Carrier choice question please !

Ashland

I'm just starting to look at air for my July 2022 cruise roundtrip LAX-AMS.

Choices for business class....KLM (using DL) non-stop. I've never used KLM....so tell me how it is please?

DL ONE (which I love) but has one stop.

Dates of travel would be around July 22nd (cruise starts the 26th) and return Aug 7th.

Thanks to any one that can lead me in the right direction these flights are around $3k+ pp

I'd take neither.

The KL seats on the 787 have gotten mixed reviews for being both narrow and hard.  But you would get a Delft house.  Plus, I am seeing the non-stop as running about $500 more than a one-stop.

The DL One would mean a domestic flight to either SLC, DTW or MSP, then non-stop to AMS.  Nice, but I prefer to max out my time on the longest leg - most time for sleep and enjoying the product.

I would be on the AF non-stop to CDG, then connecting to one of the many flights on AF and KL onward to AMS.  Advantage is that your first (and most stressful) leg is on the AF 777, which has one of the best TATL biz seating arrangements.  True, it doesn't have the DL door, but I still prefer the layout and the AF service.   And you would have almost 11 hours on the aircraft, giving you more time for rest, even with a dinner meal.

So my outbound choices would be:

AF metal via CDG

DL metal via SLC (if DL1 equipment to AMS)

KL non-stop

Of course, YMMV.

For the return, it looks as though the best pricing is AMS-SEA-LAX, all on DL metal.  So I would just be booking a DL ticket, utilizing their codeshares on AF/KL on the outbound and DL metal on the return.

I have flown on KLM from ATL to AMS in Economy and was pleased.  I think the aircraft was a A330.  Seat comfort was good, until later in the flight, my thighs began to complain because of the shortness of the seat.  The only meal service was to be breakfast before arriving in AMS.  We had a full dinner service after leaving ATL.  Service was friendly.

I would consider Business Class on KLM regardless of some reviews.  

Delta One?  I have flown in that class several times and it's a superior service.  Usually.  On my flight from Argentina to ATL, my aisle of the 767 had a Flight Attendant that ought not to have been assigned to Business Class, in my opinion.  (The difference in service/attitude of the Flight Attendant whose aisle was on the other side of the cabin was noticeable.)  

On 9/11/2021 at 2:52 PM, FlyerTalker said:

I'd take neither.

The KL seats on the 787 have gotten mixed reviews for being both narrow and hard.  But you would get a Delft house.  Plus, I am seeing the non-stop as running about $500 more than a one-stop.

The DL One would mean a domestic flight to either SLC, DTW or MSP, then non-stop to AMS.  Nice, but I prefer to max out my time on the longest leg - most time for sleep and enjoying the product.

I would be on the AF non-stop to CDG, then connecting to one of the many flights on AF and KL onward to AMS.  Advantage is that your first (and most stressful) leg is on the AF 777, which has one of the best TATL biz seating arrangements.  True, it doesn't have the DL door, but I still prefer the layout and the AF service.   And you would have almost 11 hours on the aircraft, giving you more time for rest, even with a dinner meal.

So my outbound choices would be:

AF metal via CDG

DL metal via SLC (if DL1 equipment to AMS)

KL non-stop

Of course, YMMV.

For the return, it looks as though the best pricing is AMS-SEA-LAX, all on DL metal.  So I would just be booking a DL ticket, utilizing their codeshares on AF/KL on the outbound and DL metal on the return.

Thank you so very much for your helpful opinion....I'm kinda at this early point considering the DL One option connecting in SLC....and the SEA connection for the return. Since my roundtrip pricing  was just released perhaps I should wait just a bit before booking....that's always a hard call to do that or not. I know I've read some thoughts about that strategy.

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I have flown on KLM from ATL to AMS in Economy and was pleased.  I think the aircraft was a A330.  Seat comfort was good, until later in the flight, my thighs began to complain because of the shortness of the seat.  The only meal service was to be breakfast before arriving in AMS.  We had a full dinner service after leaving ATL.  Service was friendly.

I would consider Business Class on KLM regardless of some reviews.  

Delta One?  I have flown in that class several times and it's a superior service.  Usually.  On my flight from Argentina to ATL, my aisle of the 767 had a Flight Attendant that ought not to have been assigned to Business Class, in my opinion.  (The difference in service/attitude of the Flight Attendant whose aisle was on the other side of the cabin was noticeable.)  

I was all set to do the business class on KLM this past July when my cruise was cancelled including my flights. I've since read the good and bad about this choice.

I must say we've flown DL One several times and have always enjoyed them too. Sorry you had one not so good experience but you never know.

Thanks so much for sharing your opinion....I always value and appreciate feed back.

I'm also seeing for the outbound connecting via SEA...thinking that might work instead of SLC...thoughts?

Hoping that KLM non-stop return flight (12:45pm departure from AMS might work) and go down in price..I would then consider it and take my chances with KLM.

Thoughts also about the flight timing. My ship arrives back into port at 6:00am and we should be able to have the concierge help us to depart early.

So sorry for being so needy...for some reason this particular international flight (not my first) is causing uncertainty.

Edited by Ashland

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

So sorry for being so needy...for some reason this particular international flight (not my first) is causing uncertainty.

Don't feel badly.  I have had itineraries that have caused me more concern than others.  

18 hours ago, Ashland said:

Sorry you had one not so good experience but you never know.

That's part of the "adventure" of travel.  What will this trip be like?  

On one domestic Delta flight, I was really surprised (and pleased) to find my First Class seat was on a Delta One 767 with service that matched to what I had experienced on international flights.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

On one domestic Delta flight, I was really surprised (and pleased) to find my First Class seat was on a Delta One 767 with service that matched to what I had experienced on international flights.  

With drastically reduced international flying, a lot of those aircraft are being repositioned for domestic routes.  Or, it could be a maintenance reposition.

Note that although the equipment is configured for international business class, the onboard service will still be the same domestic F soft product.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

a lot of those aircraft are being repositioned for domestic routes.  Or, it could be a maintenance reposition.

It was a SFO to DTW flight.  

22 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

the onboard service will still be the same domestic F soft product.

It was the best Delta domestic F soft product that I have experienced.