Thoughts on Symphony Boston-Bermuda 12 Sept. 2021 RT

BWIVince

8 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Vince,

Fascinating stuff, brought to us by your unique eagle eye.  I really like that standard cabin loveseat, it seems to be maximally functional given the space available.

It appears the cocktail tables are still adjustable for height, correct? 

Funny enough, I’ve been pecking at mine all week trying to figure that out!  Lol. I think the answer is that it’s not AS adjustable.  There does seem to be a strut and a slot that releases it, but I don’t have anything that fits it to change it.  That said, every table I’ve seen has worked perfectly set at dining height, so there may not be much need to lower it anymore.  Being glass, it doesn’t at all look clunky or out of place in the higher positions like the wood ones did.

Totally agree about the love seats…. The few shorter folks that liked to lay across the old ones with their head and legs up on the sides will miss the arms, but I suspect that was a very limited audience.

Vince

Very interesting and helpful insights on the updates to the rooms!  And the food photos are making me drool.  When I try to photograph my food it always looks like a crime scene, so I’m doubly impressed with your skills.

Thanks again for sharing your vacation with us!

Susan

On 9/18/2021 at 4:23 PM, Texas Tillie said:

Still those old bed skirts in the regular cabins. I haven't had one in about 4 plus years that wasn't spotted with assorted issues. I don't even care to think what some spots were that they had tried to clean up!!

Patty

I can't testify if they are actually new or old, BUT I will say they actually match now better than they did previously...  They're a silver-ish color and play well with the new carpet and new bed runners -- definitely better than the old colors.  And it may not come through as well in the pics, but they were actually in great shape (they looked new to me)!  You know I'd be the first person to make a comment about it if they weren't -- after listening to me whine about the prints and throw pillows for the past decade.  Unfortunately the accent tiles in the shower with the worn off finish remain, but that's a different story and an understandable challenge.

More to come...

Vince

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

I can't testify if they are actually new or old, BUT I will say they actually match now better than they did previously...  They're a silver-ish color and play well with the new carpet and new bed runners -- definitely better than the old colors.  And it may not come through as well in the pics, but they were actually in great shape (they looked new to me)!  You know I'd be the first person to make a comment about it if they weren't -- after listening to me whine about the prints and throw pillows for the past decade.  Unfortunately the accent tiles in the shower with the worn off finish remain, but that's a different story and an understandable challenge.

More to come...

Vince

Glad to hear, Vince. In the photo they looked the same as the old ones. I trust that you would have noticed!! ☺️

Patty

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, SuzCruise said:

Very interesting and helpful insights on the updates to the rooms!  And the food photos are making me drool.  When I try to photograph my food it always looks like a crime scene, so I’m doubly impressed with your skills.

Thanks again for sharing your vacation with us!

Susan

I promise I'm not doing anything special -- it's Crystal's food that really shines all on its own.  You just point your iPhone in its general direction and beautiful pics result.  

Not that there are any weak links in Crystal's culinary team, but I have to give a special shout-out to Symphony's chefs.  In particular they always seem to do amazing work, even among a talented pool.

3 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Glad to hear, Vince. In the photo they looked the same as the old ones. I trust that you would have noticed!! ☺️

Patty

They might just be new skirts of the same design as the old ones, too...   They may have just finally found other materials that finally coordinate to them properly!  😄  The worst offense was when they did the Serenity refit with the current decor and busted out the old purple bedskirts that clashed completely.

Vince

• Like 2

Just now, KenzSailing said:

Vince,

Was Waterside open B/L/D?  When it was open, I assume they always only staffed some section of the room? 

It was!  It was closed for lunch the first day in Bermuda, when occupancy onboard was scheduled to be less than 50, but was otherwise open every meal including lunch the second day in port.

The center section was neither used nor set the entire cruise -- just tablecloths (it looked fine).  The new place settings are streamlined so there is less clutter on the tables, so it was less obvious what was/wasn't being used.  Some wing sections were also not set for certain meals, but that was more subtle.  

For the most part the starboard wing was used for every meal, the window tables were used on the port side when the windows filled on the starboard side at breakfast and lunch, and both wings were used lightly for dinner.  Window tables were popular, but usually available upon request.

