Am I the only one that doesn't care about WiFi?

2chiefs

I always stayed 100% disconnected until I had a house for sale and needed to stay in touch during one cruise.  I still keep it to a minimum; on the Mardi Gras last week, we had access the day we were at Maya Chan, and we paid for 24 hours on Day 6.  The D+ internet freebie will be more than we need.

We work while on cruises, usually do b2bs so we bring labotop check emails speak with clients various times of day.  No problem sitting on balcony looking at beautiful ocean with either have a morning latte or afternoon cocktail.  

I rarely carry my phone with me except maybe to use as a clock or check app for ship activities.  

Hubby likes to stream his music while on sundeck or balcony.  Occassionally streamed a movie or 2 too.  

26 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I just bought a new great big usb charger. 🙂 

I did as well. Enough juice to fully charge more than twice. Downside is it's also a wireless charger which means I have to keep them seperated to prevent short charging the phone

Our phones and ipads are so integral to what we do even to relax that I don't think I would ever go without wifi.  We're not "young" or "old."  Squarely middle aged at 41 and 42.  But we are so used to having them with us all the time that it would never even occur to us to put them away, lol.  I know that we're probably some of the people that others consider sad, and it is somewhat pathetic 😉. I have to stay somewhat in touch for my job, although I try to limit it. 

I use my devices to access my Kindle Unlimited subscriptions to read, continuing ed for my career that I'm interested in but don't have time for in my day to day life, play silly games, etc...  But I'm doing it from a beautiful, relaxing place.  

And aside from all that, my husband and I do have a relationship with good conversations- sometimes sparked by things we see on our phones. We've price compared duty free items to the cost back home. We do many things that aren't just frivolous.  

That being said, I admire those who can truly disconnect- I'm way too ADD and plugged in to ever really turn off.  But I figured with so many people saying they lock away their devices, I would fess up to the fact that we use ours rather consistently, lol.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, 2chiefs said:

Is that two days or WiFi or just two days internet access on the ship's computers? We do the same thing on the ship's computers but never thought of using the WiFi. 

You each get 24 hours of free internet via wifi.  Usually an instruction sheet in your cabin on how to set it up, at least there was pre-covid.

Never bought wifi on a cruise. A cruise to me is being disconnected from things like that. I upload pictures when in port at bars we go to that have free wifi. May be a day or two late, but it is free. Older ships tend to have slow wifi anyway. DW would also try to use it to check on things at work, so I don't want to encourage it. If her work paid for it, that would be another thing.

I get wifi.

There are some online forums I like to keep up with.

I check in with my 94 year old Dad almost every day.

And yes, I sort of need to be available for work if a dire emergency.  That is VERY seldom, but it can happen.

Other than Cruise Critic, I’m not on any type of social media - not Facebook, not Twitter, not Instagram, nor SnapChat, not WeChat, not WhatsApp, not Reddit, not Pinterest, not TicTok, and not LinkedIn. Nothing. Zip, zilch, nada. Want nothing to do with it. 

I do spend most of my at-home internet leisure time here on CC, buying things I need from chain store websites for home delivery, streaming shows off of Amazon Prime or PlutoTV, and checking the news. I don’t even have cable. 

My work doesn’t require it. I don’t need to check it, hold virtual meetings, or conduct business of any kind. 

And I love that the time on-ship brings out so far away from “humanity” and the worries of the world that I can use it as an excuse NOT communicate with family and friends LOL. 

So it surprises me that I still buy the ship’s internet package to mainly just check email. Why? I must be insane. 😉 

34 minutes ago, WI-Cruiser said:

You each get 24 hours of free internet via wifi.  Usually an instruction sheet in your cabin on how to set it up, at least there was pre-covid.

Thought that was only for Diamond members and above.

4 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

I got the regular wifi recently and it was slow as molasses.  Have you tried the wifi + streaming?  Is it any faster? 

I'm not sure if we had the fast one or not. We were able to stream a radio show with the wifi on our  2018 cruise, but it was choppy.

