Positive for Covid at check-in

realtorgranny

Just got a quick call from brother.  NCL called and offered to put them up at Holiday Inn Express for one night.  Said there should be no problem getting cruise reimbursement approved.  Brother didn't purchase travel insurance so believes he will be out airfare.  (Not the right time to beat him up about insurance).  He's really annoyed because they're fully vaccinated and have been careful.  Now looking into renting a car and driving back to NY.

14 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Just got a quick call from brother.  NCL called and offered to put them up at Holiday Inn Express for one night.  Said there should be no problem getting cruise reimbursement approved.  Brother didn't purchase travel insurance so believes he will be out airfare.  (Not the right time to beat him up about insurance).  He's really annoyed because they're fully vaccinated and have been careful.  Now looking into renting a car and driving back to NY.

If they tested ahead of the cruise, I don't understand why NCL isn't doing more to help them. Does he have the email from NCL about the 72-hour testing and how they will cover expenses associated with quarantine?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Baron Barracuda said:

It really sucks that their 25th anniversary was ruined.  Hopefully for their 50th they can look back and laugh.

On 10/16/2021 at 2:05 PM, Tonysplus2 said:

I spoke with Ncl agent today and was told they are recommending testing 96 hours before cruise on all sailings. If you test positive at check in and was negative at 96 hours they will help with quarantine. 

I thought it was 72 hours (3 days)?

1 hour ago, Baron Barracuda said:

I didn’t think you could rent a car if you were Covid positive?
Glad NCL is putting them up in a hotel. 

1 hour ago, Oakman58 said:

It really sucks that their 25th anniversary was ruined.  Hopefully for their 50th they can look back and laugh.

So I am anti insurance also for vacations but during these unprecedented times I buy the insurance. An extra $500 is a big expense but worth it right now to me. 

I assume without insurance ncl didn’t owe them more that they did for them.  I am not criticizing them just I have changed what I do. I can stand to lose the cost of a cruise but the other expenses would be unknown if I am stuck in another country or even state for an extended time. 

For the last 19 months I have bought the insurance on everything and I have traveled several times. It does annoy me to spend the money but makes me feel better.

I am sorry they have to deal with this. We all got vaccinated thinking we were safe and now everything has changed. I just hope it ends soon. We all just want to live our lives like we did pre Covid.

Based on this absolutely awful response to a positive covid test when believing in ncl and also taking a test prior I am now reconsidering my cruise on ncl

We were assured that if someone tested positive after a negative test 3 days prior that ncl would help through the quarantine at a hotel process and not just for a mere one night.  We also were told about a $100/day stipend.

another concern was that if we gave two cabins and one person is positive and can’t board that the other 3 across the two rooms won’t want to travel without that person.  We were assured that if this happened to a family across rooms that we could opt for a cruise credit the day of boarding.

Does anyone have any more insight into positive at pier passengers and why ncl is not taking care of these people denied boarding or if we can’t trust ncl?  If so many people are testing positive for being vaccinated and we now have to worry about ncl turning their back on positive tested guests, I’m unsure what to do.

Edited by cusematt4
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

Based on this absolutely awful response to a positive covid test when believing in ncl and also taking a test prior I am now reconsidering my cruise on ncl

We were assured that if someone tested positive after a negative test 3 days prior that ncl would help through the quarantine at a hotel process and not just for a mere one night.  We also were told about a $100/day stipend.

another concern was that if we gave two cabins and one person is positive and can’t board that the other 3 across the two rooms won’t want to travel without that person.  We were assured that if this happened to a family across rooms that we could opt for a cruise credit the day of boarding.

Does anyone have any more insight into positive at pier passengers and why ncl is not taking care of these people denied boarding or if we can’t trust ncl?  If so many people are testing positive for being vaccinated and we now have to worry about ncl turning their back on positive tested guests, I’m unsure what to do.

