Update 9/14/21: Princess U.S. vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized at-home antigen test

LACruiser88

24 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

I ordered from Optum and was asked for a date of birth, so I put my own. At no place in the ordering engine was I ever asked for name(s). Seeing what folks are saying here, I'm unhappy since I thought I had things covered. I've emailed Optum to ask specifically if the two tests I purchased can be used one each for the both of us.

I did the same. I ordered the pack with 2 tests from Optum, answering the questions for me. They have not arrived yet. I checked out as a guest, which is where I entered my name, address... for order delivery. The Optum receipt has a diagnosis code, for reimbursement purposes, but no name on it. I didn't see a need to set up an Optum store account.

I assume an account will need to be set up via eMed before taking the test in order to use the Abbott NAVICA app, and that is where names are entered? I guess I'm not sure whether the 2 tests are already coded to me. 

48 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

I ordered from Optum and was asked for a date of birth, so I put my own. At no place in the ordering engine was I ever asked for name(s). Seeing what folks are saying here, I'm unhappy since I thought I had things covered. I've emailed Optum to ask specifically if the two tests I purchased can be used one each for the both of us.

Let us know please…

39 minutes ago, redrobin said:

I assume an account will need to be set up via eMed before taking the test in order to use the Abbott NAVICA app, and that is where names are entered? I guess I'm not sure whether the 2 tests are already coded to me. 

This is correct. You will create a Navica account and perform the test through eMed. There is a QR code on the box that you scan when you are ready to take the test. I did not try to create an account and test for a different person, but based on how this appears to be working so far, I doubt the system is sophisticated enough to know which tests have been assigned to me. It will be interesting to learn whether you are able to use one test for each of you.

• Like 1

One comment based on watching Tony's (La Lido Loca) YouTube proctored test experience with EMed, if anything whatsoever goes wrong while the test is being witnessed, it will be invalidated.

For example, Tony knocked his test card off the table while trying to remove the swab from the package.  Tony said, "nothing spilled", the proctor said, doesn't matter the card left my sight and therefore is spoiled. Get a new kit and let's start again.  I wasn't a big deal because Tony bought a 6 pack and therefore had another one handy.  

I say this only as a warning if folks plan to order a 2 pack to cover two sailors.  Doing so leaves you no room for error which could be quite stressful 48 hours before you hope to board.  

'nuf said.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rj59 said:

Be aware, Optum and emed are shipping tests near expiration. Mine expire on 10/15, although they are extending actual expiration 3 months, to 1/15. Shady practice, especially for those hoping to use them for cruises next year. 

Why is this a shady practice? Products often have expiry dates and yours has an expiration date of four months.

Do you but a container of milk requiring refrigeration with a use by date and expect it to still be good  in six months when you plan to use it?

17 hours ago, kiwimum said:

I received my tests from Optum this afternoon.   Order placed September 3, delivery estimated September 6, received September 15.   The expiration date on the box is September 21, 2021, a sticker on the box indicates expiration extended 3 months.    We will be using them for a November cruise where the testing window opens Thanksgiving Day.

Buyer Beware.

Your test kits are good until December 21, 2021. You plan to use them in November. What is the problem?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nini said:

Assuming this testing policy continues through next year...

My concern is that we have booked flights to London to arrive 3 nights before our

British Isles cruise.

Suggestions for getting tested 48 hours before embarkation? Flying in a few days before embarkation is very common. And then praying the results are negative while in a foreign country.

This is why for our EU trips booked next year, we plan to be flying in the day before.  Not 2 or 3.

I mean things can certainly change between now & then.....

But I prefer to be here for Pre-cruise testing, Not there.

8 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Why is this a shady practice? Products often have expiry dates and yours has an expiration date of four months.

Do you but a container of milk requiring refrigeration with a use by date and expect it to still be good  in six months when you plan to use it?

Your test kits are good until December 21, 2021. You plan to use them in November. What is the problem?

Absolutely no problem on my end.  The buyer beware comment was for those individuals purchasing multiple tests anticipating they can be used for 2022 cruises.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 1:05 PM, LACruiser88 said:

This was updated yesterday on the Princess web site:

For U.S. guests, Princess has partnered with Quest Diagnostics to provide scheduling to no-cost* COVID-19 test appointments, with test results delivered within 48 hours after taking your test. Find a testing location near you.

