Oceania vs. Regent

Russiamomm

We've been on 6 Oceania cruises and 2 Regent. First Regent cruise was in 2013 on Voyager, Rome to London, and was marvelous. Excellent food, great crew. First O cruise was 2015 on Riviera, Barcelona to Istanbul, and was also outstanding. My Pros for Regent: outstanding food and a willingness to prepare anything for you with 24 hour notice and within reason. First Class service all the way. Cons: slightly smaller cabins (deluxe Veranda vs PH3) than O but bigger than the R ship cabins.

Pros for Oceania: More varied dining venues and The Terrace - great to come back from a long day and enjoy the variety for dinner without having to dress. Slightly bigger rooms on the O class ships. Cons: Still have to show your card every time to order a drink even with the package. Smaller rooms on the R ships.

Both lines are excellent and we switch between the 2 based on itinerary. Fancy dress is a deal breaker for me on any cruise ( I resigned my membership in the 3 piece suit club many years ago) and Regent and Oceania's "country club casual" style fits perfect.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

Regent and Oceania's "country club casual" style fits perfect.

I would only ever consider a cruise that had this style of casual. I choose not to go to restaurants that require jackets and am very reluctant to go to those where jackets are "preferred". And that's just for an evening. I am going nowhere near any cruise line that has such archaic formality. We did a number of P & O cruises in the late 90s and early 2000s but became disenchanted with the "formal" and "informal" nights - so much so that we didnt cruise again for many years.

19 hours ago, Harters said:

I would only ever consider a cruise that had this style of casual. I choose not to go to restaurants that require jackets and am very reluctant to go to those where jackets are "preferred". And that's just for an evening. I am going nowhere near any cruise line that has such archaic formality. We did a number of P & O cruises in the late 90s and early 2000s but became disenchanted with the "formal" and "informal" nights - so much so that we didnt cruise again for many years.

When Princess was still part of P & O, formal night was just that. Class A uniforms for military, tuxes for the rest. Of course the meal included lobster, filet, Sevruga caviar, etc. so didn't mind the trade off then. Now, with luggage space at a premium, no way would I add such cumbersome clothing. Would still like to see caviar return though.

I always wear a sports jacket to La Reserve and Privee and most often to the Specialties. Easy to pack and sometimes the restaurants can be down right cold and the jacket feels great. OTH, if the restaurant is too warm, I can slip it off. Same as my lovely wife carrying a sweater to dinner. If she needs it, she has it. Temperature differences between the front of the Specialties and the rear can be substantial. 

I don’t do ties, but for me, packing and wearing a sports jacket isn’t a big deal. I would never pass on great food and fine dining because of a sports jacket mandate.

Harters;

Dress Blues or Dress Whites is the military version of a tux, not Class A. That is equivalent to a business suit.

38 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

<snip>

I don’t do ties, but for me, packing and wearing a sports jacket isn’t a big deal. I would never pass on great food and fine dining because of a sports jacket mandate.

<snip>

On our most recent Oceania cruise a few years ago, DH decided to bring along a sport jacket as usual, but he decided that he had finally had it with ties (except for business).

It was a Christmas/NYE cruise, and as the first big night approached, he was a bit sorry he didn't have even one tie.  However... Oceania had left one of their gifts in our suite, and it had a very nice bright red ribbon on it.

Yes, he made a lovely bow tie out of the ribbon. 😉

I thought that was terrific, and and it got smiles everywhere we went that evening. 

So he used it again for NYE, of course.

GC

• Like 4

Spouse took his standard navy blue sports jacket on our first Oceania cruise (which also was our first cruise ever) in September 2008. He never has carried it with him for a cruise since that first one.

Note, however, that he always wears a long-sleeved shirt to dinner and never wears shorts anywhere (outside of our home’s backyard), preferring long pants for touring, whether in Europe or the Caribbean.

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I always wear a sports jacket to La Reserve and Privee and most often to the Specialties. Easy to pack and sometimes the restaurants can be down right cold and the jacket feels great. OTH, if the restaurant is too warm, I can slip it off. Same as my lovely wife carrying a sweater to dinner. If she needs it, she has it. Temperature differences between the front of the Specialties and the rear can be substantial. 

Harters;

Dress Blues or Dress Whites is the military version of a tux, not Class A. That is equivalent to a business suit.

After we had booked our first (so far) O cruise, I saw photo on their site of men in blazers/jackets and asked. It was quickly pointed out that those were models 🙂 Since it was a Rio to Buenos Aires in their summer Bob didn't take a blazer but a cruise in a cooler area he likely would. No big deal.

Edited by clo

12 hours ago, clo said:

After we had booked our first (so far) O cruise, I saw photo on their site of men in blazers/jackets and asked. It was quickly pointed out that those were models 🙂 Since it was a Rio to Buenos Aires in their summer Bob didn't take a blazer but a cruise in a cooler area he likely would. No big deal.

My wife doesn’t take a sweater to restaurants in the middle of our summer because it’s cold outside!!! 🙄. You’ve only been on the Marina and might not understand that the AC/heating system on the antiquated R ships is a different animal than on the newer O ships.

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

My wife doesn’t take a sweater to restaurants in the middle of our summer because it’s cold outside!!! 🙄. You’ve only been on the Marina and might not understand that the AC/heating system on the antiquated R ships is a different animal than on the newer O ships.

I have to remind myself that we turn our heat down to 50 when we go to bed and up to 60 in the morning 🙂 

• 2 months later...