Cape Liberty arrival

macaroni

11 minutes ago, macaroni said:

Arriving from a westbound transatlantic. Would appreciate suggestions for a somewhat easy/direct way home to Long Island….even to NY penn station or JFK where we could hop on the LIRR…..thanks!

There's no direct way other than taking a car service.  Every other way requires multiple changes of transportation mode.

One possibility is a taxi from the port to Newark Penn Station, NJ Transit train from Newark Penn Station to NY Penn Station and then the LIRR.

Another possibility would involve a taxi from the port to the 34th St. (Bayonne) Hudson-Bergen Light Rail station to PATH (sorry, but I don't have the time right now to look up the best station to do the HBLR to PATH transfer, which might vary by day of the week) to 33rd St in Manhattan, then walking to Penn Station and getting the LIRR.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

There's no direct way other than taking a car service.  Every other way requires multiple changes of transportation mode.

One possibility is a taxi from the port to Newark Penn Station, NJ Transit train from Newark Penn Station to NY Penn Station and then the LIRR.

Another possibility would involve a taxi from the port to the 34th St. (Bayonne) Hudson-Bergen Light Rail station to PATH (sorry, but I don't have the time right now to look up the best station to do the HBLR to PATH transfer, which might vary by day of the week) to 33rd St in Manhattan, then walking to Penn Station and getting the LIRR.

Car service isn’t cheap, but considering the mode changes and total time involved in mass transit - getting from port to some transit to Penn Station, the LIRR, getting from local station to home (at minimum) - your car service thought sounds very good.  Why end a great trip by beating yourself up to save a few $?

When we debark in Brooklyn or Manhattan we regularly use car service rather than go through hassle to get to GCT to get Metro-North to CT then taxi from local station to home.  If saving money were all-important, we would have stayed home in the first place.

Edited by navybankerteacher

Thanks…not looking for cheap…car service is usually not my favorite form of transportation as I don’t like being in a car if I am not  driving as I get motion sick…sad but true!

is there a car rental agency near the port. Maybe I should just rent a car and drive home?

1 hour ago, macaroni said:

Thanks…not looking for cheap…car service is usually not my favorite form of transportation as I don’t like being in a car if I am not  driving as I get motion sick…sad but true!

is there a car rental agency near the port. Maybe I should just rent a car and drive home?

There's an Enterprise office in Bayonne a few miles from the port. I don't know what day of the week you'll be arriving, so be aware that they are closed on Sunday.

Many car rental companies are located at or near EWR.

19 hours ago, njhorseman said:

For getting to Pennsylvania Station for boarding the LIRR, the places to transfer are either Newport or Hoboken. Light rail trains from Bayonne go to both stations (Newport being penultimate, and Hoboken being last), and from both locations PATH trains go direct to 33rd Street. Newport is adjacent to a large shopping mall, which is convenient if you need to pick up anything, but the wayfinding from the light rail station to the PATH station is not obvious by sight, requires some navigation on city streets, and not especially pronounced. Hoboken wayfinding is easier, and entirely within the railroad station complex (which itself is located within the heart of a very interesting city itself), although again the PATH station is not obvious by sight. Not being familiar with surroundings, Hoboken is probably the better of the two alternatives. A transfer from the light rail train to PATH could also be made at Exchange Place, but the PATH trains at Exchange Place only go direct to World Trade Center, and not to 33rd Street (PATH to 33rd Street would require changing trains; or else a subway ride from World Trade Center to the LIRR at either Pennsylvania Station or Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn ) . . . so best not to transfer at Exchange Place.

My wife and I live near the LIRR station in Flushing, Queens. Our typical plan is taxi or Uber from Cape Liberty to the 34th Street station in Bayonne, then light rail train to Hoboken, then PATH train to 33rd Street, then LIRR or subway home. Neither of us likes being in cars, and the above is the most comfortable, convenient, and reasonably economical means of travel for us.

3 hours ago, GTJ said:

My wife and I live near the LIRR station in Flushing, Queens. Our typical plan is taxi or Uber from Cape Liberty to the 34th Street station in Bayonne, then light rail train to Hoboken, then PATH train to 33rd Street, then LIRR or subway home. Neither of us likes being in cars, and the above is the most comfortable, convenient, and reasonably economical means of travel for us.

To each his own.  I also do not like "being in cars" -- but this A) taxi or uber (sounds like a car), to 34th  Street Station, B) then boarding light rail to Hoboken, C)then PATH to 33rd Street, then D)LIRR or subway home, then E)walk (if very close) or taxi to actual house - handling luggage at each of the four changes of mode - sounds like the sort of exercise compared with  which one car ride might be preferable.

Last time I checked - one-way car rental is either very expensive and/or not available at all ... unlikely as a practical solution.  Have you check with your cruise to see if they offer airport shuttle to JFK - that would be an "easy" & simple option, not necessary the frugal way but probably easier with a fair amount of luggage (assuming it's more than a personal bag & 22" rollerboard for each person). 

2 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Last time I checked - one-way car rental is either very expensive and/or not available at all ... unlikely as a practical solution.  Have you check with your cruise to see if they offer airport shuttle to JFK - that would be an "easy" & simple option, not necessary the frugal way but probably easier with a fair amount of luggage (assuming it's more than a personal bag & 22" rollerboard for each person). 

Good thought - depending on what they would charge per person for the shuttle.  Car service from Bayonne cruise terminal would probably be about $110 to nearest LI town - likely less to Penn Station .

11 hours ago, macaroni said:

I will check if there is a transfer to JFK... otherwise I will just get a car service and deal with it....

Car service solution might not be too bad ... one-way fare for a full-size and deluxe 4 door sedan is just $82 to $87 plus toll (no airport surcharges for JFK, plus you will then need to ride the AirTrain back out to Jamaica LIRR) to LIRR Station in Jamaica - add tolls & tips.  

If you take car service all the way out to Wantagh (I used a local hotel address there) to do a mock booking - it's about $110 ... also, for a weekend morning pickup at Cape Liberty.

This is using Carmel Car Services - you should be able to find another digital / online booking discount - save possible another $5 off the base fare ... just sign up for a new online account with Carmel's App & you should qualify for the instant discount.  Feel free to price compare using Dial 7 Car Service & others. 

Edited by mking8288

On 9/16/2021 at 8:05 PM, macaroni said:

Arriving from a westbound transatlantic. Would appreciate suggestions for a somewhat easy/direct way home to Long Island….even to NY penn station or JFK where we could hop on the LIRR…..thanks!

Call Affordable Car Service located about 20 minutes west of Wantagh.and have the reputation of being very reliable and honest.

Edited by lenquixote66