Covid PCR/Antigen Testing Prior To Cruise Departure

annandme

Hello - We will be sailing on the Marina from Barcelona to Miami departing on November 19 this year.  I have read on the Oceania website that PCR or Antigen testing is "recommended" prior to departure.  Since I read this to mean that these tests are not "required", I just assumed that, since we are both fully vaccinated, we would just skip getting these tests.

However, I took time today to closely read Oceania's FAQs page and found the following statement, "Guests that fail to test prior to departure or cannot provide proof of a negative laboratory supplied test result and subsequently test positive for COVID-19 upon embarkation will not be reimbursed for quarantine or return travel arrangements."  I read this to mean that we could really be stuck with some fairly hefty expenses and Oceania will not be responsible for them if we test positive at embarkation.  I.e. Oceania seems to be saying, get the test or ...good luck and don't come crying to us!

My questions to everyone are, "How are others approaching the question of whether or not to get a "recommended" PCR or Antigen test prior to departure"?  And, "Wouldn't it be really risky not to get tested"?

Thank you.

I would surely get tested before leaving for Barcelona. Fully vaccinated people can catch Covid and not show any symptoms. I would hate being quarantined in Barcelona if I were to test positive with Oceania's pre-boarding test. You're basically stuck in BCN, having to pay for your own quarantine and return flight home.  In such a case, Oceania would not refund the missed cruise.

We will be on a land tour in Italy prior to our cruise. As a result, we have ordered and received Abbott BinaxNow Ag Card tests (the proctored test, as opposed to the self test) to take with us.  For the reason you state. $30 or $35 for a test per person is a small cost compared to having Oceania turn us away with no assistance.  This seemed easier than searching for a test site in Venice. 

Tom & Judy

1 hour ago, annandme said:

Hello - We will be sailing on the Marina from Barcelona to Miami departing on November 19 this year.  I have read on the Oceania website that PCR or Antigen testing is "recommended" prior to departure.  Since I read this to mean that these tests are not "required", I just assumed that, since we are both fully vaccinated, we would just skip getting these tests.

However, I took time today to closely read Oceania's FAQs page and found the following statement, "Guests that fail to test prior to departure or cannot provide proof of a negative laboratory supplied test result and subsequently test positive for COVID-19 upon embarkation will not be reimbursed for quarantine or return travel arrangements."  I read this to mean that we could really be stuck with some fairly hefty expenses and Oceania will not be responsible for them if we test positive at embarkation.  I.e. Oceania seems to be saying, get the test or ...good luck and don't come crying to us!

My questions to everyone are, "How are others approaching the question of whether or not to get a "recommended" PCR or Antigen test prior to departure"?  And, "Wouldn't it be really risky not to get tested"?

Thank you.

The policy is very clear. If you want O to assume responsibility for land quarantine and medevac costs associated with Covid contracted while on the cruise, you must demonstrate (via a Covid test) that Covid was not a PEC before you departed for the port city embarkation site (at which time you will receive an embarkation Covid test as well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TFree said:

We will be on a land tour in Italy prior to our cruise. As a result, we have ordered and received Abbott BinaxNow Ag Card tests (the proctored test, as opposed to the self test) to take with us.  For the reason you state. $30 or $35 for a test per person is a small cost compared to having Oceania turn us away with no assistance.  This seemed easier than searching for a test site in Venice. 

Tom & Judy

Just to elaborate on my own situation, we will be able to show a negative test before leaving for Italy (or else we will have to cancel everything).  The unknown question is: what if we were negative before leaving for Italy, but positive when we do our proctored test 2-3 days before the cruise?  The O policy doesn’t really address this situation. Obviously we would have to quarantine, but would O provide any assistance in that setting?  Who knows. 

Tom & Judy

We are on the November 7th Riveria cruise departing from Marseille. Since we will be doing a tour in Rome prior to the cruise we plan on being tested here in the US before we depart for Rome. We will test again in Rome prior to departing for France the day before embarkation. We are much more comfortable knowing our tesst status in advance of each leg of our travel. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TFree said:

Just to elaborate on my own situation, we will be able to show a negative test before leaving for Italy (or else we will have to cancel everything).  The unknown question is: what if we were negative before leaving for Italy, but positive when we do our proctored test 2-3 days before the cruise?  The O policy doesn’t really address this situation. Obviously we would have to quarantine, but would O provide any assistance in that setting?  Who knows. 

