Anchorage to Seward

Glendakayself

On 9/19/2021 at 9:57 AM, GTJ said:

What was a bit difficult to follow with your general description was its inclusion of Lake Louise and Banff, places no longer served by Via Rail Canada, and I assumed that your itinerary was with the Rocky Mountaineer service. I do now see that you mentioned Jasper as well, which is served by Via Rail Canada's Canadian service. So it makes sense to travel Via Rail Canada from Vancouver to Jasper, then motorcoach (presumably either Brewster or Sundog) from Jasper to Lake Louise and Banff via the Icefields Parkway. A classic holiday trip (though surprising to me that the cruise line would offer the trip at a better price than self-booking the same journey). Might you have planned Via's "Prestige" service, or just an ordinary bedroom? In either case, traveling with one of Via's "Park" cars on the tail end makes for a superb journey!

Hmm... I typed in a long response to this post, but it did not seem to stick.

The class of Via Rail class of service is described as "Sleeper Plus, Private Cabin" according to the cruiseline brochure. One brochure photo shows a large double bed filling the room and facing a window. However, a Cruise Critic reviewer photo showed bunk beds. It may have to do with the class of cruise stateroom booked. In our case, it is the lowest category of balcony.

Cruise Critic reviewers have noted that we could save money by doing the tour on our own, and I remember researching options including taking a tour with another company or renting a car. This trip was originally booked for September, 2020, and then May, 2021--both cancelled by the cruiseline due to COVID issues. I really do not remember our reasoning for booking through the cruiseline rather than touring on our own. I am guessing there are too many moving parts that would not easily line up. However, with the current uncertainties of travel, it is comforting to leave it with the cruiseline. No payment needs to be made until next spring. 

Edited by Glendakayself

4 hours ago, Glendakayself said:

The class of Via Rail class of service is described as "Sleeper Plus, Private Cabin" according to the cruiseline brochure. * * *

Yes, you have a regular bedroom on the Canadian. For some reason there is an urge among many railroad marketing people to discard traditional names and invent new names, presumably to create some sort of different image. And that's what "Sleeper Plus" seems to be: a new moniker. The traditional names that all railroad people know are: roomette (new parlance--"Sleeper Plus" for one), bedroom (for two), drawing room (for three), and connecting bedroom (for four). I wish Via Rail Canada would use traditional names, so people would not be confused (and several years ago then-president of Amtrak David Gunn ordered just that for Amtrak sleeping cars). On the other hand, the "Prestige" service truly is a new type of room. Via Rail structurally changed the car configurations to create what is really an oversized railroad sleeping room that is the pinnacle of accommodations. I have not traveled with Prestige service--its price tag is quite dear!--so I can't opine on the quality of the workmanship of the reconfiguration, and I have heard a few complaints that the service provided by Via Rail's staff needs some work to live up to the prices charged. I would be very happy with a regular bedroom. You should note that the large double bed is Prestige service, and that you should expect the bedroom to have bunk beds . . . you can see the configuration here.

There's a couple of thoughts on booking directly or through the cruise line. Generally, I prefer direct booking because it eliminates the middleman in problem resolution (a middleman can be helpful if knowledgeable and willing to go to bat, but more often I find middlemen not to be knowledgeable--especially concerning train travel--and not always willing to go to bat), and I don't have to pay a fee for the "services" of a middleman. On the other hand, sometimes the fee for service is worthwhile--someone else takes on that responsibility of coordinating all the arrangements--and sometimes the middleman has greater bargaining power with the supplier that can actually result in a lower cost for the passenger. So I see a bit of a mixed bag on the matter, depending on the particulars of the travel and individual planning preferences.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GTJ said:

Yes, you have a regular bedroom on the Canadian. For some reason there is an urge among many railroad marketing people to discard traditional names and invent new names, presumably to create some sort of different image. And that's what "Sleeper Plus" seems to be: a new moniker. The traditional names that all railroad people know are: roomette (new parlance--"Sleeper Plus" for one), bedroom (for two), drawing room (for three), and connecting bedroom (for four). I wish Via Rail Canada would use traditional names, so people would not be confused (and several years ago then-president of Amtrak David Gunn ordered just that for Amtrak sleeping cars). On the other hand, the "Prestige" service truly is a new type of room. Via Rail structurally changed the car configurations to create what is really an oversized railroad sleeping room that is the pinnacle of accommodations. I have not traveled with Prestige service--its price tag is quite dear!--so I can't opine on the quality of the workmanship of the reconfiguration, and I have heard a few complaints that the service provided by Via Rail's staff needs some work to live up to the prices charged. I would be very happy with a regular bedroom. You should note that the large double bed is Prestige service, and that you should expect the bedroom to have bunk beds . . . you can see the configuration here.

