Jump to content

Positive for Covid at check-in


Recommended Posts

For those of you that wonder, what happens if we test positive at checkin? Well, I’ll tell you from first hand experience. My husband and I left San Antonio yesterday for our Alaska cruise on the Encore today Sept 18. My daughter and SIL were with us. As recommended we all got tested for Covid prior to our travels. We all tested NEGATIVE.  Hooray, we were on our way. This morning we all went to get the mandatory pre-cruise test required by NCL.  Imagine our shock when both my daughter and SIL tested positive. They were both fully vaccinated months ago.

Immediately they were whisked into a private room with security and an NCL REP posted outside. There they were given another Covid test and again both tested positive. The staff asked where their bags were and they contacted the Marriott hotel next door. Security and the NCL Cruise Director went to the hotel and retrieved their bags. ( I had already taken ours out as we knew they would be going there shortly) 

They we’re then driven to a local resort that NCL has contracted with to house passengers that test positive. Since then I have been talked to my daughter numerous times and she said she is amazed at how well NCL has been treating them. They are both asymptomatic  and had no idea this was about to happen. They have been told they will stay at the resort until they both test negative. They are authorized to order room service and with be reimbursed up to $100 per day per person.

I am thankful they did everything right and followed all of NCL’s recommendations. They did have insurance with NCL and are ever so thankful for that.

My husband and I spoke with a member of the medical staff when we checked in, and after much discussion with the Dr on board we were allowed to board.

I am heartbroken leaving them behind,  although my daughter insisted. They have been in touch with their daughter and SIL that are station in Olympia WA. And all have promised me they will keep us updated everyday.

So my best advice is get tested before you leave home, have insurance, and keep a good attitude if life hands you lemons.

STAY SAFE and get VACCINATED.

 

 

 

  • Like 27
  • Thanks 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is she able to share the name of the resort where they're being quarantined? (Not sure if that would be kept quiet in case other guests became concerned, but really curious about what the rooms are like, how much space they have, windows that open for fresh air, etc.)

 

Hope they test negative soon and can enjoy a make-up adventure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh no! I am happy they are asymptomatic, doing well, and receiving adequate care from NCL, but this is still one of my nightmares. We are due to meet my parents in NJ on Saturday for our Sunday sailing out of NYC. We are all being tested on Wednesday, but while my husband and I are being incredibly cautious, locked down in our house, besides my having to go to work every day, and wearing N95s when I do, my parents are taking no extra precautions right now and have very active social lives. I am so worried about what will happen if they test positive at the pier and we do not.

 

I truly hope you and your husband are able to enjoy your cruise and I hope your daughter and SIL stay asymptomatic!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So very sorry to hear about your daughter and SIL. We have been on 3 post-restart cruises and always hold our breath when test results come in. And like @JamieLogical, we lay low (staying out of th market and any non-essential place) for the 2 weeks pre-cruise and have our N95 masks on when we are at work.

 

I am kinda surprised that if you were traveling with your daughter and SIL, that the cruise line allowed you to sail. Have they asked you to test onboard?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Being fully vaccinated doesn't mean you can't get Covid. However it will help you fight it if you do it. Like Jamielogical says hearing that both are asymptotic is good news and shows the vaccine works. 

 

I'm sorry that this happen to your family but I do appreciate a first hand account of what will happen if someone did test positive before going onboard.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

So very sorry to hear about your daughter and SIL. We have been on 3 post-restart cruises and always hold our breath when test results come in. And like @JamieLogical, we lay low (staying out of th market and any non-essential place) for the 2 weeks pre-cruise and have our N95 masks on when we are at work.

 

I am kinda surprised that if you were traveling with your daughter and SIL, that the cruise line allowed you to sail. Have they asked you to test onboard?

I am surprised too as we have relatives who have been exposed and have to quarantine for a period  of time after exposure even though testing neg....., traveling with two people who tested positive at destination sounds like exposed to me.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, lanceholt said:

I am surprised too as we have relatives who have been exposed and have to quarantine for a period  of time after exposure even though testing neg....., traveling with two people who tested positive at destination sounds like exposed to me.  

For what it's worth - the CDC guidelines do not require a fully vaccinated individual to quarantine even if they meet the other parts of the definition of "close contact."

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

what happens if you live local? do you still have to quarantine at their hotel or can you travel home? i am only about 1 hour away from the terminal

There is no lawful authority to lock you up in a quarantine location.  At least not in the USA.  Certainly you can go home.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow, sounds like NCL treats their passengers much better the Carnival!  When I (fully Vaxxed) tested positive on the Breeze on 7/28/21, we were left to our own devices.  Was given a list of 8 possible hotels to quarantine at and we had to make all the calls/arrangements!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, deweytrader said:

Wow, sounds like NCL treats their passengers much better the Carnival!  When I (fully Vaxxed) tested positive on the Breeze on 7/28/21, we were left to our own devices.  Was given a list of 8 possible hotels to quarantine at and we had to make all the calls/arrangements!

Did you have Carnival insurance, because that’s one of the requirements on NCL.  Must have cost you a pretty penny to quarantine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, realtorgranny said:

For those of you that wonder, what happens if we test positive at checkin? Well, I’ll tell you from first hand experience. My husband and I left San Antonio yesterday for our Alaska cruise on the Encore today Sept 18. My daughter and SIL were with us. As recommended we all got tested for Covid prior to our travels. We all tested NEGATIVE.  Hooray, we were on our way. This morning we all went to get the mandatory pre-cruise test required by NCL.  Imagine our shock when both my daughter and SIL tested positive. They were both fully vaccinated months ago.

