Question for the ladies, high maintenance hair issues

SummerBeee

Hi ladies

I love to cruise and have several b2b scheduled, longest is 5 weeks.

My naturally curly hair is high maintenance, ok if inside all day - gets crazy out in the humidity.  It also dislikes the ship water and my favorite hair dryer is bulky, and then there is all the products

I’ve been thinking about getting a wig. Anyone have history of wearing a wig on board? Any tips, tricks, advice? My fear is that it would fly off my head. 
Feel free to private message if you prefer to give advice that way.

Thanks

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SummerBeeSweet said:

Hi ladies

I love to cruise and have several b2b scheduled, longest is 5 weeks.

My naturally curly hair is high maintenance, ok if inside all day - gets crazy out in the humidity.  It also dislikes the ship water and my favorite hair dryer is bulky, and then there is all the products

I’ve been thinking about getting a wig. Anyone have history of wearing a wig on board? Any tips, tricks, advice? My fear is that it would fly off my head. 
Feel free to private message if you prefer to give advice that way.

Thanks

Here’s a good board to ask. That way, you will get answers from all cruise lines.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/107-cruise-fashions-amp-beauty/

Personally, a wig in hot/humid weather would drive me crazy. I have curly hair, but it’s short, so manageable. 

I'm with PurpleHays here.  I let my hair have a vacation.  Some of my best hair comes out on vacation and I wish I could get it that way here at home where I don't have humidity.  

Look into a travel diffuser to help shape your hair.   Don't go the wig route!!!  That would be miserably hot. 

• Like 3

On 9/11/2021 at 4:50 PM, PurpleHays said:

Mine frizzes in the humidity and  I let it. After all, I'm on vacation--so is my hair.

plus 9 million!!!!! We were in SE Asia a few years ago. Not on a cruise. 100 degrees and 98% humidity. I have straight hair which IMO is worse than curly in that environment. Beginning with day 2 I just pulled it back and forgot about it. When we got home I got a short cut. Right, it's a vacation.

• Like 1

We normally travel for at least 6 weeks - next year have 4 months plans to make up for lost time. 

I have  2 approaches to my hair, let it grow long enough to tie back and  ignore it - or cut it short and ignore it.   If the weather is hot and humid I'll have a hat on anyways. 

• Like 4

I have long, curly hair that frizzes at the drop of a hat in humid weather.  On longer cruises, I budget for a blow-out at the on-board salon once a week (my hair doesn't need more than that).  I even go in for the kerastase treatment they have (I forget the name) that smooths out frizzy hair for weeks at a time (usually much cheaper on board than on land).  This makes it so much easier to take care of my hair when I get home!

• Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 3:22 PM, lissie said:

I have  2 approaches to my hair, let it grow long enough to tie back and  ignore it - or cut it short and ignore it.   If the weather is hot and humid I'll have a hat on anyways. 

Absolutely. One or the other.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, jackiel3290 said:

If long enough to put up, my solution is African butterfly clips. I twist my hair in a not and put up with these clips. 

I had to Google that. My hair's not long enough but a simple clip works for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I am right there with you and have considered a wig for my upcoming cruise but wasn't taking into account how hot they can be  😞 I'm cruising with my sister so I might just blow it dry and ask her to braid it for me every day.

My mother and sister who wear wigs and live in a warm climate tell me they are hot and uncomfortable unless you clip your hair  very short.  

I have mastered pins and sticks.  Easy do

Edited by Mary229

I have very curly, frizzy hair.  I just wash and use gel, and let it dry at home and at sea.  I gave up!!  I want easy now and it looks good too. (so I have been told).  I did cut it short a few years ago, because I got tired of waiting for it to dry in a cold winter climate. 

On 4/11/2022 at 9:51 AM, geocruiser said:

I have very curly, frizzy hair.  I just wash and use gel, and let it dry at home and at sea.  I gave up!!  I want easy now and it looks good too. (so I have been told).  I did cut it short a few years ago, because I got tired of waiting for it to dry in a cold winter climate. 

same, but light curls.  I just wash and use my "product of the moment" to help with the curls.  I used to blowdry it for work, but I gave up on that this year and just let it do it's thing.  I've been told it looks good also.  In the Winter, I just use a light diffusing to get the process going.  By the time I get to work, it's done.  I'm just below shoulder-length.  

• Like 1

So I cut 4 inches Sunday.   It is now short enough to wash and air dry after applying plenty of chi oil to my curly locks.  Chi is a great lightweight product for waves and curls if you want a tamed wash and go look 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

So I cut 4 inches Sunday.   It is now short enough to wash and air dry after applying plenty of chi oil to my curly locks.  Chi is a great lightweight product for waves and curls if you want a tamed wash and go look 

I'll have to put this on my list.  right now I'm a fan of IDK's Rich Kid.  But it's sold out everywhere, even the IDK website.  No Ulta anywhere around here. 

• 6 months later...

My hair's quite the opposite of yours, but I suggest you spend a little bit of time on You Tube and search for some cute ways to tie back your hair. 

I happened upon one cute little up-do method, which works great for me ... and with a little searching, I found a couple more.  I am sure that everything we need to learn is on You Tube! 

• Like 1