Recommended Ins. for the unvaccinated

richbum

12 of us booked starting 3 years ago for our cruise...one got cancelled then we rolled it over to another. We are supposed to cruise in March...but we are not vaccinated....Is there a certain insurance that I should get so that we can just cancel and get most of our $$$ back. Carnival has had our $$$ for almost 3 years...and we just decided to do something else!

Thanks a bunch!

Nope

You would need to have "CFAR" Cancel For Any Reason, to get a chance to receive anywhere from 40% to 75% of your money back in the form of a credit to be used on a future cruise.

Also, in most cases, CFAR coverage requires that you purchase the insurance X number of days after the initial deposit was made.

However, since your cruise is scheduled for March, you do have the option to just cancel and bite the bullet on whatever the cancellation penalty might be.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Thanks 1

Just be very careful to check (on a routine) basis the changing requirements of both your cruise line and the various ports.   Some cruise lines have found that not having 100% vaccinated creates an issue with one or more ports.  This stuff seems to change with the phases of the moon :(.   

As to CFAR just keep in mind that it is generally not true insurance but typically a policy of each specific cruise line.  In many cases using a CFAR option will not get you all your money back so you need to read the policy.

Hank

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Just be very careful to check (on a routine) basis the changing requirements of both your cruise line and the various ports.   Some cruise lines have found that not having 100% vaccinated creates an issue with one or more ports.  This stuff seems to change with the phases of the moon :(.   

As to CFAR just keep in mind that it is generally not true insurance but typically a policy of each specific cruise line.  In many cases using a CFAR option will not get you all your money back so you need to read the policy.

Hank

Methinks this is the OP's issue and now looking for coverage.... too late.

bon voyage

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2021 at 12:14 PM, richbum said:

We are supposed to cruise in March...but we are not vaccinated......

I know I'm stating the obvious, but you've got plenty of time to get vaccinate...... problem solved.

Also, expecting either Carnival or an insurance company to take a financial hit for your personal decision not to get vaccinated is unreasonable.

Edited by groundloop
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, groundloop said:

I know I'm stating the obvious, but you've got plenty of time to get vaccinate...... problem solved.

Also, expecting either Carnival or an insurance company to take a financial hit for your personal decision not to get vaccinated is unreasonable.

Totally agree. No one else should have to pay for their decision but them. 

@richbum If you wanted to get your money back you should have bought the correct type of insurance shortly after booking the cruise. You probably just need to cancel at this point and accept the penalty according to the booking terms.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, groundloop said:

g I Am sure you mean to narrowly define that 'decision' as being related to travel, specifically cruises, since it has been widely published and discussed in the media and on each cruise line's website and here on CC what the protocols are to sail...

Apparently some of us did not take it serious enough to protect our travel investment to some degree or thought things would change quick enough where it would not impact our decision on this issue. While I have an opinion on the decision to not be vaccinated and want to travel, My Opinion on the desire to insure to get some type of refund is: it is too late for that, now.

Since the OP has found a vacation outlet which does not require vaccination, they may want to chalk this one up as a loss and experience... and plan other types of vacations for the next few years other than cruising.

bon voyage

On 9/28/2021 at 12:56 PM, groundloop said:

It's not as if I booked a vacation during covid...I originally booked this and paid in 2018....long before covid hit...I just don't want to have to loose my money while they are making $$$ on the interest for the $$$ that they will have for 3 years...

2 hours ago, richbum said:

It's not as if I booked a vacation during covid...I originally booked this and paid in 2018....long before covid hit...I just don't want to have to loose my money while they are making $$$ on the interest for the $$$ that they will have for 3 years...

No, it is not like you booked the cruise during C-19, the question still remains, did you purchase travel insurance at the time of booking?

If so, what are the coverages?

If you are looking to purchase insurance from a third party now against your 'original' investment, you cannot, so you have self-insured this cruise.

bon voyage

• 2 weeks later...

I'm late to this thread, but I want to reiterate what @Bo1953 said.  When it comes to third-party insurance, typically you must purchase it within a certain period after booking.  That period usually around 15 days from when you pay your deposit (give or take), and I don't think I've ever seen a period longer than 30 days.  You're way beyond that.  If there happens to be something out there, it'll probably cost you more than a pretty penny.

Right now, Carnival allows cancellation for FCC.  That might be your only option if you don't want to get vaccinated.  I'd be surprised if vaccination restrictions are lifted substantially before March.

Just a few words about travel and vaccines.  We recently drove 4 hours from home to Long Island NY because we were flying the next morning from JFK to Barbados for Sandals and then a Seabourn cruise.  We decided to have dinner at a popular Queens restaurant located about 10 minutes from our hotel and JFK.  When we entered the restaurant we were required to show our vaccine cards.  There are no other options in NYC.  You want to eat in a restaurant you must have proof of vaccination.  When we later checked in at the Radisson we were again required

to show our vaccination cards.  The following morning when we checked in for our JetBlue flight we again had to show our vaccine cards and our negative PCR test.  We again had to show these documents at the Gate.  Upon arrival in Barbados we had to show our vaccine cards and PCR test.  When we arrived at Sandals we again had to show those documents (and take another PCR test).  4 days later before boarding our ship we had to show those documents 3 times during the embarkation process.  When we went ashore on Antigua we had to show our vaccine cards to local authorities.  

So perhaps some will get the picture.  This is the new normal.  One can choose to fight all this which means severely limiting one’s travel options.  But few want to hear the whining and protests.  You meet the requirements or take yourself and your business elsewhere.  By the way, in about an hour we will get our 4th COVID test in less then 3 weeks.  

