Covid PCR/Antigen Testing Prior To Cruise Departure

annandme

1 hour ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

I will be on Riviera 2-19-22 doing 17 day sunny seascape. In my check in

this was in there.

TEXT MESSAGE AND/OR EMAIL CONTAINING MY COVID TEST RESULTS AT THE MOBILE PHONE NUMBER AND EMAIL ADDRESS I PROVIDED IN THE CONTACT INFORMATION SECTION, AND I ALSO AGREE THAT OCEANIA CRUISES MAY RECEIVE MY COVID TEST RESULTS.
I UNDERSTAND THAT IN ORDER TO EMBARK THE SHIP, I MUST PROVIDE PROOF OF FULL VACCINATION FROM THOSE VACCINES THAT HAVE BEEN AUTHORIZED FOR USE BY THE WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION (WHO), U.S. FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION (FDA) OR THE EUROPEAN MEDICINES AGENCY (EMA). I ALSO UNDERSTAND THAT I MUST CONSENT TO RECEIVE A COVID-19 ANTIGEN TEST, WHICH WILL BE ADMINISTERED AND PAID FOR BY THE CRUISE LINE, WITH A NEGATIVE RESULT PRIOR TO EMBARKATION. I CONSENT TO RECEIVE A TEXT MESSAGE AND/OR EMAIL CONTAINING MY COVID TEST RESULTS AT THE MOBILE PHONE NUMBER AND EMAIL ADDRESS I PROVIDED IN THE CONTACT INFORMATION SECTION, AND I ALSO AGREE THAT OCEANIA CRUISES MAY RECEIVE MY COVID TEST RESULTS.

• EDIT

So I am assuming Oceania at the pier will be doing this. Will be in Miami 4 days prior so I will go to CVS as my back up! 
I have a cruise with HAL which will be doing the test the day before our cruise and the day of in San Diego.

Denise😊

Maybe it’s just the wording (“back up”) but it sounds like you may not understand the purpose of the “recommended” pre-arrival-at-embarkation Covid test. More than a “back-up,” it’s that test (with negative results) 3-4 days prior to embarkation that establishes for O that you do not have a Covid PEC. 
This “recommended” test is required if you want O to be responsible for Covid related quarantine and medevac should you get Covid while on the cruise. This applies even if you test negative at embarkation. Without the 3-4 day prior “recommended” test, O has zero responsibility for your Covid related costs.

7 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Maybe it’s just the wording (“back up”) but it sounds like you may not understand the purpose of the “recommended” pre-arrival-at-embarkation Covid test. More than a “back-up,” it’s that test (with negative results) 3-4 days prior to embarkation that establishes for O that you do not have a Covid PEC. 
This “recommended” test is required if you want O to be responsible for Covid related quarantine and medevac should you get Covid while on the cruise. This applies even if you test negative at embarkation. Without the 3-4 day prior “recommended” test, O has zero responsibility for your Covid related costs.

I do understand. Since we are in Miami 4 days ahead we were already going to take a Covid test at CVS prior to embarkation. I just saw this in my check in. Just inquiring. We were always going to get our tests that was not the question, just saw O was doing the test at the pier also. I do realize why it is recommended.

Thanks for the response.

Each cruise line is different. HAL is 2 days prior for testing and Princess. I prefer O’s 3-4 days. A lot easier.

Have a good day

Denise😊

We travel to Venice from the USA on 11/6/21 and arrive 11/07/21.  Our airlines added a stop and plane change at CDG from our direct JFK-Venice flight. We wonder do we need some test in France, we wonder how the 72 hours is calculated as we will leave San Diego on 11/06 at 7:00am, stop at CDG on Sunday, 11/07 at 8:00am for 2 hours, and arrive in Venice at 11:50am, 11/07/2021.  If we manage to find a test on 11/05/21, Pacific time, how will that play out with the 72 hour schedule??

