Internet Access in Cabin?

NYDee

Yes, but it is NOT wireless. There is a port, you need to have the Computer room set up access - charge is one-time $25.00.

Otherwise, he could use any of the laptops available on board at the usual cost of $0.95/minute. Packages are available.

Thanks for the information. We will have it set up in the cabin. He is going to have to be in contact with one of his clients frequently while we are on our Asia cruise. So he will need the convenience and privacy of using it in the cabin.

If you use your laptop in your room the same 95 cents a minute charge applies (or alternatively if you buy a package of 200 minutes for $140 or 70 cents a minute or 500 minutes for $300 or 60 cents a minute).

I was told that the $25 set up fee no longer applies because of wireless capabilities. I know I did see people using their laptops on the pool deck aboard Nautica. Maybe someone can confirm this for Regatta and Insignia.

If you use your laptop in your room the same 95 cents a minute charge applies (or alternatively if you buy a package of 200 minutes for $140 or 70 cents a minute or 500 minutes for $300 or 60 cents a minute).

I was told that the $25 set up fee no longer applies because of wireless capabilities. I know I did see people using their laptops on the pool deck aboard Nautica. Maybe someone can confirm this for Regatta and Insignia.

Then there is wireless connection on Nautica?

I just called Oceania. I was told that Nautica does not have wireless internet in cabins. But there are 3 hot spots for wireless, they are the library, the cardroom, and poolside. To access the internet in your cabin they have to set up your laptop. DH isn't thrilled about that. So I guess he will try the wireless hot spots. I am not thrilled about him being in contact with "work" on this cruise.

I asked the board instead of calling first because I am not sure any company's customer service knows the correct answer.

Thanks for your responses.

Has your husband considered using a Blackberry? I'm not sure how it works onboard ships, but my husband also must stay in touch with his office and uses his Blackberry all over Europe with no problem. I even used it to e-mail our family back home last September when the Hurricane was threatening Texas and I got pretty good typing with my thumbs on that thing. Just a thought.

Sharon

Thanks for the suggestion. He has a Samsung pocket pc. But will need his laptop for some of his work. It is not just a matter of conversing, but sending some long documents. We will check with Verizon to see where we have service. I think we have to subscribe for China. But service isn't available in Japan. If there is wireless available on the ship, he will do okay.

Has anyone used a company such as MaGlobe for internet global roaming and did it work ? Seems it could prove to be alot less $ than going through the ship..assuming one could connect to them by data cable connectivity through your handheld/or GSM phone?

Curious how that would work out if anyone has done it.:rolleyes:

Claudia, I haven't tried that one, but we are trying an Edge card for our laptop in June. The Edge card is just for data and uses the wireless signals. I'm also taking my Blackberry, we're hoping that nothing comes up that either office can't handle in the 3 weeks while we're gone, but we figure we're covered if it does happen and if we have to work an hour or two here and there we'll survive.

I just called Oceania. I was told that Nautica does not have wireless internet in cabins. But there are 3 hot spots for wireless, they are the library, the cardroom, and poolside. To access the internet in your cabin they have to set up your laptop. DH isn't thrilled about that. So I guess he will try the wireless hot spots. I am not thrilled about him being in contact with "work" on this cruise.

DW and I just finished a GREAT trip on Holland America and they had this same arrangement. Don't bother to spend $25 to have your room fixed up for internet. Go to one of the "hot" locations, order a drink, boot up and see what you can do. NOW, if you're expecting broadband speed, I'm here to tell you that your OLD dial-up back home was MUCH faster than what you'll find on the ship. SO, if you think you'll be way ahead of the game by buying 100 minutes, I'll tell you right now you'll never imagine how few Es you'll handle with only 100 minutes. Often during the wait, you can order another drink. It'll shurly make you think that WWW. means Wait, Wait, Wait....

I've had it on good authority that the problem is with the satelite connections that ships use that makes this service SOOOOO slow.. Let's just say that the technoligy has a long way to go. I've heard of people saving up there Es, then taking their laptops ashore to an internet cafe - but that's just more than I want to do...

As far as "work" on vacation, lots of us feel that we can enjoy our vacation more if we can still stay on top of what's going on back home. To lots of us, "work" is fun... I can especially appreciate this when a person with special talents is needed back home. What could be more rewarding??

My 2 cents.. Marvin :p

Archived