Sailing SD as a single.

Host Dan

I can't believe its been 20 years since I was on board!  (Was Seabourn Goddess 2 at the time).  My partner passed away 2 years ago, then covid..I'm ready to cruise again!  My go to line was always Seabourn, but ready for a more intimate experience.  Question...  it looks like I would be sailing as a single passenger.  Would I be totally bored being alone?  I've always made friends fast on Seabourn, but wonder what SD would be like.   Any tips, suggestions or advice would be great.  I'm hoping for some honest answers.

Thanks folks!

We took a Caribbean cruise on SeaDream 1 a few years ago. We didn't have a reservation for dinner on the first night and were pretty hungry, so we ate as soon as the main restaurant opened. After dinner, we headed straight up to the Top of the Yacht.  We were the first ones there, and enjoyed talking to the bartender while we enjoyed our first after dinner drink sitting at the bar. Shortly after we arrived, a man sat down a few seats away from us and ordered a drink. He started talking to the bartender, and within 5 minutes we were all talking together and he was sitting next to us. He was from Europe, and, at first, we had trouble pronouncing his name. He was very patient with us.

We met many times on that cruise for after dinner drinks at Top of the Yacht. All 3 of us were invited for the same dinner at the Captain's table later that week, along with a couple that we had spent some time with by the pool. The Captain didn't say much, but the 5 of us had a good time.

There were quite a few single women onboard, but they were part of a bird-watching group and were mostly older. We saw them during the day, but not in the bars after dinner.

We're booked on a back to back cruise next spring on SeaDream 2, and my brother will be joining us as a single in his own cabin.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Host Dan said:

Question...  it looks like I would be sailing as a single passenger.  Would I be totally bored being alone? 

Simple answer is no.  I've sailed on Sea Goddess, Seabourn Goddess and SeaDream as a single, as a couple and as part of a group.  In every case, my experience has been that within a few hours everyone on board is acquainted with most everybody else and many friendships develop.

• Like 2

Head for the Top of the Yacht Bar. Definitely the place to meet new friends.  Also, around the pool, in the hot tub, where drinks are always aplenty. Have fun!

I echo your readiness to cruise, again.  We currently have a B2B booked for January (now dependent on Caribbean opening up).

• Like 1

Socializing on board is a two-way street.  There is almost always a way to find some commonality.  Once you start a conversation, slip in "If you don't have other plans, would you like to join me for dinner?"  Note the difference from "May I join you for dinner."  Put yourself out there.  You aren't looking for long time friendship.  It's only a week.  Sometimes you might encounter a couple who just want to be left alone, but you may find a couple who are looking for someone else to talk to besides each other.  And we have found you can't make judgments based upon age or nationality difference (or similarity, for that matter).  Wear a Bucs hat, but make sure you are ready to talk about Brady and the Gronk.

• Like 2