Alaska cruise- Inside Passage

TMW67

Can someone who has done this roundtrip itinerary please tell me if it goes through the Inside Passage? It does not show a map on Carnival's website with the route. Also, do they travel mostly through the Gulf, or stay inland? Thanks in advance!

*CARNIVAL 7 Days Alaska from Seattle, WA. 

Seattle  4pm
Fun Day At Sea
Cruise Tracy Arm Fjord  
Skagway  7 am - 8 pm
Juneau  7 am - 3 pm
Ketchikan  7 am - 1 pm
Victoria  8 pm - 11:59 pm
Seattle  7 am

We did it in 2016. I may be wrong but, I believe the true Inside Passage departs from Vancouver. The part between Ketchikan and Victoria may have part of the cruise in the open water instead of following along inside of Vancouver Island.

BTW, cruising Tracy Arm is sometimes cancelled because of ice, the alternate route is still awesome.

Got back 8-24-2021, was on the Miracle. Leaving Seattle our route took us west of Vancouver Island and we stayed in open water (first night was a little rough). We entered the passage just south of Baranof Island and stayed inside until we left Ketchikan later in the week. We did do Tracy Arm, lots of small icebergs, no problem for the excursion boats.

• Like 1

The best Inside Passage is sailing from Vancouver...I call that the "true Inside Passage". To get to virtually any of the standard Alaska ports you need to sail a little Inside Passage. But the Inside Passage most everyone talks about requires starting or ending in Vancouver.

• Like 1

We've done your itinerary from Seattle to Seattle and from Seattle to Vancouver.  I suggest doing each once for the variety.  But all other things being equal, after doing both, I would do Seattle to Vancouver again next, but really so we can spend time in Vancouver again.  Both are inside passage.

• Like 1

Not all portions of the Inside Passage are sheltered from the Pacific Ocean

Departures from Seattle skirt the Ocean side of Vancouver Island

Departures from Vancouver would use the Canadian Inside Passage a real narrow strait 

The map best shows the Inside Passage LINK:

Google Maps

Zooom in on the map -

The narrowest portion of the Canadian passage is just north of Campbell River an area

called Seymour narrows LINK:

seymour narrows map - Bing

After the Johnstone Strait the passage widens out into open waters before passing

Graham island and a short spell of open waters before entering the Alaska passage just

south of Ketchikan

With the exception of Sitka and the Hubbard Glacier the cruise activity is within the

sheltered portion of the Inside Passage.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

We've done your itinerary from Seattle to Seattle and from Seattle to Vancouver.  I suggest doing each once for the variety.  But all other things being equal, after doing both, I would do Seattle to Vancouver again next, but really so we can spend time in Vancouver again.  Both are inside passage.

There are extremely few cruises that go Seattle to Vancouver.  Usually just one or two nights, to repo the ship so it can sail from Vancouver to a US port, making it legal under the PSVA. The occasional longer one is usually only done once per year, for the same repo purposes. 

On 9/19/2021 at 3:11 PM, TMW67 said:

Can someone who has done this roundtrip itinerary please tell me if it goes through the Inside Passage? It does not show a map on Carnival's website with the route. Also, do they travel mostly through the Gulf, or stay inland? Thanks in advance!

Seattle  4pm
Fun Day At Sea
Cruise Tracy Arm Fjord  
Skagway  7 am - 8 pm
Juneau  7 am - 3 pm
Ketchikan  7 am - 1 pm
Seattle  7 am

The "Inside Passage" extends from south of Seattle to Skagway and is mostly fairly narrow channels.

You cruise departs Seattle, so it will exit the Inside Passage at Juan de Fuca, which is the US?Canada border. It will then proceed North up the West Coast of Vancouver Island. You are in ocean ocean, far enough offshore that you may only see the tops of the mountains.

In Alaska, you will probably transit most of the Inside Passage between Ketchikan and Skagway; however, a considerable portion of this is at night.

