Iona - Just off

TravelMadBrits

Sailed 11th September in a conservatory mini suite.

We have previously sailed with P&O a couple of times, otherwise lots on Royal so not new to cruising.

Parking - left it too late however managed on the morning due to a glitch in CPS system and they honoured it.  Valet parking, no issues, very good.

Testing - we had a boarding time of 11.45 so arrived at the drive in testing at 11.30, quite a few in front.  They started the testing at 11.45 and it was super quick.  We didn't realise you have to leave the gate area and go back along the main road and into the Ocean terminal. By the time we got to CPS parking our texts had come in so all good.

Embarcation - didn't take too long.  We were the first lot to board, this was about 12.50pm and they were checking that only the 11.45am people were going through.  So from when we started at the testing centre to getting on board was 1 hour 20 mins so not bad (we didn't think).  Rooms available at 1.30pm.

Conservatory Mini Suite - we had room 9515 with a corner balcony which we spent quite a bit of time on as weather amazing.  Champagne in fridge, The White Room toiletries gift set, chocolates.  Also had an invite for lunch for that day so we went - buffet style with complimentary drinks - all very nice and unexpected.  We used the conservatory mostly in the mornings and it was a lovely space.

The App - overall it was fine, only one day it didn't work.  Managed to booked the entertainment and a couple of restaurants when we first got on board.  The main dining rooms virtual queues open on the day - we didn't have an issue waiting any longer than 10 minutes and we ate at different times.  The good thing was 'my diary' which showed you everything you had booked for the day (my bookings didn't list in date order) and you can cancel anything easily.  Drinks menus for each bars was on there.  Also booked the internet just to use WhatsApp messaging - one day it was down but we got a refund after letting guest services know.  Really good to see what you have spent too.  

One thing we found strange - wanted a drink at The Glass House - plenty of tables free and was asked if we had booked a table - no - so then was asked to join the virtual queue.  We did that in front of the staff member and then he said OK I'll take you to your table... not sure the point but hey ho.

Restaurants - we booked Epicurean on day one.  It was ok - and was only half price which we hadn't seen mentioned but came through on the bill on app as half price.

We loved The Olive Grove - most things complimentary, the food was great and nice area.  The Beach House too we tried one evening - probably more of a lunch thing for  us and we found a bit strange as it was part of The Quays area but staff were great.  We missed Chefs Table on the 'celebration' night.  Couldn't find out where to book it and this apparently is only part of The Beach House, but we may not have looked in the right place.  The dining room we used was Coral - a couple of times it wasn't too exciting but the staff and food quality was excellent - tried for dinner and breakfast.  Tried The Glass House and that was very good.  The Quays was standard buffet with good choice.  We liked Horizon with the different areas and this was really quiet for breakfast (also used on last morning before leaving and it was still quiet).  

Husband is wheat intolerant and there is a fantastic choice for gluten free food - and if in the dining room they let you book the following evening food and you could decide if it was for you or not.

Pools - loved the infinity pools but it was busy, back to back sun loungers and a lot of people left their towels there (and other areas) for a very long time without going back.  Little hot tubs on the side were fun to try.  We didn't go much in the covered dome pool area, it was too nice to be inside.

Tried the tennis which was great.  

Bars overall excellent.  We didn't go for the drinks package as a lot of drinks we like were outside of the pricing and we thought not great to pay for the whole drink rather than the difference.  Shame your drinks choices are limited per bar ie you can't get a mojito at all the bars but that wasn't a big issue.

Covid felt very safe - probs safer than back home!  Mask wearing wasn't an issue, everything cleaned down - we saw teams in the early morning cleaning every sun bed.  We missed no dancing or singing - shame because the shows were great.  

Sonia the singer from the 80's was on board, Tucker the comedian was good, Ben McBean a former Royal Marine who lost his arm and leg in Afghanistan gave a very moving talk.

Anyway had a fab time, very relaxed and spoilt with the weather, not to mention 1 whale and a lot of dolphins!

Happy to try and answer any questions.

Claudine

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

We were on the same cruise.  Very enjoyable.

We managed to book Chef's table via the app.  It appeared on the app the day before in the morning.  Maybe it was fully booked by the time you looked for it.  The menu was basically a gala/celebration menu, with recommendations of wines to match each course.  We chose matched wines, but only one large glass for the whole meal.  Everyone was dressed up for the event.  Being in the Horizon made everything feel a bit more relaxed than a typical formal night in the MDR.  Would certainly do that again as we quite enjoyed the relaxed but still formal atmosphere.

We did the Limelight Club on the first night, and we were only charged for one.  We expected to be billed for two, as there was no mention that it was half price on the first night when we booked.  Not complaining though!  Although Sonia's music is not my cup of tea, at least she was someone I remembered.  Nonetheless I thought she was very good.  The food in the Limelight was very good as well.  The menu was better imho than that at Chef's Table.

