Reluctant to book a cruise because of false positive results.

norn iron

I would appreciate any thoughts and opinions to help make a potential cruise a reality.

Like everyone else we would love to get away on a cruise as soon a possible, however, I may have stumbled on a reason not to book.

Virtually all cruise line including AZ require a PCR  test prior to boarding, which makes perfect sense.

Last Monday I tested positive for Covid, and thankfully the symptoms were extremely mild and within 48 hours I felt fine. I am isolating until the middle of next week as per the guidelines.

I then look to make a booking for November, and at the same time start reading the guidelines which inform me that I should not complete a PCR test within the next 90 days. The likelihood is a false positive which means being denied boarding.

I appreciate cruise with confidence is still in operation, however, I don't want to go through the motions of making a booking to be denied travel in the hours before boarding.

Can anyone ease the pain! 

The rapid antigen test should take care of that. If you are cured, and you should be, you will test negative with antigen after about 1 week. And I believe that test, in say a week, would be considered proof of cure several weeks downstream. The fine print is available on the airline web sites and buried somewhere in the Azamara info.

Edited by Dr H

11 minutes ago, Dr H said:

The rapid antigen test should take care of that. If you are cured, and you should be, you will test negative with antigen after about 1 week. And I believe that test, in say a week, would be considered proof of cure several weeks downstream. The fine print is available on the airline web sites and buried somewhere in the Azamara info.

Dr H, thanks for your prompt response, hopefully we will be be able to join you on Quest Nov 4.

I do have an antibody test lined up up in the next few weeks.

There may be some confusion between US and UK definitions, in the UK a rapid antigen test is deemed a lateral flow test,  yet AZ require a PCR.

The UK Government websites clearly state not to complete a PCR test within 90 days of being tested positive.

Is this new or country specific the need for a PCR test. Just disembarking today and both the boarding test in the terminal and the end of cruise were antigen. There have been no positive tests at either boarding or disembarkation since they restarted so they don’t seem to get false positives. Hope that you fully recover very soon and can look forward to your return to sailing again. 

4 hours ago, uktog said:

Is this new or country specific the need for a PCR test. Just disembarking today and both the boarding test in the terminal and the end of cruise were antigen. There have been no positive tests at either boarding or disembarkation since they restarted so they don’t seem to get false positives. Hope that you fully recover very soon and can look forward to your return to sailing again. 

The advice re the PCR test came from our TA who was quoting the AZ website. Whilst I appreciate the guidance is for Greece and we were looking at Spain, the TA was insisting we prepare ourselves for the PCR tests irrespective.

Are the cruise lines and TA's confused between the Lateral flow and PCR tests?

The advice re not doing the PCR within 90 days post infection was on the NI direct government website.

Recovery has been fine, as symptoms were very mild.

• PCR Test Result
    Travelers must provide evidence of a negative result from a PCR test for SARS-CoV-2 that has been conducted within the 72 hours period before your arrival time in Greece. Proof of a negative test is not required however for all travelers that have completed their vaccination(i.e., 14 days have elapsed since the last vaccination, depending on the doses required) and hold a vaccination certificate.

Yes the website is badly worded. The PCR test is only if you are not vaccinated. It’s actually RC group wording. Azamara don’t take unvaccinated guests so the whole section on PCR could be removed. The second sentence only applies to you. It’s simple antigen for your cruise 

• Like 2

David, I'm on the 4th November cruise and not getting any tests done prior. My understanding (for the moment at least) is that being double jabbed is sufficient for Spain. Same for getting on the ship and they'll do the quick test at the terminal before you board. 

Hope you see you onboard! 

Phil 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, uktog said:

Yes the website is badly worded. The PCR test is only if you are not vaccinated. It’s actually RC group wording. Azamara don’t take unvaccinated guests so the whole section on PCR could be removed. The second sentence only applies to you. It’s simple antigen for your cruise 

Thanks Ann. Its always great how CC contributors can always enlighten and share knowledge when the professionals of the industry have their heads stuck somewhere else!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

David, I'm on the 4th November cruise and not getting any tests done prior. My understanding (for the moment at least) is that being double jabbed is sufficient for Spain. Same for getting on the ship and they'll do the quick test at the terminal before you board. 

