Formal Night "Uh Oh"

Had an ederly couple where the gentlemen was dressed in a nice tux and the lady was dressed in a peach sweater with turquoise polyester pants (something from the 70's) for formal night. I felt bad for that poor lady cause she stuck out like a sore thumb. My guess is he rented the tux. I'm sure they didn't have much money to spend above and beyond what they spent on the cruise itself.

Perhaps her luggage was lost? Or, her formal wear was in the lost suitcase and she had cross-packed some of her things with her husband?

We do need to make some concessions for lost luggage, right?

I cringe when I see ladies that confuse sexy with slutty. Especially some young 20 somethings (can be older) that are wearing dresses more suited for dance clubs (or strip clubs) than a formal dining room. There are many wonderfully sexy dresses out there that do not have the slut factor.

Soxfan05, Your post made me laugh, probably because I have been guilty of it more than once. If I ever see a crazed woman running towards me in the dining room, I'll know to check my wine or water glass.

I do hope that you try to refrain from checking out other peoples' eating utensils in the future, you'll drive yourself batty!

I don't think that will happen. I'm sure you'll remember to blot. LOL

And for the comment about the hose. I just never have cared for them. Even as a child they always were a hassle to wear. I would end up getting a run in them, it was a waste of me wearing them. My legs are always dark anyways, so i prefer my natural skin.

You're still not addressing the question, which is, Do you think that hosiery is a formal night "uh oh"? That's what your post indicated and I'm just trying to understand your POV.

Whethere you personally like them or not is besides the point.

Thanks,

Jane

Recycling the bride's maid dress! It screams bride's maid.

A senior citizen in a prom dress. There are so many age appropriate dresses out there, don't wear your grand daughter's.

I agree. But we'll probably have many here that will disagree with us.

So put your armour on! :D

You're still not addressing the question, which is, Do you think that hosiery is a formal night "uh oh"? That's what your post indicated and I'm just trying to understand your POV.

Whethere you personally like them or not is besides the point.

Thanks,...

Jane

I don't think they are an "uh oh"...but I wouldn't EVER wear them on a cruise or anywhere! I remember YEARS ago I would wear them wherever I could..then my brain clicked in and thought...." I never have to wear those horrible things again!" I'm all for whatever anyone wants to do...I just prefer not to EVER wear pantyhose again. I do like the thigh high hose...not so constricting.

Have fun cruising whatever your decision!!!:D

I agree with the pantyhose and open toed shoes comment. Whether the hose are sandalfoot or not, they just look awful with open toed shoes!

Normally, I have to agree with you. I've just gotten a new pair of shoes, open toe, and I plan to wear a pair of pantyhose with them. Very unusual for me, as I hate hose with a passion. I bought the most sheer pair of hose I could find, a 6 denier, very close to my own skin color and you really cannot tell I have hose on at all. They probably will only last one wearing, but that's all I need them for. If they look OK and are comfortable, I'll buy some more.

My whole thing was the shoes are so pretty and my feet aren't too bad, but they just look that much better with the hose on than off. If you could tell I have hose on, I would not wear them.

Since my last cruise and seeing just what some people interpret as formal, I have no objection to someone recycling a prom or bridesmaids dress. I cannot tell you how many sequined tank tops and t-shirts I saw with plain, everyday black pants. I have a hard time with the dressing down of society. I don't look down on people for it and I would never stare or make a rude comment. It's just disappointing to see people not care about their appearance.

It will be interesting to see what happens on QM2. I know it's known to be a more formal ship, but it is leaving out of LA and a lot of people here are way too casual.

Normally, I have to agree with you. I've just gotten a new pair of shoes, open toe, and I plan to wear a pair of pantyhose with them. Very unusual for me, as I hate hose with a passion. I bought the most sheer pair of hose I could find, a 6 denier, very close to my own skin color and you really cannot tell I have hose on at all. They probably will only last one wearing, but that's all I need them for. If they look OK and are comfortable, I'll buy some more.

Kathy,

I have heard that if you keep hose in the freezer for a few days before wearing them, they are less likely to run. I don't know if it actually works, but it can't hurt to try!

I agree with you. 99% of the time I don't like hose w/ an open toe, however, there are some shoe styles where it's okay. It's a visual thing and can't be put into words.

