Abbott BinaxNOW Covid test expiration

sambamama

I posted about the expiration dates, and I reviewed the website again.  Yes, they do post about the expiration date (I stand corrected), BUT it is put under the refund policy, so that is certainly deceptive. They list that the product expires in 12 months (although when they wrote to me, they told me my kits expire in 11 months, so I am not actually sure when it expires.  I've seen different dates on the two pages of now-deleted forms.) I am happy to post the email showing that.   They deleted the two pages giving specific expiration dates on Saturday.  In the refund policy, it states that some of the test kits expire as early as December.  Nowhere do they have a statement saying FAQ-expiration date-Note-Our kits expire as soon as December.  In fact, I don't think they have any kits selling that expire later than February.  So, yes, that is deceptive marketing.  Many, many people are buying these kits thinking they last for a year.  Maybe to you it isn't deceptive.  But you aren't an average consumer.  Emed is bilking consumers of their money, and with their no refund policy, bilking them even worse.  So I stand by my words.  I am not spreading misinformation.  I am acting as a consumer advocate.  And how is them getting the letter in April 2021 about extending the expiration misinformation on my part?  If I ran a company that made kits, and the bottom fell out of the market, I myself would apply to see if the the expiration date could be extended.  Again, you are misinterpreting my words.  I don't deny it is a good product.  It's a great idea, and is cleverly marketed.  But selling six packs that you promote with a shelf life of 12 months, and sell through the internet without letting them know when they expire, with a no refund policy can't be considered anything but a scam in anyone's book. 

8 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Tirtles06, Somehow your post makes it look look I was the one making the erroneous statements and spreading misinformation.

Yikes, I am SO sorry.  Since I used the "quote selection" tool in @sambamama's comment 22 above (she is the one who posted the inaccurate info I was correcting), I am not sure how your name got in the quote box in my post.  I have reported my own post and asked the Mods to correct it.  I am very, very sorry.

The Abbott test I just bought from Optum (2 Pk for $69) clearly address the expiration date:

• Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test is FDA Emergency Use Authorized. This test combined with eMed telehealth services, and eMed lab's result, meets conditions of proof of negative COVID-19 test by the CDC.
  • Based on additional studies, the FDA has granted a 3-month expiration extension to all lots. Please refer to this letter: FDA Approval Letter.
  • There is a nationwide short supply of Covid Antigen tests therefore your test kit may expire as soon as December 21, 2021.

On 9/20/2021 at 7:27 AM, Turtles06 said:

It is definitely frustrating that the test kits shipping now have only a few months left before they expire.  Perhaps it helps to understand why, even though, as consumers, it's quite frustrating.  As was reported in the NY Times, the market for test kits took a nosedive in the late spring after vaccines became widely available and the number of Covid cases declined steeply, and Abbott reacted by scaling down production.   Unfortunately, months later, the Delta variant cause the surge in cases in which we are now caught up, and Abbott has had to ramp up operations.  In the meantime, it is clearly shipping the kits it still has on hand.  

The test kits originally had a shelf life of about 9 months, but the FDA extended that to 12 months based on data showing longer shelf-life stability.  The FDA's letter, linked below, is on eMed.com's web site.  (eMed are the folks who proctor the tests, and one of the on-line sellers of the tests.  The other is Optum.)

https://www.emed.com/hubfs/EUA-abbott-binaxNOW-Rev-2021-04-06.pdf?hsLang=en  

The label on the test kit box shows the original expiration date, but it does not show the actual, extended date.  For that, one needs to consult one of the Abbott letters that can be found on line) (do a Google search for your Lot number, e.g. BinaxNow LOT xxx) such as these linked below, that contain lists of the lot numbers and their actual expiration dates:

https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/static/binax-now/COVID-19-Ag-Card-Product-Expiry-Update.pdf

https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case 01269955-COL-03030 BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Home Test Product Expiry Update - Customer Letter EN - US.pdf?hsLang=en

The  number 195-100 is not a lot number.  It is Abbott's catalogue/reference number.  It's not the number linked to an expiration date.   Here's a photo of a test kit box.  You can see 195-100 in two places (circled in yellow and at the red arrow): it's the Reference number.   The LOT number is plainly identified by the word "LOT" -- see the lavender arrow.  It is the LOT number that is tied to an expiration date.  In this case, the original expiration date was Oct. 3, 2021 -- the date next to the hourglass icon, the symbol of the expiration date.  (The lot was manufactured on Feb. 2, 2021, the other date on the label.)   Looking up Lot number 142400 on the second Abbott letter linked above, we find that the extended expiration date is Jan. 3, 2022. 

enhance

The Refund policy on the eMed web site says that:

"We are unable to provide a refund or a replacement kit due to expiration. The FDA granted an additional 3-month shelf life to the printed expiration date on the BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test kits. Current test kit expiration dates may be as early as December 2021. Please review the letter issued by the FDA here for more information: https://eMed.com/FDA."

https://www.emed.com/cancellation-policy?hsLang=en

I hope this additional information is helpful.