Phil 

Thanks Phil, fingers crossed we'll see you on board, I've just got to get my finger out and get it booked now.

One of the stumbling blocks may have been (and I'm making excuses for the TA) is we will most likely be making both out bound and homeward flights via Dublin which add an extra dimension to the required legislation.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, norn iron said:

Thanks Phil, fingers crossed we'll see you on board, I've just got to get my finger out and get it booked now.

One of the stumbling blocks may have been (and I'm making excuses for the TA) is we will most likely be making both out bound and homeward flights via Dublin which add an extra dimension to the required legislation.

Boy, yes. That does add an extra dimension. It's so complex. Let's hope Eire follows England's latest travel update. My experience with a friend who lives in Dublin is that we have remained closely aligned, getting ahead or catching up during Covid.  Then of course your own Northern Ireland Assembly to follow England's decision too. It does seem to be going in the right direction. 🤞

Phil 

• Like 2

The UK does, until 4 October, encourage a PCR test when returning from Spain due to their high number of cases (somewhat hypocritically). But they will accept an antigen/lateral flow test all the same. 

But all of the pre-ship and terminal testing was antigen/lateral flow for Azamara. MSC have just switched to PCR. 

• Like 1

Phil, I'm getting tested just to get on the plane out of the US, into Paris and onto Rome. So far, we haven't had covid, a few other nasty pediatric diseases, but no covid. In the highly unlikely event I tested positive, I would repeat an antigen test to prove I'm/we are negative for real. I'm a physician, internal medicine, and let me tell you, the wording of these requirements are absolutely impossible to decipher. 

On 9/18/2021 at 11:54 AM, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil 

Phil, I  spoke to a friend yesterday who is just back home from a golfing trip in Spain. He flew out of Dublin  airport and confirmed to me that you have to scan your PCR test to get access to departures at Dublin airport. That may of course change.
I then phoned Randox who confirmed it was not recommended to get a PCR with 90 days of having Covid, but of course they will take my money and offer me a PCR.

A leading NI travel agent was on local  BBC news last highlighting the travel issues we have, UK legislation, local NI Assembly legislation and then if flying out of Dublin, Irish legislation. Her point was that her staff could not keep up with the changes and knowledge required.

Additionally, and I can't get this confirmed, but I believe the Spanish authorities are only allowing passengers ashore if they are on a ships tour. Except for Motril we have been at every port numerous times so exploration on foot was part of the temptation.

I was really looking forward to this cruise, especially the prospect of having a conversation with Dr H about paragraphs 🙈 😉 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It’s such a mess.

I suppose changing flights to go via the UK isn’t an option?

However just an interesting cautionary tale. We did our Quest flights via LHR.  Not to avoid tougher Scottish rules just for convenient flight times.  On return, we filled in the usual UK locator form.

We have both been contacted last night by NHS Scotland to highlight they noted we needed Day 2 tests and with a link to the Scottish government fixed (higher) price test booking site.  Clever, in very small print at the bottom it also said we could use a test from a provider on the  UK approved list.

We expect to continue to be on their radar and, should they contact us today we will happily forward to them the confirmations received that our tests have indeed arrived at the £43 BA discounted Randox laboratory.

So the devolved nations are now taking a much closer interest in those of us transiting elsewhere 🙂 

Hope you are able to get the trip should you still want it under the new conditions.

• Like 2

David, that's a shame and such a complex issue for you. I can totally understand your reservations and if you end up on a Spain intensive cruise unable to get off on your own then perhaps it's time to quit just now and wait a little while when things might change again. 