Thanks for the explanation and visual. That is what I was expecting. However, on previous cruisetours, the accomadation class has varied depending on cruise stateroom category. I suspect that those in suites might have the prestiege class. A private cabin with bunk beds will work for our short journey. With someone else is cooking, cleaning, and driving, I will not complain. We have become spoiled to cruising, and recently decided the way to get away during the pandemic was to repeat a road/camping trip we had enjoyed in much younger bodies. Lessons were learned on that trip. 

On a side note, I have been trying to contact A.C.T. Big Bus to inquire about taking their bus on the day we want to travel to Seward. I can book their bus to pick us up at our hotel at 9 AM, but it notes on the website that transportation on the requested day is for different cruiselines other than the one we have booked. It drops at the cruise terminal, but we can easily make our way from the terminal to our hotel independently.  However, the logistics of keeping our luggage separate from that which they leave with the long shoremen, may present a problem.  I have left a message on their web site, voice mail, Face Book page, and e-mailed with no response. I am guessing that they are not currently working due to the lack of sailing from Seward this year. 

5 hours ago, Glendakayself said:

A.C.T. just called, and we can book their bus. 9 AM is earlier than what we were thinking, but it will work well with the hotel pickup. We should be able to make our way to Seward, drop the luggage at the hotel, and find lunch before exploring Seward.

That sounds like a good plan. Wednesday is not a regular day for large vessels to call at Seward, but Regent Seven Seas Cruises will be sending its Seven Seas Mariner there on alternate Wednesdays in 2022. (ACT seems to be offering a service on every Wednesday in July, so there might also be other small vessels as well on Wednesday . . . Princess Cruises has the bulk of the passengers, but departing from Whittier every Wednesday, though it 2022 it looks at though Wednesday Princess visits to Whittier will be every other week in July, via the Grand Princess, with 3,100 passengers.) The Seven Seas Mariner is not a large vessel, with only 700 passengers, so ACT should not be getting a lot of passengers itself, compared to when one of the mega-vessels visits Seward. I don't know if ACT will work with Regent Seven Seas Cruises to take care of transferring directly without passenger involvement, but upon arrival in Seward you should be able to retrieve whatever baggage you have placed under the coach as it is all being unloaded. In case, when boarding in Anchorage, let the driver--or other employee loading baggage--know that you're not boarding any vessel that day, and your baggage might be segregated into a separate luggage bay. (It is a common practice within the scheduled line run motorcoach industry to use distinct undercarriage bays for baggage destined for particular destinations, as it makes the unloading so much easier for the carrier, and leads to fewer cases of misdirected baggage! Not as critical here, since all baggage will be unloaded at Seward, but if there is coordination with the cruise line for baggage transfer, then segregation of non-vessel baggage makes it easier for everyone involved.)

For something later in the day, you could use the Park Connection bus, which does not depart Anchorage until 3:00 p.m. (it also has a morning departure from Anchorage, but even earlier than ACT, at 7:00 a.m.). You would have to get to the Anchorage Museum for its departure. While ACT specifically orients its service for persons connecting with cruise line vessels, Park Connection has a wider scope of service orientation.

The ACT booking page for our date states that the service is for Seven Seas, Silver Seas, and Viking Cruise Lines. The ACT rep told me to be sure and tell the driver that our luggage would not be going on a ship, and our baggage would be placed separately from that of cruise passengers. The rep also noted that if our luggage was not tagged for a ship, it would not be pulled with other luggage.

ACT:will pick us up at our Anchorage hotel between 9 AM and 10 AM, and they estimate that they will be at the Seward cruise terminal around 12:30 PM. If all goes according to schedule, we will drop luggage at our hotel and have a late lunch...or we will find a restaurant, eat lunch, and then drop luggage. Whatever suits us on that day. 

Edited by Glendakayself
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Glendakayself said:

The ACT booking page for our date states that the service is for Seven Seas, Silver Seas, and Viking Cruise Lines.