Comments

• Tracy Arm - due to ice in the water you have very low probability of seeing the glacier. I have worked full Alaska seasons and only made it to the glacier once. If glaciers are a priority, this is not a great cruise
  • Juneau - early departure doesn't provide a great shore experience
  • Ketchikan - very early departure, provides minimal time ashore
  • Victoria - if heavy weather in Pacific Ocean your arrival can be late.
  • Like 1

On 9/19/2021 at 3:11 PM, TMW67 said:

Seattle  4pm
Fun Day At Sea
Cruise Tracy Arm Fjord  
Skagway  7 am - 8 pm
Juneau  7 am - 3 pm
Ketchikan  7 am - 1 pm
Seattle  7 am

So you are only in Ketchikan for 6 hours.  Actually 5 hours when you count getting off and reboard times.  That is a real bummer.  

DON

• Like 1

12 hours ago, donaldsc said:

So you are only in Ketchikan for 6 hours.  Actually 5 hours when you count getting off and reboard times.  That is a real bummer.  

DON

Not much happening ashore at 07:00, so I figure about 4 to 4.5 useable hours. They have to account for the hours in Victoria and the extra distance to/from Seattle.

1 minute ago, Heidi13 said:

Not much happening ashore at 07:00, so I figure about 4 to 4.5 useable hours. They have to account for the hours in Victoria and the extra distance to/from Seattle.

On one of our AK trips which was our driving trip, we got from place to place by ferry.  I think that we spent 3 days in Ketchikan.   Just my opinion and obviously not possible for most people but the best way to really see the coastal towns in AK is by ferry.

DON

5 hours ago, donaldsc said:

On one of our AK trips which was our driving trip, we got from place to place by ferry.  I think that we spent 3 days in Ketchikan.   Just my opinion and obviously not possible for most people but the best way to really see the coastal towns in AK is by ferry.

DON

Don,

Totally agree. If you really want to see the Inside Passage of BC and Alaska, a ferry is the best option.

On 9/21/2021 at 2:45 PM, Heidi13 said:

Don,

Totally agree. If you really want to see the Inside Passage of BC and Alaska, a ferry is the best option.

We have actually looked into that (we live in Washington State) but, HOLY COW! The ferries are very expensive!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nini said:

We have actually looked into that (we live in Washington State) but, HOLY COW! The ferries are very expensive!

Yes, totally agree, the ferries are no longer cheap transportation.

However, compared to the average cruise ship, the Bridge Officers are significantly better trained and have vastly superior knowledge of the local inland waterways than the average cruise ship officer. I have received numerous deep sea officers that just couldn't handle the local waters.

All crews are local nationals, in both Alaska & BC Systems. BC can and has built new ships offshore, so that provides sme savings over the US ferry systems. 

On the ferries, all officers and crews are paid a living wag. To give wages some perspective - when our son was promoted to 3rd Officer with Princess he was on a US Contract. Since he received zero benefits, his cost to Princess was less than my lowest paid crew member.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 5:23 PM, Heidi13 said:

Yes, totally agree, the ferries are no longer cheap transportation.

However, compared to the average cruise ship, the Bridge Officers are significantly better trained and have vastly superior knowledge of the local inland waterways than the average cruise ship officer. I have received numerous deep sea officers that just couldn't handle the local waters.

All crews are local nationals, in both Alaska & BC Systems. BC can and has built new ships offshore, so that provides sme savings over the US ferry systems. 

On the ferries, all officers and crews are paid a living wag. To give wages some perspective - when our son was promoted to 3rd Officer with Princess he was on a US Contract. Since he received zero benefits, his cost to Princess was less than my lowest paid crew member.

So your son who was a 3rd officer, received less pay than a Room Steward? Being on US pay - he didn't get any benefits (health insurance, etc..) from Princess? Is he still with Princess?

So those employees from Philipianes were better off?

1 hour ago, Coral said:

So your son who was a 3rd officer, received less pay than a Room Steward? Being on US pay - he didn't get any benefits (health insurance, etc..) from Princess? Is he still with Princess?

