Positive for Covid at check-in

realtorgranny

We test prior to our cruise 2 weeks ago through CVS with a rapid test. They provided results online within the hour. I was worried since I had already gotten my third shot, but had some sort of upper respiratory and runny, could've been allergies too. Needless to say I tested negative. 

At the port still had this nose that would turn on and off. But I tested negative at the port as well.

We saw a few people get taken away to a special room for another test, not sure if they made it on board. 

But for anyone with an upcoming cruise, I'd atleast test prior to going. 

14 hours ago, phillygwm said:

I wish NCL would just be more clear about the policy, as of any given moment in time, recognizing it's going to be tweaked occasionally (i.e. 96 versus 72 hours.)  Put the policy prominently on the homepage!  

Most of us have significant money riding on our cruises and we're reading website changes like we're debating the meaning of bible verses.  The fact that most of us are not attorneys or insurance agents, and some of us (like me) are inherently cynical doesn't help matters.

A superb and definitive quote!

For us Canadians it's even worse - if we test + at embarkation, we have to rent a car and drive back home or quarantine for up to 14 days ....

The  small print  really does matter!

On 10/18/2021 at 12:08 PM, Baron Barracuda said:

Final word on my brother's situation:  Upon arrival at terminal everyone was tested by CVS people on retainer to NCL and kept in a holding area pending results.  After testing positive he was re-tested which again came up positive.  At this point he was denied entry to terminal and told to wait outside while they retrieved his luggage.  He repeatedly asked to speak with an NCL representative (it was their terminal after all) but was told none was available.  After a couple of hours his luggage was returned and he received a call from NCL (possibly resulting from his calls to TA) offering him a local car service, accommodations at a specific local hotel while he was ill and transport home.  Although he is non-symptomatic he was concerned about symptoms developing later on or wife becoming ill so asked for cab to airport where he could rent a car and drive back to NYC.  NCL paid for cab but would not pick up car rental fee.  Couple are on the way home now and only gripe they have with NCL is there should have been someone on site to deal with these situations at least something in writing explaining his options .  I'm sure he's not the only one to test positive at pier.

It's good to hear that they could at least rent a car to get home.  Somebody kept posting on the forum that you can't rent a car after a positive Covid test.

may be crazy, but do volunteer at at Covid Call Center; if you are fully vaccinated, have no symptoms, no known contact with a person that has tested positive for Covid; first off no reason for testing, understand NCL requires testing, if you meet the above, still no symptoms, I do not believe any restrictions can be placed on you for travel getting home??

On 10/22/2021 at 11:24 PM, luckyinpa said:

This is what's actually in the cruise contract I just signed for an upcoming sailing. I boldfaced the final sentence.

(5) Guest Testing Positive for COVID-19 Pre-Cruise The Guest agrees that if at any time within 14 days prior to embarkation, the Guest tests positive for COVID-19, exhibits signs or symptoms of COVID-19, has had close contact with a person confirmed or suspected as having COVID-19, or we otherwise determine in our sole discretion that the Guest is unfit to board because of any communicable illness, we will deny boarding to such Guest. Under these circumstances, unless we determine that the Guest has failed to comply with our COVID-19 Policies and Procedures or this Ticket Contract, any Guest denied boarding because of a known or suspected infection with COVID-19 will be entitled to a refund if required by law, or an optional future cruise credit equal in value to the amount the Guest paid to us, subject to the Guest providing verification satisfactory to us of results of tests administered by providers other than those retained by us. For further details, refer to our refund and cancellation policy at www.ncl.com. Under no circumstances shall we have any other liability for any compensation or other damages whatsoever, including but not limited to compensation for lodging or travel.

Edited by hawkeyetlse
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2021 at 7:48 PM, Candy Apple 12 said:

Did you notify NCL that you later tested positive? How soon after disembarking did you test positive?This would determine whether you were potentially infectious while on the cruise. Did NCL know that you were close contacts with D and SIL? 

But, another thread stated someone was quarantined on the ship because they were a close contact with a spa person who tested positive.