We found the app useful, though at times I felt that the whole booking dining and entertainment to take away the element of spontanaiety.  That said we were able to reschedule a theatre booking to fit in with what we wanted to do once the next day's Horizon had been delivered.

Thought the Olive Grove was a good place to eat in the evening.  The other nights we just turned up at either the Pearl or Coral restaurants and got a table straight away each time with no booking or virtual queuing.

We weren't tempted by the guest speakers during the day, and did most of the themed quizzes.  As there were no art classes or proper ballroom dancing classes we found the days a bit empty.  However it was a rare cruise where we had a balcony cabin and so got to make good use of it chilling out, and in my case reading a book from the ship's library.  Which was just a well as come 18:00 onwards we found ourselves rushing around from venue to venue!

And the one evening I went to the late night buffet, they had doner kebabs!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Issyalex said:

Where/what dock did you have to go for your pre boarding covid test? 

We arrived by taxi, so went straight to Ocean terminal.  Drop off your luggage at the appropriate hole in the wall for your cabin and join the queue for testing.  We were led round the side of the building into the luggage hall where the testing stations were all set up, after that you go back outside to go in through main departures door and upstairs to wait for your test result before checking in.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Issyalex said:

Where/what dock did you have to go for your pre boarding covid test? 

Hi

If driving I’m sure it was gate 12 - it is in an Information email from P&O which is quite long but tells you where to go if driving or being dropped off. 
For the drive in testing it felt like we were driving forever down a long road to nowhere but there are staff in jackets along the route waving you on. We and a few others were confused as to where to go afterwards. If you don’t leave the dock area back on to the main road and tempted to try and keep inside the docks area, you will get caught in another cruise line testing area (Celebrity we saw). 
It was a short drive to join the right gate to the Ocean terminal and signposted well. 

• Like 1

Iona Atrium - I guess we won't see any Captains chats and introducing senior officers on formal nights. Apart from there being nowhere for a good chunk of 5200 people to stand and listen. The oval shaped holes in the atrium just do not have enough standing space along the rails. Disrupting the revenue earning space of the Keel & Cow and Glass House would not be good. so I guess it is an announcement from the bridge.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TravelMadBrits said:

Hi

If driving I’m sure it was gate 12 - it is in an Information email from P&O which is quite long but tells you where to go if driving or being dropped off. 
For the drive in testing it felt like we were driving forever down a long road to nowhere but there are staff in jackets along the route waving you on. We and a few others were confused as to where to go afterwards. If you don’t leave the dock area back on to the main road and tempted to try and keep inside the docks area, you will get caught in another cruise line testing area (Celebrity we saw). 
It was a short drive to join the right gate to the Ocean terminal and signposted well. 

If there's only 1 carnival ship in it's easier to use dock gate 10, go right at the roundabout, straight past the horizon terminal and you will see the white tent on the left hand side, it is signposted as well 

46 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Iona Atrium - I guess we won't see any Captains chats and introducing senior officers on formal nights. Apart from there being nowhere for a good chunk of 5200 people to stand and listen. The oval shaped holes in the atrium just do not have enough standing space along the rails. Disrupting the revenue earning space of the Keel & Cow and Glass House would not be good. so I guess it is an announcement from the bridge.

The captain announced that due to Covid measures he won’t be walking around with his senior officers and were keeping to their ‘bubble’ but he made daily 6pm announcements. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, TravelMadBrits said:

Claudine

We were on the same trip, and agree with many of the comments.
The app, though, was very variable.  On the first day, we joined a breakfast queue for Aqua at about 8am and there were three people ahead of us.  We went to wait in Andersons which is next to it, and finally reached the head of the queue at 9:10.  We could see people walking into Aqua and did not believe all of them had booked, so we went up and we were just waived into the restaurant.  We were served breakfast, but still showing as in the queue.  Something similar happened on the last day: we were waved in and served, while still eleventh in the queue.

We spoke to a few people who had not bothered with the virtual queue at all: they simply turned up "and had never waited more than ten minutes."  P+O really needs to think through how the relationship between physical queueing and virtual queueing is supposed to work.

We also booked some things in the Spa, which did not appear in the app in the diary.  Again, more thought need in what the app is supposed to do.

Otherwise, I think P+O have improved many things greatly.  The standard of food over our last few trips has been declining each time.  This was a big step up in quality.  I hope it was a new standard they are aiming at, not just a side effect of fewer people on the ship.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

We were on the same cruise.  Very enjoyable.

We managed to book Chef's table via the app.  It appeared on the app the day before in the morning.  Maybe it was fully booked by the time you looked for it.  The menu was basically a gala/celebration menu

Because we had been warned about it getting booked up, we went up the the "Help Desk" within about half an hour of boarding - even before unpacking - and booked the Chef's Table, without a problem.  

