Has Celebrity Deliberately Killed off Captain’s Club?

Definitas

Two things we never attend now are the Elite breakfast and HH. Totally something that no longer is a perk. Last week due to so few passengers we ate breakfast in the OVC then walked directly off. So, no need for Debarkation lounge, either. 

I'm sure others think different.  That's what makes us cruise other lines, too.

• Thanks 1

Well, for us, just as long as we are aboard an X ship we are good...

Long way from E and E+, then again it does not matter to us since airlines went down hill in terms of Loyalty Points and etc... what is wrong with the cruise lines following suite... LOL

In all honesty, I was upset with the airlines for devaluing their programs, yet still enjoy flying when going either business or FC even though the service is greatly diminished over the last 30+ years, none the less.

Yes, I Am sure that X's product has changed and diminished for many long time passengers along with the programs and etc...

I view it as a new age of travel where if we want to have the 'new' privileges of travel, we need to change how we do it and not expect the basic market to not change because we remember how it was way back when... LOL of course I do not, to be sure.

I understand how one can be disgruntled over the changes we have long loved and cherished and to have them yanked away over time is never a good feeling, but we need to get used to changes and move forward with or without them....

For those who are or have thought about defecting to other lines for value, itineraries, food etc... who can blame you? It is your vacation and money to do as you perceive is in your best interest... I fully support you on these points and more.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 4

@Bo1953

I knew the downhill slide had begun in earnest when United pulled the community box of Godiva chocolates from business class on international flights.  I remember working down a full bottle of Dom P with a seat mate in first on the way back from Asia.  Thems was the days (sigh).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Well, for us, just as long as we are aboard an X ship we are good...

Long way from E and E+, then again it does not matter to us since airlines went down hill in terms of Loyalty Points and etc... what is wrong with the cruise lines following suite... LOL

In all honesty, I was upset with the airlines for devaluing their programs, yet still enjoy flying when going either business or FC even though the service is greatly diminished over the last 30+ years, none the less.

Yes, I Am sure that X's product has changed and diminished for many long time passengers along with the programs and etc...

I view it as a new age of travel where if we want to have the 'new' privileges of travel, we need to change how we do it and not expect the basic market to not change because we remember how it was way back when... LOL of course I do not, to be sure.

I understand how one can be disgruntled over the changes we have long loved and cherished and to have them yanked away over time is never a good feeling, but we need to get used to changes and move forward with or without them....

For those who are or have thought about defecting to other lines for value, itineraries, food etc... who can blame you? It is your vacation and money to do as you perceive is in your best interest... I fully support you on these points and more.

bon voyage

I understand how one can be disgruntled over the changes.  OP is clearly very upset but this is disgruntled on steroids IMO.  The times they are a changin...

• Haha 1

I just made Zenith after last cruise points posted.  My first actual Zenith cruise is coming up.

The way benefits are listed now, Michaels/Retreat access is gone, not "on hold"  even though  a lot of places mentions "capacity controI"  I don't see that perk coming back TBH.  I talked to retreat concierge a lot about this on my last round of cruises last month.

If I book the lower no perks "Simply Sail" fares, I get only the surf wifi and classic drinks package - no longer the upgraded "Stream" and "premium" versions, which I can pay to upgrade to.

There are a lot of other odd things that have changed too.  But those are the seemingly random money grabs i have noticed that were most important to me.

So this leads me to believe yes things are eroding.  This now at least gives a chance to go to other lines and ask for reciprocal "top-tier" status ....

• Like 1

As seens as well in the airline industry, loyality programs are more about perks that are less focusing on money value. With cruiselines it's becoming the same, if you are looking for better amenities you need to pay for it by having a suite or you can purchase elements that are important to you seperately when cruising in categories below suite, such as upgraded internet, drinks etc.

9 hours ago, Oxo said:

I use the AI Internet for the entire 7 days on the Edge never logging out.

I read emails,  my news feeds, downloaded apk updates and never had a problem. I also sent videos and pics via Messenger that seemed very fast. Didn't use my Elite+ Internet minutes. 