Vince

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

While I'm working on more ship pics and write up something about the penthouses, here are some more food pics...  This time a Waterside lunch.

Assorted Golden Fried Mushroom Appetizer with Tartar Sauce:

51496665717_fcd2e6a6ef_c.jpg

Grilled Seafood Brochettes -- Sweet Corn Relish, Red Skin Potato Confit, Citrus Hollandaise, Fine Herb Salad:

51498379530_7c465f3389_c.jpg

Eaton Mess (A personal favorite lunch dessert):

51497454971_50ff51971a_c.jpg

Vince

• Like 11

1 hour ago, BWIVince said:

While I'm working on more ship pics and write up something about the penthouses, here are some more food pics..

51496665717_fcd2e6a6ef_c.jpg

51498379530_7c465f3389_c.jpg

Eaton Mess (A personal favorite lunch dessert):

51497454971_50ff51971a_c.jpg

Vince

And this dessert is exactly why I try to avoid Waterside for lunch…

Fabulous food pics as always❤️

Edited by krb1000
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, lincslady said:

That meal looks lovely - but it is Eton Mess, after the British public school.  Often misspelt as Eaton.  Maybe it should just be called Eaten!

Ah, my apologies.  But as, from the American point of view, the English are so profligate with their vowels (colour, endeavour), I hope you'll indulge my exuberance. 🙂

And "eaten mess" describes me after most meals, much to my spouse's chagrin. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Apologies for the Eton mess spelling -- I quote the menus, often blind.  Some variances in spellings, whether intentional or not, were actually the topic of table conversation a couple of times, though we didn't catch that one.

In the meantime, here are some Prego pics.  

Lobster & Octopus -- Poached Cold Water Lobster Medallion & Slow Steamed and Compressed Octopus with Crisp Shallots and Olive-Thyme Vinaigrette:

51500231108_424aaeba60_c.jpg

The Beef Carpaccio is a whole presentation...  Here it is step-by-step.  (There's a reason this isn't a video, trust me.)

Here's the plate as it's first presented:

51486587560_4dfb5baa8e_c.jpg

First the server squeezes the lemon:

51485880233_b5907dc7c3_c.jpg

Then comes the olive oil:

51486388039_4381e0bb77_c.jpg

Then comes the balsamic:

51486586285_78a7eaffd6_c.jpg

...and the parmesan:

51485664866_bf858a1444_c.jpg

...Some fresh ground pepper, and the final appearance:

51486587635_509f1d39af_c.jpg

My entree was the Lavender Roasted Duck Breast with Balsamic Cherries, Chestnut Cappuccino, Salsify and a Poached Radish:

51486595945_0cd2d8c4fa_c.jpg

That's one of my absolute favorite Crystal dishes of all time, but the chestnut cappuccino was a little thin and weak that night.  Tiny complaint.

Dessert was the Affogato riff on Tiramisu -- Espresso Flavored Lady Fingers, Layered with Light Mascarpone Cheese and Mascarpone Ice Cream.  The server pours hot water over the grounds table side:

51485674121_b2751ab36b_c.jpg

...Final presentation:  

51501001005_5f627de92b_c.jpg

...And of course petit fours with coffee:

51485664991_64095070d0_c.jpg

Fin.

Vince

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Just thought I would take a moment to post some comments.  My husband and I returned this past Sunday from this Symphony Boston roundtrip sailing.  (Would love to have more sailings from and to Boston - hope Crystal is reading this).  All I can say is that it was fabulous in every way.  We were both amazed at how Crystal has kept its high standards intact even with what it has had to go through with the pandemic.  Food; service; lectures; entertainment; etc. -- all remain at the highest level.  And we felt incredibly safe -- everyone was vaccinated, crew wore masks, plenty of room to socially distance from others everywhere you went, numerous Covid testings of passengers and crew.  It was so wonderful to feel a bit normal after the last year and a half.  It really boosted our spirits.  We are now booked on 2 upcoming Symphony cruises -- one over Christmas, and the other in late January.  We can't wait! 

• Like 11