I did ask some people how the menu differed in the MDRs but did not get a full answer.  I gather lobster was an option, but do not know if the whole "Chef's Table" menu was.

20210919-iona-0005.jpg

20210919-iona-0007.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, WestonOne said:

Because we had been warned about it getting booked up, we went up the the "Help Desk" within about half an hour of boarding - even before unpacking - and booked the Chef's Table, without a problem.  

I did ask some people how the menu differed in the MDRs but did not get a full answer.  I gather lobster was an option, but do not know if the whole "Chef's Table" menu was.

20210919-iona-0005.jpg

20210919-iona-0007.jpg

Thanks for posting. Looks pretty much like a standard formal night menu minus a sorbet, plus an amuse bouche. I must say that I really don't get the whole Chef's Table concept on Iona. Other lines use the same name for a very special meal, hosted by the Chef for a very small number of people at a somewhat high cost.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, WestonOne said:

We were on the same trip, and agree with many of the comments.
The app, though, was very variable.  On the first day, we joined a breakfast queue for Aqua at about 8am and there were three people ahead of us.  We went to wait in Andersons which is next to it, and finally reached the head of the queue at 9:10.  We could see people walking into Aqua and did not believe all of them had booked, so we went up and we were just waived into the restaurant.  We were served breakfast, but still showing as in the queue.  Something similar happened on the last day: we were waved in and served, while still eleventh in the queue.

We spoke to a few people who had not bothered with the virtual queue at all: they simply turned up "and had never waited more than ten minutes."  P+O really needs to think through how the relationship between physical queueing and virtual queueing is supposed to work.

We also booked some things in the Spa, which did not appear in the app in the diary.  Again, more thought need in what the app is supposed to do.

Otherwise, I think P+O have improved many things greatly.  The standard of food over our last few trips has been declining each time.  This was a big step up in quality.  I hope it was a new standard they are aiming at, not just a side effect of fewer people on the ship.

Apart from the final evening which we booked a specific time for, we didn't bother we the virtual queues.  We simply bellied up to  whichever MDR we wanted to use and were given a table straight away.  We half expected to get a pager each time but didn't.  May well be different when Iona is sailing with 5000 pax on board.

• Like 1

Just now, Britboys said:

Thanks for posting. Looks pretty much like a standard formal night menu minus a sorbet, plus an amuse bouche. I must say that I really don't get the whole Chef's Table concept on Iona. Other lines use the same name for a very special meal, hosted by the Chef for a very small number of people at a somewhat high cost.

That sums up what we thought.  However we found the ambience to be a sort of relaxed formal, which we enjoyed.  The meal itself was good, though I felt that we had a better meal in the Limelight Club earlier that week.  We would give it a go again though.

5 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

That sums up what we thought.  However we found the ambience to be a sort of relaxed formal, which we enjoyed.  The meal itself was good, though I felt that we had a better meal in the Limelight Club earlier that week.  We would give it a go again though.

Glad you enjoyed it. Not something I'm ever likely to sign up for or experience.... Quite happy to have the formal night dinner in the mdr.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I agree as well.  This is why I am interested in what was being served in the main dining rooms.  Was it essentially the same, or are we heading towards a 'gala dinner' for those who want it, with a non-gala in the MDR?

We didn't try Limelight!

58 minutes ago, WestonOne said:

I agree as well.  This is why I am interested in what was being served in the main dining rooms.  Was it essentially the same, or are we heading towards a 'gala dinner' for those who want it, with a non-gala in the MDR?

We didn't try Limelight!

It will be interesting to see if this format of Chef's Table is rolled out to the rest of the fleet in due course.  If they completely remove gala dinners in the MDR, we would probably start giving more consideration to other lines.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

...If they completely remove gala dinners in the MDR, we would probably start giving more consideration to other lines.

It would probably be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me...

On 9/19/2021 at 1:27 PM, TravelMadBrits said:

We have previously sailed with P&O a couple of times, otherwise lots on Royal so not new to cruising.

Parking - left it too late however managed on the morning due to a glitch in CPS system and they honoured it.  Valet parking, no issues, very good.

Testing - we had a boarding time of 11.45 so arrived at the drive in testing at 11.30, quite a few in front.  They started the testing at 11.45 and it was super quick.  We didn't realise you have to leave the gate area and go back along the main road and into the Ocean terminal. By the time we got to CPS parking our texts had come in so all good.

Embarcation - didn't take too long.  We were the first lot to board, this was about 12.50pm and they were checking that only the 11.45am people were going through.  So from when we started at the testing centre to getting on board was 1 hour 20 mins so not bad (we didn't think).  Rooms available at 1.30pm.

