New requirements for passengers from Ireland and UK

Beamafar

I noticed the following today, whilst doing a repositioning cruise dummy booking on the MSC website. which is news to me, as it potentially means we can board if our repo goes ahead in November....perhaps it's been there for a while, or recent new wording??...:

Non-Schengen residents (except for UK, Ireland, Romania, Bulgaria, USA, Cyprus, Croatia) are currently not allowed to sail with us because of international and national travel restrictions, for cruises till end of September 2021.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2021 at 9:19 AM, Beamafar said:

That would make sense as there wasn’t enough notification given for September travellers.  Still, it’s a pain as well as an extra cost!

No such luck - we sail on Monday and we have to have PCR tests done

How can children between 12 and 15 be double vaccinated in the UK? My travel agent's email updated me that my children needed to be fully vaccinated for our October cruise and have the pcr test. I called msc to just check arrangements and was told fully vaccinated means double vaccinated. My 12 year old is only being offered one dose and that is deemed fully vaccinated in the UK.

I'm too tired and distraught to go into details here. But I've been on the phone and email to msc. My doc will give a letter of exemption to explain that my child has been vaccinated once and cannot have a second dose under currently UK medical rules.

Please can anyone in the same situation lobby msc to get them to address this unfairness. Has anyone got any news to share on this point please? 

I found the new requirements for Irish and British residents arbitrary and unjust and therefore contacted GROW-YOUR-EUROPE-ADVICE@ec.europa.eu which is a consumers affairs Division of the EU Commission, highlighting the * and PCR test required by Irish and British residents"

Their response is posted as received below - 

"EU law on the EU Digital COVID Certificate (Regulation (EU) 2021/953) covers the use of the certificate to facilitate travel within the Union during the COVID-19 pandemic. It does not prescribe or prohibit other uses for the certificate. The EU Digital COVID Certificate serves as proof of vaccination, testing and recovery, which can be used across EU Member States, and the EEA countries Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein, as well as Switzerland. When travelling, every EU Digital COVID Certificate holder will have the same rights as citizens of the visited Member State who were vaccinated, tested or recovered from COVID-19. Member States may not impose additional restrictions to free movement, unless they are necessary and proportionate for the purpose of safeguarding public health.

In your case, it appears that the restriction is not being imposed by a Member State. Rather, it is being imposed by the cruise company. We recommend that you refer this matter to the European Consumer Centre in Ireland for assistance in ensuring that your rights as the holder of an EU digital covid certificate are respected - https://www.eccireland.ie/consumers-rights/complaints/cross-border-complaint/ "

Posted for the benefit of affected MSC cruise passengers.

4 hours ago, minximom said:

How can children between 12 and 15 be double vaccinated in the UK? My travel agent's email updated me that my children needed to be fully vaccinated for our October cruise and have the pcr test. I called msc to just check arrangements and was told fully vaccinated means double vaccinated. My 12 year old is only being offered one dose and that is deemed fully vaccinated in the UK.

I'm too tired and distraught to go into details here. But I've been on the phone and email to msc. My doc will give a letter of exemption to explain that my child has been vaccinated once and cannot have a second dose under currently UK medical rules.

Please can anyone in the same situation lobby msc to get them to address this unfairness. Has anyone got any news to share on this point please? 

The UK ruling is that one vaccination is fully vaccinated for 12-15 year olds. Not sure how long you've got to sort this but writing to Antonio Paridiso may help. He won't reply himself, obviously, but people screening his mail tend to be a bit more flexible and pay more attention than regular customer services. 

Tweeting them would be another good way to escalate this and get others to weigh in. Good luck. 

• Thanks 1

What some people are forgetting is that the UK market is very small in the grand scheme of MSC.  They're working with the majority rules policy and just because the UK has a different way of vaccinating teens, doesn't mean that the UK gets a free pass.

This isn't a poke at the UK members but the world doesn't revolve around you and no cruise company is obliged to make every single country happy as that's unfeasible.  Given the Covid transmissions during the end of summer staycation cruises, carrying unvaccinated passengers was the wrong decision and had a massive impact on the crew as well.  There was also the issue of BoJo declaring no masks for anybody in England which some dopes took as gospel no matter where they went, refusing to wear masks or have common decency onboard.

Sometimes you just have to accept a situation and possibly look for an alternative which fits your circumstances.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MSC anti body said:

Member States may not impose additional restrictions to free movement, unless they are necessary and proportionate for the purpose of safeguarding public health.