You could always invest in some travel insurance to be safe.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Tonysplus2 said:

I thought they changed to 96 hours on Bermuda cruises. I think NCl is changing all cruises to 96 hour testing. I’ve read this in other topics 

You have; several days ago NCL changed their recommendation for pre-cruise testing from 72 to 96  hours.    (96 hours for a PCR test had been [and still is] a requirement of the government of Bermuda for cruisers sailing there even before the NCL change.)

NCL:  "We strongly encourage all guests to take a COVID-19 PCR test within 96-hours prior to their sail date as an added precaution. If a PCR test is not readily available, then we encourage guests to at a minimum take a COVID-19 antigen test, prior to travel."

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe?intcmp=pdt_sl_SAILSAFEVAC

• Like 2

Final word on my brother's situation:  Upon arrival at terminal everyone was tested by CVS people on retainer to NCL and kept in a holding area pending results.  After testing positive he was re-tested which again came up positive.  At this point he was denied entry to terminal and told to wait outside while they retrieved his luggage.  He repeatedly asked to speak with an NCL representative (it was their terminal after all) but was told none was available.  After a couple of hours his luggage was returned and he received a call from NCL (possibly resulting from his calls to TA) offering him a local car service, accommodations at a specific local hotel while he was ill and transport home.  Although he is non-symptomatic he was concerned about symptoms developing later on or wife becoming ill so asked for cab to airport where he could rent a car and drive back to NYC.  NCL paid for cab but would not pick up car rental fee.  Couple are on the way home now and only gripe they have with NCL is there should have been someone on site to deal with these situations at least something in writing explaining his options .  I'm sure he's not the only one to test positive at pier.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, aubreyc1988 said:

So I noticed the wording changed on Sail Safe to the 96 hrs but doesn't talk at all about NCL paying for quarantine costs etc, unless I missed it somewhere? 

I don’t think you missed it.  If you look back in this thread to some comments from Saturday, you’ll see several in which folks (including I) have stated they don’t see that text any longer. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Final word on my brother's situation:  Upon arrival at terminal everyone was tested by CVS people on retainer to NCL and kept in a holding area pending results.  After testing positive he was re-tested which again came up positive.  At this point he was denied entry to terminal and told to wait outside while they retrieved his luggage.  He repeatedly asked to speak with an NCL representative (it was their terminal after all) but was told none was available.  After a couple of hours his luggage was returned and he received a call from NCL (possibly resulting from his calls to TA) offering him a local car service, accommodations at a specific local hotel while he was ill and transport home.  Although he is non-symptomatic he was concerned about symptoms developing later on or wife becoming ill so asked for cab to airport where he could rent a car and drive back to NYC.  NCL paid for cab but would not pick up car rental fee.  Couple are on the way home now and only gripe they have with NCL is there should have been someone on site to deal with these situations at least something in writing explaining his options .  I'm sure he's not the only one to test positive at pier.

Glad to hear he is on his way home. I hope he and his wife stay asymptomatic. So sorry about their ruined 25th anniversary cruise.

This situation highlights how contiguous Covid is. You do everything right. You get vaccinated/double jagged. You try your best to be as safe as possible the weeks before cruising. You take the tests before leaving. And then this happens. No logic in how or why. It just does. 

Anyone can still get Covid even if they been vaccinated. Hopefully as he has been jagged, he will remain without any symptoms and recover. NCL has obviously changed their policy but try to do it subtly. Well it failed. They should at least have one rep talk through the options with you. 

3 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

offering him a local car service, accommodations at a specific local hotel while he was ill and transport home

Ah, there it is.....he was offered accommodations, but turned them down.  IMHO, can't blame NCL for that.

However, I'm sorry he's ill and isn't able to go on his cruise.  That just sucks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yinster said:

This situation highlights how contiguous Covid is. You do everything right. You get vaccinated/double jagged. You try your best to be as safe as possible the weeks before cruising. You take the tests before leaving. And then this happens. No logic in how or why. It just does. 