Conservatory Mini Suite - we had room 9515 with a corner balcony which we spent quite a bit of time on as weather amazing.  Champagne in fridge, The White Room toiletries gift set, chocolates.  Also had an invite for lunch for that day so we went - buffet style with complimentary drinks - all very nice and unexpected.  We used the conservatory mostly in the mornings and it was a lovely space.

The App - overall it was fine, only one day it didn't work.  Managed to booked the entertainment and a couple of restaurants when we first got on board.  The main dining rooms virtual queues open on the day - we didn't have an issue waiting any longer than 10 minutes and we ate at different times.  The good thing was 'my diary' which showed you everything you had booked for the day (my bookings didn't list in date order) and you can cancel anything easily.  Drinks menus for each bars was on there.  Also booked the internet just to use WhatsApp messaging - one day it was down but we got a refund after letting guest services know.  Really good to see what you have spent too.  

One thing we found strange - wanted a drink at The Glass House - plenty of tables free and was asked if we had booked a table - no - so then was asked to join the virtual queue.  We did that in front of the staff member and then he said OK I'll take you to your table... not sure the point but hey ho.

Restaurants - we booked Epicurean on day one.  It was ok - and was only half price which we hadn't seen mentioned but came through on the bill on app as half price.

We loved The Olive Grove - most things complimentary, the food was great and nice area.  The Beach House too we tried one evening - probably more of a lunch thing for  us and we found a bit strange as it was part of The Quays area but staff were great.  We missed Chefs Table on the 'celebration' night.  Couldn't find out where to book it and this apparently is only part of The Beach House, but we may not have looked in the right place.  The dining room we used was Coral - a couple of times it wasn't too exciting but the staff and food quality was excellent - tried for dinner and breakfast.  Tried The Glass House and that was very good.  The Quays was standard buffet with good choice.  We liked Horizon with the different areas and this was really quiet for breakfast (also used on last morning before leaving and it was still quiet).  

Husband is wheat intolerant and there is a fantastic choice for gluten free food - and if in the dining room they let you book the following evening food and you could decide if it was for you or not.

Pools - loved the infinity pools but it was busy, back to back sun loungers and a lot of people left their towels there (and other areas) for a very long time without going back.  Little hot tubs on the side were fun to try.  We didn't go much in the covered dome pool area, it was too nice to be inside.

Tried the tennis which was great.  

Bars overall excellent.  We didn't go for the drinks package as a lot of drinks we like were outside of the pricing and we thought not great to pay for the whole drink rather than the difference.  Shame your drinks choices are limited per bar ie you can't get a mojito at all the bars but that wasn't a big issue.

Covid felt very safe - probs safer than back home!  Mask wearing wasn't an issue, everything cleaned down - we saw teams in the early morning cleaning every sun bed.  We missed no dancing or singing - shame because the shows were great.  

Sonia the singer from the 80's was on board, Tucker the comedian was good, Ben McBean a former Royal Marine who lost his arm and leg in Afghanistan gave a very moving talk.

Anyway had a fab time, very relaxed and spoilt with the weather, not to mention 1 whale and a lot of dolphins!

Happy to try and answer any questions.

Claudine

Nice report Claudine.

We were in Epicurean days 1,2,4 and 7 at 6.15pm on the same cruise as you.

We asked at the holiday app desk for deals on Epicurean when we got on the ship at 13.15pm and got day 1 and 2 at half price.

Graham.

IMG_20210911_192504.jpg

IMG_20210914_195357.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 6

19 hours ago, WestonOne said:

20210919-iona-0005.jpg

20210919-iona-0007.jpg

Thanks for sharing. In the MDR it was slightly different - no beef Wellington but beef fillet (or similar) and with plain roast potatoes and I’m sure there were slight variations on a starter and deserts that we had. Nothing major but I think your menu was more appealing, to me anyway. 
In the centrum there was a ‘help’ station someone sorting out app queries etc on most days. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, TravelMadBrits said:

Thanks for sharing. In the MDR it was slightly different - no beef Wellington but beef fillet (or similar) and with plain roast potatoes and I’m sure there were slight variations on a starter and deserts that we had. Nothing major but I think your menu was more appealing, to me anyway. 
In the centrum there was a ‘help’ station someone sorting out app queries etc on most days. 

Well, I do hope that this 'downgraded' menu is specifically for Iona and doesn't get introduced across the fleet. I would very much miss my Beef Wellington. Beef fillet and roast spuds is just glorified Sunday Lunch...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Just remembered, whilst we were on board last week, we didn't see any photographers.  Not complaining.  Not even doing the dreaded just off the gangway pics, nor the staged photos on gala/celebration evening.

Did anyone come across any ship's photograhers?

No photographers on Iona last week or on Britannia 22-26 August.

Graham.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1