1 hour ago, Norseh2o said:

We travel to Venice from the USA on 11/6/21 and arrive 11/07/21.  Our airlines added a stop and plane change at CDG from our direct JFK-Venice flight. We wonder do we need some test in France, we wonder how the 72 hours is calculated as we will leave San Diego on 11/06 at 7:00am, stop at CDG on Sunday, 11/07 at 8:00am for 2 hours, and arrive in Venice at 11:50am, 11/07/2021.  If we manage to find a test on 11/05/21, Pacific time, how will that play out with the 72 hour schedule??

5 weeks ago I flew into Hungary. The 72 hours is calculated from local time (in your case, arrival time in Venice), so your departure from the West coast gives you a few extra hours. I believe the difference is 9 hours. 
Check the transit requirements to transit CDG. I’m not up on any restrictions or testing requirements. Best to double check.

11 hours ago, Norseh2o said:

We are arriving Venice on 11/7.  Plan to get tested 11/5.  Assuming on time arrival in Italy is scheduled for 1430 their time, that equates to 830AM eastern time.  So anything after 830AM on the 5th is well within the 72 hour requirement.

Bigger question is whether it fulfills the 3-4 day (not hours) requirement by Oceania for protection against negative results on board...

4 minutes ago, nikless said:

We are arriving Venice on 11/7.  Plan to get tested 11/5.  Assuming on time arrival in Italy is scheduled for 1430 their time, that equates to 830AM eastern time.  So anything after 830AM on the 5th is well within the 72 hour requirement.

Bigger question is whether it fulfills the 3-4 day (not hours) requirement by Oceania for protection against negative results on board...

Perhaps allow for a slightly delayed arrival by adding 2 or 3 hours to your window (or would that be “subtracting”?). In other words, an afternoon test slot could be best….. JMO.

The Covid test is required for two reasons;

1. the number of breakthrough cases;

2. the large number of fake vaccination cards out there.

There was an arrest a couple of weeks ago outside of StL. Guy was caught with over 25K fake Covid vaccination cards. They thought he had already sold nearly 75,000 of the cards before being stopped. The U. S.’s decision to not have a verifiable system has consequences. Even tests results here are subject to fraud.

The FAQs says:

"Guests that fail to test prior to departure or cannot provide proof of a negative laboratory supplied test result and subsequently test positive for COVID-19 upon embarkation will not be reimbursed for quarantine or return travel arrangements."

So my understand is that if you tested negative prior to departure, but the embarkation test was positive, they will cover the quarantine or return travel arrangements. Correct?

What about the cruise cost itself? They mention that "Guests who test positive for COVID-19 during their cruise and are required to quarantine will receive a pro-rated cash refund or a pro-rated Future Cruise Credit", but what about guests who test positive BEFORE the cruise and are denied boarding? Will they get the cruise fare refunded?

Thank you in advance, and my apologies if it was covered somewhere else. 

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

The FAQs says:

"Guests that fail to test prior to departure or cannot provide proof of a negative laboratory supplied test result and subsequently test positive for COVID-19 upon embarkation will not be reimbursed for quarantine or return travel arrangements."

So my understand is that if you tested negative prior to departure, but the embarkation test was positive, they will cover the quarantine or return travel arrangements. Correct?

What about the cruise cost itself? They mention that "Guests who test positive for COVID-19 during their cruise and are required to quarantine will receive a pro-rated cash refund or a pro-rated Future Cruise Credit", but what about guests who test positive BEFORE the cruise and are denied boarding? Will they get the cruise fare refunded?

Thank you in advance, and my apologies if it was covered somewhere else. 

In another (not so obvious) place in the SailSafe pdf:

"If I’m denied boarding at the cruise terminal or arrive late, can I
board the ship at the next port?
No, due to enhanced health and safety measures we have put into place prior
to embarkation we cannot accommodate guests joining the cruise once the
sailing has commenced. Guests will not be eligible for a refund or any type of
compensation if they miss the ship’s departure"

If you want insurance for this situation, you probably need to buy some (if I read the FAQ correctly). Some travel insurance policies have a Covid rider, some do not.