I am guessing that perhaps Edge class has better internet abilities.  Just completed a cruise on Millennium with surf package.  Could browse the internet, but often could not open the web pages I was interested in.  Could see news headlines, but often could not open them and read the details.  Could not use wi-fi calling.  Could never send any videos, but I was able to send a couple pics using Messenger.  Could see my list of emails, but on occasion (not always) I could not open them.  Could not text (which I used to be able to do before they changed into two levels), although I could communicate via Messenger.  All in all, very frustrating.  We were in Alaska, so perhaps there was not as good reception there.  Will see how it goes on our upcoming Caribbean cruise in December.

Internet quality will never improve because of the bandwidth hogs.   Folks take cruises and spend their days streaming video (YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime or whatever).   Passengers actually used to be “present” on their cruises and were not tied to their phones or TVs.   Guess this is the new generation.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Definitas said:

The pleasure of getting together in the CC lounge

As far as DW and I are concerned, they can get rid of those "Captain's parties". Too crowded and the last few times the staff bragged about how much food they had and yet we didnt' get a single bite to eat. Noone came around to offer anything. What really gets me is how we wait in line and then right before the doors open a whole bunch of people come storming out of the elevator with their cocktails and simply butt in line. How rude!  I'd rather be out on the deck walking around in the peace and quiet!  The tiered system is fine and surely encourages people to keep cruising to move up to the next level, but I think I'm done with most of those CC events. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

Spif,

Never have I found a post on these threads that I disliked as much.  You didn't need to insult cruisers like me that point out X's lack of respect for its loyalty program.

Loyalty programs include perks for cruisers that come back to a cruise line.  The perks are modest incentives to encourage more loyalty.

I haven't found a Celebrity cruise that has a competitive price, since AI has largely wiped out our loyalty benefits.  I still check Celebrity against other lines, but book based on itinerary, value and price.

The loyalty benefits did tip the balance before when I would find cruises where Princess or HAL (never cruised on either) were about the same cost as X.  The loyalty benefits were the item that tipped the balance.  Also, I love cruising on X.  

No Celebrity doesn't owe me anything, but their pricing decisions don't demonstrate that they care whether I cruise with them or not.

I’m the one who should be insulted. After all, I wrote the worst, most disliked post in CC history, at least according to you. Also, probably made it to the top of a certain list we all have, or very close to it. I’m not insulted. You got rankled, ain’t no thang, you’ll get over it. Probably already did.

Our definitions of loyalty differ and our thoughts on the way it should be viewed and rewarded vary even more. You’re more of a tangible cruiser. You want the material things, to be offered like badges of honor for all to enjoy. Strictly measured monetarily and based on your accumulated expenditures over the years. There is nothing the matter with that. Shucks, if offered to me I’m definitely taking advantage.

Personally, I’m more of an intangible kind of guy. I want a consistently enjoyable overall product for my money. That’s all that Celebrity Cruise Lines owes me, and until I feel that is no longer the case, my money is on X.

Papa, you and “cruisers like me” (your words) have better things to feel than to feel insulted. If the occasional strong disagreement is not for you, there are measures you can take to voice your displeasure. I will feel no aspersion whatsoever.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/17/2021 at 7:55 PM, Spif Barwunkel said:

Too many folks feeling entitled and therefore incapable of a dignified retort. If the cruising cost included room and board only with everything else a la carte and no perks or rewards,  would you still be cruising today?

Some people on sites like this will pick a fight no matter the topic-- easy to tell who they are after a while.

Perks are mini " teasers " to make you feel important --- until you find out ( as we did ) that 90 % of the people on board are Elite or higher.  And, to think how much we paid over the years for that free bag of laundry and that ONE scoop of gelato ( LOL ).

Because we are non drinkers, don't really need the internet or a scoop of gelato we would prefer an a la carte pricing structure-- prior to 90 days of sailing when the selection of cabins is better.

We have been on many cruises with Celebrity-- never had a bad one--- great food, excellent service , clean ships, so my answer is yes.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

Spif,

Never have I found a post on these threads that I disliked as much.  You didn't need to insult cruisers like me that point out X's lack of respect for its loyalty program.

Loyalty programs include perks for cruisers that come back to a cruise line.  The perks are modest incentives to encourage more loyalty.

I haven't found a Celebrity cruise that has a competitive price, since AI has largely wiped out our loyalty benefits.  I still check Celebrity against other lines, but book based on itinerary, value and price.