Immediately they were whisked into a private room with security and an NCL REP posted outside. There they were given another Covid test and again both tested positive. The staff asked where their bags were and they contacted the Marriott hotel next door. Security and the NCL Cruise Director went to the hotel and retrieved their bags. ( I had already taken ours out as we knew they would be going there shortly) 

They we’re then driven to a local resort that NCL has contracted with to house passengers that test positive. Since then I have been talked to my daughter numerous times and she said she is amazed at how well NCL has been treating them. They are both asymptomatic  and had no idea this was about to happen. They have been told they will stay at the resort until they both test negative. They are authorized to order room service and with be reimbursed up to $100 per day per person.

I am thankful they did everything right and followed all of NCL’s recommendations. They did have insurance with NCL and are ever so thankful for that.

My husband and I spoke with a member of the medical staff when we checked in, and after much discussion with the Dr on board we were allowed to board.

I am heartbroken leaving them behind,  although my daughter insisted. They have been in touch with their daughter and SIL that are station in Olympia WA. And all have promised me they will keep us updated everyday.

So my best advice is get tested before you leave home, have insurance, and keep a good attitude if life hands you lemons.

STAY SAFE and get VACCINATED.

 

 

 

which NCL insurance did you have, essentials? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You dont have to have NCL insurance

NCL will pay the parts that your travelinsurance wouldnt cover. No matter where you got the insurance 

The only demand is that you tested negative 72 hours or shorter before saildate . That has to be an official test not one you buy a the store for 3 dollars...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

which NCL insurance did you have, essentials? 

That seems to be the big question.  So, if you DON'T have insurance at all, does that mean NCL covers the cost of transport and quarantine?  How about if you have NCL Essentials insurance? What will NCL cover?  Lots of gaps and "what ifs" with NCL.

 

Just finished sailing Celebrity.  They made it quite clear what they would do if you contract COVID if you had the vaccine and tested negative 72 hours (or less) prior to embarkation.  They actually flew some people home on Celebrity's dime.

 

Still, not sure what NCL will pay for and what they'll provide in this scenario.

 

I am happy that the OP's family is safe.  Just a lot of questions......

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Still, not sure what NCL will pay for and what they'll provide in this scenario.

It sounds like they'll pay for everything.  What makes you "not sure?"  Certainly they're not going to double pay for something already covered by other insurance, but there is nowhere in their documentation where they suggest that insurance is required.  Just that they won't pay anything unless you have proof of vaccination and a negative Covid test within 72 hours of sail date.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

It sounds like they'll pay for everything.  What makes you "not sure?"  Certainly they're not going to double pay for something already covered by other insurance, but there is nowhere in their documentation where they suggest that insurance is required.  Just that they won't pay anything unless you have proof of vaccination and a negative Covid test within 72 hours of sail date.

 

I agree. It certainly seems as though NCL will foot the bill for anything insurance doesn't cover as long as you have had a negative test taken within 72 hours.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contacts are denied embarkation or reboarding, or are quarantined or disembarked during the voyage, due to a positive COVID-19 test or being suspected of having COVID-19, you and they are entitled to a prorated refund, or an optional Future Cruise Credit (“FCC”), for the amount paid to Norwegian in the event of denial at embarkation, or the unused portion of your fare in all other cases
  • If you are denied boarding due to a positive COVID-19 test at embarkation, the cruise line will coordinate and cover costs for travel arrangements for you, and those traveling in the same stateroom, if they are also denied boarding. Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with applicable expenses related to any mandatory quarantine that are not covered by a guests travel insurance only if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours prior to their sail date. Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours of sail date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible.

    The cruise line will not be able to assist with travel arrangements if a guest is denied boarding as a result of a violating the cruise line’s health and safety protocols.

The part that’s concerning are the words “prorated refund” and “assist with applicable expenses”.  We all know how NCL adheres to those sticky details.  Looks like they left themselves wiggle room.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

The part that’s concerning are the words “prorated refund” and “assist with applicable expenses”.  We all know how NCL adheres to those sticky details.  Looks like they left themselves wiggle room.

I believe that the "prorated" applies to the "during the voyage" possibility (e.g. you're quarantined after five days, so you get a prorated refund for the final two days).

 

Regarding applicable expenses, we now have what we haven't before.  A first hand report of somebody who has ACTUALLY gone through the process.  It appears very favorable for the cruiser, and a credit to NCL.  I'm seeing no report of them weaseling out with some "wiggle room" clause. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, keep on cruisin said:

I would also be interested in knowing if they lived local would they have been able to go home.  We live in New Jersey and will be driving ourselves, so we could easily quarantine at home if needed.

 

You can definitely drive home if testing positive at the pier or on the ship. I follow youtubers who tested positive on Carnival and were allowed to drive home when they disembarked. For better or worse, the US has no ability to enforce quarantine for COVID-positive people. You wouldn't be able to fly unless you were willing to lie, because airlines ask you if you have tested positive for COVID during check-in. But there is no law/mechanism that would prevent you from getting into your car and driving home or anywhere else you pleased.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...