Are You A Goer or Have You Bailed?

gerryuk

I had a Caribbean cruise on Princess planned for January, 2021.  Of course, we canceled that before final payment.  At that time, I changed it to March, 2022.  I have since moved it again to January, 2023.  

I need to see how it all plays out and that is going to take some time.   

Edited by antmaril

14 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

What other state has an end date? Its all based on the number of cases and hospitalizations. In California it is a statewide issue, with statewide standards, not so much county by county. In my county, case rates are falling fast, but in other counties the ICUs are totally full. So my county is following the statewide policies (which are slightly tighter than CDC recommendations), and cases are falling fast after a peak about a month ago.

By the way, California has the lowest case rate per capita in the US over the last week or 10 days. Rather than doing the standard "its California" stereotyping, looking at the big picture would be a better idea. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am in the "Goer" category and have also already gone twice in the past 2 months.  I flew to Athens in July for a cruise around the Greek Isles and last month flew to Seattle for an Alaskan cruise. 

I agree with Hank and GTO-girl........do I like all the protocols? No, but I understand why they are in place and for me, it is worth going.  I had a wonderful time on both sailings and was really happy I decided to go......I have multiple cruises on the books now too.  I am leaving on Oct 6th for another sailing, out of Lisbon for 12 nights.  December for 15 nights around the Caribbean and next year I have a TA crossing booked for March with another one behind it.......I am making up for lost time😀

I am a cruiser and love being on the water.  I travel solo and I have found it to be the best, most value for my $ vacation.  Sure, there is domestic travel but I have no desire to drive on my own across the country (it just does not appeal to me).  And one of things I LOVE about cruising is the "unpack once" and they take of everything else.......

It is good we all have choices......what is good for one person, may not be for another.  We all need to do what is best for ourselves.......for me? Taking a cruise is best👍.........I remember once this year hit the springtime I told myself, once cruises re-start, I am going.........after retiring in Dec of 2019, 2020 was supposed to be my "year of cruising retirement celebrations"....well, we all know what happened to those sailings....so I am going now and enjoying them all.  Ready to go on #3😀

• Like 2

🤯 🤣 Are You A Goer or Have You Bailed?

I almost fell off my chair when I read your title this morning. A 'goer' has a totally different meaning in the UK. Or if you are a Monty Python fan.  😉 

Nudge, Nudge, Wink, Wink, Say no more!

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

The way I see it, travel is a fluid industry, rules and regulations are constantly changing, in cruising especially things are always changing not all changes people consider an improvement, so I think getting hung up on it being better in the past is inevitably going to leave you disappointed. After 9/11 the security regualtions made things more difficult, gave us more hoops we had to jump through. Lots of people complained but if you tried to wait it out till it went "back to normal" you still wouldn't be travelling 20 years later. I prefer to enjoy the present rather than pine for a past we may never get back and for me at least the enjoyment of travel outweighs any of the discomforts I get from masks or testings.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

I almost fell off my chair when I read your title this morning. A 'goer' has a totally different meaning in the UK. Or if you are a Monty Python fan.  😉 

I am so glad I am not the only one who thought that😂. My first assumption was this must be spam😜.

Edited by ilikeanswers

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

.....after retiring in Dec of 2019, 2020 was supposed to be my "year of cruising retirement celebrations"....well, we all know what happened to those sailings....so I am going now and enjoying them all.  Ready to go on #3😀

I also retired December of 2019 with plans to travel; two cruises and several land trips in the US. Trying to make up for lost time as well. I cruised on NCL two weeks ago with my sister-in-law on a fully vaccinated ship with everyone tested prior to boarding. No restrictions unless off the ship. We did all ship excursions beause it was her preference, but NCL allowed us to book private excursions if we wished. It was wonderful.

