Am I the only one that doesn't care about WiFi?

2chiefs

There is so much talk about wifi availability, costs, etc. on these threads, it amazes me that there is such a need (or desire) for wifi while cruising.

I do understand however, the need to stay in touch with relatives in special cases, etc.  I can understand needing to stay in touch on long cruises, family issues or even work for the younger folks still working.

Personally, we like to lock up our phones in the safe while on a cruise and disconnect from the outside world and enjoy our vacation. We typically take cruises that are shorter 7 to 14 days in length. We don't bring computers or tablets with us.

Disclaimer: Pre-cruise, I do love to read live reviews from the ship from those that like to submit them. However, I personally would rather spend my time doing other things on the cruise than reporting and posting pictures. But for those that do, thank you.

I thought might be a fun thread to hear from others how they feel about wifi and how they use it on the ship.

• Like 7

Not a fan of wifi either but with a granddaughter still in school we need a computer to check in at least every other day to see what is going on.  Being home schooled is a huge plus but still need those few minutes to log on to school site.  Just phone for camera while on our cruise vacations.

3 minutes ago, 2chiefs said:

Personally, we like to lock up our phones in the safe while on a cruise and disconnect from the outside world and enjoy our vacation. We typically take cruises that are shorter 7 to 14 days in length. We don't bring computers or tablets with us.

Same here.  Phones get turned off and put into the safe for the duration of the cruise.

• Like 4

On my recent cruise on Freedom of The Seas the regular wifi was so iffy and spotty I really needed the more expensive wifi + streaming.  I'm not sure I'm willing to pay the additional fee.  As I get one free wifi day with my C&A benefits, I think I'll stick with that for now and leave my devices in the safe for the non-wifi days. 

FWIW, I would likely not pay for WiFi to amuse y'all 

But I did pay half price for those two days on Allure test cruise.

As far as locking phone in safe. Doubtful, this is now my camera of choice. And on today's cruising environment, you 'need' it for menu's and such

• Like 5

I get what you’re saying. It’s almost a necessity for my family BUT the prices are getting ridiculous. Royal wants $440 for 4 devices on our Ovation cruise next May.  

We like that the kids can text us and check in through iMessage when we are not together. Replaces the walkie talkies I suppose.

If my kids were grown I would be right there with you and locking that darn phone in the safe for the week. 

We get free WiFi (suite), but really don't use it.  As soon as we get onboard we'll put our phones in the safe.  However, daily, (we are business owners), we will check to see if there are any phone calls or messages from work.  We actually do give our business employees, as well as the kennel where we have our pups boarded, the emergency number to the ship so they can contact us when we don't have our phones available.  

10 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

<<<SNIP>>>

As far as locking phone in safe. Doubtful, this is now my camera of choice. And on today's cruising environment, you 'need' it for menu's and such

I use an inexpensive point & shoot camera that's smaller and fits in my pocket better than my phone. It also has a mechanical zoom lens that is better for distance shots than my phone would handle well. Otherwise, the phone actually takes as good as or better pictures than the point & shoot.

Edited by 2chiefs
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, shippmates said:

We lock our phone in the safe as soon as we get out to sea.  Take it with us in ports to use the free wifi to check on our family.

We've done that too. Sallie needs to check in on her 94 year old mother on occasion. Sometimes she will get the phone out of the safe to call her from a port where calls would be included on our plan (IE: USVI).

2 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Are you the only one? Probably not.

Unless you're paying my bills, you do you and don't worry about me. Too simple.

Who said I was worrying about you?

I was just trying to start an interesting conversation.

Sheeez

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 2chiefs said:

Who said I was worrying about you?

I was just trying to start an interesting conversation.

Sheeez

You're right. My bad.

What do I use wifi for?

Stream Sirius XM for music in my room, local news from back home, maybe a race or NFL chat.

Surf the net

wifi calling

Maybe Facetime if I've got the grandkids with us.

