop Off Bus route.   Another interesting museum is https://www.barcelona.de/en/barcelona-museum-city-history.html.   They have excavated portions of the old city under the Gothic district.   We found it fascinating.

If you want to get out of the city, you could consider a side trip to either Sitges or Tarragona, both easily accessed by train from Barcelona. Sitges is only around 40 minutes, Tarragona a  little longer . Info on RENFE

Ttrain info such as timetables and ticket costs should be found on the RENFe website, and timetables will be especially important for Sunday travel as there will be fewr rcompared to eg Mondays to Fridays, although the Sitges service is usually still very frequent as it is a popular weekend day trip from the city.

Info on both towns online. We have stayed in and enjoyed both. Which you choose will depend on which appeals most to you once you read about them.

We found a pay what you wish tour of the Gothic Quarter.   Technically, it was free, but not tipping when someone spends two hours of their time showing you around and that is how they make a living just is not right.    It was fairly informative.   Easy to find with an online search.   In the end, it gave us some other ideas of what to do with our otherwise free time in Barcelona.   We were staying in Barcelona post-cruise, so I'm not sure this applies, as anyone just going off of the ship that day and returning had to stay in the bubble, meaning that a tour booked through the ship, starting and ending at the ship, was mandatory.

So, you need to check with your cruise line (NCL) and find out if you can book your own excursion.   If not, you may need to wait until they post what is available.

• 1 month later...

I did Epic 2 weeks ago and whilst in Barcelona did an electric rickshaw guided tour. Best 2 hours spent in Barcelona in 6 visits. The company was called Pura Vida and the guide was called Francesco, really knowledgeable and great fun being taken to places you wouldn’t see on a usual tour.0D733DE8-CF2D-4D27-A2D9-D222F569986F.thumb.jpeg.bb32673137a71dbb3ba3d553c7d87c2f.jpeg