Hank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

By the way, in about an hour we will get our 4th COVID test in less then 3 weeks.  

Hank

and isn't it a relief when those neg tests come back.

My wife came down recently sick as a dog. We had to put our lives on hold for a few days until she could schedule a test. No going out, no grocery shopping, no visiting with or seeing the grandkids,,, until the neg results were in. A deep sigh of relief when they did. Yes, we wear our masks, yes, we are both vaxxed,,, just the new norm unfortunately.

Safe travels.

• Thanks 2

On 10/15/2021 at 9:18 AM, Hlitner said:

Just a few words about travel and vaccines.  We recently drove 4 hours from home to Long Island NY because we were flying the next morning from JFK to Barbados for Sandals and then a Seabourn cruise.  We decided to have dinner at a popular Queens restaurant located about 10 minutes from our hotel and JFK.  When we entered the restaurant we were required to show our vaccine cards.  There are no other options in NYC.  You want to eat in a restaurant you must have proof of vaccination.  When we later checked in at the Radisson we were again required

to show our vaccination cards.  The following morning when we checked in for our JetBlue flight we again had to show our vaccine cards and our negative PCR test.  We again had to show these documents at the Gate.  Upon arrival in Barbados we had to show our vaccine cards and PCR test.  When we arrived at Sandals we again had to show those documents (and take another PCR test).  4 days later before boarding our ship we had to show those documents 3 times during the embarkation process.  When we went ashore on Antigua we had to show our vaccine cards to local authorities.  

So perhaps some will get the picture.  This is the new normal.  One can choose to fight all this which means severely limiting one’s travel options.  But few want to hear the whining and protests.  You meet the requirements or take yourself and your business elsewhere.  By the way, in about an hour we will get our 4th COVID test in less then 3 weeks.  

Hank

My intention was not to whine about the restrictions...I have had covid...and was recently exposed again by someone who was vaccinated (but didn't get it a second time)....My natural immunity worked...All I was asking was if there was options because I don't believe we will be able to cruise...and I didn't want to loose a bunch of money that they have had for years.....

AFAIK, it is too late to purchase any insurance that will cover a portion(40% -up to sometimes 75%)  of your cruise if you just want to cancel.  As others have stated, this must be done almost immediately( sometimes up to 21 days) after you put down a deposit of any type for the trip, including air fare.  Evidently, the industry is very strict about this.  Also, the cost is usually kinda high. I’ve seen quotes as high as 18% of the total trip cost. That money you would not get back. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2021 at 9:35 AM, richbum said:

My intention was not to whine about the restrictions...I have had covid...and was recently exposed again by someone who was vaccinated (but didn't get it a second time)....My natural immunity worked...All I was asking was if there was options because I don't believe we will be able to cruise...and I didn't want to loose a bunch of money that they have had for years.....

When is the final payment date for the cruise?

On 10/19/2021 at 11:56 AM, milolii said:

AFAIK, it is too late to purchase any insurance that will cover a portion(40% -up to sometimes 75%)  of your cruise if you just want to cancel.  As others have stated, this must be done almost immediately( sometimes up to 21 days) after you put down a deposit of any type for the trip, including air fare.  Evidently, the industry is very strict about this.  Also, the cost is usually kinda high. I’ve seen quotes as high as 18% of the total trip cost. That money you would not get back. 

Hi milolii,

If you don't need pre-existing conditions coverage, you may buy a policy as late as the day before you leave on your trip.

Steve Dasseos

• 4 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, ljones said:

I scheduled a cruise for 2023.  I wanted annual insurance and was told I could not buy it this far out but could at a closer date.  Will see.

Where are you getting your information about travel insurance?

We finally decided to make a reservation for another cruise... in mid-2023.

And got travel insurance for all 6 of us, quickly and easily right away.

(We just needed to get enough insurance at this point to cover the deposits, so that wasn't much.  We'll add the major part of the insurance cost when final payment is due.)

GC

On 11/29/2021 at 10:33 AM, GeezerCouple said:

got travel insurance

I can get immediate travel insurance when I book through the booking.  But I was looking for Annual Insurance.  Did you get insurance for the singular cruise or an annual policy.  If the latter, who did you get it through?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2021 at 9:35 AM, richbum said:

Hmmm Vaccines are FREE so that would be the best way to protect your investment, trust science talk to a doctor and have the additional bonus of actually getting to go on your vacation. If you make the choice to not be vaccinated then it no one else's responsibility to give you $ for prolonging a public health crisis by declining the vaccine.As the spouse of a medical worker, trust me that we have lost WAY more than money in the last 2 years thanks to vaccine misinformation (like "immunity" after you have had covid that is a straight up fallacy) is just prolonging this needless suffering. 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 12:04 AM, TeachAloha said:

Hmmm Vaccines are FREE so that would be the best way to protect your investment, trust science talk to a doctor and have the additional bonus of actually getting to go on your vacation. If you make the choice to not be vaccinated then it no one else's responsibility to give you $ for prolonging a public health crisis by declining the vaccine.As the spouse of a medical worker, trust me that we have lost WAY more than money in the last 2 years thanks to vaccine misinformation (like "immunity" after you have had covid that is a straight up fallacy) is just prolonging this needless suffering. 

Thank you for your opinion. As stated above, I have rebooked and not lost any $$$ from the cruise that I booked WAYYY before the pandemic even started. Have a wonderful day.