Positive for Covid at check-in

realtorgranny

1 hour ago, steveknj said:

This has been concerning me so much lately and the thought of having to be quarantined in a room for even a few days is making me consider changing my cruise to one that leaves out of NY which is close to home.   We are vaccinated and I know the odds are slim we'll test positive bu why risk flying to a location and then be denied going on the cruise.  I think NCL is doing the right thing, but I'm just trying to minimize my own risk.

NCL requires you to test prior to leaving home (if you want assistance should you fail your COVID test at check-in) and a NCL-administered test at the port at check-in. So, with a negative test at home, there would be a very, very, tiny chance of testing positive a day or two later at the pier. (Full disclosure, it has happened at least once). 

The Breakaway and Getaway are nearly identical sisters. The Getaway is one year younger, but that really doesn't matter. Personally, the itinerary out of NOLA is far superior and I would go there,,, even with the very, very, tiny chance of not passing the check-in test. 

On 10/6/2021 at 10:03 PM, realtorgranny said:

For those of you asking about multiple cabins and only one couple in one cabin testing positive. We were not offered the option to not travel on the cruise and receive anything in exchange. It was explained that they will only provide for members traveling in the same cabin. We did fly to Seattle together and stayed in the same hotel room with our daughter and SIL, but that did not matter.

UPDATE: Since our return on 9/28 both my husband and I have tested positive. So far we have mild symptoms, we thought it was a cold from all the rain in Alaska. Hopefully it stays that way.

Did you notify NCL that you later tested positive? How soon after disembarking did you test positive?This would determine whether you were potentially infectious while on the cruise. Did NCL know that you were close contacts with D and SIL? 

On 10/10/2021 at 10:30 AM, SoDonewithitAll said:

How NCL handled this follows the CDC guidelines for close contact to the letter. According to CDC guidelines, if you are vaccinated you do not need to quarantine if you are not showing symptoms even if you have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive. This is how any business following CDC recommendations is handling quarantine, including schools.

But, another thread stated someone was quarantined on the ship because they were a close contact with a spa person who tested positive.

CDC says: “

• If you’ve had close contact with someone who has COVID-19, you should get tested 3-5 days after your exposure, even if you don’t have symptoms. You should also wear a mask indoors in public for 14 days following exposure or until your test result is negative. You should isolate for 10 days if your test result is positive.”
4 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

And this too is from the NCL website.

If one person in our party tests positive, will we be denied boarding?  Will the Company assist with travel arrangements?

Guests who test positive for COVID-19 and those travelling in the same stateroom, will be denied boarding.

If you are denied boarding due to a positive COVID-19 test at embarkation, the cruise line will coordinate and cover costs for travel arrangements for you, and those traveling in the same stateroom, if they are also denied boarding. Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with applicable expenses related to any mandatory quarantine that are not covered by a guests travel insurance only if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours prior to their sail date. Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours of sail date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible.

The cruise line will not be able to assist with travel arrangements if a guest is denied boarding as a result of a violating the cruise line’s health and safety protocols.

I wonder if NCL will change this policy to include people in the same traveling party, not just in the same cabin. OP and her husband should not have been able to board if NCL knew that they were close contacts. How would they enforce mask wearing for just those two cruisers, as recommended by the CDC?

Edited by Candy Apple 12
  • Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 6:22 PM, eileeshb said:

I guess we all now have a new reason to take pictures of our luggage… make it easier to pull if the test comes back positive.

I was just thinking that! Not sure how I would describe the pattern on mine. Picture would be necessary.

3 minutes ago, prov2727 said:

I was just thinking that! Not sure how I would describe the pattern on mine. Picture would be necessary.

Take a picture and put a tracker on it. I've been doing it for years. And YES the trackers work...

I've been using TILE...  https://amzn.to/3oSNEgj

I just recently bought some Apple's  Air Tags...  https://amzn.to/309dbY7

3 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Take a picture and put a tracker on it. I've been doing it for years. And YES the trackers work...

I've been using TILE...  https://amzn.to/3oSNEgj

I just recently bought some Apple's  Air Tags...  https://amzn.to/309dbY7

I have a tile on my roomba and it’s a game changer! She’s a good hider.

• Haha 2

On 10/11/2021 at 2:12 PM, JamieLogical said:

Wait, so you would rather just get on the cruise COVID positive? Testing at the pier doesn't GIVE you COVID. Testing at the pier helps mitigate the risk of COVID-positive people boarding. Basically, you are saying "ignorance is bliss". You'd rather get on a ship full of people who tested negative 3 days ago than on a ship full of people who tested negative TODAY?

On any given day,  I don't know the covid status of my office co-workers.  I depend on my vaccine and masking to protect me.   If I go on my May cruise, I will not know the covid status of those around me on public transportation to the airport, at the airport, on the  plane, at my pre-cruise hotel, and during my pre-cruise sightseeing.   I will depend on my vaccine and masking to protect me.

By the 3rd day of the cruise, I won't know the covid status of my fellow passengers, as anyone could become positive after a negative test at the pier.   If I go on the cruise, I would depend on my vaccine and masks to protect me, with the added comfort factor of passengers and crew being vaccinated.

