Jump to content

Positive for Covid at check-in


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

 

You can definitely drive home if testing positive at the pier or on the ship. I follow youtubers who tested positive on Carnival and were allowed to drive home when they disembarked. For better or worse, the US has no ability to enforce quarantine for COVID-positive people. You wouldn't be able to fly unless you were willing to lie, because airlines ask you if you have tested positive for COVID during check-in. But there is no law/mechanism that would prevent you from getting into your car and driving home or anywhere else you pleased.

https://www.hhs.gov/answers/public-health-and-safety/who-has-the-authority-to-enforce-isolation-and-quarantine/index.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

 

You can definitely drive home if testing positive at the pier or on the ship. I follow youtubers who tested positive on Carnival and were allowed to drive home when they disembarked. For better or worse, the US has no ability to enforce quarantine for COVID-positive people. You wouldn't be able to fly unless you were willing to lie, because airlines ask you if you have tested positive for COVID during check-in. But there is no law/mechanism that would prevent you from getting into your car and driving home or anywhere else you pleased.

You might still have to deal with Security.  As the op stated the daughter and SIL were wisked away by Security.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, keep on cruisin said:

You might still have to deal with Security.  As the op stated the daughter and SIL were wisked away by Security.  

Exactly right. Washington State also has their own requirements, along with the federal government.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, keep on cruisin said:

You might still have to deal with Security.  As the op stated the daughter and SIL were wisked away by Security.  

I would hope that NCL would not allow anyone who tests positive at the end of the cruise to just get off the ship without verification of their post-cruise travel arrangements.  If one is driving home from the port, then an escort to your car - otherwise, whatever adjustments to travel and/or quarantine is required.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, julig22 said:

I would hope that NCL would not allow anyone who tests positive at the end of the cruise to just get off the ship without verification of their post-cruise travel arrangements.  If one is driving home from the port, then an escort to your car - otherwise, whatever adjustments to travel and/or quarantine is required.

Understood, but in this case it was at embarkation not debarkation.

 

  I was referring more to the comments that there us no legal right to detain.  I would not have an issue being escorted to the car.  I would not however want to be stuck in a hotel for however  long it takes my body to clear the virus, when i can do that from home.  That being said there is also nothing that would require the person to drive home other than it being the right thing to do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, keep on cruisin said:

Understood, but in this case it was at embarkation not debarkation.

 

  I was referring more to the comments that there us no legal right to detain.  I would not have an issue being escorted to the car.  I would not however want to be stuck in a hotel for however  long it takes my body to clear the virus, when i can do that from home.  That being said there is also nothing that would require the person to drive home other than it being the right thing to do.

My comment related to your response to "I follow youtubers who tested positive on Carnival and were allowed to drive home when they disembarked. "

Embarkation, debarkation - beginning, middle, end of cruise.  Does not matter.

Yea, the right thing to do would be to drive home and not take public transportation.  But recent history sadly tells us that doing the right thing isn't exactly what people choose when it comes down to convenience, personal rights, etc. Sure, nobody wants to be stuck in a hotel but it's the right thing to do if the only means to get home is public transportation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

this is great first hand knowledge. i initially balked about taking a test 2 days before a royal cruise but i can see that testing at the pier is much much more risky.  then again, if ncl is maskless thats a huge plus there. it's literally a spreadsheet of pros/cons as to what you do these days.  i hope they test neg soon and get home. being locked in  a hotel isnt fun.  lucky they do have a hotel that has room service. so many are still closed these days

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, julig22 said:

My comment related to your response to "I follow youtubers who tested positive on Carnival and were allowed to drive home when they disembarked. "

Embarkation, debarkation - beginning, middle, end of cruise.  Does not matter.

Yea, the right thing to do would be to drive home and not take public transportation.  But recent history sadly tells us that doing the right thing isn't exactly what people choose when it comes down to convenience, personal rights, etc. Sure, nobody wants to be stuck in a hotel but it's the right thing to do if the only means to get home is public transportation.

