Paying for fake second 2nd guest to save $

spethstation

I am considering purchasing a short 3-4 day cruise to satisfy my travel bug, but circumstances would mean I'd have to travel solo. With Royal's current promo of 60% off the second guest, it's cheaper for me to pay for 2 people than pay for 1. Can I book a second guest as a 'fake guest' and then not have them come? Is that allowed? 🤔

15 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Yes, it is allowed but you shouldn't have to do that. Price the same room out for 1 and for 2 and you should still be able to catch the sale. You also wouldn't have to front the taxes and fees for the phantom passenger.

Weird, perhaps it was the sailing I was looking at, but one person was pricing higher than two...tried it for a different sailing and it is about $115 cheaper to price as one guest. Glad there are sales like this that benefit solo cruisers every now and then!

9 minutes ago, spethstation said:

Weird, perhaps it was the sailing I was looking at, but one person was pricing higher than two...tried it for a different sailing and it is about $115 cheaper to price as one guest. Glad there are sales like this that benefit solo cruisers every now and then!

The second thing you are seeing is typical behavior. Single cruiser should be the same price as 2 cruisers, minus taxes and fees for the second passenger. The one exception I've seen is if you are booking with a travel agent who has group space available; group space pricing is only valid for 2 people per cabin. 

The only issue that comes up with having a fake second passenger is if you want to buy the alcohol package, you have to get it for both passengers in the room (although you can avoid this by making the fake passenger a child). This would be refunded along with the taxes and fees after sailing, but still locks the money up in the cruise planner.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, spethstation said:

Weird, perhaps it was the sailing I was looking at, but one person was pricing higher than two..

Most of the time you can only book GTY rates for two people - that option may not come up when booking solo so it looks more expensive. In that case just put a second person and book GTY.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

The only issue that comes up with having a fake second passenger is if you want to buy the alcohol package, you have to get it for both passengers in the room (although you can avoid this by making the fake passenger a child). This would be refunded along with the taxes and fees after sailing, but still locks the money up in the cruise planner.

Great advice!

1 hour ago, spethstation said:

I am considering purchasing a short 3-4 day cruise to satisfy my travel bug, but circumstances would mean I'd have to travel solo. With Royal's current promo of 60% off the second guest, it's cheaper for me to pay for 2 people than pay for 1. Can I book a second guest as a 'fake guest' and then not have them come? Is that allowed? 🤔

I’m kind of in the same boat as far as traveling alone. Can’t find anyone to cruise with me on a 3 or 4 night .

It is still cheaper to book one person by about $100.00 from what I got when I did the mock booking , did you do a mock booking just to see?

Edited by Midwestgal

2 hours ago, spethstation said:

pre covid at least, NCL had very cheap solos at a true solo rate for last minute travelers. there used to also be a trick where one person got an inside and another a balcony and then just moved to the balcony room but that seems like more work than i wanna do

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Most of the time you can only book GTY rates for two people - that option may not come up when booking solo so it looks more expensive. In that case just put a second person and book GTY.

???  We book for 2 people all the time and always select our own cabin.  

22 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Those low solo prices seem to have been discontinued. 

The price is about $100.00 less for a solo cruiser , I look everyday.

Maybe you misread my post , I didn’t say $100.00 cruise but a $100.00 difference in price. I’m talking about a 3 or 4 night cruise on FOTS .

I just looked , $497.89 for one and $607.78 for two cruisers. This is a 3 night FOTS

Edited by Midwestgal