I am saying that the incremental additional comfort from pier testing isn't worth the small but devastating risk of my vacation being ruined by a positive test.  I am looking into land vacations in Europe as an alternative, and I have not yet come across a hotel requiring a covid test at the check-in desk.   That is a preferable vacation for me if the NCL pier testing situation is unchanged at the time I have to make final payment on my cruise.   

Edited by Joanne G.
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

On any given day,  I don't know the covid status of my office co-workers.  I depend on my vaccine and masking to protect me.   If I go on my May cruise, I will not know the covid status of those around me on public transportation to the airport, at the airport, on the  plane, at my pre-cruise hotel, and during my pre-cruise sightseeing.   I will depend on my vaccine and masking to protect me.

By the 3rd day of the cruise, I won't know the covid status of my fellow passengers, as anyone could become positive after a negative test at the pier.   If I go on the cruise, I would depend on my vaccine and masks to protect me, with the added comfort factor of passengers and crew being vaccinated.

I am saying that the incremental additional comfort from pier testing isn't worth the small but devastating risk of my vacation being ruined by a positive test.  I am looking into land vacations in Europe as an alternative, and I have not yet come across a hotel requiring a covid test at the check-in desk.   That is a preferable vacation for me if the NCL pier testing situation is unchanged at the time I have to make final payment on my cruise.   

What NCL is doing to mitigate the risk associated with COVID through testing and 100% vacs represents the best possible solution to allow those of us that wish to cruise to do so until we get this pandemic behind us.  I am not looking forward to getting a swab stuck up my nose any more than anyone,  but it is a small price to pay in order to feel safe while cruising.  I respect your decision to get vaccinated and wear your mask and I respect your awareness that despite anything that NCL does to mitigate risk there is still a chance that COVID could ruin your vacation.   We all have to ultimately do what we feel comfortable doing.  

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

. . . .  We all have to ultimately do what we feel comfortable doing.  

You are absolutely right.  It may be a long time before travel is "normal" again.   Maybe it never will be.    We monitor current conditions and balance our desire for travel against the perceived risks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joanne G. said:

I am looking into land vacations in Europe as an alternative, and I have not yet come across a hotel requiring a covid test at the check-in desk.   That is a preferable vacation for me if the NCL pier testing situation is unchanged at the time I have to make final payment on my cruise.   

We have two European trips for next year. One with a cruise, one without. Just FYI.  EU countries can impose there own testing requirements, while considering the recommendations from the EU.  Some countries already have a requirement that you must be within 270 days since your last vaccine. So hotels may not, but countries could, and have, in the past.  The  U.K.can set their own testing requirements. Then, the US still requires testing to board a plane flying to the US, including vaccinated travelers. A positive test at that point would result in a mandatory quarantine in a hotel.  So, we plan to get tested before we leave home, and carry insurance to cover any of this. 

I think a lot depends on what happens this winter. Let’s hope we don’t have another wave, more of the world gets vaccinated, and that some of the requirements won’t be necessary. CoVID 19 Vaccine requirements for most international travel are probably here to stay.  

Yes, I am aware of all the current and potential conditions in European countries.   The difference is I can make hotel reservations for which I don't have to pay until the stay and can cancel at the last minute without penalty, as opposed to the hefty financial commitment several months in advance of a cruise, with costly cancellation options after that point.   

As for the current requirement for testing before returning to the U.S., I used to feel that was a deal-breaker.   I am coming to accept that requirement might be around for a long time, and I may ultimately find that risk acceptable at the end of my vacation, as opposed to ruining it up front.   Insurance and adequate resources to pay for the unexpected at the end of my vacation are part of my decision making process.   As is booking  refundable or no-change-fee flights.  

2 hours ago, Joanne G. said:

I still find it shocking that you would rather get on a cruise ship COVID-positive than get tested at the pier.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I still find it shocking that you would rather get on a cruise ship COVID-positive than get tested at the pier.

Some people just don't get it.  I got a vaccine to protect me.  I wear a mask to protect those around me, plus provide some protection for myself.  I get tested to protect those I might come in contact with.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Joanne G. said:

You are absolutely right.  It may be a long time before travel is "normal" again.   Maybe it never will be.    We monitor current conditions and balance our desire for travel against the perceived risks.

That is the challenge. People making decisions on perceptions versus actual risks. 

There is actual risk of getting more COVID on cruise ships. Pier testing prevents anyone with COVID from boarding the ship. And if your vacation is ruined because you test positive, then, sorry....  but you're still not welcome on the ship with COVID. 

Has anyone been denied boarding: Yes

Has anyone been denied boarding after passing a test at home 2-3 days earlier: Yes

Has anyone tested positive on the ship after testing negative twice: Yes

So, anything we can do to minimize the last "yes" far outweighs anyone's personal vacation needs. If you test positive at home, you're not welcome at work, you're not welcome in a store. You are not welcome. And if you test positive any time during the few days leading up to your cruise, you're not welcome. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, julig22 said:

Some people just don't get it.  I got a vaccine to protect me.  I wear a mask to protect those around me, plus provide some protection for myself.  I get tested to protect those I might come in contact with.