I have a Princess cruise booked for late November, so we'll see if that one gets cancelled.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mammajamma2013 said:

I also retired December of 2019 with plans to travel; two cruises and several land trips in the US. Trying to make up for lost time as well. I cruised on NCL two weeks ago with my sister-in-law on a fully vaccinated ship with everyone tested prior to boarding. No restrictions unless off the ship. We did all ship excursions beause it was her preference, but NCL allowed us to book private excursions if we wished. It was wonderful.

I have a Princess cruise booked for late November, so we'll see if that one gets cancelled.

Congrats on your retirement too😀🙂👍.  I don't plan on cancelling any of mine either.......if they get cancelled, it will be the cruise line who does it.

15 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Yes, that is true for domestic trips to some places (but do not go to San Francisco where masking has become a permanent part of life unless you are the Mayor).  And if you decide to go to NYC for a vacation be prepared to not only wear masks but to also show your vaccine card to get inside restaurants, the theater, and other venues. 

Home and hometown for me. Fortunately, two places that fully understand and address the ongoing Covid threat.

Add to this Hawaii. Even Kauai County (where we currently are for about two weeks) has it figured out. Vaccination or proof of quarantine completion required everywhere. And many locations now require a State issued QR code as the only acceptable proof (even for visitors).

BTW: Our first restart cruise will be in January 2022. 100% vaccination requirement for all crew and all passengers. Embarkation testing, mid-cruise and disembark testing too. And, an additional “recommended” 3-4 day pre-embarkation day test that establishes no Covid PEC (required if you want the cruiseline to assume responsibility for land quarantine and medevac should you contract Covid during the cruise. Also masks always for crew and for passengers when social distancing not possible.  EXCELLENT!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

lol. In the US there’s a very prevalent slogan for a major hardware store that refers to ‘do-ers’. I tend to think that word association lead to ‘go-er’

On 9/18/2021 at 4:58 PM, gerryuk said:

It seems that this "pent up demand" has gone with the wind as far as cruises is concerned. Watching Dons Family Vacations (he is a TA so knows the lie of the land) on Youtube yesterday, he was saying that many cruise lines were slashing prices by double figures to try and get customers on board their ships. 

It seems that most people do not want to go cruising due to all the testing involved, the mask wearing, can only leave the ship with a cruise excursions and other rules. And thats before all the airline / airport rules.

I was reading some CC members who have just come of some ships and was surprised to read one who said that there was so few customers on board his ship, it was hard to strike up a conversation with fellow cruisers.

I had a 2 week Med cruise booked with Costa from the 24th of this month and it was cancelled, 2 weeks ago. As well as the option of FCC and transferring the cruise to next year at the same price, i was also offered a free cruise of my choice (same number of days or less) and only had to pay port fees.

I have another cruise booked with Costa in December, its a TA from Barcelona to Guadeloupe. The way thing are, i am hoping this cruise gets cancelled until next year. 

If you have a cruise lined up for this year, are you on your way or are you going to bail and wait it out?, are you hoping the cruise line cancels?

As much as i like cruising, it seems to me that with so many rules in force and many ships sailing with so few customers on board, this is not my idea of cruising and i will wait it out until next year, and hope for the best. Whats your opinion on the current state of cruising. 

My plan is to not go on a cruise until zero people are wearing masks .

• Like 1

On 9/18/2021 at 10:58 AM, gerryuk said:

It seems that this "pent up demand" has gone with the wind as far as cruises is concerned. .....many cruise lines were slashing prices by double figures to try and get customers on board their ships. 

......It seems that most people do not want to go cruising due to all the testing involved, the mask wearing......

Whats your opinion on the current state of cruising. 

A blanket statement like that is terribly inaccurate. At this time, demand is very much driven by which cruise line is being considered. Most of the premium/luxury lines (particularly those with the most extensive Covid precautions/restrictions) already have little cabin availability through to early 2023 and pricing is nothing special.

I would say I am a cautious "go-er".  I did not feel at all comfortable traveling pre-vaccination, and post-vaccination am still cautious but starting to resume some travel.