CDC says: “

• If you’ve had close contact with someone who has COVID-19, you should get tested 3-5 days after your exposure, even if you don’t have symptoms. You should also wear a mask indoors in public for 14 days following exposure or until your test result is negative. You should isolate for 10 days if your test result is positive.”

I wonder if NCL will change this policy to include people in the same traveling party, not just in the same cabin. OP and her husband should not have been able to board if NCL knew that they were close contacts. How would they enforce mask wearing for just those two cruisers, as recommended by the CDC?

I'm wondering the same thing about the traveling party. My husband and I are in one room, my daughters in one room with their cousin, and my son in another room with another cousin. All 3 are minors. If myself or my husband test positive, they'll quarantine us, but not our kids? Surely they have a plan for something like this.

1 hour ago, ally&tommysmom said:

1 hour ago, ally&tommysmom said:

IMy husband and I are in one room, my daughters in one room with their cousin, and my son in another room with another cousin. All 3 are minors. If myself or my husband test positive, 

That's your personal arrangement when you board. Before you board, it will be whoever you put down sharing a cabin that will probably be sent boarding if one has tested positive. The rest will be allowed to board. Following from what has happened before.

As for once on board, I can't remember if anyone has posted about their experience of testing positive. I'm sure someone can answer that.

Of course everything is fluid and NCL do change their policies as time goes on

On 10/26/2021 at 7:56 AM, hawkeyetlse said:

(5) Guest Testing Positive for COVID-19 Pre-Cruise The Guest agrees that if at any time within 14 days prior to embarkation, the Guest tests positive for COVID-19, exhibits signs or symptoms of COVID-19, has had close contact with a person confirmed or suspected as having COVID-19, or we otherwise determine in our sole discretion that the Guest is unfit to board because of any communicable illness, we will deny boarding to such Guest.

This is interesting.  IIRC, the OP had members of their traveling party denied boarding but those in a different cabin that tested negative were still allowed to board and wouldn't have received a refund if they didn't.  It seems that this action by NCL violated their own contract terms as stated above.  Am I wrong?

28 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

This is interesting.  IIRC, the OP had members of their traveling party denied boarding but those in a different cabin that tested negative were still allowed to board and wouldn't have received a refund if they didn't.  It seems that this action by NCL violated their own contract terms as stated above.  Am I wrong?

Are you talking about the family that boarded in Seattle? Where the daughter tested positive and her family was put in hotel quarantine in Seattle while her mother and father continued on with the cruise even though the family had shared a hotel room the night before? I don't think you are wrong. The loophole might be that they did not have close contact while on a NCL vessel. In other words, NCL can not confirm or deny close contact. Like so many things with covid, it just doesn't make sense. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Are you talking about the family that boarded in Seattle? Where the daughter tested positive and her family was put in hotel quarantine in Seattle while her mother and father continued on with the cruise even though the family had shared a hotel room the night before? I don't think you are wrong. The loophole might be that they did not have close contact while on a NCL vessel. In other words, NCL can not confirm or deny close contact. Like so many things with covid, it just doesn't make sense. 

Yep.  That's the story I was remembering.  If they gave each other a nice long hug in the terminal, would NCL then declare "CLOSE CONTACT!!!!" and refuse boarding (along with the legally required refund)?

7 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yep.  That's the story I was remembering.  If they gave each other a nice long hug in the terminal, would NCL then declare "CLOSE CONTACT!!!!" and refuse boarding (along with the legally required refund)?

Maybe for a 15 minute hug lol. None of this makes any sense to me.

I've noticed you mention "legally required refund" more than once, can you point me to that law that includes testing positive for covid? 

5 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I've noticed you mention "legally required refund" more than once, can you point me to that law that includes testing positive for covid? 

I'm referring to US consumer protection credit card law.  If you pay for a good or service, and the merchant fails to deliver on it, you get your money back.  It really doesn't matter what NCL's website says today, it's what it said when you paid with your credit card.

1 minute ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I'm referring to US consumer protection credit card law.  If you pay for a good or service, and the merchant fails to deliver on it, you get your money back.  It really doesn't matter what NCL's website says today, it's what it said when you paid with your credit card.

