Positive for Covid at check-in

realtorgranny

4 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

I keep looking on the NCL site and I can't find where it states taking a Covid test 72 hours ahead of time.  Could you provide me with a link?  

From NCL's Sail Safe FAQ

If one person in our party tests positive, will we all be denied boarding? Will the Company assist with travel arrangements?

Guests who test positive for COVID-19 and those travelling in the same stateroom, will be denied boarding.

If you are denied boarding due to a positive COVID-19 test at embarkation, the cruise line will coordinate and cover costs for travel arrangements for you, and those traveling in the same stateroom, if they are also denied boarding. Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with applicable expenses related to any mandatory quarantine that are not covered by a guests travel insurance only if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours prior to their sail date. Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours of sail date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible.

The cruise line will not be able to assist with travel arrangements if a guest is denied boarding as a result of a violating the cruise line’s health and safety protocols.

29 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

From NCL's Sail Safe FAQ

If one person in our party tests positive, will we all be denied boarding? Will the Company assist with travel arrangements?

Guests who test positive for COVID-19 and those travelling in the same stateroom, will be denied boarding.

If you are denied boarding due to a positive COVID-19 test at embarkation, the cruise line will coordinate and cover costs for travel arrangements for you, and those traveling in the same stateroom, if they are also denied boarding. Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with applicable expenses related to any mandatory quarantine that are not covered by a guests travel insurance only if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours prior to their sail date. Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours of sail date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible.

The cruise line will not be able to assist with travel arrangements if a guest is denied boarding as a result of a violating the cruise line’s health and safety protocols.

Thank you Jamie.

52 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

I keep looking on the NCL site and I can't find where it states taking a Covid test 72 hours ahead of time.  Could you provide me with a link?  

It’s in the FAQs toward the bottom of the page.

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

Edit…sorry to double answer! I just saw it was already answered. Happy and safe cruising to you!

Edited by Cruiser021421
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, justletmecruise said:

I'm so glad you are all ok.

I’m booked on the Encore October 16, Alaska cruise.  I’m confused about the Covid testing.  Will the rapid test you can take at home be accepted?

Just now, Rincon55 said:

Confused also rep told us rapid test would be ok but I keep reading pcr or antigen does anyone know for sure leaving Wednesday on getaway Mediterranean cruise thanks

The rapid test you take at home *is* an antigen test. However, I assume that, like other cruise lines, NCL will only accept the proctored version of the test. That is the one you take at home over a video call where your taking of the test and the results are monitored. Here's a video of someone taking the proctored home test for their Princess cruise:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rincon55 said:

Confused also rep told us rapid test would be ok but I keep reading pcr or antigen does anyone know for sure leaving Wednesday on getaway Mediterranean cruise thanks

Pretty sure that most, if not all, rapid tests are antigen.

20 minutes ago, justletmecruise said:

I'm so glad you are all ok.

I’m booked on the Encore October 16, Alaska cruise.  I’m confused about the Covid testing.  Will the rapid test you can take at home be accepted?

The key is that there must be written proof meeting the following criteria.

Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours of sail date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible.

2 minutes ago, Cruiser021421 said:

The key is that there must be written proof meeting the following criteria.

Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours of sail date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible.

Right. If you take the non-proctored version of the home tests, you won't get official, registered results with all of that info on them.

So as I read the FAQ, NCL doesn’t require a negative test 72 hours in advance to board the ship but just if you want them to assist with expenses related to quarantine that are not covered by insurance.

I believe Carnival Cruise requires a negative test two days before the cruise on your own dollar to board their ships.

I have a cruise this December and since I’m 76 years old I have every intention of getting the Covid booster shot in October. 

50 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

So as I read the FAQ, NCL doesn’t require a negative test 72 hours in advance to board the ship but just if you want them to assist with expenses related to quarantine that are not covered by insurance.

I believe Carnival Cruise requires a negative test two days before the cruise on your own dollar to board their ships.