If we are cruising outside Europe we will usually buy the one device pack because we do need to be connected for various reasons and it's cheaper than paying for mobile phone calls. The last time we sailed the Caribbean without wifi our phone bill when we got home was nearly double what the internet would have cost.

Sailing in Europe, we would still buy it if it were sensibly priced. On our upcoming (one week to go!!!) Harmony cruise in the Med, it is stupidly expensive so we will make use of our two free D days on the sea days and use our mobile data on port days. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mabbiez said:

That all being said, I don't have my phone glued to my hand the entire cruise. I actually hate the idea of not seeing things as they are happening with my own eyes and instead seeing it all happen through a phone (example is when someone spends an entire concert watching it through their phone because of taking so many pictures and videos). 

I feel the same way you do about this.  I've basically stopped taking pictures at all on vacation.  I found that the people that I showed them to probably didn't care as much as they pretended to, and that I was never going back and looking at the pictures myself.  I prefer just enjoying the moment and not thinking about getting a picture.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 6

24 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I feel the same way you do about this.  I've basically stopped taking pictures at all on vacation.  I found that the people that I showed them to probably didn't care as much as they pretended to, and that I was never going back and looking at the pictures myself.  I prefer just enjoying the moment and not thinking about getting a picture.

This is going to be a huge challenge for me on this upcoming cruise. I’ve been taking pictures for over 50 years, ever since I could get my hands on the earlier Kodak Instamatics with the flash cubes.

Over the decades I advanced through a wide variety of Instamatic, automatic, and 35mm cameras, lenses, cartridge film types, discs (Mavica), and iPhones. I actually upgraded this past Friday from my old iPhone 8 Plus and ordered the new iPhone 13 Pro Max just to take better pictures. I enjoy the challenge of composing and creating beautiful pictures. 

But I realize that I need to step back and enjoy this next cruise on Anthem of the Seas, sit back and actually relax without seeing everything as a possible moment that needed to be recorded and preserved.

However, having the internet does make it easier for all of those pictures to be uploaded to the iCloud or Flickr “as it happens”, so it doesn’t take place all at once when I get back (I take a LOT of pictures). 

And I really do enjoy going back and looking at my pictures from previous cruises. This thread made me reminisce about my time on Allure of the Seas, Royal Princess and Ruby Princess, Celebrity Mercury and Celebrity Millennium, Volendam and Rotterdam, and Queen Mary 2, to name a few over the last 20 years. But I do seem to be the only one that deeply cares about my photography. To quote one of my favorite lines from one of my favorite movies of all time, when I’m gone “All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.” 

• Like 1

If we couldn't get wifi then we would have to cruise less. On a cruise my husband is up working every morning from about 6AM to 9AM on weekdays from the Viking Crown Lounge! He takes meetings all over the world and is able to deduct that time off of his used vacation days. I am able to wifi call my 88 year old mother-in-law everyday like I do from home and she loves that. Different strokes for different folks, but we love our wifi.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I take some pictures when it's something really cool or interesting (to me), but there are some people I know who post pictures of every. single. detail. of their vacations. No one cares that much. 😂 I do like going back and seeing my memories of places I've been, but I don't need a picture of each French fry I eat.

• Like 2

If I was Super Mario and it allowed me to take cruises almost every week of the year....Sure!. Those of us who don't cruise but a few weeks or days out of the year, wifi is not necessary.

Edited by coaster

3 hours ago, chilis said:

Our phones and ipads are so integral to what we do even to relax that I don't think I would ever go without wifi.  We're not "young" or "old."  Squarely middle aged at 41 and 42.  But we are so used to having them with us all the time that it would never even occur to us to put them away, lol.  I know that we're probably some of the people that others consider sad, and it is somewhat pathetic 😉. I have to stay somewhat in touch for my job, although I try to limit it. 

We are similar in age (maybe a few years older 😃) and have the same opinion. Really has nothing to do with work or family, but would not be able to enjoy a vacation without some sort of internet connection. Actually enjoy using vacation to catch up on internet stuff I don’t get around to at home. 

ps - sending this from my balcony on the symphony of the seas…

• Like 4
  • Haha 4