I think Alaska Cruise Transportation lists all three carriers as an all-purpose place holder on their website, but not all cruise lines will actually have vessels in port at Seward simultaneously. This is evident from looking at the full cruise line schedule for Seward in 2022:

Norwegian Cruise Line, alternate Mondays, May 9 to Sept 26

Regent Seven Seas Cruises, alternate Wednesdays, May 18 to Sept 14

Silversea Cruises, every Thursday, May 19 to Sept 8 (except 5/26)

Royal Caribbean Group, every Friday, May 13 to Sept 16

Windstar Cruises, four specific dates: 6/11, 7/3, 8/8, 8/29

Viking Ocean Cruises, every 20 days, May 12 to Sept 11, with vessel remaining in port at Seward for three consecutive days (thereby being spread out uniformly over all days of the week for its 21 total days in Seward)

In years past Holland America Line would be in Seward every Sunday, mid-June through mid-September, but it has since relocated to Whittier, joining with Princess Cruises (both of which are brands of Carnival Corp. & plc). While that relocation theoretically leaves open capacity in Seward on Sundays, utilization of that capacity is probably limited by the corresponding capacity of the cruise ship terminal in Vancouver (which Holland America Line continues to use every Sunday). For years Norwegian Cruise Line has dedicated only one vessel to this route, the least of all the mega vessel brands, and which seems surprising to me. Seemingly port capacity would be readily available for NCL to add one vessel and operate weekly, instead of biweekly. This coming year Silversea Cruises, a premium cruise line, will have done just that, adding a second vessel and operating on a weekly schedule. Perhaps Regent Seven Seas Cruises will also do the same sometime in the future. Viking Ocean Cruises tries to be different, so it and its passengers are probably happy enough with its somewhat-quirky schedule.

While Alaska Cruise Transportation has a somewhat flexible departure schedule from Anchorage, so to be able to adjust spontaneously to demand, generally its timetable is as follows:

9:00 a.m. depart Sheraton

9:15 a.m. depart Hilton

9:20 a.m. depart Marriott

9:30 a.m. depart Hotel Captain Cook

10:00 a.m. depart International airport

• Like 1

We are booked on Celebrity Millennium, part of Royal Carribbean International, on Friday, July 15.

We have reserved Comfort Suites, Ship Creek which is near the train station and museum. ACT lists that hotel as a pickup location as well.

Edited by Glendakayself
  • Like 1

ACT has a Special right now.  Book before Oct.1 to save for next year and they won't charge until later.  I just booked for 3 of us ANC to seward for May 23 for $45 each seems like a really good price.  Got my confirmation email and # and says need to pay 30 days before departure

14 hours ago, cruisingrandy said:

ACT has a Special right now. Book before Oct.1 to save for next year and they won't charge until later. I just booked for 3 of us ANC to seward for May 23 for $45 each seems like a really good price.

The company has "specials" every year for booking by October 1 . . . they're always threatening to raise their fares after October 1 each year. For transportation in Alaska, the $45 fare is not bad, and probably the best that can be had. But generally, it is a high fare. The distance between Anchorage and Seward is 125 miles. That distance is virtually identical to the distance between New York and Atlantic City, where a bus ticket purchased from OurBus is about $20. The distance is about the same between New York and Hartford, where a ticket purchased from Greyhound Lines is about $23. Even a mileage ticket--the most expensive fare available--is only $39 for a 125-mile trip. So the $45 for the journey between Anchorage and Seward is about twice what it ought to be (especially so since the bus will likely be fairly full), but costs are generally greater in Alaska compared to the lower 48 (including the fact that their equipment remains idle for half the year), and plus they're able to get away with cruise vacationer pricing. So a good price that will likely beat what many others will be paying, but certainly not a steal for its inherent value.

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2021 at 11:21 AM, Glendakayself said:

@GTJ and @quack2

Thank you both for your suggestions. We were planning on taking the 2 PM or 3 PM bus, so we need to be patient and wait for the 2022 schedules to be firmed up and hope that cruising resumes from Seward next year. After we arrive in Seward, we wanted to go to Exit Glacier and book the 8-hour Kenai cruise/tour for the next day. 

If we did take the train and could not check into our hotel until later in the day, is there luggage storeage at the train depot? I know most hotels will store luggage as well, just trying to think through my options.

I have always taken the train from Anchorage to Seward.  A nice relaxing trip. 

Most trips I have stayed at this hotel in Seward: https://www.hotelsewardalaska.com/ 

They are family owned and have always been very gracious (and picking us up at the train depot!) and allowed an early check in. They also drove us to the port on embarkation day.  

One time (our first visit) we did stay at a B&B and we did the early checkin as well. 

Hotel Seward is a historic gem riddled with genuine hospitality. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Boo's Mom said:

I have always taken the train from Anchorage to Seward.  A nice relaxing trip. 

Most trips I have stayed at this hotel in Seward: https://www.hotelsewardalaska.com/ 

They are family owned and have always been very gracious (and picking us up at the train depot!) and allowed an early check in. They also drove us to the port on embarkation day.  

