Jump to content

LIVE - Majestic Princess Alaska sailing on September 19, 2021 from Seattle


Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, pspatti said:

I also wonder if there is any chance you will see the Northern Lights.  I know you will be fairly far south for that, but being this late in the year ...  maybe ???

 

They might be lucky enough to see them. We did once on a cruise to Alaska.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Monday was formal night and we had lots of activities to squeeze in after our afternoon siesta. We started with dinner in the Club Class dining room (part of the Concerto dining room). Jeanne had coconut shrimp and I had the beef tenderloin. At the end of the meal we were choosing our dessert when the wait staff came over and serenaded us with a mostly off-key very of "Happy Anniversary" (number 49, if we were counting.)

 

We followed dinner by dodging photographers to go to the evening production show (Encore). It was a fun show. Next it was off to Princess Live for the Yes/No game show. We enjoy this on every cruise, knowing I would never last one minute, let alone three.🙄

 

We ended the evening laughing a lot at the Kevin Jordan show in the Vista Lounge.

 

This morning it is dark and cloudy. The Juneau Harborcam shows low clouds and rain for our mid-day arrival. Well, that is what rain gear is for. Glad we brought it. Now it is off to the dining room for the James Beard French Toast. Yum!

 

I will post again either pre- or post-Juneau.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Purple Gallinule said:

Monday was formal night and we had lots of activities to squeeze in after our afternoon siesta. We started with dinner in the Club Class dining room (part of the Concerto dining room). Jeanne had coconut shrimp and I had the beef tenderloin. At the end of the meal we were choosing our dessert when the wait staff came over and serenaded us with a mostly off-key very of "Happy Anniversary" (number 49, if we were counting.)

 

We followed dinner by dodging photographers to go to the evening production show (Encore). It was a fun show. Next it was off to Princess Live for the Yes/No game show. We enjoy this on every cruise, knowing I would never last one minute, let alone three.🙄

 

We ended the evening laughing a lot at the Kevin Jordan show in the Vista Lounge.

 

This morning it is dark and cloudy. The Juneau Harborcam shows low clouds and rain for our mid-day arrival. Well, that is what rain gear is for. Glad we brought it. Now it is off to the dining room for the James Beard French Toast. Yum!

 

I will post again either pre- or post-Juneau.

Don of Don's Family Vacations didn't fair well, but he got even.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, pspatti said:

I love the picture of the hail.  I wonder if Princess will continue to sail in Alaska in late September?

I also wonder if there is any chance you will see the Northern Lights.  I know you will be fairly far south for that, but being this late in the year ...  maybe ???

 

I am going next week, and the forecast is for strong aurora on the night we are in Juneau.  Now, please don't rain!!!

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Irisagogo said:

I am going next week, and the forecast is for strong aurora on the night we are in Juneau.  Now, please don't rain!!!

Good luck with that aurora!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today was a typical day in Juneau. First rain. Then heavy rain. Then 32 seconds of clearing, followed by rain.

 

To be fair, we had a nice bus trip out to Mendenhall Glacier. Everyone on the bus was in great spirits and we even got a couple of bird species for our trip list. It wasn't until we were ready to leave the glacier parking lot that we discovered one person was not on board the bus. Everyone knew what time to be back and the driver was even nice enough to wait an extra 10 minutes for our no-show. When we returned to town, over half of the folks on the bus got off a few blocks from the ship, either to shop or eat or drink. The rest of us just wanted to get back to our dry cabins.

 

I will post a couple of pictures here, one being our ship arriving a little before noon on the harbor webcam. If you have not done so, you can find this live cam at JunearHarborWebcam.com 

 

We are off in a few minutes for the Crown Grill. We will let you know how that goes.

 

IMG_1178.JPG

IMG_1179.JPG

IMG_1182.JPG

IMG_1185.JPG

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On another note. Unlike one of the earlier Majestic cruises last month, all the men showed up for formal night last night in suits/blazers and even one tuxedo.

 

Tonight was our night in the Crown Grill and it was terrific. We both had the filet mignon and they were done just as we like them. No shorts, jeans, or spa wear in evidence. By the way, if you are too full for dessert you can have it delivered to your cabin. It took us about 20 minutes from order to arrival.

 

Man, are we ever having fun!!!

  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/20/2021 at 8:50 PM, pspatti said:

I love the picture of the hail.  I wonder if Princess will continue to sail in Alaska in late September?

I also wonder if there is any chance you will see the Northern Lights.  I know you will be fairly far south for that, but being this late in the year ...  maybe ???

 

There's always a small chance to see the Northern Lights in late September, but it's pretty unlikely.  In our 4 years living in Alaska we normally saw the Northern lights most often in December thru February.  It's all about the right conditions in the atmosphere...and of course the darkness.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, nini said:

We saw the Northern Lights on August 28, 2001. This was our very first Alaska cruise.

That's awesome you were able to see them then...very rare indeed...especially as you go more north.  Nothing like seeing them in mid January when the temps are 5 below zero and crystal clear skies except for the blue and purple and green lights dancing across the sky!  I have a pic from 1997 with Mt. McKinley, the Hale-bop comet and the Northern lights all in the same frame.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some folks posted some great pictures on FB of the northern lights from the ship last month.  As I recall the forecast was "active" and they lucked out with clear skies and of course the will to stay awake in the middle of the night to see them.  Looks like the forecast is moderate tonight and active tomorrow night according to https://www.gi.alaska.edu/monitors/aurora-forecast

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

That's awesome you were able to see them then...very rare indeed...especially as you go more north.  Nothing like seeing them in mid January when the temps are 5 below zero and crystal clear skies except for the blue and purple and green lights dancing across the sky!  I have a pic from 1997 with Mt. McKinley, the Hale-bop comet and the Northern lights all in the same frame.

What a fantastic shot!!! Alaska is so beautiful. (we have cruised there 4 times). LOL

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

I made mention on other Alaska thread, how much it appears Mendenhall glacier

has receeded.  Your pic above.... shocking to me.  Wonder what you thought?

I have some photos at home from two earlier cruises and I will compare the glacier in those with the new one when we get back next week.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We just stopped by Guest Services and they took our cabin number for a wake-up call if the Northern Lights are showing. We told them to call at any hour!! We would be so happy to see them. Our waiter this morning had photos on his phone from one of this year's sailings. They were spectacular.

 

Fingers crossed, everyone.

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Purple Gallinule said:

We just stopped by Guest Services and they took our cabin number for a wake-up call if the Northern Lights are showing. We told them to call at any hour!! We would be so happy to see them. Our waiter this morning had photos on his phone from one of this year's sailings. They were spectacular.

 

Fingers crossed, everyone.

Good Luck!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

Good Luck!!

 

49 minutes ago, Purple Gallinule said:

We just stopped by Guest Services and they took our cabin number for a wake-up call if the Northern Lights are showing. We told them to call at any hour!! We would be so happy to see them. Our waiter this morning had photos on his phone from one of this year's sailings. They were spectacular.

 

Fingers crossed, everyone.

I truly hope you get to see them.  I will stop at Guest Services for my next week's cruise.  Please let us know if you were lucky.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Purple Gallinule said:

By the way, if you are too full for dessert you can have it delivered to your cabin. It took us about 20 minutes from order to arrival.

 

That is really good to know!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...