Covid PCR/Antigen Testing Prior To Cruise Departure

annandme

35 minutes ago, WKUWIZ said:

Good day.

Reading through this am I to gather that Oceania accepts at home BinaxNow negative test results for embarkation here in the US as long as it is verified through the Emend.com portal?

As long as you purchase the BinaxNow test kit that includes the in person monitoring.....BinaxNow has 2 tyoes of test, 1 at home that just gives you the results with no monitoring and 1 that you take at home (or hotel) with a live monitoring by a professionall  The monitored test includes you receiving, via email, a certification that your tested negative.  Airlines, cruise ships, etc,. accept the monitored test but not the at home non monitored.

We purchased the monitored Binzxnow to take with us and we will take 48 hours prior to embarkation at our hotel.  We are arriving into Italy 5 days prior to embarkation.

17 minutes ago, basor said:

As long as you purchase the BinaxNow test kit that includes the in person monitoring.....BinaxNow has 2 tyoes of test, 1 at home that just gives you the results with no monitoring and 1 that you take at home (or hotel) with a live monitoring by a professionall  The monitored test includes you receiving, via email, a certification that your tested negative.  Airlines, cruise ships, etc,. accept the monitored test but not the at home non monitored.

We purchased the monitored Binzxnow to take with us and we will take 48 hours prior to embarkation at our hotel.  We are arriving into Italy 5 days prior to embarkation.

And the name of the monitored version is.....?

Also, is there a difference in where you get it? Do our buy it from E-Med?

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

And the name of the monitored version is.....?

Also, is there a difference in where you get it? Do our buy it from E-Med?

You can buy the home self test at any pharmacy, etc....CVS, Walgrens, etc....it is meant to be a quick way for you to see if you have COVID,  Works like a home pregancy test - swab your nose, put swab in the provided vial and wait until the lines turn color.  Cost is less than $25.00 for 2 kits.

We bought our monitored test from Optum - Home Medical Tests & Home Medical Devices | Optum Store ....we bought the 2 pack for $70.00   Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test with eMed Telehealth Services - 2 Pack for Travel.

I am sure you can purchase other places too - just needs to home test with eMed Telehealth Services.

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATZiZmYAZC05NGVlAC1jYwBiMS0wMAItMDAKAEYAAAMSLsIfIjhHS7r1GpBRhsuxBwAjd952iVsnQ4%2FK%2FmuCf5KMAAACAQkAAAD2PrKR9QyfTp40VCKQIet0AARINjTNAAAAARIAEABt2Tmwtgu2Q5s1Rnu8bFmH&thumbnailType=2&isc=1&token=eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImtpZCI6IjMwODE3OUNFNUY0QjUyRTc4QjJEQjg5NjZCQUY0RUNDMzcyN0FFRUUiLCJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJ4NXQiOiJNSUY1emw5TFV1ZUxMYmlXYTY5T3pEY25ydTQifQ.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.QGKFLHCGa3RXxMbNltvNBp9uos7cuK71n-Iwunp4w0-dDlj40999243DsC-U5S84sGsP77R1Y-4gnbxsYVMfvlwUENu5GxZw71ypLo8d_txPDz3vgcj9TpqekFCSpeIFP6Piew1GbxX_S49wen5hC6oIeZg4NYSmhqFScqW-Ta1eokPfUgXEen0PBnvgFHiqMp2CytuAvwDdJty7LpCoNG1ebkfeAr4ndQOqDmX0BEm0u_oOqd1-xi4X5TAgWzN-O8H4dpBk891Q5jerGPO4lpUXCnUp64MX3QXIsxF0sp_9ch9hTy4blilIAYe1e-0Djv7PLGj87xbYQVGeLuSDdw&X-OWA-CANARY=B1A8nEXz7kmompCIXHMyhnAS-KtAj9kY-_VSmUx-GqZOF7N1UedFwrpDtOpCeeO5NUXY2VxdXUU.&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=20211004002.03&animation=true

Edited by basor
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, basor said:

You can buy the home self test at any pharmacy, etc....CVS, Walgrens, etc....it is meant to be a quick way for you to see if you have COVID,  Works like a home pregancy test - swab your nose, put swab in the provided vial and wait until the lines turn color.  Cost is less than $25.00 for 2 kits.

