Also staying optimistic, and now making more concrete plans and asking fun questions

guitarcrazy

Hello,

I started a thread back in February 2, 2020 with my concerns for an upcoming trip Feb 27, 2020 and whether I should cancel or not.  As medical professionals we decided to be prudent and cancel our trip (wah!).  We eventually booked a trip for October, 2021 figuring all would be well by then.  We've been biting our nails these last few weeks wondering if our cruise would happen.  It looks to us like it likely will, and we plan to be on our cruise and our concerns of Feb 2020 have dramatically abated.  In any case, and not to discuss virulence etc. now, but we don't have a great idea of what to expect in terms of activities offered by the boat.   We met some TA's on a Gallapagos cruise back in 2018 who had done PG cruises multiple times and waxed on how wonderful the cruises are, and what they specifically said, "the back of the boat opens up and there are a ton of different water toys you can use".  At the time they expounded on that, but don't remember what they meant.  So, here are my questions:

1) What does the ship supply for use?  rafts?  face masks/snorkels/shorty wet suits? other fun gear to use?

2)  Is it possible to snorkel without having to book excursions or rent a car?  Is there a way to snorkel near the ship, or are we anchored too far out and so not allowed?

3) Are there some "must do" activities on specific islands we should sign up and pay for?  Or must see things?

4) Are some private vendors way better than PG vendors and we should sign up with them ahead of time?

5) Are there some fabulous local restaurants we should try and skip the PG meal?

thanks for ANY help!  Trying not to get too excited 😄

Hard to answer as the protocols could change over the coming weeks ....

Plus we don't know which itinerary your taking  ...

Forget using the ship masks/snorkel/flippers until the covid protocols change. 

If you take any private excursion, go on your own or rent a car you currently are required to take covid test every 3 days  .... again hopefully that changes over the coming weeks/months

7 night Tahiti and Society Island cruise.   We are ex scuba divers so we always carry our own simple gear-and I see on the website that they do provide Kayaks and paddle boards-but I guess we use these only on Moto Mahana and their private Bora Bora beach?  

I didn’t know about the covid test every 3 days for private excursions,  I am very optimistic about our trip happening,  but I suspect this will still be in place for a while, which although understandable it is going to be a pain in the ***.  Anyway, any other thoughts/suggestions?  I have gone back quite a few pages here looking for information.

10 minutes ago, guitarcrazy said:

7 night Tahiti and Society Island cruise.   We are ex scuba divers so we always carry our own simple gear-and I see on the website that they do provide Kayaks and paddle boards-but I guess we use these only on Moto Mahana and their private Bora Bora beach?  

I didn’t know about the covid test every 3 days for private excursions,  I am very optimistic about our trip happening,  but I suspect this will still be in place for a while, which although understandable it is going to be a pain in the ***.  Anyway, any other thoughts/suggestions?  I have gone back quite a few pages here looking for information.

Do the drift snorkel on Tahaa/Motu Mahana. Something we put together: 

I believe you can paddle board on Moorea as well

On Bora Bora you need do to a Circumnavigate lagoon tour  ... either pure snorkeling or Patrick's  ... both ship excursions. Yes you will pay more but with the covid issue it is probably best. 

As your proficient in snorkeling there is some decent snorkeling on Motu Mahana ... see picture. At the reef opening ... stay close to the reef and sneak yourself to the 'bowl' ... bigger fish and other critters.

29b.JPG

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna