I resent the way Royal treats its Junior Suite Guests

adolfo2

40 minutes ago, RosieRoo said:

On Oasis now. We have been in Coastal for all three meals on different days and I’m almost sure there have been Pinnacles at every meal. Coastal has been super busy this week as all the suites are full.  

Thanks for the update!  Enjoy the rest of your cruise!  🙂 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, adolfo2 said:

I minored in marketing AND it's a fine-line between touting the virtues of a product vs. outright fraud 😀

Fraud? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

If you didn't read about the benefits you were or weren't getting then that's on YOU and NO ONE else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, adolfo2 said:

This is a First World problem, but I don’t like the way that “SEA Class / Junior Suite” guests are treated onboard

No access to Suite Sun Deck or Lounge, no breakfast or lunch in Coastal Kitchen (dinner only if/when space is available) is limiting enough BUT having to knock/scratch at the Coastal door when you have reservations & your keycard doesn’t grant access is demeaning.

Yes, I know, cry me a river, but IMHO, Royal should “recharacterize” Junior Suites as Jumbo Balconies and be done with it as the JS category is all Bark and no Bite! 

Trust me you don’t wanna be anywhere near those suite people they drink pink fluffy drinks with pinkies out and one up each other constantly on how many cruises they’ve been on and how well they know this guy and that guy who work on the ship… let them segregate themselves from the rest of the ship I prefer it that way. Slightly tongue-in-cheek but as you can see from some of the comments above it’s somewhat true.

Edited by Moltar
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Moltar said:

Trust me you don’t wanna be anywhere near those suite people they drink pink fluffy drinks with pinkies out and one up each other constantly on how many cruises they’ve been on and how well they know this guy and that guy who work on the ship

So what you are saying is that you've never actually sailed in a suite🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Moltar said:

Grand Suite and a Suite on Azamara. Yeah I prefer the more down to earth crowd . 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

A suite on a bucket list boat tends to attract bucket list people. Bucket list people tend to prattle on about how they're doing on their bucket list. Those pink fuzzy drinks were most likely Pepto Bismol and soda, and the fingers in the air were most likely arthritis.😇

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

11 minutes ago, island lady said:

You ARE posting this thread as joke right?  🤔

That’s what I thought the entire time….that it was just loaded with sarcasm.  I don’t get all the venomous responses back at the OP as though he was a “real” self-entitled jerk.  He’s probably just bored and wanted to stir things up.  I did feel he made a point about customer service responsibilities, but this whole e post has been way off the rails.

2 hours ago, RedIguana said:

Remember the old ships when the only way to have a balcony was to be in a junior suite or above? 

Are you calling me old? 

But yes,  Sovereign except for the ONE balcony on deck 9.    When they added balconies they did a test for deck 9 ( the superior OV) and one for deck 10, the JS.  They decided to add the balconies only to 10 but kept the ONE balcony on deck 9.   A great cabin.  Not only did it have a balcony, for the price of a SOV, the balcony was truly private  as all other cabins were SOV,  and if you were D or above you got a balcony discount.  

Just took a look at my cruise list.  I sailed Sovereign from August 2002 until October 2008.  The secret balcony was 9028

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A big Thank You to everyone for all of your comments (both Pro & Con) as it made for a very enjoyable read!

I was fully aware and OK with the limited “Suite Perks” included with a Junior Suite before booking. I just wasn’t expecting the need to jump through hoops for the ONLY one allotted a JS (in addition to square footage, etc.)

IMHO, Junior Suite is a misnomer/oxymoron, bordering on misrepresentation, as there are just too many exclusions from the norm for the term “Suite” to be included in the stateroom category description. Calling it an Insert_Superlative_HERE Balcony would be way more appropriate.

Guest BigRoger
38 minutes ago, Moltar said:

Grand Suite and a Suite on Azamara. Yeah I prefer the more down to earth crowd . 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

Ah you were going so well….

Come la jour de la revolution you will now not be spared from the guillotine once you are on the list of those having enjoyed the largesse of a full sweet….

