Best value for solo cruisers?

Elkins45

My wife and I usually cruise with Princess or Carnival, but since she’s working now and I’m not I decided to do some solo cruising. With Princess and Carnival a solo traveler essentially  pays two fares minus port fees and taxes for the missing person. I’ve done a little looking around online and have discovered MSC charges only a slight premium for a single traveler, so I’m going on a four day by myself to check them out.

Are there any other cruise lines that offer less than 2X rates for single travelers?

On 9/13/2021 at 11:08 AM, Elkins45 said:

My wife and I usually cruise with Princess or Carnival, but since she’s working now and I’m not I decided to do some solo cruising. With Princess and Carnival a solo traveler essentially  pays two fares minus port fees and taxes for the missing person. I’ve done a little looking around online and have discovered MSC charges only a slight premium for a single traveler, so I’m going on a four day by myself to check them out.

Are there any other cruise lines that offer less than 2X rates for single travelers?

NCL often offers no single suppliment but mostly for lat minute cruises, not only that but thier last minute cruises can get very very cheap.  If you are able to do that, then go for it.

I agree about MSC, they sometimes do have great rates for solos, that is the reason I am trying them for the first time.  I am doing a 7 day cruise in 8 days, and got it for very cheap.  Will see if I like it or not. 

Well, Holland America right now offers NOTHING  for solo cruisers.  All prices are 200%, all prices are inflated and everything has all sorts of added garbage you don't need.  From what I've seen with HAL and Princess, you do much, much better right now in land packages than cruises, and it's much safer too. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/16/2021 at 9:44 PM, cruiseelady said:

NCL often offers no single suppliment but mostly for lat minute cruises, not only that but thier last minute cruises can get very very cheap.  If you are able to do that, then go for it.

I agree about MSC, they sometimes do have great rates for solos, that is the reason I am trying them for the first time.  I am doing a 7 day cruise in 8 days, and got it for very cheap.  Will see if I like it or not. 

Just curious what you thought of MSC and which cruise line(s) you are comparing them to?

• 1 month later...

the concept of "paying double" for a solo traveler always annoyed me. Most people will be traveling with a spouse or BF/GF and the total price is about the same. The way i see it is if you travel as a couple its more of a BOGO deal than double price for solo.

Like if i was to find a GF and take a cruise together it would still cost the same amount if i went alone. Actually it would cost more if i brought someone because of port fees and taxes

• 3 weeks later...

Star Clippers charge "only" a 50% single supplement and sometimes waive this on selected cruises.

Saga have over 100 single cabins on each of their two ships, accounting for about 10% of the passenger capacity; the effective single supplement compared with the equivalent twin cabin is 40% - 50%. But you have to be aged 50 or over to travel with them.

I believe that P&O have a single supplement of less than 100% in most cases  but they do not disclose what it is, and with their fluid pricing policy it is difficult to estimate what it is.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Princess has started single supplement fares for some of their cruises, but not until they’re only a few months before departure.    You might want to check their website or call a Princess cruise planner to see if something works for you.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Virgin have no single supplement currently.  Even though I don’t think I’d cruise Virgin, the pricing is competitive (in some markets more than others) and paying no supplement would make me take a look at their cruises. Especially the longer repositioning.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dancer Bob said:

Being on a ship you don't like is a waste of money- no value at all.

"Cheapest" and "value" are not at all the same thing.

Quite agree. I have found the longer increased sea day cruises do attract a different demographic. If the value is there for me personally I would consider a line I may not otherwise. 
On any ship doing a Europe - US or Asia there is less chance of the Club 18-30 vibe. 

• 3 months later...

Well, on the basis of the info here, I just took a look at MSC pricing

and I'm not seeing any special deals

Absurdly, not only does a single, more or less, double up the cabin price, it also doubled up the price of the drinks package. *****!

However, The prices of this cruise line are cheap enough not to worry about the SS (as long as you don't take the drinks package!).  It's still on my possible list.

5 hours ago, tim_london0 said:

Well, on the basis of the info here, I just took a look at MSC pricing

and I'm not seeing any special deals

Absurdly, not only does a single, more or less, double up the cabin price, it also doubled up the price of the drinks package. *****!

However, The prices of this cruise line are cheap enough not to worry about the SS (as long as you don't take the drinks package!).  It's still on my possible list.

Maybe it’s only for cruises sailing from the US? Booking on the MSC USA site shows a significant cost reduction for a one person booking.

6 hours ago, tim_london0 said:

I can't get the .com site (if that is what you mean) to show me availability and prices

and since when has "what the flip" been a rude phrase?

Http://www.msccruisesusa.com is where I have booked all my cruises, but of course I live in the USA so I have no idea how things are for you in England.

• 2 weeks later...

Costa always seem to be reasonably priced for solo sailings. I did Barcelona to Dubai in November and it was around 800sterling for a outside cabin on Costa Toscana, that was for over 20 nights.

I am doing back to back on Firenze in April, Rio De Janeiro to Barcelona just over 600sterling and Barcelona to Kiel in Germany, again just over 600sterling. Those are for inside cabins. 

I am in the Costa Club and get a discount (15%), but even so, for me, its well worth it.

On 1/11/2023 at 10:03 PM, Elkins45 said:

Http://www.msccruisesusa.com is where I have booked all my cruises, but of course I live in the USA so I have no idea how things are for you in England.

Oh right

well I tried that and when you come to enter your country of residence you can choose between USA and Puerto Rico - Even Canada isn't an option for this booking method.  (It's not clear how they might catch you out if you lie)