Another reason I would always select my cabin

kalos

6 hours ago, swimming with spaniels said:

It's about half a mile around deck 8 - here is a rather speeded up tour of it (apologies if it makes you dizzy) 😁   

It looks like an obstacle course. Not what I would want in a leisurely amble. Good for practicing your Salsa moves though.

Avril

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Les_ldh said:

I always select my own cabin as well as location is very important to me. I was really looking forward to my upcoming cruise on Ventura where I managed to secure one of the much sought after stern balcony cabins. Unfortunately, I received an email from P&O this morning which said…

Due to our framework of protocols to protect the health and wellbeing of all crew and guests we are currently operating at a reduced guest capacity and we need to take an approved number of cabins out of service.”

Yes you guessed, mine was one of those cabins 😭 Oh well… first world problems.

I hope they give me the option of a refund if the allocated new cabin isn’t acceptable to me.

Les.

Okay so I got my new allocated “upgraded” cabin number, which is R602. So they have upgraded me from a much sought after stern balcony to one directly beneath the Beachcomer bar, a cabin that I would never consider booking under any circumstances which is why I booked select with the no upgrades option. Not only that, there is no option to cancel or move to a later date.

This is totally unacceptable to me so if anyone has any suggestions what to do next I would welcome them.

Les.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

Okay so I got my new allocated “upgraded” cabin number, which is R602. So they have upgraded me from a much sought after stern balcony to one directly beneath the Beachcomer bar, a cabin that I would never consider booking under any circumstances which is why I booked select with the no upgrades option. Not only that, there is no option to cancel or move to a later date.

This is totally unacceptable to me so if anyone has any suggestions what to do next I would welcome them.

Les.

Are you too late to transfer to a different cruise? 

40 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Are you too late to transfer to a different cruise? 

Unfortunately I am. Can’t transfer, can’t get a refund or FCC. I’m waiting for my amended invoice to come through then I’m going to go into battle via my TA, but I’m not feeling optimistic.

Les.

21 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

Unfortunately I am. Can’t transfer, can’t get a refund or FCC. I’m waiting for my amended invoice to come through then I’m going to go into battle via my TA, but I’m not feeling optimistic.

Les.

Good luck ! I hope you have  TA who has a bit of "clout". You have been treated very badly, imho.

Have they at least offered you some OBC as well as the opportunity to actually select a cabin of your choice?

Seeing as P&O are now effectively treating you as Early Saver customer regarding cabin location, it may be worth battling to get your fare reduced to that price and refunded the difference.

It should have been handled much better.

12 minutes ago, Bin man said:

Hi Les difficult for you .You would have thought they would have had the deccentcy to have rang you for with your options  .When is it when you  go? And have you had it booked long ? Hope your T.A . can help 

I booked on launch and due to depart October 31st. I’m using a well known TA in Derbyshire who are always willing to go the extra mile for me. That’s the thing that really annoys me, there doesn’t seem to be any options.

Les.

12 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Have they at least offered you some OBC as well as the opportunity to actually select a cabin of your choice?

Seeing as P&O are now effectively treating you as Early Saver customer regarding cabin location, it may be worth battling to get your fare reduced to that price and refunded the difference.

It should have been handled much better.

They’ve offered nothing apart from the so called upgrade. The only problem with reducing the price to early saver is that I need the coach transfer.

Les.

• Thanks 1

Same thing has happened to me. I deliberately booked select fare and no upgrade but I have been moved from a deck 9 deluxe balcony to deck 15 under the Skydome. The whole reason for choosing the select fare as opposed to saver was to avoid deck 15. There is nothing we can do, we have tried our agent and P&O directly but there are no alternative cabins to offer us. I suspect if we do find it to noisy on the cruise reception will be able to find a cabin but it will probably a standard balcony and not deluxe.

2 hours ago, Les_ldh said:

Les.

Les, if you booked and paid for select why have they "upgraded" you?

As for the cabin location I would be amazed if P&O are not fully aware that 90% of their passengers dislike R deck cabins, and would prefer to have a stern view cabin, whether it was a suite or a standard balcony.