Right? How selfish would you have to be to go on a cruise and expose a bunch of people to COVID just so *your* vacation isn't ruined!

"Don't want *my* vacation ruined by testing positive at the pier. Would rather ruin dozens of other people's vacations by giving them COVID!"

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 3

I haven't received ANY commo from NCL about the pre-cruise testing requirements.  I "hear" there's a requirement to test negative within 72 hours of embarkation.   So, how does a person accomplish that?  I've been told my medical providers and Walgreens that it takes 3-to-5 days to get the result.

So, are you required to TAKE a doctor-administered test (vs home-test)?

And if so, must you take it within 72 hours of boarding?

And if so, what if the results don't come back before you board?

The logistics are confusing me.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, styxfire said:

I haven't received ANY commo from NCL about the pre-cruise testing requirements.  I "hear" there's a requirement to test negative within 72 hours of embarkation.   So, how does a person accomplish that?  I've been told my medical providers and Walgreens that it takes 3-to-5 days to get the result.

So, are you required to TAKE a doctor-administered test (vs home-test)?

And if so, must you take it within 72 hours of boarding?

And if so, what if the results don't come back before you board?

The logistics are confusing me.

First of all, you aren't required to test within 72 hours. This only becomes relevant if you test positive at the pier and hope to have NCL compensate you for any travel/quarantine expenses related to that positive test. So, if you have good travel insurance or are driving to the pier, the 72-hour test is unnecessary.

If you do opt to get tested, an antigen test is acceptable. Results for antigen tests are usually available in under an hour, so look at county-run testing sites in your area or urgent care locations that will conduct antigen tests.

Home test kits are only acceptable if they are proctored, meaning you video conference with a certified professional who observes you taking the test and observes the results.

On the social media group for our 10/3 NY to Bermuda sailing, there were at least two positives on the 96 hour PCR test (that is required by Bermuda, not the case with other NCL sailings).  While I understand the disappointment of those families, the test served its purpose. It potentially avoided any spread from exposure at the pier which would not have been detected from the immediate tests. (Plus potentially any additional spread at the airport, on their flights, etc., as neither one was local to NY.). For all the hassle of those rapid PCR tests, to me those cases showed the tests were worth it. 

Edited by psac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

First of all, you aren't required to test within 72 hours. This only becomes relevant if you test positive at the pier and hope to have NCL compensate you for any travel/quarantine expenses related to that positive test. So, if you have good travel insurance or are driving to the pier, the 72-hour test is unnecessary.

If you do opt to get tested, an antigen test is acceptable. Results for antigen tests are usually available in under an hour, so look at county-run testing sites in your area or urgent care locations that will conduct antigen tests.

Home test kits are only acceptable if they are proctored, meaning you video conference with a certified professional who observes you taking the test and observes the results.

Wow great info. I drive to cruises and didn't realize that distinction that I don't need the test days before the cruise. So if I test POS at the port I just get my fare back n go back home. Very fair

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

Wow great info. I drive to cruises and didn't realize that distinction that I don't need the test days before the cruise. So if I test POS at the port I just get my fare back n go back home. Very fair

I thought you couldn't get the fare back unless you tested negative 72 hours prior to the cruise...but then tested positive at the pier.

• Like 1

It appears that NCL has changed the policy on the Sail Safe documentation. On the FAQ they have updated the language to say they recommend a PCR test up to 96 hours before sailing. This has changed from 72 hours. An antigen test is acceptable if a PCR is not readily accessible. 

8 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I thought you couldn't get the fare back unless you tested negative 72 hours prior to the cruise...but then tested positive at the pier.

You will always get the fare back, however, you would not get any help from NCL for any quarantine expenses.

• Like 1

Had a long talk with Travel Insurance Agent-  Got recommended two policies that cover Covid virus as a covered condition for cancellation, disruption of cruise, etc.  BUT, it has to be diagnosed by a medical provider, NOT just a positive test at the Pier. If you test positive at the Pier, you will need to get a diagnosis before insurance will kick in.  Hopefully NCL will reimburse , but dont count on insurance unless you get a diagnosis.  Just sharing what I was told

1 hour ago, NW Pacific said:

Had a long talk with Travel Insurance Agent-  Got recommended two policies that cover Covid virus as a covered condition for cancellation, disruption of cruise, etc.  BUT, it has to be diagnosed by a medical provider, NOT just a positive test at the Pier. If you test positive at the Pier, you will need to get a diagnosis before insurance will kick in.  Hopefully NCL will reimburse , but dont count on insurance unless you get a diagnosis.  Just sharing what I was told

I was going to mention this. It came up in an insurance agent's blog that I follow. None of the standard policies will cover you unless you're able to get a doctor's recommendation that you not go on the cruise. The recommendation has to be obtained on the same day you are refused at the pier. The other problem is that most "cancel for any reason" policies require you to cancel two days before the cruise, not the day of the cruise when you are denied boarding.