We bought our monitored test from Optum - Home Medical Tests & Home Medical Devices | Optum Store ....we bought the 2 pack for $70.00   Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test with eMed Telehealth Services - 2 Pack for Travel.

I am sure you can purchase other places too - just needs to home test with eMed Telehealth Services.

Optum? The pharmacy insurance provider?

Just now, Flatbush Flyer said:

Optum? The pharmacy insurance provider?

I have no idea - but if you click on the provided link, it will take you to their store where they sell the kits....sent FEDEX and received in 48 hours.

We are on a land tour prior to the Marina October 16 cruise.  Most of the land tour people fly back to the US tomorrow.  The tour company did not provide tests but advised people to bring the BinaxNow Ag card proctored tests.  I observed a bunch of them taking the test yesterday, and we took our tests today (so as to be within 48 hours of embarkation).  My observation is that this works better when you use a laptop (we did) than with a phone, and that in either case use earphones if possible, because the audio quality combined with the heavy foreign accents makes it difficult to understand with some proctors.  

Anyway, a few people screwed up in one way or another, so it was good that some of us had extra kits with us to be safe.  All passed, at the end of the day.

Tom & Judy

2 minutes ago, TFree said:

We are on a land tour prior to the Marina October 16 cruise.  Most of the land tour people fly back to the US tomorrow.  The tour company did not provide tests but advised people to bring the BinaxNow Ag card proctored tests.  I observed a bunch of them taking the test yesterday, and we took our tests today (so as to be within 48 hours of embarkation).  My observation is that this works better when you use a laptop (we did) than with a phone, and that in either case use earphones if possible, because the audio quality combined with the heavy foreign accents makes it difficult to understand with some proctors.  

Anyway, a few people screwed up in one way or another, so it was good that some of us had extra kits with us to be safe.  All passed, at the end of the day.

Tom & Judy

Any idea what some of those screwups were?

45 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Any idea what some of those screwups were?

One person mistakenly clicked on the button as if he were doing a self-test, without proctoring.  One person kept losing the call, and I am not sure if any of those who lost the call were able to pick up or needed a new box.  Several people had a problem not knowing when the proctor was switching the phone to the back camera to, for example, read the bar code on the sample card.  One person had a problem in that the phone camera did not seem to be working properly.  Plus having multiple people take the test in a large room, without earphones, contributed to the problems with too much cross talk. All in all, I would say that out of 12 people taking the test yesterday, at least 3 needed second kits. Some were ready to try to find a doctor this morning in Venice before they succeeded on their second tries. 

Anyway, my wife and I did it alone in one room, both using headphones, and had no problems.  I think watching others do it helped us to know what to do and what was coming next.

Tom & Judy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, TFree said:

One person mistakenly clicked on the button as if he were doing a self-test, without proctoring.  One person kept losing the call, and I am not sure if any of those who lost the call were able to pick up or needed a new box.  Several people had a problem not knowing when the proctor was switching the phone to the back camera to, for example, read the bar code on the sample card.  One person had a problem in that the phone camera did not seem to be working properly.  Plus having multiple people take the test in a large room, without earphones, contributed to the problems with too much cross talk. All in all, I would say that out of 12 people taking the test yesterday, at least 3 needed second kits. Some were ready to try to find a doctor this morning in Venice before they succeeded on their second tries. 

Anyway, my wife and I did it alone in one room, both using headphones, and had no problems.  I think watching others do it helped us to know what to do and what was coming next.

Tom & Judy

We’re actually thinking of doing a dry run before our cruise trip.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

We’re actually thinking of doing a dry run before our cruise trip.

Flatbush that's fine if you order a 6 pack and don't need all the tests.  The tests we received ten days ago expire 12-21-2021 which means they cannot be used for travel anymore.  We used 2 last week will use 2 in a few weeks and have 2 backups but they have that quick expire date.

This is my only complaint.  The short "shelf life".

So to everyone following this thread KNOW the expire date of the tests they are sending when you order.

We learned the process watching a few YouTube clips.  Easy stuff.