This isn't as a result of them closing off different areas to be available as quarantine cabins?

Edited by terrierjohn

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Les, if you booked and paid for select why have they "upgraded" you?

As for the cabin location I would be amazed if P&O are not fully aware that 90% of their passengers dislike R deck cabins, and would prefer to have a stern view cabin, whether it was a suite or a standard balcony.

This isn't as a result of them closing off different areas to be available as quarantine cabins?

The only information they gave me is that the cabin had been taken out of use due to the new protocols. It was a standard balcony, and I am really gutted that I have been moved. To be honest it has left a very sour taste in my mouth.

20 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

The only information they gave me is that the cabin had been taken out of use due to the new protocols. It was a standard balcony, and I am really gutted that I have been moved. To be honest it has left a very sour taste in my mouth.

Not quite as bad as our's Les we had our accessible cabin booking cancelled and lost the cruise because there were no other accessible cabins available.

2 hours ago, Les_ldh said:

They’ve offered nothing apart from the so called upgrade. The only problem with reducing the price to early saver is that I need the coach transfer.

Les.

I doubt it would work, but might be worth a try.  See if they are prepared to refund the difference between early saver and select, but retain the coach transfer and OBC as a gesture of goodwill from P&O?

The worst they can do is say no, which is where you're at now.  Overall, very poor treatment from P&O.  I  hope you can reach some sort of compromise that you are content with

2 hours ago, smokey01 said:

Same thing has happened to me. I deliberately booked select fare and no upgrade but I have been moved from a deck 9 deluxe balcony to deck 15 under the Skydome. The whole reason for choosing the select fare as opposed to saver was to avoid deck 15. There is nothing we can do, we have tried our agent and P&O directly but there are no alternative cabins to offer us. I suspect if we do find it to noisy on the cruise reception will be able to find a cabin but it will probably a standard balcony and not deluxe.

We were in 15409 last week, which is under the bar of the Skydome.

I can honestly say that we didn't notice noise from the Skydome.  Some noise did seep into the corridor, and onto the balcony though when shows were on.

44 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Not quite as bad as our's Les we had our accessible cabin booking cancelled and lost the cruise because there were no other accessible cabins available.

Oh no that’s really bad, sorry to hear that.

The way that P&O has communicated with passengers over this is absolutely appalling. The least they could have done is to have spoken with you or your TA and given you a choice of available cabins. If for some inexplicable reason that was not possible then again, the least they could have done is to offer some extra obc as a goodwill gesture.

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

The way that P&O has communicated with passengers over this is absolutely appalling. The least they could have done is to have spoken with you or your TA and given you a choice of available cabins. If for some inexplicable reason that was not possible then again, the least they could have done is to offer some extra obc as a goodwill gesture.

That’s never going to happen because for every cruise from now until Christmas they are creating this quarantine area on each ship for each cruise. That could be up to 20+ cabins for 3 ships. Customer service cannot cope now never mind if they had to do that as well.

46 minutes ago, daiB said:

That’s never going to happen because for every cruise from now until Christmas they are creating this quarantine area on each ship for each cruise. That could be up to 20+ cabins for 3 ships. Customer service cannot cope now never mind if they had to do that as well.

I agree with you that it's never going to happen Dai but that's no excuse for the usual poor shoreside customer service from P&O. A little bit of obc costs them very little at a time when their reputation has already suffered from the refund debacle.

• Like 2

In your position I think if the usual channels don't produce an immediate satisfactory outcome (financial or otherwise) I'd contact the Carnival UK President for assistance.

He won't deal with it, of course, and almost certainly won't even see the email, but someone in the Executive Office will, and it's likely to oil the wheels somewhat.  Last time I used this route, on a ship, I had a call within a couple of hours from them and they sorted out the problem by making the Customer Service Manager on the ship do the job he was paid to do (rather than refusing all contact with customers).  

Might be worth a try - nothing to lose.  Just set out very briefly the problem and your preferred solution:

simon.palethorpe@carnivalukgroup.com

• Like 2

4 hours ago, daiB said:

You're cheerleading crown is looking a shade tarnished Dai!😊