I'm also a somewhat picky traveler. I have no real interest in US destinations at this point. (Before anyone leaps on this statement, I've done a lot of US travel already.) However, after 18 months and need to just "get away",  DS and I booked a cruise to Alaska last month after the season unexpectedly materialized. We booked right before Delta variant really took off, and as the time got closer we debated whether or not to go, but we did and we both felt safe and had a good, relaxing time. The ratio of passengers to crew made service levels impressive and much like I remember from early days of cruising.

Travel outside the US is still somewhat difficult due to all the back-and-forth changing requirements re: vaccination, quarantine, testing, etc.  I did have two fall trips planned for fall that had been in place for some time: one cruise and one land trip.  Both were canceled. I then looked at a river cruise in France but that has now been moved to a later date. 

So be it.  I'm not going to go on a trip just to prove a point. When the opportunities align and meet my criteria, I'll be ready to go.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Travel outside the US is still somewhat difficult due to all the back-and-forth changing requirements re: vaccination, quarantine, testing, etc. 

I read The Points Guy today or yesterday. They were discouraging people from intl. travel. Saying there are too many things that can happen at the last minute, either at the beginning or the end. And that's a site that's all about flying around the world! We're looking at 9/22.

7 minutes ago, clo said:

I read The Points Guy today or yesterday. They were discouraging people from intl. travel. Saying there are too many things that can happen at the last minute, either at the beginning or the end. And that's a site that's all about flying around the world! We're looking at 9/22.

My company -- an international one based in Germany -- has banned all international travel for work since March 2020 without approval from the highest level executive in each country and demonstrated business case. Just a few days ago that was lifted but there are still requirements in place and it is not encouraged. 

Announced at the same time: any employee who travels internationally on their own PTO and who encounters a need to quarantine as a result of travel requirements would have to take additional PTO to account for those days -- not allowed to use a "work from home" option.

On 9/18/2021 at 4:58 PM, gerryuk said:

It seems that this "pent up demand" has gone with the wind as far as cruises is concerned. Watching Dons Family Vacations (he is a TA so knows the lie of the land) on Youtube yesterday, he was saying that many cruise lines were slashing prices by double figures to try and get customers on board their ships. 

It seems that most people do not want to go cruising due to all the testing involved, the mask wearing, can only leave the ship with a cruise excursions and other rules. And thats before all the airline / airport rules.

I was reading some CC members who have just come of some ships and was surprised to read one who said that there was so few customers on board his ship, it was hard to strike up a conversation with fellow cruisers.

I had a 2 week Med cruise booked with Costa from the 24th of this month and it was cancelled, 2 weeks ago. As well as the option of FCC and transferring the cruise to next year at the same price, i was also offered a free cruise of my choice (same number of days or less) and only had to pay port fees.

I have another cruise booked with Costa in December, its a TA from Barcelona to Guadeloupe. The way thing are, i am hoping this cruise gets cancelled until next year. 

If you have a cruise lined up for this year, are you on your way or are you going to bail and wait it out?, are you hoping the cruise line cancels?

As much as i like cruising, it seems to me that with so many rules in force and many ships sailing with so few customers on board, this is not my idea of cruising and i will wait it out until next year, and hope for the best. Whats your opinion on the current state of cruising. 

Our next cruise is mid-November to Bermuda and the logistics of the testing is concerning, but the bottom line is if the cruise goes, we go. Our cruise after that is in February and our experience in November might influence that, but I expect that it will be the same, if the cruise goes, we go. After that we have a cruise booked in April of 2023 and if we aren't back to normal by then it will be a shock for sure. (Edited to add that I just checked the prices for all three trips and all three have only gone up in price since we've booked. I have seen people getting great deals but they haven't spilled over to our booking yet.)

Edited by sparks1093

Not a goer but not a complete bailer just yet. I am biding my time and taking land based vacations because they have fewer restrictions than cruising. When restrictions on board are similar to those on shore we may consider cruising again.