The Daily for Sunday September 19, 2021

richwmn

Well, by the time I read and "like" all the posts, the day is half over.  Thank you to everyone for the Daily news!

I have spent two days making grape jelly.  A friend gave me a huge box of his Concord grapes, as he has done for the last few years, and by the time I had them prepared, strained and cooked, I was worn out.  But I made 18 jars of jelly, a case of which I gave  back to my friend, as we don't eat a lot of jellies, and he has a big family.  

Pat has been spending his time getting us ready for our cruise, and we will have the American cousins up here next weekend.  After they leave, it's time to break out the suitcases.

Happy Anniversary, @mamaofami, I hope you have a lovely visit with your DH today!

And I am thinking of everyone else, prayers for those that need them, hope all the medicines are working like they should, and no ill effects!   And congratulations to those celebrating, and a successful reunion for Roy and  an easy trip home.

• Like 21

6 hours ago, kazu said:

3C712242-71BA-4402-A0B6-E3679B87B028.jpeg.bc0d22574146027869a7c0f4083c002c.jpeg

In our town really nice family-run Persian restaurant opened a few years ago. Mrs, XBGuy and I really enjoy Mediterranean/Middle East/Northern African cuisines, and, so, it did not take long for us to check this place out.  We've never, actually, eaten in the restaurant.  However, we regularly call in an order for pickup.  They are pretty strict and it is just as well that they don't know that the infidels are having alcohol with their food.  On the front entrance of this restaurant is this sign,

If you are hungry and you have no money, your sandwich is free.

I should probably buy some Pending Sandwiches.

• Like 23

Good day!  Love the quote!  
congratulations Carol @mamaofami   What a great milestone!  My aunt and uncle celebrated 70!   That’s the highest I know!  
@VMax1700 glad your DW is feeling better! 

@smitty34877  I’m sorry people were so rude, I can’t believe what is happening.  We have protestors outside our hospitals while we are in the midst of the worst numbers of the whole pandemic.     It’s so disheartening! 
Thankfully looking at the birds keeps us a little saner.

BF36B948-4CF2-4AD1-B9FB-FA24F032598E.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

Geez, this is the second time I have done this.  One of two explanations, either I am losing my mind or our recent move to Ocracoke Island has made time stand still.  I am going with the latter.

Don’t feel badly, Kirk.  I did it one time too.

Had the day right at the top and the have a great “day” wrong.

I blame it on covid fatigue 😉 😇

• Like 9

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Exactly!  It looks more REAL!

Your photos are always great.

We use our Huawei Android mobile phones for all our photos and videos and every single post of mine on CC has been on my mobile.

I actually put 8lb in weight on during our cruise.😋😷

Graham.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

6 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

This map shows you Svalbard, where Longyearbyen is located.  You can see how far off the mainland of Norway it is and how close to the North Pole.  The Arctic ice cap is not that far off.

enhance

On August 11, 2016;, the day between our calls at Longyearbyen and Nu Alesund, Captain Tim Roberts took the Prinsendam as close to the polar ice cap as he could safely steer the ship. 

The previous few days, the wind was blowing the ice floes toward the ice cap, and he thought we would be able to get very close.  Unfortunately, overnight the wind changed directions and was blowing the floes away from the ice cap.  

We could only get as close as about five miles, but we could see the edge of the ice cap from the upper decks.  We were still about 500 miles or so from the North Pole.

The polar ice cap with the ice floes in front

DSC05843.thumb.JPG.9f2263787c09f0a39b781b26d9f40aef.JPG

DSC05850.thumb.JPG.690525ab3149ad3221670902309935c1.JPG

Later they lowered a tender so the photographers could take pictures of the ship, and bring back a chunk of ice.  This pictures give a better idea how far from the ice cap we were.

DSC05866.thumb.JPG.59d21ffa939b52122fcf33ad0106ae72.JPG

A group of walrus relaxing as we cruised toward the ice cap.

DSC05833.thumb.JPG.bd4b39074f8b7ec6dbea611ec8cf6119.JPG

Seals resting on an ice floe

DSC05859.thumb.JPG.4d2fcb43eb5625f1a99e323743070abc.JPG

Evidently, we had a couple of stowaways that day.  I guess they were trying to get warm.

DSC05832.thumb.JPG.e8c3766f80b523f64784a4ae82669a74.JPG

The ice chunk

DSC05874.thumb.JPG.e7a8e68fbf4f2e800a478383e37f8299.JPG

This was about as far north as we could sail

DSC05864.thumb.JPG.190ca2aefcbf127a94431b8579282cfb.JPG

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning everyone. Butterscotch pudding  is a favorite  here as DD makes it often from scratch.The recipe looks good and would make half of the group quite happy.The quote is a good one as well.

