LIVE - Majestic Princess Alaska sailing on September 19, 2021 from Seattle

Purple Gallinule

Hi. My wife and I are thrilled to be sailing on the Majestic Princess starting Sunday, Sep 19th. Because of the pandemic, we had two cruises cancelled and really need to start travelling again. We live in Colorado Springs, CO and this will be our 12th cruise on Princess. We have also sailed on Holland and Celebrity, but Princess is our favorite.

We have been following the LIVE chats from the first few Majestic sailings and we are looking forward to getting on what will be a new ship for us. From the roll call thread, we see that there will be a CC meet & greet on Monday at 10:30am in the Hollywood Conservatory. 

The whole process of getting the COVID-19 test scheduled and taken has been very stressful - for many, not just us. We finally got our NEGATIVE results this morning from Walgreens and are looking forward to boarding our plane Saturday morning. We will be staying at the Airport Marriott and then getting Princess transfers to the ship. 

As for our CC user name... The Purple Gallinule is my favorite bird, and yes, we are birders. We hope to get some sea birds off our balcony, especially in Glacier Bay.

So, that is my intro. I will post when I can and answer questions when I am able. I am not new to cruising, but I am new to CC. By the way, I do know that my user name is misspelled, but I cannot figure out how to get the extra "L" into Gallinule.😉 I am also posting a photo of that wonderful bird. Hope you enjoy.

Purple Gallinule.jpg

Edited by Purple Galinule
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, DUCHESSRN said:

We are on board now , pack lots of layers. Glacier bay was magnificent and very cold.

Many Covid related changes but so good to sail again.

Did you get clear weather for Glacier Bay? It was very foggy when we were there on the 8/29 sailing.

2 hours ago, Purple Galinule said:

By the way, I do know that my user name is misspelled, but I cannot figure out how to get the extra "L" into Gallinule.

If you send a nice note to Cruise Critic help and explain your typo, they may well fix your Handle for you.  When I first joined CC, I am pretty sure I got setup as "steelers36".  After a while I wrote and asked them to fix my handle and they did.

PS - I looked up this unusual looking and colorful bird as I don't recall ever seeing one.  I see I am rarely in their habitat.  But do spend a lot of time in south Florida (relatively), so I will keep my eyes peeled this winter and see if I spot one in my travels.  (Not a birder but appreciate wildlife and there are a LOT of water birds in Florida!!).

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

Layers are the way to go. In our 4 Alaskan cruises; we wore shorts and T Shirts, jeans & down jacket with boots, and you get the idea. Thanks for sharing and have a great time! Right now, we are experiencing a crazy storm but I think it will be letting up for you. (we live about 150 miles southwest of Seattle on the coast).

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

If you send a nice note to Cruise Critic help and explain your typo, they may well fix your Handle for you.  When I first joined CC, I am pretty sure I got setup as "steelers36".  After a while I wrote and asked them to fix my handle and they did.

PS - I looked up this unusual looking and colorful bird as I don't recall ever seeing one.  I see I am rarely in their habitat.  But do spend a lot of time in south Florida (relatively), so I will keep my eyes peeled this winter and see if I spot one in my travels.  (Not a birder but appreciate wildlife and there are a LOT of water birds in Florida!!).

Thanks for the tip to get my handle fixed. A sure place to see the gallinule is on the Anhinga Trail at the Homestead entrance to Everglades National Park.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Purple Galinule said:

... By the way, I do know that my user name is misspelled, but I cannot figure out how to get the extra "L" into Gallinule.😉...

@Purple Galinule

Howdy! emo22.gif

See How to: Change your Cruise Critic Email Address or User Name on the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum.

Happy sails,

Host Kat  emo32.gif

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Purple Galinule said:

Hi. My wife and I are thrilled to be sailing on the Majestic Princess starting Sunday, Sep 19th. Because of the pandemic, we had two cruises cancelled and really need to start travelling again. We live in Colorado Springs, CO and this will be our 12th cruise on Princess. We have also sailed on Holland and Celebrity, but Princess is our favorite.

We have been following the LIVE chats from the first few Majestic sailings and we are looking forward to getting on what will be a new ship for us. From the roll call thread, we see that there will be a CC meet & greet on Monday at 10:30am in the Hollywood Conservatory. 

The whole process of getting the COVID-19 test scheduled and taken has been very stressful - for many, not just us. We finally got our NEGATIVE results this morning from Walgreens and are looking forward to boarding our plane Saturday morning. We will be staying at the Airport Marriott and then getting Princess transfers to the ship. 