Jane

Here are a few "no-nos" I've observed:

Ladies who wear a form-fitting gown and have visible panty lines

Ladies who wear open-toed shoes and have jacked up feet and/or gross yellow toenails:eek:

Wearing giant, clunky heels with a formal gown

Wearing knee-high hose that show

and last but not least:

Women who show up for formal night sporting the cornrows they got while in port!:eek: Please, save it for the beach or poolside!!!

Oh no! I'm guilty of your #3 Carolyn...:o

But it's because a couple were in the panoramic elevator with me, and the lady was obviously very drunk, and she tipped over and fell on me!! She then tried to pick herself up and stepped full onto my foot with her high heel!! I ended up carrying my strappy sandals for the rest of the evening, due to my sore bruised foot!:mad:

Hi Girls,

I did spot a lady on one cruise in her formal dress, wearing a very bright pink pair of fluffy feathered pom pom heeled slippers...:o ..maybe it's a new and trendy look?????:)

S&D

redclam.gif.4c1810883cf502ca2495f94d8ae9dc5b.gif

I once had toilet paper get stuck to my shoe. Thank goodness the champagne dulled the humilation!

On my last cruise some people showed up in the dining room in t shirts and shorts. I was not horrified but I wish they had dressed at least a little bit.

On our last cruise, there was a young couple who I think was on their honeymoon. For every dinner, formal nights included, he wore baggy and I mean baggy pants which must have been too tight in the waist because he wore them down around his hips:rolleyes: along with a basketball tank and tennis shoes. Sometimes he wore a t shirt under the tank and sometimes he didn't. Apparently no one ever said anything to them because they ate dinner every night in the main dining room dressed like that. The girl just wore extremely casual, but nothing in as poor of taste as her husband.

In general, my husband is a jeans and t-shirt man. Although he is in management, his job is such that jeans and t-shirt are fine. He hates wearing a suit. But, he also has class and recognizes there is a time and place for everything and dresses accordingly. I personally don't care what people wear as it doesn't affect my having a good time in the least. I just think this is an opportunity to do something out of the ordinary and I don't undersatnd why some people don't want to enjoy the full experience of their cruise. Dressing up and all.

Well MY POV is yes panty hose are an Uh oh for me. Doesnt mean that I think they look bad on other people.....so please calm down. No need to get worked up. Just not my style. I'm always paranoid that my skirt or dress isnt pulled down after going to the bathroom. I'm constantly looking in the mirror before I leave the restroom. I guess I've seen way too many girls with that Uh oh! My major pet peeve is wearing open toe shoes with un-polishes toes or icky toes. So that would be an "uh oh" for me.

"Uh-Oh's"

Chewing Gum!

Getting drunk before dinner and acting loud and obnoxious!

Holding shoes in hand because feet hurt!

Back of dress tucked into hose after visiting the bathroom!!

Have you been following me :D !

Just kidding, I never chew gum.

Well MY POV is yes panty hose are an Uh oh for me. Doesnt mean that I think they look bad on other people

I see. Thanks. Now I understand that we have very different definitions of the term Formal Night "Uh Oh's"

I thought an "uh oh" was a fashion faux pas. Something that would make us think things like "doesn't he/she have a mirror?" or "what were they thinking?" ie, something we think is terrible looking. (like visible panty lines or bra straps, knee hi's showing under a gown, icky toes with sandals).

You started the thread, so we'll go with your definitions. :) An uh oh is not only a fashion faux pas, it's also something that we don't mind if other people wear, we just don't like to wear it ourselves.

So with the newly understood definition, my vote for fashion uh-oh's would be the color lilac and then dresses with large bright floral prints.

We were on a cruise once where a lady was dressed for formal night in a "genie outfit" like something you would see Barbara Eden wear on I Dream of Jeanie. I couldn't believe it! She was probably in her early 30's and slender, and every evening she wore something over the top. I found I kept looking forward to seeing what kind of bizarre outfit she would wear each night.

Another time we were on a cruise where a Mom and her 14 year old daughter were obviously looking for a "Sugar Daddy". They would wear matching outfits and parade around the ship. One day, they strode by wearing pink chiffon dresses and carrying parasols - no lie. It was hysterical.

Archived