Edited by Nymich
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Nymich said:

Flatbush that's fine if you order a 6 pack and don't need all the tests.  The tests we received ten days ago expire 12-21-2021 which means they cannot be used for travel anymore.  We used 2 last week will use 2 in a few weeks and have 2 backups but they have that quick expire date.

This is my only complaint.  The short "shelf life".

So to everyone following this thread KNOW the expire date of the tests they are sending when you order.

We learned the process watching a few YouTube clips.  Easy stuff.

When   I received the six pack in September there was a label on the shipping box advising of an extended expiration date.  As I knew we would be using all six tests in the next month I didn’t explore that issue.  But here is a further explanation from emed:  https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case 01269955-COL-03030 BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Home Test Product Expiry Update - Customer Letter EN - US.pdf?hsLang=en

When purchased, it is dispensed as a prescription.  I saw some discussion on other boards with caution about sharing the individual kits.  But that wasn’t an issue at all with us, as my wife and two others used the tests as well. Each user simply needs to create user profiles for emed.com and NAVICA.  The online proctor/guide verifies the test with scans of barcodes before opening the test kit and during the test process. 

• Like 1

Reading all of this need to test I went back to Oceania's Sail Safe Program today and found this:

"At this time, we expect each guest will need to provide the following: • Any documentation required from the country where the guest is embarking the vessel. This could include but not be limited to proof of a specific negative COVID-19 test result. These requirements will vary by country and is the responsibility of the guest; • All guests must provide proof of being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 with an authorized vaccine at least 2 weeks prior to their sail date; • Negative COVID-19 antigen test result prior to embarkation, which will be administered and paid for by the Cruise Line; • Completed health questionnaire (prior to embarkation); • Standard travel documents, including passport or any visas as required..."

Do we need to test prior to the cruise or will Oceania step in?  Thoughts?

'

On 9/30/2021 at 12:40 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Let’s look closely at three O items that make the pre-cruise “recommended” Covid test essential for refunds et al. (I’ll add my analysis in bolded talics.) BTW, I am not questioning O’s complimentary provided Covid onboard care under any circumstances. My concern regards coverage for (during/following the cruise) land-based Covid quarantine, treatment and MedEvac).

From the SailSafe FAQs:

Am I required to test for Covid prior to traveling?
......Guests that fail to test prior to departure or cannot provide proof of a negative laboratory supplied test result and subsequently test positive for COVID-19 upon embarkation will not be reimbursed for quarantine or return travel arrangements.

Of course, this is critical for anyone flying to embarkation since there can be substantial costs related to air tix, accommodations, etc. But, the same holds true for those who drive a long distance requiring car expenses, hotel (enroute) etc.

Section 5f and 5g of Oceania’s Ticket Contract:

f. Known or Suspected COVID-19 Case Before Boarding. You agree that if at any time within 14 days prior to scheduled embarkation, You test positive for COVID-19, exhibit signs or symptoms of COVID-19, have had close contact with a person confirmed or suspected as having COVID-19, or We otherwise determine in Our sole discretion that You are unfit to board because of any communicable illness, We will deny You boarding. Under these circumstances, unless We determine that You have failed to comply with Our COVID-19 Policies and Procedures or this Ticket Contract, if You are denied boarding because of a known or suspected infection with COVID-19, You will be entitled to a future cruise credit equal in value to the amount You paid to Us as Cruise Fare, or if required by law, a refund equal in value to the amount You paid to Us as Cruise Fare, subject to Your providing verification satisfactory to Us of results of tests administered by providers other than those retained by Us. Under no circumstances shall We have any other liability for any compensation or other damages whatsoever, including but not limited to compensation for lodging or travel.

Whether you intend to drive or fly: if you can’t prove you tested Covid positive within 2 weeks prior to the cruise, you are SOL for a refund).

g. Known or Suspected COVID-19 Case After Boarding. You further understand and agree that if, after boarding, and even if You have fully complied with all COVID-19 Policies and Procedures, You test positive for COVID-19 or exhibits signs or symptoms of COVID-19, We may disembark, refuse re-boarding after a shore excursion, or quarantine You as well as members of Your travelling party, or take other steps which We determine, in Our sole discretion, are necessary under the circumstances to protect the health and well-being of others. Under these circumstances, if You have a known or suspected case of infection with COVID-19 and You are disembarked, refused re-boarding, or quarantined, You shall be entitled to a prorated future cruise credit for the unused portion of the Cruise Fare or if required by law, a prorated refund for the unused portion of the Cruise Fare. You are responsible for all other related costs and fines, including without limitation travel expense. Under no circumstances shall We be liable to You for any other costs, damages or expenses whatsoever incurred by You.