Agreed that public transportation should not be allowed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As far as being held ‘against your will’ during quarantine. You certainly can be. I’m pretty sure you would be violating some law if you were to get on an airplane and fly home immediately following a positive test. One of my co-workers who had Covid did tell us that the police drove by his house every day snd had him, then called him and had him wave from the window, so they could be sure he was home. Not sure what the penalty would be if you missed the check in. Have seen reports of people violating quarantines in hawaii that were hit with heavy fines and possible jail time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

As far as being held ‘against your will’ during quarantine. You certainly can be. I’m pretty sure you would be violating some law if you were to get on an airplane and fly home immediately following a positive test. One of my co-workers who had Covid did tell us that the police drove by his house every day snd had him, then called him and had him wave from the window, so they could be sure he was home. Not sure what the penalty would be if you missed the check in. Have seen reports of people violating quarantines in hawaii that were hit with heavy fines and possible jail time.

 

what was the size of the city for the police drive by?   just cant imagine anything other than a mayberry having police time to do such checkins

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

 

what was the size of the city for the police drive by?   just cant imagine anything other than a mayberry having police time to do such checkins


it was a county (since health departments are by county). County deputies and city officers don’t overlap like that.

 

and the higher point was that they CAN, not that they WILL

Edited by sanger727
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

As far as being held ‘against your will’ during quarantine. You certainly can be. I’m pretty sure you would be violating some law if you were to get on an airplane and fly home immediately following a positive test. One of my co-workers who had Covid did tell us that the police drove by his house every day snd had him, then called him and had him wave from the window, so they could be sure he was home. Not sure what the penalty would be if you missed the check in. Have seen reports of people violating quarantines in hawaii that were hit with heavy fines and possible jail time.

Yes, on Hawaii we would have the national guard, in full uniform, come to each person's residence every day at a different time, and we definitely faced arrest and a hefty fine if we weren't there.  It worked really well, though, for a while we had almost no Covid island-wide.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

It sounds like they'll pay for everything.  What makes you "not sure?"  Certainly they're not going to double pay for something already covered by other insurance, but there is nowhere in their documentation where they suggest that insurance is required.  Just that they won't pay anything unless you have proof of vaccination and a negative Covid test within 72 hours of sail date.

Why not come right out and say that…..”NCL will cover all expenses and fees related to any fully vaccinated guest if they have a positive COVID result at embarkation”?  Instead, they are being nebulous like stating they’ll “assist”.  Assisting with expenses is not the same as paying for the related expenses.  Thus, they are giving themselves wiggle room.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Why not come right out and say that…..”NCL will cover all expenses and fees related to any fully vaccinated guest if they have a positive COVID result at embarkation”?  Instead, they are being nebulous like stating they’ll “assist”.  Assisting with expenses is not the same as paying for the related expenses.  Thus, they are giving themselves wiggle room.

Because they won’t and they already stated that you must take the 72 hour ahead of time covid test and they will only cover expenses above and beyond your insurance coverage. There is nothing “nebulous” about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can see NCL telling the family of 6 who test positive they would only “assist” with their COVID related expenses instead of paying for them straight out like they would for just a couple, and point to their statement promising only to “assist”.

 

Costs more to cover a family of 6 than a couple.

 

I’ve dealt with NCL for too long and cruised them too many times not to look for the loopholes and question their business practices.

Edited by graphicguy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I can see NCL telling the family of 6 who test positive they would only “assist” with their COVID related expenses instead of paying for them straight out like they would for just a couple, and point to their statement promising only to “assist”.

 

Costs more to cover a family of 6 than a couple.

 

I’ve dealt with NCL for too long and cruised them too many times not to look for the loopholes and question their business practices.