Good day, all.  I ordered two - 2 packs of the test for $139.99.  I only received two tests, not four.  In addition, my lot # on the two tests is 143543.  This number isn't listed on any of the documentation that explains the extended expiration date.  The current expiration date is 10-5-2021 and we sail 11-28-2021.  I have contacted them via email and have received this confirmation:  "Thank you for contacting Optum Store support! We have received your request and a ticket has been created. Your ticket number is (203198). Our staff will review your request and get back to you soon."

So far, we are not having a very good experience with this company.  Anyone else have a test that isn't listed on FDA notice?  

Sorry Cruisn’mama, can’t be done.  It is considered a “prescription” by emed and can’t be shared. When you buy the six pack you can only put in three traveler names.  But thanks for the offer, I’m not heartbroken, we live in an extremely rural area, this is the best option for us.  I will buy more for our February cruise when I know they have new expiration dates.

One thing to consider...

You can also use the tests in an unsupervised manner before they expire, just for your own needs.  We gave a couple to our kids so they could test after post-vacation self-quarantine.  Also DGD because she had a cold and wanted to be sure it was nothing more than that.  

They're a bit more expensive than the regular Binax tests, but at least they won't expire and go to waste, and the regular Binax tests are getting harder to find at the drug stores anyhow.  So we're just using them up and will order "fresher" ones later on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beverland said:

Good day, all.  I ordered two - 2 packs of the test for $139.99.  I only received two tests, not four.  In addition, my lot # on the two tests is 143543.  This number isn't listed on any of the documentation that explains the extended expiration date.  The current expiration date is 10-5-2021 and we sail 11-28-2021.  I have contacted them via email and have received this confirmation:  "Thank you for contacting Optum Store support! We have received your request and a ticket has been created. Your ticket number is (203198). Our staff will review your request and get back to you soon."

So far, we are not having a very good experience with this company.  Anyone else have a test that isn't listed on FDA notice?  

The Lot numbers with their extend expiration dates are not listed on the FDA notice, they are listed on various Abbott letters than can be found on line through a Google search. If you look at page 6 of the Abbott letter linked below, you will see Lot Numbers 143543 A,B,C, D and E, showing the original expiration date of Oct. 5, 2021 and the extended expiration date of Jan. 5, 2022.

https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case 01269955-COL-03030 BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Home Test Product Expiry Update - Customer Letter EN - US.pdf?hsLang=en

1 hour ago, sprinkles said:

Beverly , yes my number also does not appear.   The name number preceded by a b c , etc does.  At this point I am assuming that the 10-5 expiration date will be good for November but not for February.   

What is your Lot number?  It's the number on the white label on the box, next to the word "Lot."  (See photo below, lavender arrow.)  You might have to slide the "Do Not Open" sleeve to see the label.

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQYjh24Y9z_OcbtVLcJZ5s4EqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1632135374

51 minutes ago, beverland said:

Thanks, Sprinkles.  What document are you looking at that has Lot number preceded by letters?  The one I looked at only has numbers.

Not all Lot numbers have letters after them.   See, for example, the list of Lot numbers on this Abbott letter, as well as the photo of the label I posted in my comment immediately above.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beverland said:

Tuttles, Lot number is above in original post:  14353.  Thanks!

OMG OMG, we got two test kits a week before we were going to cruise. My brothers test went without a hitch.

I went to do mine. Tried to put the 6 drops into the upper window and found the bottle was completely dry. Telehealth person saw my panicking and then caught on that I tried to switch to my brothers bottle and invalidated the test.

Then spent hours on hold with R/C and kit maker and pretty much told I am SOL.

Then the mass panic trying to find a place last evening how was willing to do a quick test and was turned away at each location.

I got an appointment today a a walk-in medi center were you pay 150 bucks for a quick PCR test and I am good to go.

I would highly recommend anyone who order these test to get at least 2 backup one. Sure your will wasting money but if you went through what I did after last night and the past 19 months it will be well worth it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

What is your Lot number?  It's the number on the white label on the box, next to the word "Lot."  (See photo below, lavender arrow.)  You might have to slide the "Do Not Open" sleeve to see the label.