As for our CC user name... The Purple Gallinule is my favorite bird, and yes, we are birders. We hope to get some sea birds off our balcony, especially in Glacier Bay.

So, that is my intro. I will post when I can and answer questions when I am able. I am not new to cruising, but I am new to CC. By the way, I do know that my user name is misspelled, but I cannot figure out how to get the extra "L" into Gallinule.😉 I am also posting a photo of that wonderful bird. Hope you enjoy.

Purple Gallinule.jpg

Wishing you a wonderful week aboard the beautiful Magestic.   I loved every minute of my sailing on 8/29.  
Thank you so much for doing a live from thread!

687F3558-17BE-422E-9C64-C81D757BCB63.jpeg

• Like 6

@Purple Galinulethanks again for staring thread. As I posted in our Roll Call, I'll be on this cruise also and will be happy to help with any questions also.

We came in to Seattle Thursday 9/16,3 days prior to cruise. After much stress of trying to find a test site. I ordered the BinexNow AG home test. I did in hotel, took less that 5 min wait time for initial call for both my mom and I separately. Had results emailed within 8m of eMed reading. So easy and simple. Any question on this, please don't hesitate to ask. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Purple Galinule said:

Purple Gallinule.jpg

We will b in Everett/Seattle  area in October visiting my sister after a week in Idaho visiting Glacier Natl Park. Hope to see lots of different birds.  Visiting Florida in Feb.  I will look for this bird when we r there.  Taking Majestic from LA Oct 30.  Can’t wait.  

12 hours ago, lovemy3boxers said:

@Purple Galinulethanks again for staring thread. As I posted in our Roll Call, I'll be on this cruise also and will be happy to help with any questions also.

We came in to Seattle Thursday 9/16,3 days prior to cruise. After much stress of trying to find a test site. I ordered the BinexNow AG home test. I did in hotel, took less that 5 min wait time for initial call for both my mom and I separately. Had results emailed within 8m of eMed reading. So easy and simple. Any question on this, please don't hesitate to ask. 

Were you able to take the test using a phone, or did you use a different device? Thanks, enjoy your cruise!

16 minutes ago, redrobin said:

Were you able to take the test using a phone, or did you use a different device? Thanks, enjoy your cruise!

Yes, I used my phone. As long as has a front and back camera. Also if someone can help you by holding phone or use a tripod. They want to see you open package and test card, hard to do with one hand, 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lovemy3boxers said:

Yes, I used my phone. As long as has a front and back camera. Also if someone can help you by holding phone or use a tripod. They want to see you open package and test card, hard to do with one hand, 

The wife and I took our tests yesterday as well for this cruise.  Used a tripod this time (rather than holding the phone for each other).  It was SO much easier with the tripod. 😁

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Purple Galinule said:

Purple Gallinule.jpg

@Purple Galinule I didn't think Gallinules' range extended to Colorado.  We sure don't see them in Olympia.

Just arrived at our downtown Seattle hotel for the evening. Barely drizzling right now. Smooth day of travel, and met @Purple Galinuleand his wife on our flight (great to meet you both, thanks for starting this live thread!). Cab from the airport to hotel was $47 plus tip. 

Going to relax a bit, walk to Pike Place Market later and grab some dinner, then make sure we’re all set for embarkation tomorrow. Going to bring the vax cards out tonight because it looks like a lot of downtown restaurants are requiring proof for entry (at least on their websites) FYI. 

Got a shuttle scheduled from the hotel for 10:30 tomorrow morning to arrive at the port around 10:45. $10pp. Our scheduled arrival time on the MC app is 11:30-11:45 (Group A) so we’ll see if we can get on early at all (very happy with 11:30-11:45 if not earlier!) 

Just double-checked our health status and doesn’t look like MC app is requiring any further action (from what I can tell), it just asks for an update if there are any changes to your health status. Thankfully both the wife and I still qualify for ‘healthy’ status 😊

• Like 3

We arrived in Seattle mid-afternoon today. Once we got our (very wet) luggage, we were off to our hotel for a nice meal and a good night's sleep. The Medallion app looks like we are good to go for Group A Green Lane. 

It has been nice to hear from some of the folks who were on earlier cruises. Their experiences on the CC Live threads are going to mean a lot to us as we set sail. Tomorrow looks like another rainy day, but it cannot dampen our spirits. It has been almost exactly two years since our RT San Francisco to Alaska cruise.

By the way, do not forget that tomorrow (9/19) is National Talk Like a Pirate Day! What a great day to get on the Majestic Princess. Arrrrgghh!!!!!!!!!!! ☠️ 🦜

• Like 15
  • Haha 1