Are you sure this applies if you test positive for covid? Here is the language directly from the FTC regarding credit card protection. 

In this case, NCL is delivering the product "as you agreed" since you agreed to show a negative test before boarding. Am I reading this wrong or do you have a source explaining in more detail??

"Here are some possible reasons why you might believe a charge is incorrect:

• The date or amount of the charge is wrong.
  • The charge is for goods or services that you didn’t accept or that weren’t delivered to you as agreed.
  • You were charged more than once for something.
  • You returned the item, but the credit wasn’t posted to your account.
  • You paid for the item, but the payment wasn’t posted to your account.
  • You didn’t authorize the transaction."

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/sample-letter-disputing-credit-and-debit-card-charges

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

It was more than a long hug they shared a hotel room the night before and if I remember right they tested positive when they got home. 

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Are you sure this applies if you test positive for covid? Here is the language directly from the FTC regarding credit card protection. 

In this case, NCL is delivering the product "as you agreed" since you agreed to show a negative test before boarding. Am I reading this wrong or do you have a source explaining in more detail??

"Here are some possible reasons why you might believe a charge is incorrect:

• The date or amount of the charge is wrong.
  • The charge is for goods or services that you didn’t accept or that weren’t delivered to you as agreed.
  • You were charged more than once for something.
  • You returned the item, but the credit wasn’t posted to your account.
  • You paid for the item, but the payment wasn’t posted to your account.
  • You didn’t authorize the transaction."

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/sample-letter-disputing-credit-and-debit-card-charges

Yes, I'm pretty sure.  That said, I'm not a lawyer and I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn Express for decades.  I pay for a cruise.  They don't let me on the ship.  I get my money back.  These laws weren't written with a pandemic in mind.  They were written so that when a consumer pays for something, they get it or get their money back.  The burden is on the merchant to prove to the credit card company that they delivered the product or service that the consumer paid for.  No cruise line is going to challenge this.

2 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yes, I'm pretty sure.  That said, I'm not a lawyer and I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn Express for decades.  I pay for a cruise.  They don't let me on the ship.  I get my money back.  These laws weren't written with a pandemic in mind.  They were written so that when a consumer pays for something, they get it or get their money back.  The burden is on the merchant to prove to the credit card company that they delivered the product or service that the consumer paid for.  No cruise line is going to challenge this.

I respectfully disagree. I do think people may get their money back due to NCL policy, but I don't believe that you can just get a refund  from the credit card company under Consumer Protection Act. You may also get a refund based on the particular credit cards built in travel insurance, but again I don't think the Consumer Protection Act applies.

In my understanding, the consumer protection act was written to protect consumers in the event NCL didn't hold up their end of the bargain. Let's hope we never know anyone who has to file under the ftc because at that point there are much bigger issues.

Ironically, there will be four lawyers at my Thanksgiving dinner. I'll run it by them 🙂

On 10/11/2021 at 3:12 PM, JamieLogical said:

Wait, so you would rather just get on the cruise COVID positive? Testing at the pier doesn't GIVE you COVID. Testing at the pier helps mitigate the risk of COVID-positive people boarding. Basically, you are saying "ignorance is bliss". You'd rather get on a ship full of people who tested negative 3 days ago than on a ship full of people who tested negative TODAY?

I took it as she would rather test positive at home and stay at home vs getting to the pier and testing positive. I could be wrong though. 

12 hours ago, #55worktoplay said:

I took it as she would rather test positive at home and stay at home vs getting to the pier and testing positive. I could be wrong though. 

Nothing precludes anyone from testing on their own prior to traveling to the pier. I still insist that there is nothing "wrong" or "bad" about testing at the pier. It's the safest possible policy for all onboard as it means you are armed with the most current information. The other lines only require testing 2 days out from sailing. A lot can happen in two days.

13 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

What if you arrived at the pier without identification, you wouldn’t board or get a refund. I think it’s great NCL is giving refunds for positive covid cases, but it’s really not their fault if someone shows up with covid.

• Like 1