Tom & Judy

Again, the policy is very clear: 3-4 days prior to embarkation. Anything else (as in 3-4 days prior to leaving for the embarkation country where you may spend a week or so before the cruise) would be a useless exercise since it wouldn’t establish the onset of the PEC.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

52 minutes ago, TFree said:

Tom & Judy

We were just planning to stop by the Venice train station one morning for a free test two days before sailing.  Our hotel owner said that there are free tests there every morning.  I watched a youtuber take one of those proctored tests this morning.  While I'm not a Luddite, I'm just not tech savvy enough with my smartphone to get those proctored tests done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The policy is very clear. If you want O to assume responsibility for land quarantine and medevac costs associated with Covid contracted while on the cruise, you must demonstrate (via a Covid test) that Covid was not a PEC before you departed for the port city embarkation site (at which time you will receive an embarkation Covid test as well.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, we'll receive a Covid-19 antigen test, paid for by Oceania, prior to boarding.  If we pass, great!  On with the cruise!  Oceania will cover us should Covid happen on the cruise after that.

However if we (one or both) fail this embarkation test BUT had passed an antigen test that was taken 72 hours before embarkation day, then Oceania will reimburse us for quarantine expenses and return travel arrangements.  I.e. Without this antigen test taken 72 hours before embarkation day, I'm responsible for quarantine and return travel arrangements and expenses.

Did I get this right?

Edited by annandme
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Again, the policy is very clear: 3-4 days prior to embarkation. Anything else (as in 3-4 days prior to leaving for the embarkation country where you may spend a week or so before the cruise) would be a useless exercise since it wouldn’t establish the onset of the PEC.

@Flatbush Flyer: The only thing that I still find unclear (but there is nothing I can do about the uncertainty, so I will just live with it) is what happens if we were negative on October 2 before leaving for Italy, but we end up contracting Covid during our land tour, so that when we test in Venice a couple of days before the cruise, we find out we are positive?  Other than cancelling the land tour and flying directly to Venice prior to the cruise instead, there is nothing else we could have done to avoid this problem.  I think you are saying that in this case, I am out of luck other than relying on trip insurance, and you may be right.  I just hope that we don't have to find out.   

15 minutes ago, annandme said:

So if I'm understanding this correctly, we'll receive a Covid-19 antigen test, paid for by Oceania, prior to boarding.  If we pass, great!  On with the cruise!  Oceania will cover us should Covid happen on the cruise after that.

However if we (one or both) fail this embarkation test BUT had passed an antigen test that was taken 72 hours before embarkation day, then Oceania will reimburse us for quarantine expenses and return travel arrangements.  I.e. Without this antigen test taken 72 hours before embarkation day, I'm responsible for quarantine and return travel arrangements and expenses.

Did I get this right?

@annandme: By my understanding, you have it exactly right.

Tom & Judy

Edited by TFree

2 hours ago, TFree said:

@Flatbush Flyer: The only thing that I still find unclear (but there is nothing I can do about the uncertainty, so I will just live with it) is what happens if we were negative on October 2 before leaving for Italy, but we end up contracting Covid during our land tour, so that when we test in Venice a couple of days before the cruise, we find out we are positive?  Other than cancelling the land tour and flying directly to Venice prior to the cruise instead, there is nothing else we could have done to avoid this problem.  I think you are saying that in this case, I am out of luck other than relying on trip insurance, and you may be right.  I just hope that we don't have to find out.   

@annandme: By my understanding, you have it exactly right.

Tom & Judy

I agree.

And IMO, O is being very reasonable in its willingness to cover you as long as you tested negative within 4 days on embarkation.

• Like 2

We are on the same cruise but will be in Barcelona on Tuesday before the cruise.  I plan on getting a PCR test in Barcelona on Wednesday.  That should give us enough time to get the results and will be within the 72 hour window.  

12 minutes ago, libert1 said:

We are on the same cruise but will be in Barcelona on Tuesday before the cruise.  I plan on getting a PCR test in Barcelona on Wednesday.  That should give us enough time to get the results and will be within the 72 hour window.  

72-96 hour window per O’s website Covid FAQs

3 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Is that window like these suspenders that my carpenter friend wears?

https://www.amazon.com/Measure-Suspenders-Elastic-Adjustable-X-Back/dp/B07D4CSKW4/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=yardstick+suspenders&qid=1631409759&sr=8-7

Not cruising this year, but if I were, I'd definitely get a PCR test before traveling.  I would also be extremely careful about avoiding crowds or places where I might be exposed to unvaccinated people for at least 10 days pre-travel.  I would hate to have my long awaited vacation cut short, and I would hate to possibly expose others to Covid.  Many countries and airlines require testing before travel; I really can't imagine not getting it at this point.   

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The FAQ's are subject to change.  The current one says:

Even if the country where your cruise embarks does not require a negative Covid-19 PCR test for entry, Oceania Cruises strongly recommends you obtain a PCR test not more than 72 hours prior to travel. If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to at a minimum take a laboratory administered COVID-19 Antigen test not more than 72 hours prior to travel. Guests that fail to test prior to departure or cannot provide proof of a negative laboratory supplied test result and subsequently test positive for COVID-19 upon embarkation will not be reimbursed for quarantine or return travel arrangements.