Nothing says they have to pay anything at all.  I, in fact, am surprised and happy if they pay even $1. That’s why insurance was invented. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Cruiser021421 said:

Nothing says they have to pay anything at all.  I, in fact, am surprised and happy if they pay even $1. That’s why insurance was invented. 

They made the statement to “assist” with positive COVID tests because they wanted to get passengers on board to feel safe.

 

If they didn’t want to “pay even $1”, they would have suffered fewer passengers.

 

It’s not like they are so trustworthy they would never beg some passengers to come back to cruise with then after start up, and then cancel the cruise to schedule it again with higher fares.  Oh wait……..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Why not come right out and say that…..”NCL will cover all expenses and fees related to any fully vaccinated guest if they have a positive COVID result at embarkation”?  Instead, they are being nebulous like stating they’ll “assist”.  Assisting with expenses is not the same as paying for the related expenses.  Thus, they are giving themselves wiggle room.

I'm more interested in what they actually do than what they say.  That said, we now have our first report of an actual experience and, dare I say, actions speak louder than words.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I'm more interested in what they actually do than what they say.  That said, we now have our first report of an actual experience and, dare I say, actions speak louder than words.  

I'm grateful that OP provided these details.  It's reassuring to read of an actual experience rather than all of our 'what if' speculations.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, graphicguy said:

They made the statement to “assist” with positive COVID tests because they wanted to get passengers on board to feel safe.

 

If they didn’t want to “pay even $1”, they would have suffered fewer passengers.

 

It’s not like they are so trustworthy they would never beg some passengers to come back to cruise with then after start up, and then cancel the cruise to schedule it again with higher fares.  Oh wait……..

As another person said, Carnival did absolutely nothing and they were on their own. So….

We have first hand experience posted here and NCL came through and treated them very well. So happy to hear of this first hand experience rather than pure conjecture. 

Edited by Cruiser021421
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, julig22 said:

I would hope that NCL would not allow anyone who tests positive at the end of the cruise to just get off the ship without verification of their post-cruise travel arrangements.  If one is driving home from the port, then an escort to your car - otherwise, whatever adjustments to travel and/or quarantine is required.

I have kids at college, positives can either quarantine in quarantine housing, be picked up, or drive home. Some students live far, you know they’re stopping for food and bathroom breaks getting home. It’s really an honor system. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Cruiser021421 said:

Because they won’t and they already stated that you must take the 72 hour ahead of time covid test and they will only cover expenses above and beyond your insurance coverage. There is nothing “nebulous” about it.

 

I keep looking on the NCL site and I can't find where it states taking a Covid test 72 hours ahead of time.  Could you provide me with a link?  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I'm more interested in what they actually do than what they say.  That said, we now have our first report of an actual experience and, dare I say, actions speak louder than words.  

I get that.  

 

Some of us long time NCL customers know all too well what NCL does unless you pin them down exactly to what they will/won’t do…from pre-Pandemic to more recently.  

 

That’s not a knock on their crew, their ships, etc.  It’s corporate policies which you have to be leery of.

 

I’ll provide an apology if a large group/family, who test positive at embarkation, are taken care of.

 

Their policies aren’t a sign of their benevolence.  They had to do it to get people back on their ships and pay them money.  If you’re going to do it, be up front about it.

 

Someone else mentioned Carnival (although I don’t know what that has to do with NCL).  But, sounds like they are getting huge flack for their COVID policies.

 

Given we’re talking about other cruise lines, here’s Celebrity’s posted policy.  There are no “ifs, ands or buts” about it.  No “we’ll assist you”.  They come right and say it….”Celebrity Cruises will cover the cost….”

 

“We’re with you every step of the way no matter where in the world you travel with us. If you test positive for COVID-19 onboard during your cruise, Celebrity Cruises will cover the cost of your onboard COVID-19 medical treatment, land-based isolation, and private air transfer home for you and your traveling party, if required.”

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2021
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Enjoy the Gift of Travel with Regent Seven Seas Cruises
      • ICYMI Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with Silversea Cruises
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...