• Like 1

"Guests will not be eligible for a refund or any type of compensation if they miss the ship’s departure"

It is still not 100% clear if "miss the ship’s departure" includes denying boarding due to positive Covid test, but you are probably right, it probably does.

The problem is that cancellation insurance currently sold in Canada doesn't include any Covid related issues, so I might end up buying insurance but still not eligible for a refund if I'm not able to board due to Covid.

11 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

"Guests will not be eligible for a refund or any type of compensation if they miss the ship’s departure"

It is still not 100% clear if "miss the ship’s departure" includes denying boarding due to positive Covid test, but you are probably right, it probably does.

The problem is that cancellation insurance currently sold in Canada doesn't include any Covid related issues, so I might end up buying insurance but still not eligible for a refund if I'm not able to board due to Covid.

The US insurance company that I use for my annual travel insurance plan JUST added a Covid-rider. When I checked prices in July or early August, the rider wasn't there. When I checked a few weeks later, the single-trip plans had the rider, but the annual plans did not. In just the last couple of weeks, they added the rider to the annual plans (with a whopping increase of $10). Maybe the Canadian plans are working on it...fingers crossed.

Edited by AMHuntFerry
my typing has gone to $&*#

On 9/17/2021 at 4:32 PM, AMHuntFerry said:

The US insurance company that I use for my annual travel insurance plan JUST added a Covid-rider. When I checked prices in July or early August, the rider wasn't there. When I checked a few weeks later, the single-trip plans had the rider, but the annual plans did not. In just the last couple of weeks, they added the rider to the annual plans (with a whopping increase of $10). Maybe the Canadian plans are working on it...fingers crossed.

I’ve been thinking of an annual plan.  If you have been happy with it, what company is it. TIA

28 minutes ago, jeno said:

I’ve been thinking of an annual plan.  If you have been happy with it, what company is it. TIA

I hesitate to recommend the company because we just bought a plan a few days ago. Also, plans vary depending on the state you live in (I seem to recall the Covid rider is not available in some states), your age, etc. so the plan that I end up thinking is awesome may not be available to someone else. Even though I found the company on my own, it is the same company that my TA offers so I bought it through her; she has been happy with their response when things have gone badly. Maybe checking with your TA is a good way to get started, plus read info in the CC category: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/. This is where I got tons of great info.

• Thanks 2

On 9/14/2021 at 4:44 PM, Norseh2o said:

We travel to Venice from the USA on 11/6/21 and arrive 11/07/21.  Our airlines added a stop and plane change at CDG from our direct JFK-Venice flight. We wonder do we need some test in France

No, you do not. You are considered "in transit" unless you leave the airport.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

FAQs:

Will I be issued a refund if I am denied entry to the country where the voyage originates (port of embarkation)? If guests, members of their parties, and others traveling with them are denied entry due to a positive COVID-19 test within 2 weeks of their sail date, they will be entitled to either a refund or a Future Cruise Credit (“FCC”) for the amount paid.

So if I do the test 72 hours prior to sailing date and it comes positive, I'm eligible for a full refund?

38 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

....So if I do the test 72 hours prior to sailing date and it comes positive, I'm eligible for a full refund?

As I read the SailSafe FAQs, your statement appears to be correct. 
HOWEVER, also note that the key to O coverage for quarantine/MedEvac (should you contract Covid on the cruise) is getting tested within 72 hrs prior to embarkation. Note that this is an additional test prior to the one given by O at embarkation so that you establish that Covid is not a PEC.

From the FAQs:

If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to at a minimum take a laboratory administered COVID-19 Antigen test not more than 72 hours prior to travel. Guests that fail to test prior to departure or cannot provide proof of a negative laboratory supplied test result and subsequently test positive for COVID-19 upon embarkation will not be reimbursed for quarantine or return travel arrangements.

10 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

As I read the SailSafe FAQs, your statement appears to be correct. 
HOWEVER, also note that the key to O coverage for quarantine/MedEvac (should you contract Covid on the cruise) is getting tested within 72 hrs prior to embarkation. Note that this is an additional test prior to the one given by O at embarkation so that you establish that Covid is not a PEC.