Thanks to all for their kind thoughts yesterday.  Tana and I had run into a situation  in a store that was just awful on Friday.We were standing together to pay for our coffee and a scary person began giving us both a hard time about wearing  masks. Tana uses portable  oxygen and was already slightly  short of breath and I could see she was really angry. I tried to just ignore the idiot but she didn't. Oh my. I had to pull a chair over for her and try to calm the situation. 

The other day @kazu said her tolerance  for stupid people is low.I understand  and concur.I am tired and sad to see people behave like this.

Anyway, I know we have a great deal to be grateful for and I want to believe that most people are kind. It is another day,the sun is out and there are good people on the Daily.

Terry

Sorry to hear you were harassed by one of those busybody self proclaimed mask police Terry.

I hope you are both okay now.

Graham.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@grapau27 thanks for your lovely photos and especially for the video - it's making me a little (well, a lot) jealous though, seeing your cabin, knowing it'll be more than a year till we get to experience one again.  I'm sure those 8 pounds will come off quickly once your bride puts you to work around the yard again!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Your photos are always great.

We use our Huawei Android mobile phones for all our photos and videos and every single post of mine on CC has been on my mobile.

I actually put 8lb in weight on during our cruise.😋😷

Graham.

Wow 8 pounds.  That must have been some good food and hard to resist.  Never fear it will peal off in no time.  I’m sure Pauline will see to that 😉 

Great video - thanks 🙂 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

@grapau27 thanks for your lovely photos and especially for the video - it's making me a little (well, a lot) jealous though, seeing your cabin, knowing it'll be more than a year till we get to experience one again.  I'm sure those 8 pounds will come off quickly once your bride puts you to work around the yard again!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Thanks Gerry for your nice words.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, kazu said:

Wow 8 pounds.  That must have been some good food and hard to resist.  Never fear it will peal off in no time.  I’m sure Pauline will see to that 😉 

Great video - thanks 🙂 

Thanks Jacqui.

I think the bottle of Sauvignon Blanc or Prosecco every night helped put on the weight as well as the fabulous food.

Graham.

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

18 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks Sandi.

We were in the main speciality restaurant 4 out of our 7 nights on board and the food was amazing.

Graham.

IMG_20210914_195357.jpg

I was on a cruise once and lost 4 pounds because the food was not very good.  Even the buffet.

It was a16 day Celebrity transatlantic.  Maybe they just had a bad Executive Chef that cruise.  I've noticed that can make a difference from one cruise to another.

• Like 10

Good afternoon.  This morning we decided to drive up to Ft. Worth and take our walk in one of the malls which was a lot cooler than the outside temperature.  We could not remember the last time we were there, but it was al least 2-3 years ago.  We decided we prefer the mall in Waco as it is less crowded and more people are masked.

It looks like it has been a busy day on the Daily.

@smitty34877  Terry, I sorry about the rude (to be polite) person the ohter day.  No one deserves that kind of treatment.  The world is just going nuts!.

@St. Louis Sal  Enjoy your afternoon at the theater.

@HAL4NOW  Great picture from your balcony.  Enjoy the cruise.

@garlictown  Love the t-shirt!  We all need a cruise.

@VMax1700  Your DW must be feeling better if she wants to go shopping.

@cat shepard I might have to try the bread recipe the next time the family is all together.

@aliaschief  What year did you take the Prinsendam to Spitzbergen?

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I also think the iPhone picture is better.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, good luck with the new dentist tomorrow.  Such sad news about your children's hospital.

@Vict0riann  Enjoy your visit with your American cousins and planning for your cruise.

@bennybear  I think that hawk is looking at you.

@grapau27  Graham, thanks for the pictures and especially the video of the cabin. 

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I was on a cruise once and lost 4 pounds because the food was not very good.  Even the buffet.

It was a16 day Celebrity transatlantic.  Maybe they just had a bad Executive Chef that cruise.  I've noticed that can make a difference from one cruise to another.

OMG you and I are in the same “boat”.  I lost 5 pounds on both a Celebrity and Princess cruise.  And yes, the food was unappetizing.  If I don’t like food, I don’t eat it.  By the time the waiters were back to see if we like the food the entire table was done so there was no way I would ask for anything else.

Quite a while ago but I didn’t need to lose any weight when I got back 😉   I usually don’t put on much over a pound on longer cruises as you know there’s a chance to have “more” or an “alternate choice” another night.

I admittedly pig out on the escargots 😉 

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I often put 4-7lbs on during a 7 night cruise but it usually disappears when I start eating porridge, muesli,fruit and veg when we get back home.

Graham.

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks Jacqui.

I think the bottle of Sauvignon Blanc or Prosecco every night helped put on the weight as well as the fabulous food.

Graham.

Nah - wine never puts weight on, Graham 😉. I’ll swear to that one 😇  and if some one says differently I’ll vehemently deny it 😇

• Like 6
  • Haha 9