Iona - Just off

TravelMadBrits

17 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading these various posts and looking at the photographs,  and people seem to have had a good time. 

However,  am I the only one who now feels more than ever that Iona is not for me !

I cannot wait, unfortunately I have 4 Ventura cruises and 2 Aurora ones to take first. Then on Iona March 23.

Take me cruising, any ship will do. Or is that dream.

• Like 2

Just now, daiB said:

I cannot wait, unfortunately I have 4 Ventura cruises and 2 Aurora ones to take first. Then on Iona March 23.

Take me cruising, any ship will do. Or is that dream.

Sure you have enough cruises booked up there Dai, not perhaps a little short on an extra cruise or 3😀. Enjoy them all!

50 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading these various posts and looking at the photographs,  and people seem to have had a good time. 

However,  am I the only one who now feels more than ever that Iona is not for me !

No you're not but thankfully P&O do have other ships that we can enjoy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Totally agree. Iona not for me either, but am really appreciating and enjoying everyone’s thoughts, reviews and photos.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Not at all. I was always going to be difficult to convince but I totally agree with you. I've now seen lots of photos and some comprehensive video-tours and that's enough for me to know that I won't sail on her - not even tempted to think about about a 3 or 4 nighter if they do them...

I am pleased to see that plenty of folks are enjoying her though.

Edited by Britboys
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

Not at all. I was always going to be difficult to convince but I totally agree with you. I've now seen lots of photos and some comprehensive video-tours and that's enough for me to know that I won't sail on her - not even tempted to think about about a 3 or 4 nighter if they do them...

I am pleased to see that plenty of folks are enjoying her though.

Agreed

It's cruising but not as we know it. Some very good information has come out, as you say, sufficient for us to opt out of the new giant ships, and probably move to another line.

I hope P&O make a success of their new direction to attract more families and younger clientele. They have given us some wonderful holidays and unforgettable memories from destinations worldwide.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, jake 26 said:

Agreed

It's cruising but not as we know it. Some very good information has come out, as you say, sufficient for us to opt out of the new giant ships, and probably move to another line.

I hope P&O make a success of their new direction to attract more families and younger clientele. They have given us some wonderful holidays and unforgettable memories from destinations worldwide.

Glad you’ve found the info helpful 😎

For us the attraction was timing (first cruise for 23 months & a staycation) and a new ship / new cabin type with the conservatory. Oh and a child free cruise!

If we were cruising regularly again I wouldn’t chose this ship again unless a 2-3 night to Bruges or similar. As for families - very young may be ok but I think for children 11+ they would be bored. My teen certainly would be. 
So glad we tried & the weather made a huge difference but there were things just not for us. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TravelMadBrits said:

Glad you’ve found the info helpful 😎

For us the attraction was timing (first cruise for 23 months & a staycation) and a new ship / new cabin type with the conservatory. Oh and a child free cruise!

If we were cruising regularly again I wouldn’t chose this ship again unless a 2-3 night to Bruges or similar. As for families - very young may be ok but I think for children 11+ they would be bored. My teen certainly would be. 
So glad we tried & the weather made a huge difference but there were things just not for us. 

There seemed to be very little in amenities to keep kids entertained.

That's what I think about P&O ships. I find Royal Caribbean are better geared up for younger children and teenagers. I think P&O seem to lay the emphasis on kids cllubs which not all kids like, some would rather be engaged in more adventurous things like the climbing walls, flumes and flow riders etc that feature on RC ships. 

• Like 2

Which is exactly why we eschew RC and are loyal to Pando & Cunard, and outside school holidays whenever possible. We don't have children and have no interest in other people's. There are plenty of opportunities for families to enjoy the cruising experience, but a child free cruise is our idea of heaven.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Technoman2 said:

A quick question for the guys who have just come off Iona, can you order drinks or take drinks into theatre or entertainment venues if not can you take a bottle of water? Thanks

No drinks allowed or sold in the theatre.

We bought drinks in the Dome at night while watching an Adele tribute act.

Graham.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Red Ray said:

Which is exactly why we eschew RC and are loyal to Pando & Cunard, and outside school holidays whenever possible. We don't have children and have no interest in other people's. There are plenty of opportunities for families to enjoy the cruising experience, but a child free cruise is our idea of heaven.

That’s fair enough and completely understandable. I’m the same with dogs - don’t have them and have no interest in other people’s! But it’s getting increasingly difficult to find eateries which don’t have ‘Dogs Welcome’ in the window. We actually went out for a meal about a fortnight ago and were shown to a table next to a couple with 2 dogs under their table. I immediately asked for another table elsewhere and luckily there was one available or we would have walked away.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Pie Eater said:

Hi Graham

When Pauline and yourself where on Iona, being on deck10 did you hear any noise from the Club house two decks below, as we are on Ariva  deck10 also aft early 2023.

Thanking you Joe. 

Yes but it wasn't very loud.

We heard it more when we sat on the balcony but it stopped at midnight.

We were in cabin 10719 which was several cabins past the aft lifts.

Edited by grapau27

On 9/21/2021 at 2:01 PM, wowzz said:

We decided that Iona is too big for us

and seeing the photos has only reinforced our decision that it is not for us so you are not alone. 

• Like 2

On 9/20/2021 at 7:58 AM, TravelMadBrits said:

Hi

If driving I’m sure it was gate 12 - it is in an Information email from P&O which is quite long but tells you where to go if driving or being dropped off. 
For the drive in testing it felt like we were driving forever down a long road to nowhere but there are staff in jackets along the route waving you on. We and a few others were confused as to where to go afterwards. If you don’t leave the dock area back on to the main road and tempted to try and keep inside the docks area, you will get caught in another cruise line testing area (Celebrity we saw). 
It was a short drive to join the right gate to the Ocean terminal and signposted well. 

Thanks for the info TMB 

On 9/19/2021 at 11:08 PM, Son of Anarchy said:

We arrived by taxi, so went straight to Ocean terminal.  Drop off your luggage at the appropriate hole in the wall for your cabin and join the queue for testing.  We were led round the side of the building into the luggage hall where the testing stations were all set up, after that you go back outside to go in through main departures door and upstairs to wait for your test result before checking in.

Thanks. Our TA is on Britannia just now and phoned me to tell me, as we’re not using CPS parking,  we can park our car and go direct to Oceania terminal for our LFT.

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/21/2021 at 2:01 PM, wowzz said:

I wrote an extended blog on another site.  I am not sure how well links work, but try this:

Cruising on P&O’s Iona, avoiding covid-19, September 2021 - A Cruise Ship Adventures Journal (quora.com)

• Thanks 1

Hi, some great comments. I am on her next Saturday. Just wondering whether to pack hubby the usual tuxedo or just a suit? We will book Chefs table if we can as I too love the beef Wellington but if it is a bit more informal on Iona don't want hubby to feel overdressed

1 hour ago, Teabelly69 said:

Hi, some great comments. I am on her next Saturday. Just wondering whether to pack hubby the usual tuxedo or just a suit? We will book Chefs table if we can as I too love the beef Wellington but if it is a bit more informal on Iona don't want hubby to feel overdressed

I wore a tux to the Chef's Table, as did a lot of others - more than half, I would say.

Edited by WestonOne
clarification