From the FAQs:

If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to at a minimum take a laboratory administered COVID-19 Antigen test not more than 72 hours prior to travel. Guests that fail to test prior to departure or cannot provide proof of a negative laboratory supplied test result and subsequently test positive for COVID-19 upon embarkation will not be reimbursed for quarantine or return travel arrangements.

Absolutely!

We need to do it anyway to enter the US.

But my impression is that if this test is negative but Oceania pre embarkation test is positive, then there is no refund. Which to me doesn't make sense.

14 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Absolutely!

We need to do it anyway to enter the US.

But my impression is that if this test is negative but Oceania pre embarkation test is positive, then there is no refund. Which to me doesn't make sense.

Don’t know where you’re getting that idea.

IMO: What the sum total of the FAQs and T&Cs say is:

If you test positive at embarkation (O’s test), you are SOL unless you have established that Covid was not a PEC and that is proven by your taking a “recommended” preliminary test (at your expense) within “3-4 days” (make that 72 hrs to be sure) of arrival at embarkation.

FWIW: the FAQs say test “before travel” but that can be interpreted in different ways since some folks do land travel pre-Cruise. I would/will not test that gray area and thus will pre-test within 72 hrs of arriving at the ship. Pre-Cruise hotel concierge can assist in arranging that test.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Don’t know where you’re getting that idea.

IMO: What the sum total of the FAQs and T&Cs say is:

If you test positive at embarkation (O’s test), you are SOL unless you have established that Covid was not a PEC and that is proven by your taking a “recommended” preliminary test (at your expense) within “3-4 days” (make that 72 hrs to be sure) of arrival at embarkation.

FWIW: the FAQs say test “before travel” but that can be interpreted in different ways since some folks do land travel pre-Cruise. I would/will not test that gray area and thus will pre-test within 72 hrs of arriving at the ship. Pre-Cruise hotel concierge can assist in arranging that test.

Sorry, I'm confused now. 

1. If we do the test 72 hours prior to the cruise (which we intend to do anyway) and test positive, we get a refund or a credit. Correct?

2. If we test negative 72 hours prior to the cruise, but positive on the Oceania embarkation test - do we still get a refund? 

9 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Sorry, I'm confused now. 

1. If we do the test 72 hours prior to the cruise (which we intend to do anyway) and test positive, we get a refund or a credit. Correct?

2. If we test negative 72 hours prior to the cruise, but positive on the Oceania embarkation test - do we still get a refund? 

IMO:

#1 = yes

#2 = cost of any land quarantine + MedEvac home is covered by Oceania. 
Read the FAQs completely. As regards refund if you get Covid while on the cruise: Again the single most important thing for folks to do is to establish that Covid was not a PEC prior to 72 hours before embarkation. Thus doing that that “recommended” preliminary Covid test is absolutely essential!

If I test positive for COVID-19 during a cruise and have to quarantine, will I receive a full refund?
Guests who test positive for COVID-19 during their cruise and are required to quarantine will receive a pro-rated cash refund or a pro-rated Future Cruise Credit. If a guest followed all of the cruise line’s health and safety protocols, the Cruise Line will coordinate necessary onboard COVID-
19 related medical treatment, required land-based quarantine and travel arrangements to get the guest safely back to their home. Complimentary onboard medical consultations and treatments are provided for respiratory illnesses as well as dedicated isolation accommodations should the need arise. If a guest follows health and safety protocols and tests positive during their cruise, the Cruise Line will coordinate necessary onboard COVID-19 related medical treatment, required land-based quarantine, and travel arrangements to get the guest safely back home. The cruise line will cover all costs incurred for shoreside treatment, quarantine, and transportation that are not covered by the guests’ travel insurance or should a claim be denied. We will also cover the same costs, that are not covered by the guests’ travel insurance or should a claim be denied, for identified close contacts if they are required to quarantine on board or are removed or denied re-boarding due to being in close contact to a guest who tests positive.
All refund requests must be made within three months of the date they canceled their voyage or the scheduled embarkation date, whichever is earlier, or they will be entitled to a Future Cruise Credit for the amount specified. To apply for a refund guests should contact Guest Relations.