And there you have it.  MSC, as an Italian company, has decided that additional testing for non-Schengen passengers in the form of a PCR test is necessary to safeguard passenger and crew health onboard.  I don't think that starting a protest is going to achieve anything here.  We may not like it, but we are the ones choosing to cruise and we have to follow their rules

• Like 1

My view on the whole situation is that cruise companies have to make decisions on how to control the onboard environments for the safety of all, regardless of the measures in place of the different countries each ship visits. As a result, we as customers, have no choice but to dance to those tunes, whether we like it or not. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

My view on the whole situation is that cruise companies have to make decisions on how to control the onboard environments for the safety of all, regardless of the measures in place of the different countries each ship visits. As a result, we as customers, have no choice but to dance to those tunes, whether we like it or not. 

Absolutely, and as a UK resident the rules MSC have imposed seem fair to me. I speak as one who, under current rules for Schengen territories, may not be able to board the cruise we have booked for November.

The UK Government has given the middle finger to Europe for years, and for some reason believe we are still a world power.....nope, we have given Europe cause to ignore our constant whingeing! 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Babaduck said:

Missing the point.

EU consumer laws provides the following key rights:

1. You have the right to truthful advertising
  2. You have the right to have faulty goods repaired or replaced
  3. You have the right to contracts without unfair clauses
  4. You have the right to return most goods purchased online within 14 days
  5. You have the right to access goods and services on the same terms as local customers
  6. You have the right to free assistance from European Consumer Centres for problems with a trader based within the EU/EEA

How does the new requiremnt safeguard public Health? 

Observation the ship has 100 vaccinated passengers, 10 Irish, 10 British and 80 made up of German, French, Spanish and Italians. Where does the highest risk lie ? 20% tested or 80% untested! The policy is not proportionate and could not be viewed as necessary to protect public health unless the majority of passengers booked on the ships are Irish and British. I would have no objection to it if it applied to ALL passengers. 

In addition, if a Member state, where the Cruise is calling to collect and drop off passengers,  has not restricted the Travel rights of EU Vac Cert holders and chosen not to impose additional requirements (PCR tests in the preceeding 72 hours) how can such action be justified by a commercial company.

MSC are riding rough shod over the rights of Covid Vaccine Certificate holders simply because they reside in Ireland or GB. 

Edited by MSC anti body

8 minutes ago, MSC anti body said:

MSC are riding rough shod over the rights of Covid Vaccine Certificate holders simply because they reside in Ireland or GB. 

As the UK has left the EU, their citizens no longer enjoy the rights and protections that the EU affords its members.

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

As the UK has left the EU, their citizens no longer enjoy the rights and protections that the EU affords its members.

Of course, put in post for example only. But they are flying in the face of EU law in relation to requirement being applied only to Irish residents while residents of other EU nations have their EU Covid Cert respected and accepted in line with the underlying principles which allows free movement and travel. Worse still they will probably get away with it. I wonder would Ryanair get away with requiring Germans to have a PCR test before boarding a plane. I can only imagine the out cry, unfortunetly in Ireland we tend to take crap on the chin. 

I'm in a confusing situation.  I'm a US/UK Dual Citizen, and have booked the cruise through the a US travel agent, even though I'm currently residing in the UK.  I'm booked on a cruise out of Rome in mid October.  

Current rules seem to say that US passengers need either PCR or anti-gen test, but UK passengers are only allowed PCR tests.    

Not only is an antigen test cheaper, but I can pay for a walk in test on Wednesday night that give a time frame sufficient for flight to Italy on Thursday and boarding ship on Friday.  Since PCR tests are send away, I don't think I could trust the timing of having a single test cover both arrival to Italy and boarding the ship.  

I'm wondering if the fact that I booked through the US site, and can provide a US address, means I could manage with an antigen test.

1 hour ago, doconner said:

I'm in a confusing situation.  I'm a US/UK Dual Citizen, and have booked the cruise through the a US travel agent, even though I'm currently residing in the UK.  I'm booked on a cruise out of Rome in mid October.  

Current rules seem to say that US passengers need either PCR or anti-gen test, but UK passengers are only allowed PCR tests.    

Not only is an antigen test cheaper, but I can pay for a walk in test on Wednesday night that give a time frame sufficient for flight to Italy on Thursday and boarding ship on Friday.  Since PCR tests are send away, I don't think I could trust the timing of having a single test cover both arrival to Italy and boarding the ship.  