Anyone can still get Covid even if they been vaccinated. Hopefully as he has been jagged, he will remain without any symptoms and recover. NCL has obviously changed their policy but try to do it subtly. Well it failed. They should at least have one rep talk through the options with you. 

First off I hope everyone remains asymptomatic and am very sorry they had to deal with that.   That honestly is why we choose to sail out of NY. At least if one of us had tested positive we would have just driven home.   Might have had to fight for the prepaid parking to be refunded.

I agree there should have been a representative at the testing site to assist.  Bad job there by either NCL or the local management, but ultimately it is on NCL. But that being said the offer to be put up at a specific hotel while he was sick(presumably meaning testing positive) was made.  Since they did not choose that option, we don't know if the food stipend would have been offered, or how the follow up would have been handled further testing.

I am surprised they were able to rent a car.   I also would not have gone to the airport to rent it.   Outside locations don't tack on the airport surcharge.  Only the one way.  I was in Fort Myers in July and the price difference renting in the airport vs the local location was over $125. for 3 day rental.

Understand why he did not want hotel offer for one night, since he (they) were without symptoms, vaccinated.   BTW insurance only covers expenses for diagnosed covid cases, NOT testing positive.  Just in case somehow was wondering.   At least that is what I have been told from travel insurance agents.  But still going to go for our cruise in January 

1 hour ago, NW Pacific said:

Understand why he did not want hotel offer for one night, since he (they) were without symptoms, vaccinated.   BTW insurance only covers expenses for diagnosed covid cases, NOT testing positive.  Just in case somehow was wondering.   At least that is what I have been told from travel insurance agents.  But still going to go for our cruise in January 

Curious that NCL offered him a ride to the airport, whenever he tested positive, so that he could get on a flight back home and infect people on the plane? I guess I am just confused about the quarantine rules, altho he was in Florida so maybe no rules for those who test positive? 

I am unclear if the ride to the airport was to maybe rent a car?  This summer, we found that car rentals outside of an airport required a return to that location only.  A one way rental required booking an airport to another airport.  This was our experience in three different cities. Maybe that is what happened here.  

3 hours ago, NW Pacific said:

BTW insurance only covers expenses for diagnosed covid cases, NOT testing positive.  Just in case somehow was wondering.   At least that is what I have been told from travel insurance agents.  But still going to go for our cruise in January 

I read this is in Steve’s  blog as well.  It seems the best thing to do is find a clinic/physician in your embarkation city before you cruise.  This certainly becomes complicated again, especially for foreign embarkation ports. 

4 hours ago, milolii said:

I am unclear if the ride to the airport was to maybe rent a car?  This summer, we found that car rentals outside of an airport required a return to that location only.  A one way rental required booking an airport to another airport.  This was our experience in three different cities. Maybe that is what happened here.  

I read this is in Steve’s  blog as well.  It seems the best thing to do is find a clinic/physician in your embarkation city before you cruise.  This certainly becomes complicated again, especially for foreign embarkation ports. 

Couple weeks back we rented car from airport to non airport location.  Things change day by day.

Well, after reading this latest case of testing positive at the pier, I too am considering cancelling my cruise.  NCL was very careful in their wording to “assist” a passenger who tested positive at the pier (not specifically pay for expenses).  Now, they’ve eliminated the “assist” promise. And, we also find out that contrary to earlier statements, NCL insurance will be useless unless you are diagnosed as having Covid by a doctor.  So, after testing positive twice at the pier, and then the doctor says you don’t have COVID, you have no cruise and insurance won’t pay for your expenses, such as hotel, meals, flight home.  

I’m also wondering if an NCL rep finally called this recent passenger because his case was brought up here on CC. I can’t imagine the stress of sitting at the port waiting for your luggage and wondering what to do without an NCL rep there to offer assistance.

• Like 2