I have a cruise this December and since I’m 76 years old I have every intention of getting the Covid booster shot in October. 

You are correct. Not required but if you want them to assist with expenses, it is necessary to have. NCL tests you again just before boarding, which NCL pays for.

Wow, thank you for the link on doing a home test.  I had no idea that there are 2 different at home tests.  I purchased the OTC instead of the RX kit.  

It really seems silly to have to take a test and then another one at the dock.

I just spoke to NCL and they said you did not have to have a test done before, but it is recommended. 

2 minutes ago, justletmecruise said:

Wow, thank you for the link on doing a home test.  I had no idea that there are 2 different at home tests.  I purchased the OTC instead of the RX kit.  

I just spoke to NCL and they said you did not have to have a test done before, but it is recommended. 

The 72 hour optional test really comes down to quarantine costs. If you live local and can turn around and drive home?   Not needed. If you’re flying to Seattle for an Alaskan cruise, and might have to quarantine in Seattle for 2 weeks because you can’t get on a plane?  Well, maybe your insurance will pay for it, maybe it won’t. But if you have that 72 hour test, NCL will cover any costs, but if you don’t, they won’t. 

Note also Bermuda cruises have additional pre-Cruise test requirements, but there is a very long separate thread for that!!!

14 minutes ago, justletmecruise said:

It is only "required" if you need NCL to cover the costs of travel/quarantine should you test positive at the pier. If you are unconcerned about those costs, then you do not need to test.

Here is what I find interesting about the pre-testing and the quarantine expenses:

The website says:

As indicated in the highlighted section, it says they will assist with expenses "that are not covered by a guests travel insurance". What if a guest has a negative test within 72 hours, is denied boarding due to a positive test at the pier, but the guest has no travel insurance? Does this mean that NCL will handle all of the quarantine expenses?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

As indicated in the highlighted section, it says they will assist with expenses "that are not covered by a guests travel insurance". What if a guest has a negative test within 72 hours, is denied boarding due to a positive test at the pier, but the guest has no travel insurance? Does this mean that NCL will handle all of the quarantine expenses?

Yes. They will obviously try to leverage any travel insurance you already have first and then cover the cost themselves if you have no travel insurance or the insurance you do have does not cover these items.

Side note: Buy travel insurance!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Here is what I find interesting about the pre-testing and the quarantine expenses:

The website says:

The point I have issue with, too.

Jamie....due respect, but you've dealt with NCL in the past.  You know how they've "finagled" us who booked with them after the start up, at their urging, and then screwed us over.

@SeaShark...you point out exactly the "wiggle room" NCL has left themselves.  Who decides what the applicable expenses are?  What are the "travel arrangements" they'll allegedly cover?  Will they fly the positive COVID passenger home if that's the way they arrived?  Will they What if NCL says that our insurance wasn't valid or didn't cover enough of the expenses in order for them to pick up the rest.  Insurance isn't even mandatory to be denied embarkation due to COVID.  What happens to those who have NO insurance?

According to the CDC, if you have the qualified COVID vaccines, there is no requirement to quarantine.  But, according to NCL, if you test positive, even when vaccinated, they'll only assist if you need to quarantine.  In other words, you can test positive, even after providing a negative test within 72 hours and being fully vaccinated, and they'll deny you embarkation.  But, you do not need to quarantine, so they won't provide anything to you because there was no mandatory quarantine required.

If you think about it, this is true of everyone who books with them.  NCL requires 100% COVID vaccination.  So, if positive, it's not mandatory to quarantine.  You test positive and are denied embarkation, they can say they owe you nothing.  The more I look under the covers on this, the less their policies have any real benefit to us.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Jamie....due respect, but you've dealt with NCL in the past.  You know how they've "finagled" us who booked with them after the start up, at their urging, and then screwed us over.