I'm happy with my decision to take the cruise. I've not been up the river in Seville. I was looking forward to getting off and wandering around like I did in Bordeaux. The spa's loss might be the shorex's gain, but I'm also happy to use the ship as my sea day in port. I'm now glad I upgraded my cabin so I can hang out in a suite if I need to. 

Hopefully we will get the chance to meet up, if not on this cruise then another 👍

Phil 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

David, that's a shame and such a complex issue for you. I can totally understand your reservations and if you end up on a Spain intensive cruise unable to get off on your own then perhaps it's time to quit just now and wait a little while when things might change again. 

I'm happy with my decision to take the cruise. I've not been up the river in Seville. I was looking forward to getting off and wandering around like I did in Bordeaux. The spa's loss might be the shorex's gain, but I'm also happy to use the ship as my sea day in port. I'm now glad I upgraded my cabin so I can hang out in a suite if I need to. 

Hopefully we will get the chance to meet up, if not on this cruise then another 👍

Phil 

I'm sure you will enjoy watching the navigation of certain parts of the journey up the river!

Hope restrictions may have changed by the time you arrive in Seville, as the ship will be in an excellent location for exploring the city on one's own. Fingers crossed for you!

Trish

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 9:27 AM, uktog said:

It’s such a mess.

I suppose changing flights to go via the UK isn’t an option?

Ann, you may have offered a glimmer of hope. I have been looking at flying Belfast-Luton-Barcelona on the 3rd and arriving a day early, so there is a possibility.

I would like to book this week, especially as AZ's cruise with confidence expires on the 30th.

On 9/18/2021 at 11:54 AM, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil 

Phil, are you absolutely sure no tests are required before flying UK-Barcelona?

What about the the return from Lisbon?

Edited by norn iron
add on

9 hours ago, norn iron said:

Ann, you may have offered a glimmer of hope. I have been looking at flying Belfast-Luton-Barcelona on the 3rd and arriving a day early, so there is a possibility.

I would like to book this week, especially as AZ's cruise with confidence expires on the 30th.

Hi David. I am wary to give advice on Covid travel to someone else, especially when their circumstances aren't the same as mine (I've not had Covid and had a negative test result a couple of weeks ago as part of a government/Mori survey I took part in). From my own perspective, my understanding of flying into Spain is that proof of double vaccination is sufficient. No Covid test required.

Portugal has been less straightforward as I understand you need a test even if you've been double jabbed here, but have a read of this link:

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/portugal-now-recognises-vaccination-recovery-certificates-issued-by-third-countries/

The word is the UK is ready to join the EU Digital Certificate for Covid very soon and this would simplify things. And Portugal is easing it's restrictions with near 85% of the country vaccinated.  I feel confident that it will be much more straightforward come cruise time.  But obviously you have to be sure from your own research. 

If you make it I might very well see you on the flight from Luton to Barcelona if you are on the orange plane!

Phil 

Although they do advise not having a PCR test within 90 days that is a very cautious estimate. A friend of mine was taking his daughter on a Disney cruise when she tested positive for Covid. Three weeks later they tried again and the PCR test was negative - well within the 90 days. She was able to board without issue, even with additional pre-boarding (PCR) and terminal testing (lateral flow) by Disney.

It depends on whether you're willing to pay for one or more extra PCR tests to check if they pick anything up. Wouldn't blame you if not, but would also recommend you consider 90 days the absolute maximum you have to wait, not a minimum. 

12 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Hi David. I am wary to give advice on Covid travel to someone else, especially when their circumstances aren't the same as mine (I've not had Covid and had a negative test result a couple of weeks ago as part of a government/Mori survey I took part in). From my own perspective, my understanding of flying into Spain is that proof of double vaccination is sufficient. No Covid test required.

Portugal has been less straightforward as I understand you need a test even if you've been double jabbed here, but have a read of this link:

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/portugal-now-recognises-vaccination-recovery-certificates-issued-by-third-countries/

The word is the UK is ready to join the EU Digital Certificate for Covid very soon and this would simplify things. And Portugal is easing it's restrictions with near 85% of the country vaccinated.  I feel confident that it will be much more straightforward come cruise time.  But obviously you have to be sure from your own research. 