19 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

IMO:

#1 = yes

#2 = cost of any land quarantine + MedEvac home is covered by Oceania. 
Read the FAQs completely. As regards refund if you get Covid while on the cruise: Again the single most important thing for folks to do is to establish that Covid was not a PEC prior to 72 hours before embarkation. Thus doing that that “recommended” preliminary Covid test is absolutely essential!

If I test positive for COVID-19 during a cruise and have to quarantine, will I receive a full refund?
Guests who test positive for COVID-19 during their cruise and are required to quarantine will receive a pro-rated cash refund or a pro-rated Future Cruise Credit. If a guest followed all of the cruise line’s health and safety protocols, the Cruise Line will coordinate necessary onboard COVID-
19 related medical treatment, required land-based quarantine and travel arrangements to get the guest safely back to their home. Complimentary onboard medical consultations and treatments are provided for respiratory illnesses as well as dedicated isolation accommodations should the need arise. If a guest follows health and safety protocols and tests positive during their cruise, the Cruise Line will coordinate necessary onboard COVID-19 related medical treatment, required land-based quarantine, and travel arrangements to get the guest safely back home. The cruise line will cover all costs incurred for shoreside treatment, quarantine, and transportation that are not covered by the guests’ travel insurance or should a claim be denied. We will also cover the same costs, that are not covered by the guests’ travel insurance or should a claim be denied, for identified close contacts if they are required to quarantine on board or are removed or denied re-boarding due to being in close contact to a guest who tests positive.
All refund requests must be made within three months of the date they canceled their voyage or the scheduled embarkation date, whichever is earlier, or they will be entitled to a Future Cruise Credit for the amount specified. To apply for a refund guests should contact Guest Relations.

#1 (pre cruise test positive = full refund

During cruise positive test = pro rated refund.

This is very clear.

What was not clear is #2 - embarkation test. According to the website, only land quarantine + MedEvac home is covered. However, my TA just called Oceania, and there is a full refund or credit in this case as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PA Cruiser said:

Just heard that covid pre test must now be done no sooner than 48 hours prior to boarding. Is that new for Oceania as well?

What is this from?

Unless we are tested in a foreign city, I do not see how this could be managed. We are flying in a day early for our cruise, and will be tested as late as possible before leaving. I don't know if we can do it the day of departure, but will try to manage that, if not, the day before. This is all dependent upon test scheduling. From the research I have done where I live, I can schedule no sooner than 2 weeks.

2 hours ago, PA Cruiser said:

Just heard that covid pre test must now be done no sooner than 48 hours prior to boarding. Is that new for Oceania as well?

Oceania tests all passengers at the pier prior to boarding, which obviously meets the CDC's "no sooner than 48 hours prior to boarding" rule.

That shouldn't be confused with the separate 72 hour pre boarding test Oceania rule that governs the circumstances under which Oceania will pay for quarantine or return travel costs if you test positive at the pier.

• Like 1

My Oceania Rep and his Supervisor informed me today that when I drive to the Port and test negative

I have nothing to worry about during the cruise and if I get covid during the cruise "Oceania handles quarantining and my safe trip home".  I was also told and have all this in writing that the 48 to 72 hour test was "optional".   Makes sense as I would be driving home if positive at the Pier.

If I am flying to my departure post and test positive PRIOR to boarding I would need the negative test done 48-72 hours out for Oceania to handle the quarantine/hotel charges etc...incurred since I will be denied boarding.

I really questioned him as it has been presented on this thread that the 48-72  test pertains to during the cruise when it does not.  It only is there in case you want your costs covered if you test positive at the port.  I think if flying it makes sense to be negative using the pre test, jmo.

Obviously trip insurance is a must for for us and these rules are subject to change.

Edited by Nymich