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQYjh24Y9z_OcbtVLcJZ5s4EqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1632135374

Sorry I was tired and thinking of last weeks research.  ,my lot number is 141804 without any letters after it.  That number only appears on the list with letters after it.  The box expiration has 2021-10-95, I am assuming that this will be good until. January 5 2022.  Will work for November cruise but not for my feb.   At least I will have extras just in case (sorry Defiant).

1 hour ago, sprinkles said:

Sorry I was tired and thinking of last weeks research.  ,my lot number is 141804 without any letters after it.  That number only appears on the list with letters after it.  The box expiration has 2021-10-95, I am assuming that this will be good until. January 5 2022.  Will work for November cruise but not for my feb.   At least I will have extras just in case (sorry Defiant).

I agree; on the Abbott letter linked above I only see Lot 141804 with letters after it, but their original expiration dates are 10/5/21, same as on your box, and extended expiration dates are 1/5/22.  I think your assumption that your box has an extended date of 1/5/22 is correct.

Defiant, if your bottle was dry, and you could not perform the test, then that is definitely a defective test.  It could easily be related to the age of the kit.  You should get a refund for the defective kit as well as its share of the shipping.  Try contacting the company somehow. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/22/2021 at 1:09 PM, sambamama said:

Emed just refunded all my money for my tests.  I will say I saw data on the Emed site that is now longer there showing that not all tests were extended for 12 months. As to whether Emed is still selling those referenced tests, I can't say.  I can say that on Saturday there were two different data sheets showing reference tests 195-000 with different manufacture dates that expired in less than twelve months.  Those sheets were removed and the only thing left now is just the letter saying the tests are good for twelve months. I am not sure if there are any currently manufactured tests even available.  

I ordered the pack of six and now see they'll expire before I need to use them.  I appreciate your tips about consumer protection.  Did Emed require you to pay the return postage?  What number did you finally use to get through to them?  Thank you.

This thread is like a zombie.. Just when you think it is dead, it arises again with the same misinformation about expiry dates and screams of consumer fraud.

Mindy John, if you ordered test kits that are intended to be used shortly after receipt but instead planned on hoarding until a  future date, the problem is yours and not the company's problem.

Such another garbage post. Yes, they work now, but will not in the future.  That is not hoarding that is planning. People will get caught up in this expiration problem at some time, and not that far away.

• 1 month later...

My order came in today 12/1/21 for a cruise that I wanted to use them for this coming March. According to what has been stated these tests will expire 6 days before the cruise date. My question...Can you use an expired test kit? Is anyone even checking for that? 

Edited by rolloman

No, your test won't be valid. The Emed technician will ask you to scan the barcode for the test, and if the test kit has expired, the test won't be valid.  The problem is two fold.  One, shipping is a problem now.  You don't know if your package will come in 3 days or 2 weeks.  So you can't order your tests at the last minute.  If you order from Emed, the tests come in a 6 pack for about $150 plus shipping. That is alot if you are one person, and still a fair bit if you are two people.  You may just casually read the site and see the kits are good for a year, and figure you can use them for other trips, so you don't mind the cost.  Then you get them and the second problem comes up-that many, many of the tests expire within one month to four to five months. I haven't looked at the Emed site to see if it clearly states the expiration date issue since i bought my tests.  At least with the other company you are only buying two tests.  

This is not misinformation and it is not consumer fraud.  Hiding expiration dates under conditions where the company says they won't return a product instead of clearly posting it on the website is a deceptive act.  You shouldn't have to read every single bit of information and fine print before buying a product.  Buying a test kit and expecting it not to expire for three months is not an unreal expectation. Consumers have a right to expect a product to do what it is designed for.  Emed designed these products to be used for travel.  If you are selling them in a quantity of six, you wouldn't be using them all right away.  If they cost $30, you may not mind.  I think mine were around $170 with shipping, and I did mind.  And Emed did refund my money, and they let me keep the kits.  I used one for my cruise, and I had no use for the others as my next trip I could use them for ends January 31, and they expire in early January.  

I have a great deal of knowledge about consumer protection statutes and what constitutes a violation.  Certainly these kits do in CT and MA.  (Assuming they haven't rectified their website about the early expiration of most of the tests.) 

I went to buy the tests from eMed for my upcoming cruise and it has me enter the names of me and my passengers to verify we are eligible to use those tests.  I believe I can get the cost of the tests partially reimbursed by my insurance but worry that if there's other people's names attached to the tests that they might deny my insurance claim.  Does it matter if I input their names into eMed when I purchase the tests or can I just buy them all under my name and give some to my passengers to use?

1 hour ago, sambamama said:

.................... I haven't looked at the Emed site to see if it clearly states the expiration date issue since i bought my tests.  At least with the other company you are only buying two tests.  ......................................

Since I have a cruise in March as a single what "other company" are you referencing?