@SeaShark...you point out exactly the "wiggle room" NCL has left themselves.  Who decides what the applicable expenses are?  What are the "travel arrangements" they'll allegedly cover?  Will they fly the positive COVID passenger home if that's the way they arrived?  Will they What if NCL says that our insurance wasn't valid or didn't cover enough of the expenses in order for them to pick up the rest.  Insurance isn't even mandatory to be denied embarkation due to COVID.  What happens to those who have NO insurance?

According to the CDC, if you have the qualified COVID vaccines, there is no requirement to quarantine.  But, according to NCL, if you test positive, even when vaccinated, they'll only assist if you need to quarantine.  In other words, you can test positive, even after providing a negative test within 72 hours and being fully vaccinated, and they'll deny you embarkation.  But, you do not need to quarantine, so they won't provide anything to you because there was no mandatory quarantine required.

If you think about it, this is true of everyone who books with them.  NCL requires 100% COVID vaccination.  So, if positive, it's not mandatory to quarantine.  You test positive and are denied embarkation, they can say they owe you nothing.  The more I look under the covers on this, the less their policies have any real benefit to us.

Personally, I think anyone who is relying on a cruise line to foot the bill and take care of them if they test positive is taking a ridiculous risk. No one should be traveling without travel insurance right now. If NCL covers anything, good for them! I would definitely not put my faith and trust in NCL to do so, though. Beyond that, this is only for a VERY specific circumstance. Everyone should have travel insurance for the myriad other circumstances that could befall them before or while traveling.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Except we already know that they are paying expenses of the people that are the subject of this original post. Washington State also has their own public health department with their own requirements. Call or email NCL with your questions. Get it in writing. That is the only way that you’ll be satisfied. No one here knows and all you want to do is pick everything apart.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

So will the NCL essential insurance cover anything if you test positive?

10 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I bought it because it was cheap, easy and through the cruise line.  Like all fringe insurance products, I won't know what is really covered until I make a claim.

The different policies are linked about the middle of the page
https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/booksafe

• Thanks 1

Thanks to the OP for posting your experience - very helpful to hear a first hand account!  Hope everyone involved does well!   I'll be following this thread, as it provides a lot of very valuable information re: NCL's current sailing protocols, especially when it comes to testing.  We are considering our first NCL cruise in December - we'll see.  It seems like all things COVID related change every 5 minutes these days, not just cruising!  Thanks to all for posting information in this thread - JamieLogical: your info has been especially useful for me, as it helps keep things in an understandable form!  😁

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I bought it because it was cheap, easy and through the cruise line.  Like all fringe insurance products, I won't know what is really covered until I make a claim.

Me too.  Bought ESSENTIALS through NCL.  I see nothing about COVID coverage......nothing.

Called NCL support and asked them about what they would do if I am denied boarding due to COVID at embarkation, even if I have a negative COVID test in hand and proof of vaccines.  They said they would "Assist" with travel arrangements home.  I specifically asked if they would pay for my way home.  They refused to state that.  I asked again if that meant they would pay for me to get home.  They deflected and would not make that statement.  Only that they'd help make arrangements.  I kept asking.  They kept deflecting.

I asked about the CDC stating anyone having COVID vaccines not needing to quarantine, the customer support rep confirmed that the assumption they follow CDC guidelines is correct.  That means, given you're fully vaccinated (and if not, you'll forfeit the cruise), and CDC states those vaccinated do not have to quarantine with a positive COVID test, NCL doesn't actually publicly state they'll pay for anything.  Only to help and assist if you test positive.

So, as I thought, regardless of insurance (and unless you have COVID specific insurance, if you can find it), you test positive upon embarkation, you can get some form of help arranging a trip home, but don't count on them paying for it.  Pull out your credit card.

I get people wanting to believe in NCL's benevolence.  And, I'm quite happy that the OP  had a positive experience.  But, there's really nothing NCL is committing to for anyone else's COVID experience other than to maybe have a rep you can talk to and get help making arrangements.