Eased US Restrictions For UK And EU Residents

Fouremco

According to this CNN article, the US will announce today that restrictions will be eased for fully vaccinated residents wishing to visit the US, starting in November. https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/20/politics/biden-administration-international-travel-restrictions/index.html

The story is silent on Canadians, but gives some reason for hope. Depending upon the actual effective date, this might mean that those Canadians booked on the Apex TA will be allowed to sail. 

We'll have to wait for Biden's official announcement later today for the full details.

Interesting. So why no news on the Land Border? It would seem to me  that if he's opening up to international visitors that maybe the Land border would open a bit sooner? Maybe they want to wait until tomorrow so as not to appear to be interfering with the election, one way or the other? Also interesting that it says you must be vaccinated to travel into the US. Not sure what vaccines they'll accept and does this mean no more antigen tests? 

4 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Interesting. So why no news on the Land Border? It would seem to me  that if he's opening up to international visitors that maybe the Land border would open a bit sooner? Maybe they want to wait until tomorrow so as not to appear to be interfering with the election, one way or the other? Also interesting that it says you must be vaccinated to travel into the US. Not sure what vaccines they'll accept and does this mean no more antigen tests? 

Well, looks like the land border will stay closed

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/united-states-biden-travel-1.6182300

26 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

It says you still need to test three days prior to entry.

34 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Well, looks like the land border will stay closed

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/united-states-biden-travel-1.6182300

Meanwhile, CTV news says its still uncertain

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/canada-u-s-border-impact-uncertain-after-u-s-says-foreign-visitors-will-have-to-be-vaccinated-1.5592401

So I guess we wait ......

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

The story is silent on Canadians, but gives some reason for hope. Depending upon the actual effective date, this might mean that those Canadians booked on the Apex TA will be allowed to sail. 

Not entirely.  Buried in the original reporting is that the new regulations would replace all of the patchwork of separate orders for each country/group of countries that exist now

...relaxing a patchwork of bans that had begun to cause fury in Europe and replacing them with more uniform requirements for inbound international air passengers...[CNN]

I would read into that, that Canada, Europe, UK would all be treated similarly; and I would expect the US/Can land border to open in early November

1 hour ago, scottbee said:

Not entirely.  Buried in the original reporting is that the new regulations would replace all of the patchwork of separate orders for each country/group of countries that exist now

...relaxing a patchwork of bans that had begun to cause fury in Europe and replacing them with more uniform requirements for inbound international air passengers...[CNN]

I would read into that, that Canada, Europe, UK would all be treated similarly; and I would expect the US/Can land border to open in early November

As good as guess as any I suppose. Looks like we'll be cancelling our flights from the US. I had hoped by now all would be well. At this point, flying from Canada in November is probably not a bad thing given that everyone will have to be vaccinated to fly. That will likely never happen in the US.

3 hours ago, scottbee said:

As the US has decided to extend the current restrictions until at least October 21, I really don't think that this approach for uniform requirements actually applies to Mexico and Canada. If it did, they would have included us in a single UK, EU, Canada and Mexico announcement.

The other point to consider is it would appear that the lifted ban for UK and EU residents applies to flights to the US, something we already enjoy. Where the uniform requirements come into play is that Canadians will now have to provide proof of vaccination in order to fly to the US come November.

As residents of Spain will be able to enter the US if fully vaccinated and testing negative, I'm waiting to see what impact this will have on Canadians booked on the Apex TA, or other lines' TA that include a stop in a Schengen country.

33 minutes ago, ByThePond said:

This will also drive discussion on what constitutes “fully vaccinated” for air travel to the U.S. - including mixed AZ/MRNA - which should then factor in to U.S. cruises. 

Yes. And right now we can fly into the US regardless of whether or not we are unvaccinated but come November if we are AZ/mRNA we won't be??? I need clarification asap as do many others so hop to it Biden 🤦🤣

• Like 1

I caught a brief discussion on CNN about reopening the land border. One anchor said "sources" have indicated the Whitehouse is trying to keep the same policy for Canada and Mexico. No indication of how official the sources are. Consensus was it didn't make much sense given current Canadian covid stats.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, broberts said:

I caught a brief discussion on CNN about reopening the land border. One anchor said "sources" have indicated the Whitehouse is trying to keep the same policy for Canada and Mexico. No indication of how official the sources are. Consensus was it didn't make much sense given current Canadian covid stats.

Many people on here have been saying that for a while.

The reason the Canadian land border is closed is because for some reason (and I don't want to understand laws in the U.S.) if they open up the Canadian border they have to open the Mexico border.

12 hours ago, K_e_short said:

Many people on here have been saying that for a while.

The reason the Canadian land border is closed is because for some reason (and I don't want to understand laws in the U.S.) if they open up the Canadian border they have to open the Mexico border.

I don't believe that they "have to" treat both borders equally, it's a question of choosing to do so. With the change in Administration, there was some hope that the US would return to the friendlier attitude that it had once shown towards Canada, but that increasingly appears not to be the case.

• Like 2