So those employees from Philipianes were better off?

Negative. As 3rd Officer with Princess, he made less money than the lowest paid catering crew member on the local ferries. Mind you, when you factor in the length of contracts and the hotel tips, many of the hotel staff will be making about the same in a year, as the junior officers.

He left Princess about 10 yrs ago, as Senior 2nd Officer. Now works on mega yachts.

At that time, Princess had 3 contracts for the Officers - UK, European and US/rest of World. The US/rest of World contract was the worst. As a cadet he received US $900/month when aboard the ship, nothing when he paid-off. Wages were paid monthly onboard in cash. Zero benefits - no health insurance, except onboard, which is a requirements, no vacation, no pension, no schooling, etc.

As 3rd Officer, since he is also a UK citizen, he convinced them to offer a UK contract, which was about double salary and came with pension, sickness benefits, wages paid at school for certificate upgrades, etc.

16 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Negative. As 3rd Officer with Princess, he made less money than the lowest paid catering crew member on the local ferries. Mind you, when you factor in the length of contracts and the hotel tips, many of the hotel staff will be making about the same in a year, as the junior officers.

He left Princess about 10 yrs ago, as Senior 2nd Officer. Now works on mega yachts.

At that time, Princess had 3 contracts for the Officers - UK, European and US/rest of World. The US/rest of World contract was the worst. As a cadet he received US $900/month when aboard the ship, nothing when he paid-off. Wages were paid monthly onboard in cash. Zero benefits - no health insurance, except onboard, which is a requirements, no vacation, no pension, no schooling, etc.

As 3rd Officer, since he is also a UK citizen, he convinced them to offer a UK contract, which was about double salary and came with pension, sickness benefits, wages paid at school for certificate upgrades, etc.

Interesting! There used to be someone on the Princess boards (from the UK) who eventually became a deck cadet for Cunard.

He stopped posting so no clue where he is now.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Coral said:

Interesting! There used to be someone on the Princess boards (from the UK) who eventually became a deck cadet for Cunard.

He stopped posting so no clue where he is now.

The British Cadets have vastly superior terms & conditions than the ones from N/America. When I was a cadet, we were paid whether on the ship, on leave or at college. All tuition and exams were also paid for us and at college, we received full room & board.

If you know the name, I can check the P&O/Princess/Cunard schedules, as I occassionally get a copy of the current schedule.

Edited by Heidi13

4 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The British Cadets have vastly superior terms & conditions than the ones from N/America. When I was a cadet, we were paid whether on the ship, on leave or at college. All tuition and exams were also paid for us and at college, we received full room & board.

If you know the name, I can check the P&O/Princess/Cunard schedules, as I occassionally get a copy of the current schedule.

His name was Andy P Hogg. I was wrong - it appears he was with P&O.  Here is a link from CC where he was posting - wow this was a long time ago!  He went by APH on CC.

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

I looked at the times on land for your cruise.  Of the 7 days that you will be on the ship, you have only 3 landing not counting Victoria with a total of 27 hours on shore.   That is the basic problem w round trip AK cruises and especially ones that go from Seattle to Seattle.  You spend more time on the ship and doing "scenic cruising" that you spend on land in AK.  

DON

4 hours ago, Coral said:

His name was Andy P Hogg. I was wrong - it appears he was with P&O.  Here is a link from CC where he was posting - wow this was a long time ago!  He went by APH on CC.

I can answer my own question. I looked at his LinkedIn Account. He was a Port Operations Manager for Carnival Australia until 2018 and now works for Inchcape Shipping Services as a Country Manager in UK which deals with UK Marine Services operations. Sounds like he has done well!

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I looked at the times on land for your cruise.  Of the 7 days that you will be on the ship, you have only 3 landing not counting Victoria with a total of 27 hours on shore.   That is the basic problem w round trip AK cruises and especially ones that go from Seattle to Seattle.  You spend more time on the ship and doing "scenic cruising" that you spend on land in AK.  

DON

I agree. RT Seattle cruises have awful times in port.