Kayaking in Seward or Ketchikan

PhotoGal07

The plan right now is to take the family kayaking as one of our Alaska excursions (me, husband, kids 9 and 11).  Does anyone have any insight into whether Kayaking around Resurrection Bay or on an excursion in Ketchikan would be better?  I don't think I can convince the family to do both, but would love to do one or the other.

I’ve kayaked both places a couple times. We saw otters and seals in Seward, but the waves were a little rough in Resurrection Bay.  In Ketchikan, the guides stayed closer to the shoreline in order to see the colorful starfish, so it was easier paddling.  If the kids have never kayaked, they will love either trip.  

Seward kayaking

https://www.sunnycove.com

In Ketchikan, these guys have an e-bike and hike tour as well as kayaks.

https://www.ketchikankayakco.com

Edited by Suzanne123

I have done kayaking in both places as well.

I always try to kayak at Ketchikan— water is usually pretty calm and the excursion is short enough to be able to visit other places in Ketchikan.  Haven’t seen much wildlife in Ketchikan—birds, starfish, sea urchins.  But it is beautiful. Have used a couple of companies and all have been great.  

I usually see lots of wildlife on a kayak tour in Resurrection Bay—whales, otters, harbor seals, puffins, starfish.  Maybe I’ve been lucky, but the water has always been calm there as well.  I highly recommend Sunny Cove Kayaking.  

If making a choice between the two, I would pick Seward because of the opportunity to see more wildlife.

Edited by disneyochem

• 5 months later...

HI 

I was thinking either Kayaking or eBikes in Ketchikan.  Wasn't sure which one to do.  

Has anyone done the bikes there?    We have whale watching trip booked out of Juneau.

I would do both,  but I want time to walk around and enjoy the town as well.