I will check the requirements just before we leave to make sure we have the latest information.  Things are changing too rapidly now.  Almost hourly instead of daily.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, libert1 said:

libert1 - We arrive in Barcelona on the Tuesday before the cruise, too.  Have you done any research on how available testing is in Barcelona, the location of testing facilities, and possible testing costs?

44 minutes ago, annandme said:

libert1 - We arrive in Barcelona on the Tuesday before the cruise, too.  Have you done any research on how available testing is in Barcelona, the location of testing facilities, and possible testing costs?

In another topic, others have suggested that their hotel will be able to help.  I plan on trying that route.  However, I have done some reading.  It seems that there are testing sites everywhere in Barcelona.  Some need appointments and others are walk up.  There is even a come to you testing service.  Generally PCR tests seem to be 99 euros but can be more expensive if you want rapid results.  With everything changing so fast I will research but finalize as we get closer.  

By any chance are you on that American Airlines flight 66 out of JFK on Monday night?

14 hours ago, libert1 said:

The FAQ's are subject to change.  The current one says:

Even if the country where your cruise embarks does not require a negative Covid-19 PCR test for entry, Oceania Cruises strongly recommends you obtain a PCR test not more than 72 hours prior to travel. If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to at a minimum take a laboratory administered COVID-19 Antigen test not more than 72 hours prior to travel. Guests that fail to test prior to departure or cannot provide proof of a negative laboratory supplied test result and subsequently test positive for COVID-19 upon embarkation will not be reimbursed for quarantine or return travel arrangements.

I will check the requirements just before we leave to make sure we have the latest information.  Things are changing too rapidly now.  Almost hourly instead of daily.  

That FAQ has been there for quite some time and several CC threads have mentioned that it differs from the established T&C doc. However, the T&C doc (a months old PDF in the O “legal” section) also stated that the most current O web info takes precedence.

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

That FAQ has been there for quite some time and several CC threads have mentioned that it differs from the established T&C doc. However, the T&C doc (a months old PDF in the O “legal” section) also stated that the most current O web info takes precedence.

True.  This version was updated on September 3, 2021.  You are right, I do remember reading that the current web takes precedence.  But as the FAQ says, CURRENT AS OF SEPTEMBER 3, 2021 AND SUBJECT TO UPDATES, I will not make any FINAL decisions on testing till we are much closer.  Everything is changing constantly with covid.  

Just now, libert1 said:

True.  This version was updated on September 3, 2021.  You are right, I do remember reading that the current web takes precedence.  But as the FAQ says, CURRENT AS OF SEPTEMBER 3, 2021 AND SUBJECT TO UPDATES, I will not make any FINAL decisions on testing till we are much closer.  Everything is changing constantly with covid.  

We will make appts at SFO (depart) or MIA (arrive) for this January MIA-MIA cruise. The appts. Can always be cancelled.

I will be on Riviera 2-19-22 doing 17 day sunny seascape. In my check in

this was in there.

TEXT MESSAGE AND/OR EMAIL CONTAINING MY COVID TEST RESULTS AT THE MOBILE PHONE NUMBER AND EMAIL ADDRESS I PROVIDED IN THE CONTACT INFORMATION SECTION, AND I ALSO AGREE THAT OCEANIA CRUISES MAY RECEIVE MY COVID TEST RESULTS.
I UNDERSTAND THAT IN ORDER TO EMBARK THE SHIP, I MUST PROVIDE PROOF OF FULL VACCINATION FROM THOSE VACCINES THAT HAVE BEEN AUTHORIZED FOR USE BY THE WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION (WHO), U.S. FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION (FDA) OR THE EUROPEAN MEDICINES AGENCY (EMA). I ALSO UNDERSTAND THAT I MUST CONSENT TO RECEIVE A COVID-19 ANTIGEN TEST, WHICH WILL BE ADMINISTERED AND PAID FOR BY THE CRUISE LINE, WITH A NEGATIVE RESULT PRIOR TO EMBARKATION. I CONSENT TO RECEIVE A TEXT MESSAGE AND/OR EMAIL CONTAINING MY COVID TEST RESULTS AT THE MOBILE PHONE NUMBER AND EMAIL ADDRESS I PROVIDED IN THE CONTACT INFORMATION SECTION, AND I ALSO AGREE THAT OCEANIA CRUISES MAY RECEIVE MY COVID TEST RESULTS.

• EDIT

So I am assuming Oceania at the pier will be doing this. Will be in Miami 4 days prior so I will go to CVS as my back up! 
I have a cruise with HAL which will be doing the test the day before our cruise and the day of in San Diego.

Denise😊