Abbott Binax now home test to come back to US

hoosier2017

Scheduled to go on river cruise in November (fingers crossed).  Ending in Switzerland and staying a few extra days before flying home.  Interested to know if anyone has used the Abbott “diy” test with the app to re-enter the US and what your experience was.  Truly appreciate any assistance. 

We are currently on our Rhine cruise and are planning to use it prior to flying home. 

Many lines are performing the test for free for all passengers (did one yesterday), but like you, we are staying longer, so will need a repeat.

I’d wait a while to buy it.  Decent chance that only a vaccine card will be needed by then.

I am responding to this only to emphasize my understanding that there are two Abbott tests using the name BinaxNow.  There is a true, do-it-yourself at home, unproctored test called just BinaxNow.  That is not acceptable because it is not proctored.  Then there is the BinaxNow Ag card test, where you are proctored via phone or laptop or iPad.  Because it is proctored, it is acceptable.  Since the OP used the term DIY "with the app," I assume that he or she is referring to the proctored version.  Just trying to avoid any confusion from anybody reading this thread.

Tom & Judy

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mapsd said:

I’d wait a while to buy it.  Decent chance that only a vaccine card will be needed by then.

I hope you are right, but based on what?  November is less than two months away. The CDC hasn’t shown any signs of allowing fully vaccinated Americans to fly back into our own country without getting tested first. Again, I hope you are right! 

1 hour ago, TFree said:

I am responding to this only to emphasize my understanding that there are two Abbott tests using the name BinaxNow.  There is a true, do-it-yourself at home, unproctored test called just BinaxNow.  That is not acceptable because it is not proctored.  Then there is the BinaxNow Ag card test, where you are proctored via phone or laptop or iPad.  Because it is proctored, it is acceptable.  Since the OP used the term DIY "with the app," I assume that he or she is referring to the proctored version.  Just trying to avoid any confusion from anybody reading this thread.

Tom & Judy

The ones we purchased are also the proctored ones, that we would use through the app. 

We used them last week. We spent two days in Munich after departing Crystal Ravel in Vilshofen, and on Sunday afternoon before a Tuesday morning flight back to the US, we did the tests in the hotel room. I had no problem using my IPad, but my husband could not connect with his Mac; he kept being looped back to the same page. He finally called the help number on the package, and was told that his browser was incompatible with the software the company uses. He then borrowed the IPad and got through. It takes about 30 minutes, all told. We uploaded the results to United, but still had to show them on our phones when we checked in. 

Edited by J80crew

One thing to keep in mind is the size of the boxes. We are generally light packers, usually bringing one roll aboard size suitcase per person and one personal bag per person (backpack or purse) for most any trip. We already had some extra items that needed to come on this trip, and then the tests arrived in the mail and we had to factor those in as well. We brought along 6 tests, and each is a bit larger than a boxed VCR tape. You can’t consolidate them by unpacking the boxes, as each box must be opened when instructed by the person on the app at the start of the test. 
We still didn’t do too bad on the packing, with each bringing one 30” rolling duffle and one personal bag, (about 27 pounds each), but still more than we usually like to have to allow us to get around easy.  

I ordered 6 for our upcoming trip to France (Oct) and Germany (Dec).  Per the latest news from today it seems like a test will be required to come back home for awhile.  It took 2 days to get it approved by a medical professional and it was shipped overnight by FedEx.  Yes they are huge boxes and we plan to take all 6 just in case 1 test is bad or we test positive and need to test again a couple days later.  I feel safer taking this test over the cruise ship because if I do test positive I will want to quarantine on MY terms.  However these tests are most likely to come back negative which is why we're using these and cheaper.   I don't know any ship that's been giving out free tests because they don't test themselves they use local medical staff to do that.

Edited by anthonyy7

5 minutes ago, anthonyy7 said:

I don't know any ship that's been giving out free tests because they don't test themselves they use local medical staff to do that.

You'll have to confirm with @terry&mike, but I believe Scenic is doing the tests for free.  I know (as of now) Avalon is also providing free PCR tests for returning.

5 hours ago, ncmom1 said:

I am using the Binax Now Ag Card test to fly through London Heathrow.  Has anyone done that and was it accepted?

Binax test is a lateral flow test and is accepted by the UK govt for transit.  I looked into this when we were originating flying British Airways.  However it seems starting Oct 4 a pre departure test is no longer required for VAX passengers flying to or through the England. 

On 9/20/2021 at 8:30 PM, Daisi said:

You'll have to confirm with @terry&mike, but I believe Scenic is doing the tests for free.  I know (as of now) Avalon is also providing free PCR tests for returning.

Scenic did a free PCR test for all passengers on 2nd to last day fo free.

We just did our proctored antigen test this morning since we added post days.

Worked well on iPad with Safari, but not on Chrome.

• 4 weeks later...

Just off the AmaKristina and they scheduled PCR tests for 9 individuals.  They absolutely did not do antigen testing.  We used our Binax tests after dinner on Monday for Thursdays flight.  Someone connected instantly and after the 15 min wait the results was negative.   Easy, time saving, and cheaper than the alternatives. 

On 9/19/2021 at 4:24 PM, J80crew said:

We used them last week. We spent two days in Munich after departing Crystal Ravel in Vilshofen, and on Sunday afternoon before a Tuesday morning flight back to the US, we did the tests in the hotel room. I had no problem using my IPad, but my husband could not connect with his Mac; he kept being looped back to the same page. He finally called the help number on the package, and was told that his browser was incompatible with the software the company uses. He then borrowed the IPad and got through. It takes about 30 minutes, all told. We uploaded the results to United, but still had to show them on our phones when we checked in. 

What browser was he using?