If you make it I might very well see you on the flight from Luton to Barcelona if you are on the orange plane!

Phil 

Phil, thanks for the advice and guidance, hopefully we will get it booked tomorrow. We will probably wait a couple of weeks before booking return flights to see how the situation out of Portugal develops.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 11:20 PM, norn iron said:

Excuse me for jumping in here (as obviously I'm not Phil 😄) but just to confirm that currently no tests are required to enter Spain (our son just returned from there a couple of days ago). For return from Lisbon (or anywhere else not on the UK red list) the current requirements are those laid down by the NHS and current requirement is a Lateral Flow test within 72 hours of flying and a PCR test on or before Day 2. We returned from Portugal last week. However, from 4th October there will be no requirement for a pre-flight test just for a day 2 test. The current advice is that from the end of October (no actual date yet given) the day 2 test will only need to be a Lateral Flow test.

Obviously, as is the way with our Government, this could all change again in a couple of weeks!!

• Like 1

I'm delighted David you have booked - maybe I should be mischievous and move your thoughts from covid tests back to that most important dilemma - should I take some tonic onboard.

Tonight I have made the most delightful discovery, my monthly craft gin club box that arrived this afternoon contains Micil Irish Gin (a new one on me and I love it)and some superb tonic -Troughtons made with Armagh water.  Maybe you should encourage Azamara to subscribe to such craft delights by smuggling some onboard.  Meanwhile I have already ticked the send extra this month box 🙂 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, uktog said:

I'm delighted David you have booked - maybe I should be mischievous and move your thoughts from covid tests back to that most important dilemma - should I take some tonic onboard.

Tonight I have made the most delightful discovery, my monthly craft gin club box that arrived this afternoon contains Micil Irish Gin (a new one on me and I love it)and some superb tonic -Troughtons made with Armagh water.  Maybe you should encourage Azamara to subscribe to such craft delights by smuggling some onboard.  Meanwhile I have already ticked the send extra this month box 🙂 

Looks like we'll have to do a bit of shopping in Barcelona for Fever Tree or Schweppes. Maybe some of the B2B's from the earlier cruise can keep CC informed of any last minute improvements to the tonic water situation.

The Craft Gin club is excellent, although we will miss this one as we are on the alternative month. My sister is expecting a delivery this month, and I've just checked and theirs hasn't arrived yet, so my lips are sealed.

I have seen Troughton's tonic water for sale locally, so you have convinced me to give it a go.
Last months bottle, Cotton Garden from Yorkshire was excellent.

The Irish Gin market is burgeoning, my youngest niece completed a Masters at Strathclyde in May and her dissertation was the Irish export gin opportunity,  278 pages later she tells me there are now over 90 Irish craft gins!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, norn iron said:

Looks like we'll have to do a bit of shopping in Barcelona for Fever Tree or Schweppes. Maybe some of the B2B's from the earlier cruise can keep CC informed of any last minute improvements to the tonic water situation.

The Craft Gin club is excellent, although we will miss this one as we are on the alternative month. My sister is expecting a delivery this month, and I've just checked and theirs hasn't arrived yet, so my lips are sealed.

I have seen Troughton's tonic water for sale locally, so you have convinced me to give it a go.
Last months bottle, Cotton Garden from Yorkshire was excellent.

The Irish Gin market is burgeoning, my youngest niece completed a Masters at Strathclyde in May and her dissertation was the Irish export gin opportunity,  278 pages later she tells me there are now over 90 Irish craft gins!

How funny, we are on alternate months too - so we cover the year between us 🙂  I hope your sister enjoys her box as much as I am tonight.  The trouble with these boxes, they focus your tastes on smooth tonics....... and then you get hit by a Club.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1