Please note those only residing in JS will be spared as they have been so badly treated 

Guest BigRoger
56 minutes ago, adolfo2 said:

I minored in marketing AND it's a fine-line between touting the virtues of a product vs. outright fraud 😀

I might be tempted to keep that slightly under wraps as am sure RC have tons of majors, masters and doctorates in marketing sitting in their marketing teams and look at what a shambles they keep making of communicating things! 😀😃😄🤣

Guest BigRoger
22 minutes ago, dianajo67 said:

That’s what I thought the entire time….that it was just loaded with sarcasm.  I don’t get all the venomous responses back at the OP as though he was a “real” self-entitled jerk.  He’s probably just bored and wanted to stir things up.  I did feel he made a point about customer service responsibilities, but this whole e post has been way off the rails.

Hiya just enjoy it…. It’s been fun 

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

And this is what double the price gets you on that class of ship:

Capture.JPG

And now no matter what level cabin you get, you can pay $25 (?) for "key" and get priority check in/departure and lunch in CHOPS your first day (after dumping your carrying on in a huge pile at the entrance) (perhaps other perks but I can't remember what).

Hopefully RCL won't think of a key for Coastal Kitchen any time soon.

I always get a suite and have had to knock more than once.  Didn't bother me a bit.  

I guess we are the minority when it comes to spending our hard earned money in booking grand  suites or above.  Thus opting out of Junior, because they do not offer everything we want with our limited cruising time.

With the DH still in the work force and he only gets 8 weeks paid vacation a year, we can only travel during these periods.

To explain further, since he gets Thanksgiving week and Christmas week off that only leaves 6 weeks. With family commitments, we do not sail during that time.

Well, then we have to get the house unwinterized, so that week of Memorial day is spent mulching, planting, and getting summer cars ready to cruise. Now were down to 5.

So, we track prices and watch the sales.

We usually only get to cruise at this time 3x a year.

And then do a land vacation the other weeks.  This year we drove  to DisneyWorld and surrounding areas, and checked out the lot we will be building on.  Next year we will be traveling westward ho, and see the sights.

We like Oasis class, and CLS.

So we have booked on board and then transfer to our TA.

We watch all the prices closely, and have always paid less by the fluctuating prices by the time final payment is due,

So at this time, our escape is cruising, and loving the CLS.

It is all to ones personal preference.

Some cruisers enjoy waking up to a beautiful view of the ocean, and others like waking up in a cave, because they are hardly in their cabins, and want to save their money for more cruises.

But whatever the reason to book a suite or not book a suite it is purely ones own preferences and the list of what is offered is clearly stated.

So even if RCI list it as suite (junior), its amenities are clearly stated.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Oh, I do drink foo foo drinks,  but we also buy the drink package, to try new drinks and if we do not like we just move on and try another drink.

I am developing arthritis, but it is my knees, my fingers are fine.

The suite lounge is awesome before Happy Hour.  Great place to chill and read if you are sunned out.

And now if you stay for HH before dinner, you might actually get a nice un - saved seat by the window, with more seating being made available by RCI providing a Pinn lounge for their most loyal guests.

We enjoy CK and dine there almost every night.

And have noticed that on Pre Covid cruises we had on occasion trouble getting our preferred dining time.

Now that they changed booking reservations  (booking on board for Pinns and if space avaiable Junior suites.) to a new system, we should be able to get all our times that we want for dinner.

I guess the problem could be solved if they just rename a junior suite to  something else (upgraded Ocean view). Keep some of the stuff that comes with a junior and end it at that. 

The views expressed are probably going to be scrutinized but.

It is what it is.

Stay safe.

• Like 2

I have to agree that 'Junior Suite' is a lousy name for what that type of cabin is but I can't get my jockey shorts in a twist over it. Royal JS's are not in the same category when it comes to some of the deceptive advertising out there. Has anybody really got wings from drinking a Red Bull? 

Does anybody remember the old Charlton Heston film, Soylent Green, where they feed the starving population wafers supposedly made from ocean plankton, but were actually made from dead people.😲 Now that's deceptive advertising! 

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, DirtyDawg said:

Does anybody remember the old Charlton Heston film, Soylent Green, where they feed the starving population wafers supposedly made from ocean plankton, but were actually made from dead people.😲 Now that's deceptive advertising! 

I’m probably dating myself, but I actually saw that movie 🤮 

• Like 5

On 9/16/2021 at 12:21 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

Imagine the resentment of the full suite guest when a JS guest rolls up in the suite sun deck, having spent a small percentage of their Star class accommodations. 

Why do you have this resentment? I must assume you knew what you were buying when you booked. 

Thank you