You can also contact your nearest health center, pharmacy (including CVS and Walgreens), state health department, or transiting airport to learn more about their availability for COVID-19 testing.

Princess has also partnered with Optum so that U.S.-based vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized at-home antigen test kit, shipped to your door in 3 business days or less. These at-home tests include a personal virtually video-supervised visit with an eMed Certified Guide through telehealth services. These guides will help you properly administer the test and verify the results, within 15 minutes. The lab result report is delivered via email and can be printed or displayed on your mobile device during check-in. Please place your order with enough time to be shipped prior to your boarding. Order your test kit online.

*This COVID-19 no-cost-to-you program is available to eligible individuals for $0 out of pocket when billed to a health plan or the government.

I can understand testing unvaccinated people, but I think testing vaccinated guests is excessive and unnecessary.  Hopefully this practice will change next year.

• Like 4

Upon completion of our Alaska cruise we purchased the BinaxNOW self tests to take at home for our own peace of mind, one of the two tests in the box did not work which makes me reluctant to purchase the supervised tests unless I buy at least one extra.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jondfk said:

One comment based on watching Tony's (La Lido Loca) YouTube proctored test experience with EMed, if anything whatsoever goes wrong while the test is being witnessed, it will be invalidated.

For example, Tony knocked his test card off the table while trying to remove the swab from the package.  Tony said, "nothing spilled", the proctor said, doesn't matter the card left my sight and therefore is spoiled. Get a new kit and let's start again.  I wasn't a big deal because Tony bought a 6 pack and therefore had another one handy.  

I say this only as a warning if folks plan to order a 2 pack to cover two sailors.  Doing so leaves you no room for error which could be quite stressful 48 hours before you hope to board.  

'nuf said.

Yeah, I watched Tony's video the other day. It was informative. He had extra to deal with trying to manage the camera for his video and the proctor too! Jenny was like, I'm just gonna stay back here on the sofa... : )

I will likely have my husband order a second 2 pack, to be on the safe side, but wanted to see how ordering the first one from Optum goes. In the Buyer Beware thread, it sounds like the @cruzin4us might have bought the 6 test kit directly from eMed, not through Optum. Only 3 names could be entered for those 6 tests, and the intent of the 2 pack from Optum seems to be 2 tests for one person. Does anyone sell just a single test? Optum sells a 3 pack too. 

Found this on the Majestic Roll call for one of our cruises.  This member contacted Optum via email regarding two individuals using a 2 pack of tests.   The tests are not tied to a specific person.

Thank you for contacting the Optum Store.
I would be more than happy to help you with any questions or concerns you may have. To answer your question yes, when you purchase the 2 pack of Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test with eMed Telehealth Services - 2 Pack for Travel tests for COVID-19, you are allowed to use it on individual people. At first the test will ask for registration information for you, but when proctored by Telehealth or eMed they will ask for your husbands information as well for the 2nd test.

If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to us.

Thank you,
Tamara White

Optum Store Team

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

Found this on the Majestic Roll call for one of our cruises.  This member contacted Optum via email regarding two individuals using a 2 pack of tests.   The tests are not tied to a specific person.

Thank you for contacting the Optum Store.
I would be more than happy to help you with any questions or concerns you may have. To answer your question yes, when you purchase the 2 pack of Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test with eMed Telehealth Services - 2 Pack for Travel tests for COVID-19, you are allowed to use it on individual people. At first the test will ask for registration information for you, but when proctored by Telehealth or eMed they will ask for your husbands information as well for the 2nd test.

If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to us.

Thank you,
Tamara White

Optum Store Team

I knew I saw this somewhere! Thank you for posting. I'll still come back and add whatever they tell me when I hear back from them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, nini said:

Assuming this testing policy continues through next year...

My concern is that we have booked flights to London to arrive 3 nights before our

British Isles cruise.

Suggestions for getting tested 48 hours before embarkation? Flying in a few days before embarkation is very common. And then praying the results are negative while in a foreign country.