IMO, Ticket contract 5g contradicts the SailSafe FAQs: If you test positive onboard, the Ticket Contract says “you’re not covered” while the SailSafe FAQs say “you are covered” for Covid related expenses beyond the fare refund.

Further complicating the issues is this statement in the

Introduction to the Ticket Contract: In addition, in the event of any conflict between the COVID-19 policies, procedures and conditions set forth in Clause 5 or elsewhere herein and as those policies, procedures and conditions are set forth at www.oceaniacruises.com/health, the website controls. 

Surprise! ALL of these documents are on the website!!!

And, by error (or intention), there is no mention of what happens if you test a false negative at embarkation as evidenced by symptoms soon after boarding and a positive retest??? Your evidence of the  negative “recommended” pre-cruise test within 72-96 hours prior to embarkation would sure come in handy in that “whizzing match.” Thus, what happens once onboard really can be affected by whether or not you established (prior to the cruise) that Covid was not a PreExistingCondition.

Bottom line is: “Slice it or dice it” any way one wants but, Without a non-O negative Covid test within 72-96 hours before embarkation, one can be SOL on all sorts of fronts.

WKUWIZ, 

I provide for you here a previous post by Flatbush flyer. He provides a lot of information although it is now a few weeks old. So double check to see if there’s anything newer.

2 hours ago, WKUWIZ said:

Reading all of this need to test I went back to Oceania's Sail Safe Program today and found this:

"At this time, we expect each guest will need to provide the following: • Any documentation required from the country where the guest is embarking the vessel. This could include but not be limited to proof of a specific negative COVID-19 test result. These requirements will vary by country and is the responsibility of the guest; • All guests must provide proof of being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 with an authorized vaccine at least 2 weeks prior to their sail date; • Negative COVID-19 antigen test result prior to embarkation, which will be administered and paid for by the Cruise Line; • Completed health questionnaire (prior to embarkation); • Standard travel documents, including passport or any visas as required..."

'

The answer to your question depends on the rules of your departure country and all ports of call at the time of your cruise. In some cases the antigen test performed by Oceania at the pier prior to embarkation will be sufficient but in other cases there may be other testing required and you may have to obtain those tests yourself. For example if Oceania were doing Bermuda cruises right now, which it isn't, you would be required to obtain a PCR test at your own expense no earlier than 96 hours prior to your cruise departure and also file an application for Travel Authorization with Bermuda's government and pay a $75 fee for application processing and yet another test when you arrive in Bermuda.

So really your question can't be answered without knowing your itinerary, and as is the norm right now the requirements may change at any time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WKUWIZ said:

These requirements will vary by country and is the responsibility of the guest; • All guests must provide proof of being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 with an authorized vaccine at least 2 weeks prior to their sail date;

Negative COVID-19 antigen test result prior to embarkation, which will be administered and paid for by the Cruise Line; • Completed health questionnaire (prior to embarkation); • Standard travel documents, including passport or any visas as required..."

'

My interpretation of the question was that the OP understood the testing requirement to satisfy entry requirements to the country of embarkation. Thus, the remaining question asked specifically is whether the passenger needs any additional test prior to embarkation.
Since passengers may enter the country at any point prior to embarkation, it is important to realize the necessity of establishing the passenger did not have Covid in the 72 hour period prior to embarkation. Flatbush flyer goes into great detail in his post(s).

This topic has been discussed extensively. I’m sure it is worth the time and effort to review this thread in detail.

Edited by PhD-iva
Typo
  • Like 1

Just checked the E-Med website today for the current availability of the Abbott BINAX telemedicine Covid test (the version required for international travel). The popular 6 pack (backup tests are strongly recommended in every review we’ve read) is currently “out of stock.”

