Sequencing Issue?

sparks1093

I have flown as aircrew in the Navy and have many commercial flights under my belt and this is a new one to me so I'm hoping that someone can shed light on it. We were on short final into Detroit Int'l when the pilot pulled up and went around. He said that it was due to a "sequencing issue", which is something that I'm not familiar with and I'm hoping that someone else is. I miss the days when I was aircrew and knew what was going on.

Yeah, odds are either:

1) The plane landing ahead of you didn't leave the runway soon enough

2) A plane set to take off on the runway before you land didn't take off quick enough 

3) An aircraft taxied across the runway you were set to land on when it shouldn't have

Sounds like a way for the pilot to say "I tried to keep you from getting killed, but I'd rather you not know that". 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

There was about to be two planes way too close to each other. One plane, yours, had to avoid the area. Most likely not enough time was allowed for the other plane to vacate the space. Or maybe it had some issue vacating that space.

8 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

Yeah, odds are either:

1) The plane landing ahead of you didn't leave the runway soon enough

2) A plane set to take off on the runway before you land didn't take off quick enough 

3) An aircraft taxied across the runway you were set to land on when it shouldn't have

Sounds like a way for the pilot to say "I tried to keep you from getting killed, but I'd rather you not know that". 

That squares with what I was thinking happened, thanks!

Concur with Zach and Bruce.  "Sequencing" in general means "who goes first, who goes second" and the like.

Seems that someone got their timing wrong.

Far better than when you hear the wind shear horn go off and the speaker blaring "Pull up, pull up"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Far better than when you hear the wind shear horn go off and the speaker blaring "Pull up, pull up"

I remember a few years back being on an ATL-DFW flight after a long week of work, and my seatmate and I pounded like four whiskey's on that 90 minute flight (I was connecting on to SAN and didn't have to drive anywhere, I swear!)...we were coming in to DFW behind a storm and, in the second row of the MD-80s, head the very loud wind shear horn go off. I'm an aero engineer, I'm also a private pilot, meaning I know planes well...but after a few whiskey's, it was a bit of a shock to the system! Twenty minutes later, we're on the ground safely. 

Similar for me.  Row one on an NW 757 coming into SEA on a rainy night.

Was never quite so glad to be on an "over-powered" aircraft like the 757.  Captain hit the firewall and we were up and going around.....with the klaxon blaring.

As for DFW, they are known for wind shear issues with summer storms.  DL 191 went down in a wind shear incident, prompting the installation of wind shear warning radar on commercial aircraft.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

I remember a few years back being on an ATL-DFW flight after a long week of work, and my seatmate and I pounded like four whiskey's on that 90 minute flight (I was connecting on to SAN and didn't have to drive anywhere, I swear!)...we were coming in to DFW behind a storm and, in the second row of the MD-80s, head the very loud wind shear horn go off. I'm an aero engineer, I'm also a private pilot, meaning I know planes well...but after a few whiskey's, it was a bit of a shock to the system! Twenty minutes later, we're on the ground safely. 

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Similar for me.  Row one on an NW 757 coming into SEA on a rainy night.

Was never quite so glad to be on an "over-powered" aircraft like the 757.  Captain hit the firewall and we were up and going around.....with the klaxon blaring.

As for DFW, they are known for wind shear issues with summer storms.  DL 191 went down in a wind shear incident, prompting the installation of wind shear warning radar on commercial aircraft.

I don't recall that the C-130's that I flew in had such alarms but it would certainly be attention getting. We flew around a cell last night and the lightning looked a bit eerie off in the distance, which raised another question- we were on a night flight once and took a lightning strike to the radome which blinded the pilots. We always flew with 3 pilots and were able to get the 3rd pilot to the flight deck to take over. So the question that crossed my mind is what would commercial pilots do under a similar situation?  

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

We flew around a cell last night and the lightning looked a bit eerie off in the distance

August, 2019 on a DL flight from MSP to DAY, over Indiana (I think), we were flying above a thunderstorm with visible lightning below us repeatedly flashing.  It was eerie, yet beautiful at the same time.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I don't recall that the C-130's that I flew in had such alarms but it would certainly be attention getting. We flew around a cell last night and the lightning looked a bit eerie off in the distance, which raised another question- we were on a night flight once and took a lightning strike to the radome which blinded the pilots. We always flew with 3 pilots and were able to get the 3rd pilot to the flight deck to take over. So the question that crossed my mind is what would commercial pilots do under a similar situation?  

I'm very familiar with lightning protection on aircraft, but not so familiar with it causing blindness beyond momentarily. If there were only two pilots and they got blinded to a point where it debilitated them beyond the ability to aviate...I am not sure what would happen, to be honest. Maybe have Robert Stack come on the radio and direct some guy on how to land it? 

Edited by Zach1213
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

I'm very familiar with lightning protection on aircraft, but not so familiar with it causing blindness beyond momentarily. If there were only two pilots and they got blinded to a point where it debilitated them beyond the ability to aviate...I am not sure what would happen, to be honest. Maybe have Robert Stack come on the radio and direct some guy on how to land it? 

I know it wouldn't be me, I've never flown a mission to bomb the storage depots at Daiquiri.