One time (our first visit) we did stay at a B&B and we did the early checkin as well. 

Hotel Seward is a historic gem riddled with genuine hospitality. 

They have very reasonable rates for July. We have booked Best Western Edgewater for a bit more, but it does include breakfast and is a shorter walk to the Sealife Center. BW also appears to be on the free city shuttle route. We are not early risers, and the train leaves way too early for us. ACT is scheduled to pick us up between 9 and 10 AM from our Anchorage hotel, giving us time for breakfast before pickup. We plan to grab lunch near the bus depot and catch a fee-based shuttle to Exit Glacier. The shuttle company will store luggage, but we might try for early check-in. We want to take the full-day Kenai  Fjords cruise the next morning and visit the aquarium on our second morning before taking the free shuttle to the ship. However, we know we need to be flexible. Who knows what next summer will bring? Praying for a healthier world.

• Like 2

On 10/28/2021 at 11:47 AM, Glendakayself said:

They have very reasonable rates for July. We have booked Best Western Edgewater for a bit more, but it does include breakfast and is a shorter walk to the Sealife Center. BW also appears to be on the free city shuttle route. We are not early risers, and the train leaves way too early for us. ACT is scheduled to pick us up between 9 and 10 AM from our Anchorage hotel, giving us time for breakfast before pickup. We plan to grab lunch near the bus depot and catch a fee-based shuttle to Exit Glacier. The shuttle company will store luggage, but we might try for early check-in. We want to take the full-day Kenai  Fjords cruise the next morning and visit the aquarium on our second morning before taking the free shuttle to the ship. However, we know we need to be flexible. Who knows what next summer will bring? Praying for a healthier world.

We stayed at the Best Western Edgewater last summer.  It is right across the street from the Hotel Seward.  It was ok.  The ladies at the front desk were very nice.  It is an ok older hotel in need of a renovation and the breakfast is nothing to write home about..  If I went back to Seward, I might try the Hotel Seward.  For the Kenai Fjords Tour, they have specials around Black Friday.  We saved a substantial sum by booking then.  Kenai Fjords Tours had a shuttle bus, that picked us up and brought us to the pier.

Edited by Crazy planning mom
  • Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 1:44 PM, Crazy planning mom said:

We stayed at the Best Western Edgewater last summer.  It is right across the street from the Hotel Seward.  It was ok.  The ladies at the front desk were very nice.  It is an ok older hotel in need of a renovation and the breakfast is nothing to write home about..  If I went back to Seward, I might try the Hotel Seward.  For the Kenai Fjords Tour, they have specials around Black Friday.  We saved a substantial sum by booking then.  Kenai Fjords Tours had a shuttle bus, that picked us up and brought us to the pier.

Thanks for replying. We are not looking for a special breakfast, just the usual buffet items. We neevrat much for breakfast unless it is brunch. Which company did you use for your Kenai Fjords Tour?

From the maps that I found on-line, Hotel Seward looks to be 3 or 4 blocks away from Best Western Edgewater. Hubby has difficulty walking and tires easily. I am packing a lot into our 3 day stay.

Edited by Glendakayself

12 hours ago, Glendakayself said:

Thanks for replying. We are not looking for a special breakfast, just the usual buffet items. We neevrat much for breakfast unless it is brunch. Which company did you use for your Kenai Fjords Tour?

From the maps that I found on-line, Hotel Seward looks to be 3 or 4 blocks away from Best Western Edgewater. Hubby has difficulty walking and tires easily. I am packing a lot into our 3 day stay.

Hotel Seward wasn't 3-4 blocks away but you need to do what's best for your needs.  We used Kenai Fjords Tours.  Major Marine also gets good reviews.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Hotel Seward wasn't 3-4 blocks away but you need to do what's best for your needs.  We used Kenai Fjords Tours.  Major Marine also gets good reviews.

Thanks for your reply. I was leaning toward the Kenai Fjords Tours. I have not been on their website in a .few months, but they offered an 8 hour tour with lunch and dinner the last time I checked. I will check their site for sales around Black Friday as you advised. Thanks again.

On 11/8/2021 at 5:14 AM, Glendakayself said:

Seward is a coastal community where Alaskans go for recreation, and we have been there a number of times.  