The loyalty benefits did tip the balance before when I would find cruises where Princess or HAL (never cruised on either) were about the same cost as X.  The loyalty benefits were the item that tipped the balance.  Also, I love cruising on X.  

No Celebrity doesn't owe me anything, but their pricing decisions don't demonstrate that they care whether I cruise with them or not.

Wondering how it is insulting if a person posts something that differs from your opinion?  You are certainly entitled to yours, of course, if the loyalty "title" means that much to you and you feel you're not getting something in return for that loyalty, find another line where you will feel more respected and welcome.  Best of luck.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cle-guy said:

I just made Zenith after last cruise points posted.  My first actual Zenith cruise is coming up.

The way benefits are listed now, Michaels/Retreat access is gone, not "on hold"  even though  a lot of places mentions "capacity controI"  I don't see that perk coming back TBH.  I talked to retreat concierge a lot about this on my last round of cruises last month.

If I book the lower no perks "Simply Sail" fares, I get only the surf wifi and classic drinks package - no longer the upgraded "Stream" and "premium" versions, which I can pay to upgrade to.

There are a lot of other odd things that have changed too.  But those are the seemingly random money grabs i have noticed that were most important to me.

So this leads me to believe yes things are eroding.  This now at least gives a chance to go to other lines and ask for reciprocal "top-tier" status ....

Now that you are Zenith you get the steam internet and premium beverage package as Zenith perks. As Zenith the only extra thing included in AI are the gratuities. I was surprised that on the last cruise I booked an assigned cabin with AI was less expensive than a guarantee with Simply Sail when one added in the gratuities !!!

7 hours ago, cle-guy said:

Hey cle congrats on your achievement!!!

bon voyage

23 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Just curious, how many years and/or cruises sailing with Celebrity does it take on average to make Zenith? To accumulate 3000+ points, unless you consistently sail in Royal Suites or higher, that is quite a monumental task. If you sail exclusively in sky suites at 8 points per day, it would require 375 cruise days. If you sailed exclusively in concierge or aqua cabins, it would take 600 cruise days. Or was the climb to Zenith a little easier prior to Celebrity switching from cruise days to the variable points system based on category?

The climb to Zenith was MUCH easier for us under he old pre 2013 credit system. A 4/5 night Century cruise in Concierge received 2 credits. Were on sale for about $1000 total (2 passengers). Zenith was 100 credits. Cost about $25,000 per person to reach Zenith back then. Now Zenith is 3000 points. Best rate is about $100 per person per day for an inside cabin. So now it costs at least $150,000 to reach Zenith !!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Oxo said:

I use the AI Internet for the entire 7 days on the Edge never logging out.

I read emails,  my news feeds, downloaded apk updates and never had a problem. I also sent videos and pics via Messenger that seemed very fast. Didn't use my Elite+ Internet minutes. 

We had steaming internet last month on Equinox. First time I checked for app updates I needed 11 updates which took 45 minutes !!! Takes about 5 minutes at home !!! Just wait until the ships are full and bandwidth drops in half !!!

10 minutes ago, TommyD3 said:

The climb to Zenith was MUCH easier for us under he old pre 2013 credit system. A 4/5 night Century cruise in Concierge received 2 credits. Were on sale for about $1000 total (2 passengers). Zenith was 100 credits. Cost about $25,000 per person to reach Zenith back then. Now Zenith is 3000 points. Best rate is about $100 per person per day for an inside cabin. So now it costs at least $150,000 to reach Zenith !!!

Is Zenith the top level in Celebrity's loyalty program?  $150K to reach it, holy smokes!!  We only cruise 1x/year so obviously will never reach it, nor do we care to.  Do you feel like Celebrity is still handling their loyalty program for folks like you in a manner that seems fair?  Lots of folks on here do not, but sometimes they go off on tangents about it, so would be nice to hear from a calmer perspective like you.  Thx!

As a Platinum Castaway Club member on Disney Cruise Line,  you don't know how much better the Captains Club is compare to them. DCL just counts the number of cruises you've been on, a 3 night in an interior stateroom is the same value as staying in a Disney Royal Suite on a 14 night cruise for earning status. And then the benefits really basically suck big time. Reaching the top tier gets you the ability to book excursions 15 days before the next lower lever and a free dinner in the lower level specialty restaurant, and even then they recently changed the menu where you get only certain menu items that you're allowed to choose from for your free meal.