What are Must See’s/Must Do’s in Bermuda?

PittsburghNative

• 2 months later...
On 10/3/2021 at 8:36 AM, philpcruiser said:

We're booked to cruise to Bermuda next July ('22).  We're hoping everything is back to normal by then (transportation-wise).  We'd like to spend a decent amount of time in/around St. George, so are thinking of taking the ferry from the dockyard and returning by taxi.  Are there enough taxi's in St. George as not to worry about getting back?  Should we also consider a bus back? The ferry back does not seem to run often enough.  Thoughts?

We're also booked to Bermuda in July '22 (on the Joy).  This will be my 4th visit to Bermuda and 3rd cruise there.  We like to go to St. George's and spend the day and have dinner there...getting a taxi after 5:00 ish I think is difficult at least for our group of 6.  it's a small town that pretty much shuts down other than a couple of restaurants.  The Wahoo restaurant manager managed to get a taxi for us each time but he had to do it through someone he knew, not just by calling a service.  It's a long trip to Royal dockyard and back for the driver so I think they're not all anxious to do it.  We've waited more than an hour for one.  Not a big deal but at 9:00p.m. after a long day and a good meal I'm ready to get back to the ship.  The trip back is about 50 minutes if I remember right and over $100 for our group.   

11 hours ago, TenForward said:

We're also booked to Bermuda in July '22 (on the Joy).  This will be my 4th visit to Bermuda and 3rd cruise there.  We like to go to St. George's and spend the day and have dinner there...getting a taxi after 5:00 ish I think is difficult at least for our group of 6.  it's a small town that pretty much shuts down other than a couple of restaurants.  The Wahoo restaurant manager managed to get a taxi for us each time but he had to do it through someone he knew, not just by calling a service.  It's a long trip to Royal dockyard and back for the driver so I think they're not all anxious to do it.  We've waited more than an hour for one.  Not a big deal but at 9:00p.m. after a long day and a good meal I'm ready to get back to the ship.  The trip back is about 50 minutes if I remember right and over $100 for our group.   

Doesn't NCL run a complimentary ferry to St. George?  If so, how many runs does it make per day?  Unfortunately, we are on the Summit and X doesn't provide a free ride.  

2 hours ago, philpcruiser said:

Doesn't NCL run a complimentary ferry to St. George?  If so, how many runs does it make per day?  Unfortunately, we are on the Summit and X doesn't provide a free ride.  

The indications from research done by CC member njhorseman are  that the NCL ferry is no longer in Bermuda and may have been sold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, philpcruiser said:

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

The indications from research done by CC member njhorseman are  that the NCL ferry is no longer in Bermuda and may have been sold.

There's another twist to this tale. Per marinetraffic.com the ferry departed Fall River on December 9 and arrived in St. George on December 11. I'm not sure what to believe at this point.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:5511251/mmsi:311000792/imo:0/vessel:SPIRIT_OF_ST__GEORGE

Edited by njhorseman

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

There's another twist to this tale. Per marinetraffic.com the ferry departed Fall River on December 9 and arrived in St. George on December 11. I'm not sure what to believe at this point.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:5511251/mmsi:311000792/imo:0/vessel:SPIRIT_OF_ST__GEORGE

I wonder about the accuracy of marinetraffic.  I was keeping an eye on the Oasis heading to cape liberty earlier this year.  Marinetraffic listed her as heading to Bayonne, France!

Just now, philpcruiser said:

I wonder about the accuracy of marinetraffic.  I was keeping an eye on the Oasis heading to cape liberty earlier this year.  Marinetraffic listed her as heading to Bayonne, France!

I believe the destination is a manual input into the transponder by someone on the ship responsible for navigation so that was likely not a problem with the website but rather a coding issue on the ship. However when a ship's position is reported by a station on land or by a satellite that is from a signal generated by the transponder and should be correct.

6 hours ago, philpcruiser said:

They did in 2019 although the last one back to the dockyard was around 4:00 p.m.   I'm hoping the ferry is on loan (do they do that?) and will be back once things pick up again with cruising.  

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Hmm. Perhaps it was there undergoing repairs.

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Or since there was no usual cruise ship season this summer at the Dockyard they might have leased it out . 

I think I had speculated that was a possibility when her transceiver signal was picked up in European waters earlier this year. If I didn't actually write that I know I at least thought about that possibility.

On 12/13/2021 at 10:14 PM, TenForward said:

We like to go to St. George's and spend the day and have dinner there...getting a taxi after 5:00 ish I think is difficult at least for our group of 6.  it's a small town that pretty much shuts down other than a couple of restaurants.

Taxis are doable in St George even at/after the dinner hour. A few usually hang out near the main square near Water St (not far from Wahoos that you mentioned). I would imagine there are a few more taxis in St Georges these days with the new St Regis resort open nearby than there had been in the past. 

If worse comes to worse you can use an app called Hitch which calls you a taxi much like Uber or Lyft does in the US and you can select a larger one for up to 7 passengers. There's a small fee they collect for using it but it sure beats calling or having someone else call one for you in a pinch and everything gets billed to your credit card. Also works well for any other place on the island that taxis aren't readily available. 

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, R & R Carroll said:

Would you please be so kind to share the name and contact information for your tour guide? 

Sorry - too long ago, I do not recall, and I can't find info in old emails.

BUT - she works in the Art Gallery that is right at the pier - so you might be able to find her there.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/17/2021 at 1:46 PM, PittsburghNative said:

Cruise is a little over a month away and I was curious if there are things that cannot be missed, such as restaurants, stores, and sightseeing/activities.

I have looked on TripAdvisor, but I would appreciate some input from CC.

Thanks in advance!

For partial day we walked over to snorkel park beach, like $5.00 to get in, snorkeling from shore. At night sometimes a party there with dj and dancing, tons of young people. Long day ferry to other side and walk over hill, stopping at Bermuda perfume factory, onto tobacco bay beach for excellent snorkeling from shore. 3 rd day bus to horse shoe beach or elbow beach. Love Bermuda. Beautiful beaches!