We fly in a few days ahead in March. We will test at pier for Sky Princess 

4 hours ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

This is why for our EU trips booked next year, we plan to be flying in the day before.  Not 2 or 3.

I mean things can certainly change between now & then.....

But I prefer to be here for Pre-cruise testing, Not there.

We will test pre flight & then again at pier in UK if they continue 

See this great video that shows someone using the home kit.

It’s very through. Be careful that you don’t accidentally drop the test card on the floor as Tony did as it will be useless. Good to have a least one other card as a backup. 

This test was for a cruise on the Majestic Princess that departed on Sunday. 

Hope you find this video useful. 

Tom😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 007colocruz said:

We will test pre flight & then again at pier in UK if they continue 

1 hour ago, memoak said:

You are assuming the test will still be required in 2022

Of course none of us know , do we? 

If testing is required next March and Princess offers test at pier in Uk, as they are now, then this is our plan 

7 hours ago, kiwimum said:

Absolutely no problem on my end.  The buyer beware comment was for those individuals purchasing multiple tests anticipating they can be used for 2022 cruises.

Yes, this is something we should not “stock up on”.   Difficult for many CC members who are planers.  Myself included. 😂 

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Nuts IMO.  The guy on the other end should use some common sense.  Was he expecting a fake out?

Yep.  People are faking vaccine cards, so they could fake tests. 

RN here. I’ve performed hundreds of these type tests over the years. 

If the session is being observed by a third person for Quality Control and the proctor allowed the test to continue, the protor could very well loose their job.

The most important reason is the proctor really doesn’t know if the either or both the specimen or the medium were contaminated.  This is likely as it fell on the floor.  

I can’t imagine dropping a test and then retrieving it. It needs to be discarded.  

So best to have an extra test to avoid any unnecessary stress. 

• Like 3

I bought a 2 pack for myself and a 2 pack for my wife.  Nowhere in the ordering process did it state that these expire so soon.  I was planning one for our cruise coming up this month (as a back up to our regular testing, in case the results are late) and one for our March cruise.  But now I am seeing they expire in about 3 months.  So, I am going to ask for a refund or a new pair of kits in February.  Also, strangely, they asked me a few questions online before my order, but no questions about my wife's order.  

7 hours ago, milolii said:

Yep.  People are faking vaccine cards, so they could fake tests. 

RN here. I’ve performed hundreds of these type tests over the years. 

If the session is being observed by a third person for Quality Control and the proctor allowed the test to continue, the protor could very well loose their job.

The most important reason is the proctor really doesn’t know if the either or both the specimen or the medium were contaminated.  This is likely as it fell on the floor.  

I can’t imagine dropping a test and then retrieving it. It needs to be discarded.  

So best to have an extra test to avoid any unnecessary stress. 

Maybe I didn't read it carefully enough - I thought it was not opened as yet.

13 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Nuts IMO.  The guy on the other end should use some common sense.  Was he expecting a fake out?

What I love about Tony is he posted his entire experience, including his mistake knocking the card onto the floor.  There's no way to know definitively whether the reagent he had already put into the card had spilled or splashed out, as such, there's no way to know whether his result would have been valid.  He put up no fight, simply moved onto a fresh kit, and completed his test successfully on the second attempt.  

Perhaps just as important the proctor didn't hesitate a moment and declared the test fouled.  There was no gee, what should we do now, or that never happened before.  Very professional, just get a fresh kit and let's try this a second time.  Thanks Tony for posting the full experience.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, jondfk said:

What I love about Tony is he posted his entire experience, including his mistake knocking the card onto the floor.  There's no way to know definitively whether the reagent he had already put into the card had spilled or splashed out, as such, there's no way to know whether his result would have been valid.  He put up no fight, simply moved onto a fresh kit, and completed his test successfully on the second attempt.  

Perhaps just as important the proctor didn't hesitate a moment and declared the test fouled.  There was no gee, what should we do now, or that never happened before.  Very professional, just get a fresh kit and let's try this a second time.  Thanks Tony for posting the full experience.

I understand better now from your post (I did not watch the video).