New requirements for passengers from Ireland and UK

Beamafar

4 hours ago, framboesa said:

Hello, do you have idea if this is mandatory only for UK residents, or is it mandatory for everybody? I'm from Portugal, and it's hard to reach to MSC to get answers... Thank you

It is determined by your place of residence not present location. Interestingly, its not on the German website (which is a huge money spinner for them) or indeed the Global website. You could try giving them a change of address to Portugal ...that might upset their applecart. Would love to see what they are offering Brits and Irish to cancel and stay away. Transparency and communication is not their strong point. 

• Like 1

As the UK is no longer an EU member their residents no longer have the protection of the EU, so there is probably no issue with imposing any rules they want. But Ireland is part of the EU and a member of the EU open travel deal....can they impose this on them. Shouldnt MSC as a EU registered Company be required to respect the EU directives and not discriminate against one nation member? 

I think it’s just convenient for MSC to treat us as they do the UK market.  We have to book through the London office if we want to book direct;  their promotions are usually in line with what the Uk gets,  and gratuities are built into the fare, again, same as UK. 

4 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

I think it’s just convenient for MSC to treat us as they do the UK market.  We have to book through the London office if we want to book direct;  their promotions are usually in line with what the Uk gets,  and gratuities are built into the fare, again, same as UK. 

They are applying the gratuities to ALL fares as a HOTEL SERVICE CHARGE for travel from November onwards (apparently). I dont mind the gratuities, what I hate with a passion is paying a bar service charge of 15% because I dont want to buy a Drinks Package. Its double dipping. I wonder will they dump it when Hotel Service Charge is introduced. 2 service fees would be hard to sell to even the most ardent cruise fan.

16 minutes ago, MSC anti body said:

They are applying the gratuities to ALL fares as a HOTEL SERVICE CHARGE for travel from November onwards (apparently). I dont mind the gratuities, what I hate with a passion is paying a bar service charge of 15% because I dont want to buy a Drinks Package. Its double dipping. I wonder will they dump it when Hotel Service Charge is introduced. 2 service fees would be hard to sell to even the most ardent cruise fan.

Where did you read this ?

13 minutes ago, MSC anti body said:

From Irish Citizens Advice

EU consumer laws provide you with the following key rights:

1. You have the right to truthful advertising
  2. You have the right to have faulty goods repaired or replaced
  3. You have the right to contracts without unfair clauses
  4. You have the right to return most goods purchased online within 14 days
  5. You have the right to access goods and services on the same terms as local customers
  6. You have the right to free assistance from European Consumer Centres for problems with a trader based within the EU/EEA

MSC appear, at face value, to be breaching 3 and 5 above if same conditions are not imposed on residents of all member states!!!! Any Legal Gurus out there with an opinion? 

3 minutes ago, MSC anti body said:

A letter issued to all agents on 21 April 2021

"During your cruise you will meet staff throughout the ship who provide you with excellent service. They are supported by just as many staff and crew who work hard behind the scenes to ensure you enjoy every moment onboard.
Starting on 1 April 2021 - for all new reservations on Winter 2021-22 departures and onwards -  Hotel Service Charge will become mandatory as an integrated part of the total price.
The Hotel Service charge does not apply to children under 2 years of age old at the time of the cruise departure date."

52 minutes ago, MSC anti body said:

As the UK is no longer an EU member their residents no longer have the protection of the EU, so there is probably no issue with imposing any rules they want. But Ireland is part of the EU and a member of the EU open travel deal....can they impose this on them. Shouldnt MSC as a EU registered Company be required to respect the EU directives and not discriminate against one nation member? 

From Irish Citizens Advice

EU consumer laws provide you with the following key rights:

1. You have the right to truthful advertising
  2. You have the right to have faulty goods repaired or replaced
  3. You have the right to contracts without unfair clauses
  4. You have the right to return most goods purchased online within 14 days
  5. You have the right to access goods and services on the same terms as local customers
  6. You have the right to free assistance from European Consumer Centres for problems with a trader based within the EU/EEA

MSC appear, at face value, to be breaching 3 and 5 above if same conditions are not imposed on residents of all member states!!!! Any Legal Gurus out there with an opinion? 

14 hours ago, Beamafar said:

It should be on your country's website in the 'Travel Updates' section.  

In my website it says the same since the begining: Certificate or test. But i keep reading about passengers receiving the last minute e-mails and I was thinking that this was one "last minute thing". I saw that the UK website is diferent regarding to Covid measures pre cruise. Thank you

11 hours ago, MSC anti body said:

It is determined by your place of residence not present location. Interestingly, its not on the German website (which is a huge money spinner for them) or indeed the Global website. You could try giving them a change of address to Portugal ...that might upset their applecart. Would love to see what they are offering Brits and Irish to cancel and stay away. Transparency and communication is not their strong point. 

I'm portuguese, living in Portugal and will  also leave from Portugal. I'm checking the portuguese website and it remains the same since the begining (Covid certificate for double vacinne or pcr test). The only new thing is that now they will test also during embarkation. But we have nothing regarding to pcr 2 days before, like in the UK website and like in the e-mails. 

Edited by framboesa

All I can suggest is that you keep a close eye on the Portuguese website.  The Ireland and UK sites were updated immediately.   I’m sure that MSC will ensure the very latest information is posted on their sites with the requirements for each country. 

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Yep, the Irish being lumped in, despite no Irish on those sailings, plus over 90% vaccinated here and very few cases.  

Unfortunately most of the world does not understand that Ireland is not part of the UK....guess it's because the island is split North and Eire!! You are doing waaaaay better than the UK, and we in Scotland overall seem to have the highest rates.

On 9/17/2021 at 1:54 PM, Beamafar said:

EXTRACT FROM MSC GERMANY 21?09/2021. NOTE ONLY ONE DOC REQUIRED

NOTE IMPORTANT COVID-19 INFORMATION / PRE-EMBARKATION MEASURES AND HEALTH CHECK-IN - TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS Please note that for all cruises in the coming months, one of the following documents must be presented before embarkation (applies from July 1st, 2021): Fully vaccinated: All persons are considered fully vaccinated from the 14th day after administration of all necessary Covid-19 vaccine doses (accepted vaccines are Biontech / Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson). The proof of the complete vaccination of the person applies. All persons who have only received one dose of vaccine because they have already survived Covid-19 disease and are in possession of all the necessary medical evidence are also considered fully vaccinated. Recovered: Evidence is required that recovery from Covid 19 disease was no longer than 180 days ago. Negatively tested persons: A negative Covid-19 test proof (PCR or antigen test) applies within 48 hours before embarkation (not required for passengers under 2 years of age).