While we have stayed at the Best Western Edgewater we much prefer the Harbor 360.  And our favorite company for boat excursions is not Kenai Fjords Tours; our favorite is Major Marine.  Major Marine has a NPS naturalist on board and their sound system is excellent.  Major Marine also assigns you a table which becomes your territory for the day -- you are not "glued" to that table and it is best to move around the vessel.  But "your" table is your space to leave a backpack, jacket or whatever.  The owners of Major Marine purchased the Harbor 360 a number of years ago, and in the Harbor 360 large lobby is now where folks check in for their excursions.   So we often will check in before breakfast, after breakfast return to our room to pick up our belongings for the day.  The Harbor 360 is located adjacent to the small boat harbor, so it is just down a ramp to the boarding docks.  If your husband has difficulty walking this might be a consideration.  Also, Major Marine offers some packages combining hotel room and boat excursion.  In the past they have offered some great sales around Thanksgiving.

The Hotel Seward is composed of two wings.  The oldest part of the hotel does not have an elevator, and a number of the rooms in the old part have shared bathroom facilities.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2021 at 7:41 PM, Northern Aurora said:

Seward is a coastal community where Alaskans go for recreation, and we have been there a number of times.  

While we have stayed at the Best Western Edgewater we much prefer the Harbor 360.  And our favorite company for boat excursions is not Kenai Fjords Tours; our favorite is Major Marine.  Major Marine has a NPS naturalist on board and their sound system is excellent.  Major Marine also assigns you a table which becomes your territory for the day -- you are not "glued" to that table and it is best to move around the vessel.  But "your" table is your space to leave a backpack, jacket or whatever.  The owners of Major Marine purchased the Harbor 360 a number of years ago, and in the Harbor 360 large lobby is now where folks check in for their excursions.   So we often will check in before breakfast, after breakfast return to our room to pick up our belongings for the day.  The Harbor 360 is located adjacent to the small boat harbor, so it is just down a ramp to the boarding docks.  If your husband has difficulty walking this might be a consideration.  Also, Major Marine offers some packages combining hotel room and boat excursion.  In the past they have offered some great sales around Thanksgiving.

The Hotel Seward is composed of two wings.  The oldest part of the hotel does not have an elevator, and a number of the rooms in the old part have shared bathroom facilities.  

We are cruising on NCL on may 23 and arriving in ANC 4 days early.  Is it better to book the Major Marine tour the day before the cruise or is it OK to do it same day as cruise departs?   They have their 40% Cyber Monday sale going on now

On 11/9/2021 at 7:41 PM, Northern Aurora said:

Is it ok to do the Major Marine tour same day as your cruise departs or should you do it the day before?

4 hours ago, cruisingrandy said:

Is it ok to do the Major Marine tour same day as your cruise departs or should you do it the day before?

The answer depends on what time your Major Marine tour ends and what time your ship departs.  

If you look at a map of Seward you will find that Major Marine is one one side of the small boat harbor and the cruise terminal on the other.  Our preferred hotel is the Harbor 360 (the check in counter for Major Marine is located in this hotel), and you can see the cruise ship terminal from the hotel.  So fun to wake up and see your ship from the hotel room.

• 1 month later...

@JayFankWe are staying at the Comfort In Ship Creek. They have an airport shuttle which will drop you downtown, but it is supposed to be walkable. The train station is 0.2 miles from the depot. We are flying in late and plan to use the airport shuttle to the hotel. We have reservations with A.C.T. (Alaska Cruise Transportation) Big Bus to pick us up at the hotel the next morning between 9 and 10 AM and transfer us to Seward. We booked the hotel thinking we might use the train, but the convenience of hotel pick-up plus a choice of a later morning or afternoon pick-up sealed the deal for us. The bus will drop us at the Seward station where we can take a free shuttle to our hotel or hire an inexpensive shuttle service to hold our luggage (free service according to web site) and take us to Exit Glacier. 

I could not find much about the hotel shuttle service on their web site when I did a quick scan this morning, but I did find a review in which the writer said they used the hotel shuttle to transfer to the train station. I also read in the reviews about a lovely park and trails behind the hotel. You could certainly call the hotel and ask about shuttles at 1- 907-277-6887.  A computer search will show you many hotels in the area. Some are more upscale, but we will only be there to sleep, eat the included breakfast, and board the bus to Seward the next morning. We have stayed at the Sheraton and walked all over the downtown area. Good luck with your research!

• Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 12:10 PM, JayFank said:

Can anyone provide me with hotels in Anchorage which provide shuttle service to downtown to restaurants, etc., as well as the train station?

I'm not aware of hotels that offer shuttles to downtown. Usually it's just the airport and the train depot. You could just stay downtown. The Hilton, Marriott and Captain Cook are all nice. We usually stay at the Clarion Suites downtown.