Positive for Covid at check-in

realtorgranny

1 hour ago, luvcruzing said:

Well, after reading this latest case of testing positive at the pier, I too am considering cancelling my cruise.  NCL was very careful in their wording to “assist” a passenger who tested positive at the pier (not specifically pay for expenses).  Now, they’ve eliminated the “assist” promise. And, we also find out that contrary to earlier statements, NCL insurance will be useless unless you are diagnosed as having Covid by a doctor.  So, after testing positive twice at the pier, and then the doctor says you don’t have COVID, you have no cruise and insurance won’t pay for your expenses, such as hotel, meals, flight home.  

Yeah, it was there a few weeks ago and now it’s gone. So what’s the point of testing on our own (most of the time with a cost) other than peace of mind?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

Yeah, it was there a few weeks ago and now it’s gone. So what’s the point of testing on our own (most of the time with a cost) other than peace of mind?

Well, if you have to travel to the port, you might want to get tested at home before you leave; in the event that your test is positive, you'd know not to travel.  

• Like 2

It’s concerning how you have two different passenger experiences with Norwegian within approximately a month but at two different ports, and they varied drastically, from being well taken care of to basically being dumped off. They’ve got to get things straight and consistent; otherwise it’s too risky for pax. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, luvcruzing said:

And, we also find out that contrary to earlier statements, NCL insurance will be useless unless you are diagnosed as having Covid by a doctor.  So, after testing positive twice at the pier, and then the doctor says you don’t have COVID, you have no cruise and insurance won’t pay for your expenses, such as hotel, meals, flight home.  

So I sent this question to my insurance agent (which is NOT NCL).  The response  was that this would most likely be a trip interruption claim.  Not sure what it means for others, just the response I got from my insurance agent.  

7 hours ago, milolii said:

So I sent this question to my insurance agent (which is NOT NCL).  The response  was that this would most likely be a trip interruption claim.  Not sure what it means for others, just the response I got from my insurance agent.  

So,,, does "trip interruption" include 10-14 days of room and board in a hotel quarantining? 

22 hours ago, luvcruzing said:

And, we also find out that contrary to earlier statements, NCL insurance will be useless unless you are diagnosed as having Covid by a doctor.  So, after testing positive twice at the pier, and then the doctor says you don’t have COVID, you have no cruise and insurance won’t pay for your expenses, such as hotel, meals, flight home. 

Does the NCL policy actually say you have to go see a doctor? If so, surely the NCL doctor at the terminal would qualify…?

If you have repeatedly tested positive, why would a doctor then say you don't have Covid?

Edited by hawkeyetlse

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

So,,, does "trip interruption" include 10-14 days of room and board in a hotel quarantining? 

That would happen if the test came back positive and yes it would be covered as an illness.   

From the Q&A  “ Yes,, CoVID-19  is treated the same as any other illness for purposes of all coverages that are triggered by sickness or that can reimburse loses resulting from a sickness..”  

And  under trip interruption quarantine is covered. 

This is  the plan I purchased after  conversations with the insurance company frequency recommended on  the insurance forum, as well as, other forums here on Cruise Critic.  In Addison several  long time CC members have detailed how they had to use the insurance for other emergencies and how helpful the staff were, not only while filing a claim, but what to do when the illness or injury occurs. 

But I can not speak to other insurance, such as NCL. Also, with any insurance,  coverage and exclusions are different based on your own state insurance laws. 

Thanks for the info.  What policy is it that you are referring to that has been recommended with helpful staff?  

Does anyone know what would happen if one person across two cabins for 4 people tested positive?  Would insurance cover just the one or both cabins for hotel and quarantine and travel interruption?  Would Ncl or insurance cover the full family if travel and exposed to each other for a future cruise credit?

• Like 1

@Baron Barracuda….so sorry to hear how your plans became discombobulated.  Also, hope you and yours are well.  Hope they do indeed refund your fare, that you willingly paid them because of their assurances.

I was worried that NCL had left themselves an out when it came to COVID testing.  And, they offered little reassurance when you booked far in advance that you’re COVID testing was positive at embarkation.  They had given themselves “wiggle room”.  Although, on the surface, they acted and stated safety and customer service was their chief concerns.

So, we booked with them.  

I had issues with NCL about how they screwed many of us upon the restart to begin with.  They lured us back in with their promises about COVID safety and their “risk free” assurances with a positive COVID test.

Here was are again.  NCL has gone back to their nefarious ways.

Once again, even though the GF and I just returned from a wonderful Encore Alaska cruise, we will not be booking NCL again (we’re both Platinum Latitudes).

Edited by graphicguy

5 hours ago, graphicguy said:

@Baron Barracuda….so sorry to hear how your plans became discombobulated.  Also, hope you and yours are well.  Hope they do indeed refund your fare, that you willingly paid them because of their assurances.

I was worried that NCL had left themselves an out when it came to COVID testing.  And, they offered little reassurance when you booked far in advance that you’re COVID testing was positive at embarkation.  They had given themselves “wiggle room”.  Although, on the surface, they acted and stated safety and customer service was their chief concerns.