I'm wondering if the fact that I booked through the US site, and can provide a US address, means I could manage with an antigen test.

My feeling is the requirement will depend on your passport.....

1 hour ago, doconner said:

They have made such a dogs dinner of this who would know. Presently, the PCR test requirement appears to be only on the Irish and British web sites and it is therefore based on RESIDENCE. 

20 hours ago, hamrag said:

Absolutely, and as a UK resident the rules MSC have imposed seem fair to me. I speak as one who, under current rules for Schengen territories, may not be able to board the cruise we have booked for November.

The UK Government has given the middle finger to Europe for years, and for some reason believe we are still a world power.....nope, we have given Europe cause to ignore our constant whingeing! 

Interesting comments, however, European Maritime Law requires Shipping Companies operating in European Ports, including MSC, to act and operate in accord with European Law.....NOT MAKE UP their own rules....Are MSC doing so? the short answer is NO. They are making up the rules in breach of a whole raft of Laws. European Law dictates that Residents of EU members are allowed free movement and travel when in possession of a EU Covid Vaccination Certificate. NO Member state has introduced ANY additional requirements.....what gives MSC that right? Are they a higher authority than a State ? 

MSC have revamped the itinery for the Virtuosa and are now calling to CAdiz insted of Casablanca because of Safety Concerns...but a Moroccan citizen can jon the cruise in Barcelona after 30 September without a PCR test...absolutely amazing logic

Edited by MSC anti body

2 hours ago, MSC anti body said:

Interesting comments, however, European Maritime Law requires Shipping Companies operating in European Ports, including MSC, to act and operate in accord with European Law.....NOT MAKE UP their own rules....Are MSC doing so? the short answer is NO. They are making up the rules in breach of a whole raft of Laws. European Law dictates that Residents of EU members are allowed free movement and travel when in possession of a EU Covid Vaccination Certificate. NO Member state has introduced ANY additional requirements.....what gives MSC that right? Are they a higher authority than a State ? 

MSC have revamped the itinery for the Virtuosa and are now calling to CAdiz insted of Casablanca because of Safety Concerns...but a Moroccan citizen can jon the cruise in Barcelona after 30 September without a PCR test...absolutely amazing logic

Somewhat like in the past when you could not have a Coffee with Bailey's in it, but you could have a Coffee and a Bailey's! Seems the same person is making up the rules.

On 9/18/2021 at 8:38 AM, Beamafar said:

Not a bad price - Boots, here, are charging €139 pp.  TMB are offering a discounted price €99 in some of their locations. 

its only €69 for a pcr test with gosafe48 based in dundrun or fingal result in 4-8 hours

3 minutes ago, TheGuv316 said:

its only €69 for a pcr test with gosafe48 based in dundrun or fingal result in 4-8 hours

Thanks a mil - really appreciate it.  Will definitely check that out.  Dundrum isn’t much further than where I was planning to get it done.  👍👍

It appears the MSC UK Website has been updated again today and no longer a requirement for have a PCR Test to join any Med cruises between now and March 2022, the only requirement is Covid-19 Insurance

Does everyone else read this the same?

Also, to fly to Italy do we still need a PSC Test if travelling from the UK. IF we do the above doesn't really make any difference i suppose

MSC Cruises Provides Update on Protocols for the Winter Season (cruisehive.com)

Mediterranean

As with the summer programme, vaccinated and not-fully vaccinated guests from Schengen countries[1] will be able to book these cruises. To embark, these guests will either need to have a negative antigen or RT-PCR test taken with 48 hours of departure or be fully vaccinated or have recovered from COVID-19 within the last six months.

Non-Schengen guests will also be able to book these cruises and will need to be fully vaccinated, as well as providing a negative RT-PCR test taken within 72 hours of their cruise departure.

Guests can only go ashore when participating in an MSC shore excursion and some excursions will require an official COVID certificate (e.g. EU Digital COVID certificate) to access some tourist venues, such as museums or churches.

Northern Europe

All guests 12 years and above need to be fully vaccinated and guests aged from two years to 11 years old will need need to provide proof of a negative RT-PCR test or antigen taken within 48 hours of their cruise departure.

Non-Schengen guests will also be able to book these cruises and will need to be fully vaccinated as well as providing a negative RT-PCR test taken within 72 hours of their cruise departure.