FWIW: Since we’ve already established the importance of taking the “recommended” pre-cruise test before embarkation day, folks planning on the BINAX test may want to have a backup plan. We just made appts. at SFO for the day before our flight to our January cruise.

55 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Just checked the E-Med website today for the current availability of the Abbott BINAX telemedicine Covid test (the version required for international travel). The popular 6 pack (backup tests are strongly recommended in every review we’ve read) is currently “out of stock.”

FWIW: Since we’ve already established the importance of taking the “recommended” pre-cruise test before embarkation day, folks planning on the BINAX test may want to have a backup plan. We just made appts. at SFO for the day before our flight to our January cruise.

and there's piles of them at our little podunk Walgreens. Huh, go figure. Was just in there today. 

Just now, ORV said:

and there's piles of them at our little podunk Walgreens. Huh, go figure. Was just in there today. 

Unfortunately the ones for sale in Walgreens, CVS, etc. are only the home test without proctoring and not accepted for travel.  You need to use the proctored test for travel and they are not sold in local stores, only online.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:

Wrong version(?)

it is my understanding that the ones readily available in pharmacies say “OTC” on the outside of the box while the ones for the E-Med telemedicine proctoring say “Rx”  and (I think) they also say “E-Med.” 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ORV said:

Got it, I wasn't aware there were two versions as I hadn't looked at them that closely. All I saw was a big display that the boxes said Abbot Binax on them. 

Since we had heard/read that some folks screw up the procedure, we went looking for “how to” videos. 
Though this one is homemade, it is very comprehensive making several very important points for a correct procedure.

Do we know positively that these tests are acceptable? I read on one thread that a person called O and asked and was told they were considered home tests and not acceptable.  I hope I’m wrong about that because it’s certainly the easiest solution when we are out of the country. 

42 minutes ago, jeno said:

Do we know positively that these tests are acceptable? I read on one thread that a person called O and asked and was told they were considered home tests and not acceptable.  I hope I’m wrong about that because it’s certainly the easiest solution when we are out of the country. 

Again, there are TWO versions: OTC home test and Rx telemedicine proctored version (available from E-Med). 

As with any cruise line, that random phone rep may/may not be correct. In any case, the current 10/13/21 O SailSafe FAQs make no mention of excluding telemedicine in establishing a “laboratory” tests: 

Oceania Cruises strongly recommends you obtain a PCR test not more than 72 hours prior to embarkation. If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to at a minimum take a laboratory administered COVID-19 Antigen test not more than 72 hours prior to embarkation.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Again, there are TWO versions: OTC home test and Rx telemedicine proctored version (available from E-Med). 

FYI, the proctored version hasn't required a prescription since March 31. The reason the packaging may still show "Rx" is because the particular test kit was manufactured before that date, when it still required a prescription. Those older kits are still around because the FDA extended their expiration dates.

There's big shortage of the various Abbott-manufactured antigen test kits because the company incorrectly assumed demand would plummet after a substantial percentage of the US population was vaccinated. they ceased manufacturing the kits, laid off workers, and to add insult to injury actually destroyed stock that was on hand. They've been unable to adequately ramp up production to the level needed to meet demand .

Here's the press release announcing that the FDA approved the tests for non prescription use. The italicized quote is near the end of the press release, which BTW also applied to the non-proctored version.

https://abbott.mediaroom.com/2021-03-31-Abbotts-BinaxNOW-TM-Rapid-Antigen-Self-Test-Receives-FDA-Emergency-Use-Authorization-for-Asymptomatic-Over-the-Counter-Non-Prescription-Multi-Test-Use

The BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card 2 Home Test is a lateral flow immunoassay intended for the qualitative detection of nucleocapsid protein antigen from SARS-CoV-2 in direct anterior nasal (nares) swabs from individuals with or without symptoms or other epidemiological reasons to suspect COVID-19 infection when tested twice over three days with at least 36 hours between tests.  This test is authorized for non-prescription home use with self-collected observed direct anterior nasal (nares) swab samples from individuals aged 15 years or older or adult collected anterior nasal swab samples from individuals aged two years or older. The BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card 2 Home Test is to be performed only with the supervision of a telehealth proctor.