Electronic banking

keep in touch with the pet sitter

Used to skim e-mails from work (when I worked) just in case my co-workers need help with anything. Also, so I didn't come back to 3000 e-mails waiting for me

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, 2chiefs said:

I use an inexpensive point & shoot camera that's smaller and fits in my pocket better than my phone. It also has a mechanical zoom lens that is better for distance shots than my phone would handle well. Otherwise, the phone actually takes as good as or better pictures than the point & shoot.

I used to use a little Nikon, but the editing features are more sophisticated on my phone

• Like 2

100% with you.  We are always on our phones at home, personal or work that when we go on a cruise, phones go in the safe.  We never purchase the internet package and that would be a negative thing for me as without it, we really get quality family time together.  I agree that I love reading other's live reports and good that some don't mind but for me, I take lots of photos (with an actual camera) and then write the review/report after the fact.

I guess going forward we will have to use the wifi (not internet) just to access the menus and planner ...and guess then, it may as well double as my camera, (but if they still have a paper planner, then I will be carrying that around).

Edited by LuCruise

4 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

You're right. My bad.

What do I use wifi for?

Stream Sirius XM for music in my room, local news from back home, maybe a race or NFL chat.

Surf the net

wifi calling

Maybe Facetime if I've got the grandkids with us.

Electronic banking

keep in touch with the pet sitter

Used to skim e-mails from work (when I worked) just in case my co-workers need help with anything. Also, so I didn't come back to 3000 e-mails waiting for me

No worries....

Ah, the ol' 3000 email pile up. I hated those.

Not so bad now that I'm retired. The biggest pile ups now are junk mail.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

<<<SNIP>>>

I guess going forward we will have to use the wifi (not internet) just to access the menus and planner (but if they still have a paper planner, then I will be carrying that around.

Yeah, I'm getting the feeling everyone will need wifi on the ship eventually. Then maybe the prices will drop? LOL

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2chiefs said:

Yeah, I'm getting the feeling everyone will need wifi on the ship eventually. Then maybe the prices will drop? LOL

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but ship wifi is free (i.e. to access the Royal app)....but internet to access outside, emails, etc is what you need to pay.

• Like 1

I love having wifi on the ship. I make and receive calls with wifi calling.  I can send and receive texts from friends, family and work. I can post to my photo stream and share my vacation, in real time, with my family back home. I can deal with financial matters that came up unexpectedly through my online banking and I have the assurance, should an emergency arise, I'm still in communication with the people I need to be to deal, expeditiously, with something should it happen.  The idea of unplugging to relax sounds weird to me.  I enjoy being connected. Being disconnected sounds stressful to me.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

We pay for it, but then we do still use it a lot. I don't necessarily have my phone on me constantly but I do like to be able to keep in touch, check the news, weather, etc. We also take a Bluetooth speaker with us and stream music. Nothing beats a glass of wine on the balcony of the room, watching the sun go down with some music on in the background. Plus maybe having a quieter evening and getting pizza from Sorrentos and watching a film on Netflix, again relaxing on the balcony. 

It's worth it for us, but everyone is different 😀

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but ship wifi is free (i.e. to access the Royal app)....but internet to access outside, emails, etc is what you need to pay.

Correct and that is all you need if you only want to access the Royal app and menu's and things like that.  No internet required.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Walking around the ship I see a lot of people who haven't locked their phones away. I carry mine, the app is improved, and it's my camera. I do not log in to my work email. We are big baseball fans and the streaming package is pretty good for watching through the MLB app. (some buffering on Adventure, worked well on Ovation). 

• Like 1

I use WiFi for my iPad.  I read on it and can download new books, read things I follow, look up the next port - weather and things to do.  I have 2 email addresses, one that only family and close friends have.  I read those.  The other gets ignored.  I sometimes read CC to see if anyone is on with me or to answer questions.  I lock the phone up.  I can’t take decent pictures to save my life, so I’ve given up.