So, we booked with them.  

I had issues with NCL about how they screwed many of us upon the restart to begin with.  They lured us back in with their promises about COVID safety and their “risk free” assurances with a positive COVID test.

Here was are again.  NCL has gone back to their nefarious ways.

Once again, even though the GF and I just returned from a wonderful Encore Alaska cruise, we will not be booking NCL again (we’re both Platinum Latitudes).

I do not think NCL changed their policy about assisting passengers who test positive at the pier after testing negative ahead of time. It sounds like they did offer to help Baron Barracuda's brother. Re-read post 190. The only complaint the brother really had was with the lack of communication at the pier prior to receiving a phone call from NCL offering assistance. Accommodations and transportation were offered, but the passengers decided to drive home.

I am confused about the timeline for the test needed ahead of time though. How many days ahead do you need to be tested in order to qualify for assistance from NCL? (If not cruising to Bermuda).

• Like 1

I have to say no matter what you do Covid will find you.  I am fully vaccinated with Moderna since March 19th. Today I tested positive. My mother in law died last week, not from Covid. I caught it at the funeral home or church. So far my niece and myself.  Both fully vaccinated.

I am so careful and let my guard down at the funeral home. At least I am 116 days out from my cruise. Now I just need to survive the next 10 days of quarantine or whatever it throws at me. Right now just stuffed nose and loss of taste and smell but this is only day 2 since symptoms started.

Please be careful out there and don’t let you guard down.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Cruising Lynne said:

I am confused about the timeline for the test needed ahead of time though. How many days ahead do you need to be tested in order to qualify for assistance from NCL? (If not cruising to Bermuda).

NCL recently changed their advice to have an optional pre-cruise test from 72 to 96 hours.  But they have removed the language about "assistance" from their web site.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RRSeeker said:

I have to say no matter what you do Covid will find you.  I am fully vaccinated with Moderna since March 19th. Today I tested positive. My mother in law died last week, not from Covid. I caught it at the funeral home or church. So far my niece and myself.  Both fully vaccinated.

I am so careful and let my guard down at the funeral home. At least I am 116 days out from my cruise. Now I just need to survive the next 10 days of quarantine or whatever it throws at me. Right now just stuffed nose and loss of taste and smell but this is only day 2 since symptoms started.

Please be careful out there and don’t let you guard down.

I am very sorry for your loss.  And I hope that your symptoms don't get worse, and that you recover quickly.

12 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

NCL recently changed their advice to have an optional pre-cruise test from 72 to 96 hours.  But they have removed the language about "assistance" from their web site.   

Wow, this is a big change. I guess it is even more important to have insurance these days. I hope that if anyone tests positive at the pier they are able to use it to pay for a quarantine hotel. I am gad that my first few cruises are within driving distance to home. For me, flying to port is too risky right now. It does limit my options quite a bit tough. It is difficult for the passenger that the cruise lines have all policies "subject to change" right now. 

30 minutes ago, Cruising Lynne said:

Wow, this is a big change. I guess it is even more important to have insurance these days. I hope that if anyone tests positive at the pier they are able to use it to pay for a quarantine hotel. I am gad that my first few cruises are within driving distance to home. For me, flying to port is too risky right now. It does limit my options quite a bit tough. It is difficult for the passenger that the cruise lines have all policies "subject to change" right now. 

It’s unclear whether or not NCL will still provide assistance, but it is true that no one has been able to find that language on the website now. 

Imho, trip insurance has always been a good thing, even pre-pandemic. 

• Like 2

The Gem is in Miami today and it’s one of the first nearly full cruises as it’s the start of the fall Sixthman charter season.  People have been in line for 4+ hours, inside, without food/water/bathrooms.  They are blaming a CVS staffing shortage, but that doesn’t explain why you would ignore social distancing for hours, not provide food/water.  I was supposed to be on that cruise and I’m real glad we cancelled.  Hoping they’ll have figured it out by my trip in a few weeks!

is this what people were looking for

https://www.ncl.com/faq#!#if-i-am-denied-boarding-will-i-receive-assistance-travel-arrangements

If I am denied boarding, will I receive assistance with travel arrangements?

If a guest is denied boarding due to a positive COVID-19 test at embarkation, the cruise line will coordinate and cover costs for travel arrangements, for that guest and those traveling with them if they are also denied boarding. The cruise line will not be able to assist with travel arrangements if a guest is denied boarding as a result of a violating the cruise line's health and safety protocols.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

I wish NCL would just be more clear about the policy, as of any given moment in time, recognizing it's going to be tweaked occasionally (i.e. 96 versus 72 hours.)  Put the policy prominently on the homepage!  

Most of us have significant money riding on our cruises and we're reading website changes like we're debating the meaning of bible verses.  The fact that most of us are not attorneys or insurance agents, and some of us (like me) are inherently cynical doesn't help matters.

Edited by phillygwm